Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The frequent posters thread.. parallel to non-posters thread.  (Read 10883 times)

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
The frequent posters thread.. parallel to non-posters thread.
« on: September 07, 2006, 06:02:47 PM »

Guys and gals..as if we needed this thread...

Please discuss your issues around the "non-posters thread" topic on this thread...maybe only the "heavy posters" should post here!

--
I noticed that only about 40 out of the 288 members (13%)  have more than 200 posts. That means a whopping 87% of the members are not "really" active. Of course, some of them are new but that is a lot of inaction.

Can we hear from them on this thread? Cricket.. DG- what they like, what they dont, why they dont post, under what circumstances would the post etc.

Can the regular posters (those with > 200 posts and/or active new members) please NOT post on this thread. If needed, we can create a separate such thread for the "heavy" posters with > 200 posts. Wonder if Mods can enforce this?

My motivation behind this is very simple...
1. I think this DG is a wonderful community of individuals. [Personally, I learn a lot from the discussions here ..how to to finetune my arguments, my biases/predilections (we all have blind spots!) etc]
2. I think the DG can become better, if more people participated in it ..rather than the same old 40 odd "heavy" posters ..
3. I also think (my opinion!) that 80+ % of members not participating is a travesty..I am sure some of them have something to add...
4. Hope this thread helps in getting them to post or atleast learning about them.
--
Play with heart. Win with class. Lose with dignity

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
The frequent posters thread.. parallel to non-posters thread.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 06:04:58 PM »

Part of the reason why we can't attract new people or why new people don't choose to post (and some of them are my friends and I've talked to them about it) is that there are so many in-side jokes, so much "banter" that goes on, that it completely dilutes whatever cricketing debates that might be going on. Of course, it's fun, for a close-knit group of people, but to expect "outsiders" to enjoy that kind of thing, when they're here looking for a cricket forum, is a tough ask.

flute202020

Re: The frequent posters thread.. parallel to non-posters thread.
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 07:30:33 PM »

Part of the reason why we can't attract new people or why new people don't choose to post (and some of them are my friends and I've talked to them about it) is that there are so many in-side jokes, so much "banter" that goes on, that it completely dilutes whatever cricketing debates that might be going on. Of course, it's fun, for a close-knit group of people, but to expect "outsiders" to enjoy that kind of thing, when they're here looking for a cricket forum, is a tough ask.
Dex, my thoughts exactly. I may not be a heavy poster, but I do visit regularly. A lot of times, I too feel left out from all the insider jokes. first few threads like "chicken crossing" etc. were really fun, but later I got tuned out. I don't know the remedy, because seems like the regulars are really enjoying it.

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 07:31:58 PM »

Agree with most of the points laid out by Dex.

I think the "close-knit" group is a positive and a negative.

I think we can mitigate the negatives..  inside jokes, banter...etc. For that I think some of the frequent posters (including myself) should take some responsibility...and perhaps adapt their posting behavior to be a more "open and welcoming" one (ex. cutting down on direct posts like "TL" on newbies).

IMO, the other biggest issue that holds back people from posting is this whole SG(Pro-GC) vs GC (anti-SG) group-baji. I think given the passion, the length and somewhat tired nature of this debate..the irritability factor of the "heavy posters" associated with these "groups" is very  high. So whenever a topic even remotely touches that aspect, the debate quickly degenerates into "name calling", "personal attacks", "mutual baiting", "repeated mutual applaud/smite" behavior.

I think (again only my opinion) in this aspect .. some of the "frequent posters" should exercise restraint..and perhaps take a break or even pro-actively self-moderate each other. We all know where we "frequent posters" stand on this issue. Frankly, now this debate is all about "one-upmanship" rather than a "healthy cricketing debate". That cannot be healthy for the long-term health of this DG!!

Also, here is a rule that I saw on another DG..and they actively enforce this (specially, NO "non-value add" one liners).. maybe this can be used as a guideline for posting on this DG..BTW, I am not suggesting pro-active moderation.

--
If you've ever been a member of another forum, you'll know that oftentimes, board discussions degenerate into random one-liners. For instance, a conversation on xxx's potential appeal will be undermined by a member who posts (and I quote), "xxx sux cuz she stole my MaN i hate her!" Or: "XXX IZ DA BESTT!!!!!!!!!!!!" And the conversation deteriorates from there.

