Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: On the cricket fans' Idol Worship (title modified to remove author!)  (Read 22907 times)

MockTurtle

Re: On the cricket fans' Idol Worship (title modified to remove author!)
« Reply #200 on: December 14, 2006, 07:25:30 AM »

WOW...

I stand up and applaud Prem Panicker and am willing to run three laps of Wankhede stark naked for accussing him.

He is right and Iam wrong about Indians being more interested in individuals than the team...a discussion that started about whether he was right to paint all Indian spectators with the same brush is now all about SG v/s GC and not about Prem and his article.

This from a articulate, well read and mostly well off bunch of Indians who are if nothing physically thousands of miles away from where the action is.

Applause to Prem for showing us who we really are....and thanks to Fineleg for reiterating Prem's point unequivocally though inadvertantly.

::zzz:: actually Prem is discussed more than anyone else here. sorry, somehow, all judgemental/preaching posts get to me....

Why only here.....check Bollywood

Amar Prem
Main Prem ki Deewanee hoon
Luv(Prem) ke liye kuch be karega

The hero's name in Maine Pyaar Kiya...was Prem

::)

;D

dave_dj

• Team of the Century
« Reply #201 on: December 14, 2006, 07:26:40 AM »

Prem Pujari - that's the real one.

MockTurtle

« Reply #202 on: December 14, 2006, 07:28:09 AM »

who is prem pujari? (oh uh, now sudzz will admonish me for diluting the thread with banter ... ;D) just kidding, sudzz!

sudzz

• Team of the Century
« Reply #203 on: December 14, 2006, 07:32:20 AM »

who is prem pujari? (oh uh, now sudzz will admonish me for diluting the thread with banter ... ;D) just kidding, sudzz!

He He He....you guys forgot the original...naam hai mera Prem.......Prem Chopra......Ha Ha Ha Ha

dave_dj

• Team of the Century
« Reply #204 on: December 14, 2006, 07:34:01 AM »

Whoever is in this DG - I was just listing a Bollywood movie (with Prem in it) by Dev Anand (Amrish Puri's first movie) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066241/

Libran

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #205 on: December 14, 2006, 07:36:01 AM »

He He He....you guys forgot the original...naam hai mera Prem.......Prem Chopra......Ha Ha Ha Ha

Should it not read naam hai mera Chopra.......Prem Chopra.....the surname first....In these times of reservations...it is important  :P

Poochandi

• One Day Star
« Reply #206 on: December 14, 2006, 07:39:17 AM »

'Prem'anandha

MockTurtle

« Reply #207 on: December 14, 2006, 07:41:48 AM »

Whoever is in this DG - I was just listing a Bollywood movie (with Prem in it) by Dev Anand (Amrish Puri's first movie) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066241/

heh, and i thought prem pujuris are all those who worship Prem and his writing ;-)

that reminds me of something. when i used to post on sightscreen, i always used to add a ";-)" instead of a smiley. and it irked Prem so much that he commented on my sarcastic "winkey". and i had to explain to him that i am just a lazy person who doesn't use the SHIFT key and hence the winkey for smiley.

Libran

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #208 on: December 14, 2006, 07:43:54 AM »

heh, and i thought prem pujuris are all those who worship Prem and his writing ;-)

that reminds me of something. when i used to post on sightscreen, i always used to add a ";-)" instead of a smiley. and it irked Prem so much that he commented on my sarcastic "winkey". and i had to explain to him that i am just a lazy person who doesn't use the SHIFT key and hence the winkey for smiley.

Managed to get his goatey :)

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #209 on: December 14, 2006, 09:04:30 AM »

but u have to use the shift to get the ) in ;-)
so why not the : in :-)

:P

Shukla

• World XI Star
« Reply #210 on: December 14, 2006, 09:08:55 AM »

and you probably used the SHIFT key to type the word SHIFT (unless you prefer caps lock to shift key for some reason).

