Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who are all of us? Non Cricket  (Read 12931 times)

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
Re: Who are all of us? Non Cricket
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2008, 11:08:34 AM »

bah. to know more about me than i have already (dangerously) let be known on this DG, you have to come to Dubai and meet me.

aa firangi aaaa
In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in a clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness. Our life is a long and arduous quest after Truth.
-- Mohandas K *hi

achutank

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2008, 02:23:33 PM »

My name is-- wait for it-- Sahir.  Bet you could never have guessed. :D  I'm a law student at Syracuse University (expected graduation May 2007).  My interests...hmmm...I hate cricket ;D,  but seriously, I love tennis-- in fact, I was a nationally ranked junior tennis player.  Also like playing chess and basketball.  Played some baseball for a while in high school, but soon quit because I quickly made the varsity tennis team.  Pretty obvious that I'm sports crazy, but am also a bit of a movie buff.  And oh yeah...how could I forget-- I really like apples and apple pie. :P

kahan gaye woh log?  :icon_jokercolor: :wave:
there is more than meets the i

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2008, 01:51:37 AM »

My name is-- wait for it-- Sahir.  Bet you could never have guessed. :D  I'm a law student at Syracuse University (expected graduation May 2007).  My interests...hmmm...I hate cricket ;D,  but seriously, I love tennis-- in fact, I was a nationally ranked junior tennis player.  Also like playing chess and basketball.  Played some baseball for a while in high school, but soon quit because I quickly made the varsity tennis team.  Pretty obvious that I'm sports crazy, but am also a bit of a movie buff.  And oh yeah...how could I forget-- I really like apples and apple pie. :P

kahan gaye woh log?  :icon_jokercolor: :wave:
He must have become a hot-shot lawyer by now
Play with heart. Win with class. Lose with dignity

TheChowmeinWarrior

• One Day Star
  • tera maan-ki...sorry..monkey!
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2008, 05:12:31 PM »

woah..cant believe i havent seen this thread before...

ok..here goes..

Names Gavin..born in Lucknow..raised in Fujairah (Dhruv you'll know where that is..if youre really from dubai..hrmmm.. :icon_scratch:)..to the rest of you...I'm from Dubai..

moved to Australia in 2006 for uni..recently graduated...currently unemployed... ;D..hopefully that shall change soon..(if the interview I had today went as well as i thought it did...)..I am..of all things..a journalist..sadly not yet a cricket journalist..(not for lack of trying..Cricinfo..you don't know what youre missing out on!)..but I'm getting there!!

A massive fan of Dravid and Kumble..appreciate Tendulkars genius as well...think Harbhajan is a waste of space and that Ganguly is...well...*whispers*..worth his place in the test team for now...(HA! WILL NEVER ADMIT THAT AGAIN!)...

Aside from cricket...the great love of my life is Arsenal..absolutely madly in love with that team..Cesc Fabregas is the greatest thing since bread was invented..(on his good days he surpasses that)..but yeah..that about covers things..
"Test cricket may be compared to the finest Scotch, 50-overs a side to Indian Made Foreign Liquor, and 20-20 to the local hooch."

sudzz

• Team of the Century
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2008, 07:21:10 PM »

ok..here goes..

Names Gavin..born in Lucknow..raised in Fujairah (Dhruv you'll know where that is..if youre really from dubai..hrmmm.. :icon_scratch:)..to the rest of you...I'm from Dubai..

Fujairah aint Dubai mate!!!  ;D

You mean you lived in a village near Dubai... :icon_jokercolor:

TheChowmeinWarrior

• One Day Star
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2008, 02:00:20 AM »

:-[ (it was a nice village!)
"Test cricket may be compared to the finest Scotch, 50-overs a side to Indian Made Foreign Liquor, and 20-20 to the local hooch."

sudzz

• Team of the Century
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2008, 03:15:54 AM »

:-[ (it was a nice village!)

Oh it still is..as good as it gets in the middle of desert!!

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2008, 05:55:36 AM »

ok..here goes..

Fujairah aint Dubai mate!!!  ;D

You mean you lived in a village near Dubai... :icon_jokercolor:

hahah aint that the truth  ::Whip:: ::Whip:: ::Whip::

Fj is NICE though
In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in a clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness. Our life is a long and arduous quest after Truth.
-- Mohandas K *hi

TheChowmeinWarrior

• One Day Star
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2008, 03:49:48 AM »

haha..fuj was an awesome place to grow up..granted..it didnt have as much to do as dubai did..but i had a pretty fun time there...guess as long as you have friends around no place seems that bad..haha.. :evil4:

interesting that we have quite a few dubai-ians here..everyone working? or anyone aside from dhruv grow up there?