There are dozens of other forums on the web in which this kind of conversation -- which, granted, can be a lot of fun -- is welcomed. This forum just isn't one of them. This forum is designed for "beginning" as well as "advanced" fans seeking thoughtful discussion of all the many aspects of AAA. If you're looking for a place to RitE likE thiZ, you'll want to find another forum. (Because this forum attracts visitors from countries where English is learned in classrooms rather than on the street, personal variations on spelling impede communication more often than you'd imagine.) Folks looking for a place where they can reply to every mention of BBB with "He's my man, I'm gonna marry him, just wait and SEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!" should consider other forums with more fan-clubbish atmospheres.
--

Cover Point

• Team of the Century
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 08:18:29 PM »

I like the idea of attaracting more members but dont like this restriction on "banter" or other kind of posts.

I think you will find a lot of people enjoy that ...u cant talk cricket ALL the time.. the jokes, the humor, the food discussion is all that makes us successful as a DG.

The reason we have gotten to be so close knit is because we talk about all kinds of things. We get a chance to "know" people and appreciate their skills a bit more than just their views on Ganguly.

Like Mockani, no matter how unsound her views on Chappel, is incredibly talented in writing and arguing a point. Kban, has a very balanced view of most things (as long as they dont relate to Ganguly) and is a great writer analyst. SGUSA is unparalled in food and drink (and plugging Gates). Suraj, Ruchir, DD very funny people etc etc . Finey is finey

If we try to cater mostly to newbies and modify too much our behaviour this place will be a lot less attractive. I can go to Rec.Sport.cricket and talk a lot more cricket with a lot more diversified group.

I choose to spend the time here because of the people and all their skills that they bring.

sgusa

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 09:40:04 PM »

And really, since all we need to do is to keep the DG running and cover expenses (which I am, and quite sure few others too) are more than happy to share ), i dont see why we need to appeal to new people to post. I mean, let people join and/or post as they please. Sure it would be awesome to have all 200+ people posting regularly, but i dont see why we need to appeal to them to do so. Maybe many just dont have the time and/or interest to actually post. I have been reading slashdot for the last 10+ years, but have posted maybe 10 times in total.

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 10:54:39 PM »

And really, since all we need to do is to keep the DG running and cover expenses (which I am, and quite sure few others too) are more than happy to share ), i dont see why we need to appeal to new people to post. I mean, let people join and/or post as they please. Sure it would be awesome to have all 200+ people posting regularly, but i dont see why we need to appeal to them to do so. Maybe many just dont have the time and/or interest to actually post. I have been reading slashdot for the last 10+ years, but have posted maybe 10 times in total.

I disagree very strongly with the idea that all we should be concerned about is covering costs. The base will go down, people will leave/lose interest in cricket. We need to have at least some influx of new posters coming in often. Like LN and Flute, I think there are very fundamental problems with an ever decreasing number of posters. As flute said, there are days even he's lost in the banter. And I have to admit, I am very lost. Every thread has the same five-six people posting about the same non-cricketing issues. Or potshots about Ganguly/Chappell/patriotism.

Here's an idea to consider: to agree by mutual consent not to post "banter" or "baits" in just regular cricket threads (these include, when someone picks on someone else, one person jumps in to applaude and let everyone know on the thread) and have at least some "cricket only" threads. Perhaps, official threads can be started like "Tendulkar's Injury: Discuss here".

I've also notice Sahir do something excellent -- instead of responding to the banter, he simply picks a cricketing post and comments on that. it keeps us on track.

MockTurtle

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 11:44:29 PM »

I like the idea of attaracting more members but dont like this restriction on "banter" or other kind of posts.

I think you will find a lot of people enjoy that ...u cant talk cricket ALL the time.. the jokes, the humor, the food discussion is all that makes us successful as a DG.

The reason we have gotten to be so close knit is because we talk about all kinds of things. We get a chance to "know" people and appreciate their skills a bit more than just their views on Ganguly.

Like Mockani, no matter how unsound her views on Chappel, is incredibly talented in writing and arguing a point. Kban, has a very balanced view of most things (as long as they dont relate to Ganguly) and is a great writer analyst. SGUSA is unparalled in food and drink (and plugging Gates). Suraj, Ruchir, DD very funny people etc etc . Finey is finey

If we try to cater mostly to newbies and modify too much our behaviour this place will be a lot less attractive. I can go to Rec.Sport.cricket and talk a lot more cricket with a lot more diversified group.