MockTurtle

« Reply #211 on: December 14, 2006, 10:07:43 AM »

and you probably used the SHIFT key to type the word SHIFT (unless you prefer caps lock to shift key for some reason).

i know i know - but i use it minimally, in fact, i rarely capitalize coz of that and winkey for smiley was merely that reason and not to "wink" at prem  ;D

flute202020

« Reply #212 on: December 14, 2006, 12:41:51 PM »

FL:

Maybe you are missing the point that just as you think that this particular player (whoever he is) is hurting the team because he is no good anymore (according to you), there are others that feel that the team is better off with this player in the team because he is not done yet.

Isnt looking at his issue  only from your perspective reflective of self referent bias -- as in only you hold the team's interest above the player and the others with an opposite POV do not ?

Stop to consider the fact that they may also put the team first, but believe that the team would be better off with this hypothetical hero in the team than out.

Kban,
That is a reasonable stmt - i have to agree.

However, the issue then becomes what if the selector(s) or coach happens to have the belief or POV that some of us fans (myself included) also happen to have...then they proceed to execute on their beliefs. Right or wrong, they are not intending "harm" or "malice" to any one person based on their country, caste/creed, state, or "status"...they are executing based on their beliefs out of good faith.

(The execution may have involved hard decisions and some debateable push/shove/email activities - but they thought they have to go all out to achieve their belief)

In this case, if fans start going up in arms and rioting, well, not sure how any exec team can achieve decisions or try out what they believe in?

Fineleg...just equate this with the recent demonstration by Doctors against reservations or the uprising during the tabling of the Mandal Commision report...What were the demonstrations for ?

While it was a fact that it was the anguish of the individual impact that played a role, it was also the common goal of ensuring that the future did not have an adverse impact. Here too, the executive thought they did the correct thing...a parliamentary tabling of report, calling for making it a law, whatever.

People who thought it was good , kept quiet.Those who thought otherwise called it political games and fought it.

Similar is the case here. Just that it happened to an individual...but the truth is the fight is against the system...the individual is only a trigger.
ravi, I did be very happy if what you say is true, but alas you are very far from facts. It is really streching to imagine that all those effigy burning idiots where protesting for a systematic change in cricket set up. If indeed they did, they did a very poor job of presenting their case and in fact they hurt Indian cricket in the process.

in fact, if they were so concerned about indian cricket primarily, they would have protested about the green top in culcutta too. Some of them would not have booed the team in eden garden and also some of them on this DG would not have invented reasons to brush aside the treacherous politics in creating a green top in culcutta.

I am not keen on discussing the 'perceived" politics involved in Kolkata because that will have to be done with a stopover in Nagpur....I do not have the time for these virtual visits

However,we have seen the results of not being used to playing on green tops....maybe,just maybe the "effigy burning idiots" were right after all......in not protesting against the greentop..because now almost everyone is talking of fast, bouncy wickets for domestic cricket
Ravi, why the selective dislike? I was appalled at nagpur and said the same in no uncertain terms. If same thing was done in Culcutta, it just goes to show that JD group too is a bunch of crooks and traiterous. if you have no problems with nagpur then that is a different issue.

Also, our team performance is not the issue under consideration here. It is about a group backstabbing indian team to get back at their political opponent. No other country in the world prepares a pitch which favours the opponents and the amazing thing is you are supporting it because you think it will our failure on such pitches.  ::)

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #213 on: December 14, 2006, 12:46:13 PM »

problem is alternative press, release and press of SHIFT  ;D ;D ;D

MockTurtle

« Reply #214 on: December 14, 2006, 01:22:40 PM »

FL:

Maybe you are missing the point that just as you think that this particular player (whoever he is) is hurting the team because he is no good anymore (according to you), there are others that feel that the team is better off with this player in the team because he is not done yet.

Isnt looking at his issue  only from your perspective reflective of self referent bias -- as in only you hold the team's interest above the player and the others with an opposite POV do not ?

Stop to consider the fact that they may also put the team first, but believe that the team would be better off with this hypothetical hero in the team than out.

Kban,

However, the issue then becomes what if the selector(s) or coach happens to have the belief or POV that some of us fans (myself included) also happen to have...then they proceed to execute on their beliefs. Right or wrong, they are not intending "harm" or "malice" to any one person based on their country, caste/creed, state, or "status"...they are executing based on their beliefs out of good faith.