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2008, 04:55:29 AM »

haha..fuj was an awesome place to grow up..granted..it didnt have as much to do as dubai did..but i had a pretty fun time there...guess as long as you have friends around no place seems that bad..haha.. :evil4:

interesting that we have quite a few dubai-ians here..everyone working? or anyone aside from dhruv grow up there?

sudzz is still in the process of growing up  ::Whip:: ::Whip::
-- Mohandas K *hi

sudzz

• Team of the Century
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2008, 05:21:35 AM »

Yeah like that is ever going to happen!!! he he he thats one task I will never accomplish... :icon_jokercolor: ;D

Libran

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2008, 06:06:03 AM »

Yeah like that is ever going to happen!!! he he he thats one task I will never accomplish... :icon_jokercolor: ;D

are you very short ...  ;)

sudzz

• Team of the Century
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2008, 07:07:03 AM »

are you very short ...  ;)

Well thats the long and short of growing up I guess...

caught and bowled

• Team of the Century
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2008, 03:09:02 PM »

We were in Dubai  from 1992-2001 so in that sense I "grew" up there too. We would pass by Fujairah on our way to Khor Fakkan and stop at Fujairah Hilton for a loo break. They also had a tiny little building they would call the the World Trade Centre.

Wadi sheer (if I can remember the name correctly..) was one place off the khor Fakkan-Fujairah road where I have been very often...

TheChowmeinWarrior

• One Day Star
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »

it was the Fujairah Trade Centre! and it wasnt tiny! (was just rather small)..Wadi Sheer? don't remember that...though if its on the khor-fakkan/fujairah highway it sounds like it could be Wadi Madah or Wadi Wurraiyah..did it have a small waterfall and a pool that was brilliant for diving into?

oh and did you know? the fuj hilton is the smallest in the world! ;D

yes..we do things differently in fuj..... :-[

meaningless

• Spectator
  • Did Some one say beer????????
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2008, 04:46:54 AM »

Hey All ...

I'm Rehan Ahmed Basically I'm From Pakistan but right now I'm Living In Dubai ...

I'm A Great Fan of cricket specially India Vs Pakistan and  India Vs Aussies vs (Pakistan )*...

Ahh these Matches make me tense And also thrilled too ...

I hope i will learn some thing From you guys ...:)

Keep in touch :)

Blwe_torch

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • Last man standing
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2008, 05:14:10 AM »

Hey All ...

I'm Rehan Ahmed Basically I'm From Pakistan but right now I'm Living In Dubai ...

I'm A Great Fan of cricket specially India Vs Pakistan and  India Vs Aussies vs (Pakistan )*...

Welcome Meaningless!

sudzz

• Team of the Century
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2008, 08:21:34 AM »

Hey All ...

Welcome Rehan, may the UAE tribe increase...

Jack

• One Day Star
    • Jack's Bar and Lounge
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2008, 07:07:15 PM »

JayaRam here from Canada. .....i am pretty sure i do not know anyone from here by any chance at all.
But enjoying the time here so far since  I joined here a few days ago.

Jack for just name -- JackPot Jack....

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2008, 06:50:15 AM »

JayaRam here from Canada. .....i am pretty sure i do not know anyone from here by any chance at all.
But enjoying the time here so far since  I joined here a few days ago.

Jack for just name -- JackPot Jack....

where in canada sirjee
-- Mohandas K *hi

Flamingo

• First Class Player
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2009, 01:28:54 AM »

I couldn't find an "introduce yourself" style thread, so I thought this would suffice. Hello, I'm new!  I'm from London, working in finance.  Quite new to cricket, so don't shoot me down if i say something that makes no sense  :nono:

8)

Blwe_torch

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • Last man standing
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2009, 02:30:49 AM »

Welcome Flamingo!
I hope you'd find like-minded cricket-lovers here on this forum.
Have a great time!

CLR James

• Team of the Century
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2009, 12:49:08 PM »

Welcome Flamingo!

sudzz

• Team of the Century
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2009, 05:35:39 PM »

I couldn't find an "introduce yourself" style thread, so I thought this would suffice. Hello, I'm new!  I'm from London, working in finance.  Quite new to cricket, so don't shoot me down if i say something that makes no sense  :nono:

8)

Welcome aboard Flamingo, do tell us which team do you support as well?