I choose to spend the time here because of the people and all their skills that they bring.

Grrr....dang, can't post a 1 liner, i gotta expand this to go to the next line so that it does not remain a one-liner post and is allowed...*phew* did it!  ;D

sgusa

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 11:48:32 PM »

I disagree very strongly with the idea that all we should be concerned about is covering costs. The base will go down, people will leave/lose interest in cricket. We need to have at least some influx of new posters coming in often. Like LN and Flute, I think there are very fundamental problems with an ever decreasing number of posters. As flute said, there are days even he's lost in the banter. And I have to admit, I am very lost. Every thread has the same five-six people posting about the same non-cricketing issues. Or potshots about Ganguly/Chappell/patriotism.

Here's an idea to consider: to agree by mutual consent not to post "banter" or "baits" in just regular cricket threads (these include, when someone picks on someone else, one person jumps in to applaude and let everyone know on the thread) and have at least some "cricket only" threads. Perhaps, official threads can be started like "Tendulkar's Injury: Discuss here".

I've also notice Sahir do something excellent -- instead of responding to the banter, he simply picks a cricketing post and comments on that. it keeps us on track.

Not a bad idea. I promise not to mess up cricket threads (but then, some off my ( and mock's ;D ) best tangents come off of cricket threads :D without that there would have been not very many kitchen kahanis :D )

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 12:02:13 AM »

I think the first issue is to get EXISTING members to post.. then worry about attracting new members. I never said "we should restrict banter"..but I also believe that too much of non-serious stuff can be off-putting. There is always a time & place for banter (noise should never overtake the signal) and I think as "frequent posters" we could use better judgement and I agree with the Sahir tactic (which Dex alluded to)...specially in cricket threads.

Never asked you to cater to newbies.

As I said close-knit is a positive and a negative. All I am suggesting is exploring if this close-knit group can expand (speaking of which, there is not a single post in the non-poster thread from a non-regular poster!! Go figure). I would think there are more Mocks, SGUSAs, Surajs with their own characteristics sitting in that 80%+ non-participant group.

Or maybe, I am deluded and all DGs end-up into a group of 40 odd regular posters.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 12:05:50 AM by losingnow »

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 12:04:00 AM »

Grrr....dang, can't post a 1 liner, i gotta expand this to go to the next line so that it does not remain a one-liner post and is allowed...*phew* did it!  ;D
Not on my laptop screen..

MockTurtle

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 12:08:44 AM »

Not a bad idea. I promise not to mess up cricket threads (but then, some off my ( and mock's ;D ) best tangents come off of cricket threads :D without that there would have been not very many kitchen kahanis :D )

talk for yourself! i have not been posting ANY food/non-cricket topics anywhere in the last so many weeks! did i ever brag about Giancarlo, the Head Chef talking to me personally after I listed my requirements to the waiter? No, I did not.  ;D

ok - this one MUST be over one line, in every which way/laptop!

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006, 12:11:13 AM »

And really, since all we need to do is to keep the DG running and cover expenses (which I am, and quite sure few others too) are more than happy to share ), i dont see why we need to appeal to new people to post. I mean, let people join and/or post as they please. Sure it would be awesome to have all 200+ people posting regularly, but i dont see why we need to appeal to them to do so.
I have to disagree with you on this one. Also, I dont think we are appealing to them.. just trying to encourage and if possible, understand.

sgusa

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006, 12:11:25 AM »

talk for yourself! i have not been posting ANY food/non-cricket topics anywhere in the last so many weeks! did i ever brag about Giancarlo, the Head Chef talking to me personally after I listed my requirements to the waiter? No, I did not.  ;D

Wonder how many chefs secretly ( and not so secretly) long to poison your specifically requested dinner one of these days :D

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2006, 12:13:08 AM »

yep.. now you have your benchmark for minimum post length.

MockTurtle

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2006, 12:16:54 AM »

Wonder how many chefs secretly ( and not so secretly) long to poison your specifically requested dinner one of these days :D

Chefs lub me. Every one likes attention and made to feel special. I make them feel that way - ask them a lot of  questions, comment on the food and so on. As much as YOU like to see me DEAD, ain't happening!  :P i will live till i am 150, so there!

sgusa

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2006, 12:23:00 AM »

Chefs lub me. Every one likes attention and made to feel special. I make them feel that way - ask them a lot of  questions, comment on the food and so on. As much as YOU like to see me DEAD, ain't happening!  :P i will live till i am 150, so there!