(The execution may have involved hard decisions and some debateable push/shove/email activities - but they thought they have to go all out to achieve their belief)

In this case, if fans start going up in arms and rioting, well, not sure how any exec team can achieve decisions or try out what they believe in?

Fineleg...just equate this with the recent demonstration by Doctors against reservations or the uprising during the tabling of the Mandal Commision report...What were the demonstrations for ?

While it was a fact that it was the anguish of the individual impact that played a role, it was also the common goal of ensuring that the future did not have an adverse impact. Here too, the executive thought they did the correct thing...a parliamentary tabling of report, calling for making it a law, whatever.

People who thought it was good , kept quiet.Those who thought otherwise called it political games and fought it.

Similar is the case here. Just that it happened to an individual...but the truth is the fight is against the system...the individual is only a trigger.
ravi, I did be very happy if what you say is true, but alas you are very far from facts. It is really streching to imagine that all those effigy burning idiots where protesting for a systematic change in cricket set up. If indeed they did, they did a very poor job of presenting their case and in fact they hurt Indian cricket in the process.

in fact, if they were so concerned about indian cricket primarily, they would have protested about the green top in culcutta too. Some of them would not have booed the team in eden garden and also some of them on this DG would not have invented reasons to brush aside the treacherous politics in creating a green top in culcutta.

I am not keen on discussing the 'perceived" politics involved in Kolkata because that will have to be done with a stopover in Nagpur....I do not have the time for these virtual visits

However,we have seen the results of not being used to playing on green tops....maybe,just maybe the "effigy burning idiots" were right after all......in not protesting against the greentop..because now almost everyone is talking of fast, bouncy wickets for domestic cricket
Ravi, why the selective dislike? I was appalled at nagpur and said the same in no uncertain terms. If same thing was done in Culcutta, it just goes to show that JD group too is a bunch of crooks and traiterous. if you have no problems with nagpur then that is a different issue.

Also, our team performance is not the issue under consideration here. It is about a group backstabbing indian team to get back at their political opponent. No other country in the world prepares a pitch which favours the opponents and the amazing thing is you are supporting it because you think it will our failure on such pitches.  ::)

i agree with you completely. it is indeed a shame that we let our internal politics dictate and forget the bigger picture. both associations, if they did it as a way to "prove a point" should be condemned.  talking about hypocrisy, most of our media maintained a dignified silence on the former and all their focus was on "did SG feign an injury" and in the latter, they made a lot more noise.

not being xenophobic but the fact that we are willing to believe an australian over an indian despite not having concrete evidence is rather interesting too, imo. it is more the case of enemy of an enemy is a friend philosophy!

sudzz

• Team of the Century
« Reply #215 on: December 14, 2006, 01:29:20 PM »

FL:

Kban,

Also, our team performance is not the issue under consideration here. It is about a group backstabbing indian team to get back at their political opponent. No other country in the world prepares a pitch which favours the opponents and the amazing thing is you are supporting it because you think it will our failure on such pitches.  ::)

i agree with you completely. it is indeed a shame that we let our internal politics dictate and forget the bigger picture. both associations, if they did it as a way to "prove a point" should be condemned.  talking about hypocrisy, most of our media maintained a dignified silence on the former and all their focus was on "did SG feign an injury" and in the latter, they made a lot more noise.

not being xenophobic but the fact that we are willing to believe an australian over an indian despite not having concrete evidence is rather interesting too, imo. it is more the case of enemy of an enemy is a friend philosophy!

As I have always maintained the god dammed chairman of Vidharba cricket association who made the comment, I think I would like to see them dance to the pace of aussies should be made to face just one over of brett lee at full tilt and then talk....

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #216 on: December 14, 2006, 01:38:01 PM »

As I have always maintained the god dammed chairman of Vidharba cricket association who made the comment, I think I would like to see them dance to the pace of aussies should be made to face just one over of brett lee at full tilt and then talk....

Why an effigy. Just burn this fellow  >:( >:( >:(
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up