Flamingo

• First Class Player
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2009, 02:26:21 PM »

8)

Oh right!  I can't say I support any team in particular.  I have Indian roots, so I guess I support India to some extent! I quite like Gambhir and Dhoni - although Dhoni's voice irritates the shingles out of me!  I can't watch any post match interviews with him  :P  The turbanator's quite good at what he does usually, although he seems a bit uncouth.

In terms of english players - pietersen and strauss.  strauss makes a good captain i think!

The IPL is the biggest joke man has ever created, so i refuse to support any of those teams.  :nono:

Blwe_torch

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • Last man standing
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2009, 03:31:41 PM »

8)

Oh right!  I can't say I support any team in particular.  I have Indian roots, so I guess I support India to some extent! I quite like Gambhir and Dhoni - although Dhoni's voice irritates the shingles out of me!  I can't watch any post match interviews with him  :P  The turbanator's quite good at what he does usually, although he seems a bit uncouth.

In terms of english players - pietersen and strauss.  strauss makes a good captain i think!

The IPL is the biggest joke man has ever created, so i refuse to support any of those teams.  :nono:

It is very nice to meet you here.
I am sure, we would learn a lot about english cricket from you.....and ofcourse, we would look forward to your perspective about Indian cricket too.

Flamingo

• First Class Player
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2009, 12:29:12 AM »

8)

I am sure, we would learn a lot about english cricket from you

You probably won't  :P

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
  • Thanda Thanda Kool Kool
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2009, 03:44:38 AM »

Good to have another posting member. Welcome.
Sachin Tendulkar gave the muhurat clap for 'Awwal Number' - that apart, he hasn't done much wrong in the last 20 yrs!

Blwe_torch

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • Last man standing
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2009, 01:28:09 PM »

8)

I am sure, we would learn a lot about english cricket from you

You probably won't  :P

Never mind..............we are glad to have you amongst us. Happy posting!

Pierson

• Spectator
craze for cricket in india
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2011, 05:32:22 AM »

Cricket-crazy Indians accept heroes in the field as their role models. They spend hours in front of TV to relish cricket match and taste bat and ball on wayside or here and there, wherever possible. Though, there have been many controversies yet the popularity of cricket has remained intact. Cricket matches are still something like grand feasts to eyes and mind. We cannot separate ourselves from cricket.

Sports were earlier linked to good health because love for a game clearly means playing that game. Now in the changed scenario, sports are associated with glamour and commercial Prospects attached with them. Cricket is undoubtedly the most
popular game in India. Extravaganzas created by this sport overshadow other sports in India. Hockey is the national game of India but it occupies a lower position on the popularity scale, whereas cricket is at the zenith.

An impartial study of the popularity of cricket reveals many exciting facts. People try to associate themselves with the games and sports which bring accolade for India. As far as cricket is concerned, it has been able to bring many laurels for our country. When India won Cricket World Cup in 1983, every Indian became familiar with Kapil Dev (who was the captain of Indian Cricket Team in 1983). Who does not know Gavasakar and Tendulkar? But Hockey legends are not on the lips of masses despite their charismatic endeavors for raising the head of nation high. This is the brief picture of attraction for cricket.

In the age of commercialization and stiff competition, promoters look everything from the business point of view. What is more, sports heroes who are role models for millions of young people advertise the products of their promoter companies. Companies put their stakes only with those games which have roaring popularity. The government is not an exception to this trend. It also promotes the sports which have remarkable hold in public. In a democracy like ours the government tries its best to fulfill the wishes of the masses.

Cricket has some noteworthy virtues also. Its wider paraphernalia attract the attention of even wider audience. Discipline, dress sense of players, its unpredictable nature and excitement are such that other games are suppressed. Other sports, particularly in India, do not have such promoters and spectators. During cricket play media, both electronic and print, celebrate the occasion for their commercial purposes. Media, public, government, companies and legacy of the British are some of the factors responsible for this popularity.

If given half a chance, so many of tribal youths can turn into potential world champions in archery while children of fisher-folk can be the future champions in aquatics. Cricket is not solely responsible behind the decaying popularity of other games. If some sports do not get adequate coverage, cricket should not be blamed.hockey is the national game of india just for the name sake.and cricket is served as a religion in india.

Blwe_torch

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • Last man standing
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2011, 07:44:28 AM »

Nice post Pierson...welcome.
I wish a healthy sporting culture develops in India...where ppl would enjoy any sports they take part in....and not only with the motivation of earning money.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up