No doubt about that. Esp if you keep feeding on the life force of people like you are now ;D ;D  :P

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2006, 12:24:11 AM »

Another thread, down the..... >:(

MockTurtle

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2006, 12:27:46 AM »

...sgusa hijack drain! shame on you, sgusa!

sgusa

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2006, 12:29:10 AM »

like you didnt reply to every one of my posts :D

Sorry LN, you guys continue with the serious discussions! I am off to do some swing dancing :D

MockTurtle

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2006, 12:33:36 AM »

like you didnt reply to every one of my posts :D

Sorry LN, you guys continue with the serious discussions! I am off to do some swing dancing :D

i am sorry too and i will compensate by engaging every new person who comes along in a meaningful discussion and make them feel welcome here, etc.  :(

VMenon

• One Day Star
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2006, 05:40:23 AM »

Latest Member: mark_cricketinc.com !!!!!

8)

sgusa

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2006, 05:43:21 AM »

8)

sweet nic

MockTurtle

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2006, 05:45:44 AM »

8)

hello VMenon, how are you today? any interesting jokes to share with us?  ;D (see, i am friendly to the infrequent posters too).

sgusa

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2006, 06:01:08 AM »

8)

hello VMenon, how are you today? any interesting jokes to share with us?  ;D (see, i am friendly to the infrequent posters too).

Sounds about as genuine as Bush being concerned about Katrina victims

MockTurtle

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2006, 06:12:19 AM »

8)

..and how abut you, sgusa? are you doing well? did you have a good dinner? hope all the RL issues are under control. i really enjoy your posts here and hope you continue posting.

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2006, 06:15:35 AM »

8)

..and how abut you, sgusa? are you doing well? did you have a good dinner? hope all the RL issues are under control. i really enjoy your posts here and hope you continue posting.
;D ;D ;D

sgusa

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2006, 06:16:50 AM »

8)

Enna ackarai en meedu :D mei silurthu vitathu

suraj

• Team of the Century
  • How about a tattoo with my name??
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2006, 06:18:41 AM »

I think we can mitigate the negatives..  inside jokes, banter...etc. For that I think some of the frequent posters (including myself) should take some responsibility...and perhaps adapt their posting behavior to be a more "open and welcoming" one (ex. cutting down on direct posts like "TL" on newbies).

IMO, the other biggest issue that holds back people from posting is this whole SG(Pro-GC) vs GC (anti-SG) group-baji. I think given the passion, the length and somewhat tired nature of this debate..the irritability factor of the "heavy posters" associated with these "groups" is very  high. So whenever a topic even remotely touches that aspect, the debate quickly degenerates into "name calling", "personal attacks", "mutual baiting", "repeated mutual applaud/smite" behavior.

I think (again only my opinion) in this aspect .. some of the "frequent posters" should exercise restraint..and perhaps take a break or even pro-actively self-moderate each other. We all know where we "frequent posters" stand on this issue. Frankly, now this debate is all about "one-upmanship" rather than a "healthy cricketing debate". That cannot be healthy for the long-term health of this DG!!

Also, here is a rule that I saw on another DG..and they actively enforce this (specially, NO "non-value add" one liners).. maybe this can be used as a guideline for posting on this DG..BTW, I am not suggesting pro-active moderation.

--

This is an excellent excellent initiative and post by LN- mega-applause !!!!!!!!!!!!! Here are some of my inputs-

1. Activity

All said and done , this DG is much more active than lot of other forums in the non-peak cricket times and really a lot more active during Indian cricket matches so the issue is not activity but rather encouraging more diverse point of views by more members.

The "fun", "close knit members", "multitude of  discussion topics including other sports and politics" and "hands off" policy by Gestapo has helped mantain the activity compared to other forums which is a good thing. I believe taking these out might give a more "formal and polished" look to the DG but also a deadbeat level of activity. Do we really want that?? The owner can decide that but IMO its not what was intended. For this you have blogs like "Corridoor" where you certainly will see 90% less level of activity even if a match is going on.

2. Quality of cricket and other discussions

Having said the above, I still feel it has to be the combo of the two- activity and quality that will enhance the DG for old and new members. I think there are some ideas that will help this:

a) Dex's idea

Here's an idea to consider: to agree by mutual consent not to post "banter" or "baits" in just regular cricket threads (these include, when someone picks on someone else, one person jumps in to applaude and let everyone know on the thread) and have at least some "cricket only" threads. Perhaps, official threads can be started like "Tendulkar's Injury: Discuss here

I think this is not only a great idea but also a must ( and not cricket only but also tennis only, soccer only etc); I myself post a lot and enjoy a lot of the humor and banter but also some of the most intersting views/times on the DG have been the pure topic oriented discussions- great batsmen, cricket quizzes, greatest tennis player etc.

I really feel that the same 4-5 ppl who engage in banter/humor/picking also have had and enjoy some very serious discussions.
-Mock's sighs, ughs and shaking heads are also accompanied by great cricket knowledge in quizzes
- Sahir, LN, toney, rams, myself have had great chats during US open
-CP, SG, achu and the list goes on have provided deeper insights into diverse topics

The trick is to combine the fun with the discussions and this is where Dex's idea can work wonders. The hard part is how to achieve this- IMO honor system is the only way because no amount of mods' intervention, posting strict forum instructions (sorry LN- non-value is very subjective) etc will work to achieve the balance.

Fun should not be stopped just to attract new members but some damarcation is neccessary

b) Live match threads and discussions:

I think this is very important. The meat of the ongoing discussions will be live action. Fans have already formed opinions abt the past and have biases abt the future. The most active part for old members and someone looking to join is going to be live action. of course Indian action is the peak time but I feel any live match can ateast have a thread started and some discussion.

- During my hiatus, the only times I wanted to visit and post on the DG was during a live match; I was really surprised to see not even a single post on the 20-20, ODIs etc for Eng-Pak. Again all said and done, folks who do not understand inside jokes will look for these things to join in. And even for someone like me who posts etc kind of stuff all the time- this is where the action lies.

- My suggestion is that maybe it is time to name and extend some regular helpers to the mods; then mods and helpers will atleast start threads and let others post if they want to. sgusa and mock kind of folks who are here often can help with that; Ruchir is also really good at handling responsibility as was evident in regular updates at PP's site

3. Higher ground

I don't want to dwell on this too much to start a controversy but banter etc should be fun- not an attempt of humiliating, one-manship or one paranoid accusation after another. Not preaching because I like to get into sarcasm, humor, smart-ass replies etc and I don't think that should be stopped. But just coming on the DG to do that can be resolved by taking a higher ground and it applies to all of us; cliques, gangstas, mods and the sundry ( Let me be very clear this is not a peace negotiation ;D); exaggeration, insult and accusations despite the other one telling you to stop can become a put-off after a while

I don't think any amount of defending each other, mods using their power or judgement etc will help this- the real heroes will be 1) the ones who end up taking a higher ground and stop at the right time 2) the ones who let themselves a little loose and not get oversensitive/arrogant abt every little poke

This is something we don't need to do but if someone is looking in- this is definitely not enticing even though the funny stuff is.

Anyway, the ghost of Pitamah is leaving my body now but Ido feel having more ppl post with diversity of opinions will be more fun!!!

VMenon

• One Day Star
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2006, 06:19:15 AM »

8)

I can see you are ...

VMenon

• One Day Star
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2006, 06:26:23 AM »

8)

hello VMenon, how are you today? any interesting jokes to share with us? 

Since you asked for one ... here goes !
Roles in Heaven :

*Brahma *
 Systems Installation

*Vishnu
 * Systems Administration & Support

*Lakshmi *
 Finance and Accounts consultant

*Saraswati*
 &NB sp; Training and Knowledge Management

*Shiva*
 DBA (Crash Specialist)

*Ganesh *
 Quality Assuarance & Documentation

*Narada*
 Data transfer

*Yama*
 Reorganization & Downsizing Consultant

*Chitragupta*
 IDP & Personal Records

*Apsaras*
 Downloadable Viruses

*Devas*
 Mainframe Programmers

*Surya*
 Solaris Administrator

*Rakshasas *
 In house Hackers

*Ravan *
 Internet Explorer WWWF

*Kumbhakarnan *
 Zombie Process

* Lakshman*
 Support Software and Backup

*Hanuman *
 Linux/s390

* Vaali*
 MS Windows

*Sugreeva*
 DOS

*Jatayu*
 Firewall

*Dronacharya*
 System Programmer

*Vishwamitra *
 Sr. Manager Projects

*Shakuni*
 Annual appraisal & Promotion

*Valmiki *
 Technical Writer (Ramayana Sign off document)

*Dharmaraj Yudhishthira*
 ISO Consultant (CMM level 5)

*Arjun
 * Lead Programmer (all companies are vying for him)

*Abhimanyu*
 Trainee Programmer

*Draupadi *
 Motivation & Team building

* Bhima*
 MAINFRAME LEGACY SYSTEM

*Duryodhana *
 Microsoft product Written in VB

*Karna*
 Contract programmer

*Dhrutarashtra*
 Visual C++

**hari*
 Dreamweaver

*100 Kauravas
 * Microsoft Service Packs and patches

suraj

• Team of the Century
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2006, 06:28:03 AM »

*100 Kauravas
 * Microsoft Service Packs and patches

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

more likely 100 kauravs, their wives and children

MockTurtle

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2006, 06:33:14 AM »

--

This is an excellent excellent initiative and post by LN- mega-applause !!!!!!!!!!!!! Here are some of my inputs-

1. Activity

All said and done , this DG is much more active than lot of other forums in the non-peak cricket times and really a lot more active during Indian cricket matches so the issue is not activity but rather encouraging more diverse point of views by more members.

The "fun", "close knit members", "multitude of  discussion topics including other sports and politics" and "hands off" policy by Gestapo has helped mantain the activity compared to other forums which is a good thing. I believe taking these out might give a more "formal and polished" look to the DG but also a deadbeat level of activity. Do we really want that?? The owner can decide that but IMO its not what was intended. For this you have blogs like "Corridoor" where you certainly will see 90% less level of activity even if a match is going on.

Having said the above, I still feel it has to be the combo of the two- activity and quality that will enhance the DG for old and new members. I think there are some ideas that will help this:

a) Dex's idea

Here's an idea to consider: to agree by mutual consent not to post "banter" or "baits" in just regular cricket threads (these include, when someone picks on someone else, one person jumps in to applaude and let everyone know on the thread) and have at least some "cricket only" threads. Perhaps, official threads can be started like "Tendulkar's Injury: Discuss here

I think this is not only a great idea but also a must ( and not cricket only but also tennis only, soccer only etc); I myself post a lot and enjoy a lot of the humor and banter but also some of the most intersting views/times on the DG have been the pure topic oriented discussions- great batsmen, cricket quizzes, greatest tennis player etc.

I really feel that the same 4-5 ppl who engage in banter/humor/picking also have had and enjoy some very serious discussions.
-Mock's sighs, ughs and shaking heads are also accompanied by great cricket knowledge in quizzes
-CP, SG, achu and the list goes on have provided deeper insights into diverse topics

The trick is to combine the fun with the discussions and this is where Dex's idea can work wonders. The hard part is how to achieve this- IMO honor system is the only way because no amount of mods' intervention, posting strict forum instructions (sorry LN- non-value is very subjective) etc will work to achieve the balance.

Fun should not be stopped just to attract new members but some damarcation is neccessary

I think this is very important. The meat of the ongoing discussions will be live action. Fans have already formed opinions abt the past and have biases abt the future. The most active part for old members and someone looking to join is going to be live action. of course Indian action is the peak time but I feel any live match can ateast have a thread started and some discussion.

- During my hiatus, the only times I wanted to visit and post on the DG was during a live match; I was really surprised to see not even a single post on the 20-20, ODIs etc for Eng-Pak. Again all said and done, folks who do not understand inside jokes will look for these things to join in. And even for someone like me who posts etc kind of stuff all the time- this is where the action lies.

- My suggestion is that maybe it is time to name and extend some regular helpers to the mods; then mods and helpers will atleast start threads and let others post if they want to. sgusa and mock kind of folks who are here often can help with that; Ruchir is also really good at handling responsibility as was evident in regular updates at PP's site

3. Higher ground

I don't want to dwell on this too much to start a controversy but banter etc should be fun- not an attempt of humiliating, one-manship or one paranoid accusation after another. Not preaching because I like to get into sarcasm, humor, smart-ass replies etc and I don't think that should be stopped. But just coming on the DG to do that can be resolved by taking a higher ground and it applies to all of us; cliques, gangstas, mods and the sundry ( Let me be very clear this is not a peace negotiation ;D); exaggeration, insult and accusations despite the other one telling you to stop can become a put-off after a while

I don't think any amount of defending each other, mods using their power or judgement etc will help this- the real heroes will be 1) the ones who end up taking a higher ground and stop at the right time 2) the ones who let themselves a little loose and not get oversensitive/arrogant abt every little poke

This is something we don't need to do but if someone is looking in- this is definitely not enticing even though the funny stuff is.

Anyway, the ghost of Pitamah is leaving my body now but Ido feel having more ppl post with diversity of opinions will be more fun!!!

applause to you for the ideas. and, really, if my ughs and sighs are annoying, i will stop. i don't want you or anyone else to leave the forum coz of that. after-all, you and the others make the DG what it is and it is my duty to not drive people away. btw, i enjoy your posts, even those jokes made at my expense.

for every ugh that i have posted, i will post a cricket-related post. would that suffice?

and LN, applause to you too. and heck, VMenon, applause to you too and please post more often.

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2006, 06:37:27 AM »

--

1. Activity

The "fun", "close knit members", "multitude of  discussion topics including other sports and politics" and "hands off" policy by Gestapo has helped mantain the activity compared to other forums which is a good thing. I believe taking these out might give a more "formal and polished" look to the DG but also a deadbeat level of activity. Do we really want that?? The owner can decide that but IMO its not what was intended. For this you have blogs like "Corridoor" where you certainly will see 90% less level of activity even if a match is going on.

a) Dex's idea

3. Higher ground

Thanks for enhancing the discussion..

I hope other "frequent posters" weigh-in on this too...only 7/8 of the 40 odd have posted here so far.

suraj

• Team of the Century
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2006, 06:39:49 AM »

--

1. Activity

a) Dex's idea

3. Higher ground

applause to you for the ideas. and, really, if my ughs and sighs are annoying, i will stop. i don't want you or anyone else to leave the forum coz of that. after-all, you and the others make the DG what it is and it is my duty to not drive people away. btw, i enjoy your posts, even those jokes made at my expense.

for every ugh that i have posted, i will post a cricket-related post. would that suffice?

and LN, applause to you too. and heck, VMenon, applause to you too and please post more often.

You got me wrong Mock, I didn't mean annoying - I was pointing out the mix of  your humor posts (with the ughs and sighs etc) with the serious ones. My point was that the few ppl who regularly indulge in fun and banter also switch gears and have many intersting discussions/quizzes etc.  

ok now the two of us are gettin too soft on each other- this excess of sweetness is going to make us sick. Lets get back to our sarcastic self ;D

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2006, 06:58:29 AM »

Its been a loooooooong time since any significant India cricket match. If that starts many (if not most) topics will swerve towards cricket and Indian cricket specifically. So, these swings between cricket and non-cricket topics will happen once in a while due to 'environmental conditions' ;D

MockTurtle

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2006, 07:06:20 AM »

You got me wrong Mock, I didn't mean annoying - I was pointing out the mix of  your humor posts (with the ughs and sighs etc) with the serious ones. My point was that the few ppl who regularly indulge in fun and banter also switch gears and have many intersting discussions/quizzes etc. 

ok now the two of us are gettin too soft on each other- this excess of sweetness is going to make us sick. Lets get back to our sarcastic self ;D

merely practising my new "equally nice to new,old and infrequent posters" mode and you missed my exaggerated attempt at that  ;D

on a serious note, i don't think one should stop the banter/digressions etc. as i come here to talk to fellow people - if i were just interested in match reports, analyses and statistics, there are a plethora of options out there, much better maintained. the whole idea of this group is have a layman's/fan's perspective of things, filled with personal prejudices, biases and so on. of coure, there are some good insights and observations amidst all this and some extremely knowledgeable people!

it may be a good idea to channelize some of the discussions and as someone suggested, have a match thread.  live chat is fun but having a thread gives it more visibility and better reach.

as for the cliques, gangstahs etc., i can only speak for myself. i treat it all as a joke and have a good time bantering. without humour, sarcasm, banter, i cease to exist. and yes, i have to ugh and sigh and shake head too.  ;D

MockTurtle

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2006, 07:07:23 AM »

8)

Enna ackarai en meedu :D mei silurthu vitathu

enakku eppovum ellaar meLayum akkarai than - rommmmba elagina manasu.

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2006, 07:12:12 AM »

without humour, sarcasm, banter, i cease to exist. and yes, i have to ugh and sigh and shake head too.  ;D

True that! We need the banter and the cricket, both.

arjun

• World XI Star
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2006, 07:25:27 AM »

*Dhrutarashtra*
 Visual C++

Should that be : visual see - -!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up