Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 41   Go Down

Author Topic: The Rolling Quiz  (Read 138679 times)

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
The Rolling Quiz
« on: September 02, 2006, 04:13:36 AM »

Based on recent discussions, I am starting a "rolling" quiz.

Basic Idea: The person responsible for asking the question will verify the correct answer, and is expected to check regularly for answers. Anyone can answer. The person who answered correctly first asks the next question, but only when explicitly identified by the person who asked the question.

Aim: The idea is for all of us to have fun and learn. The fun is in getting great questions and seeing the guesses and the answers. Discussions on the question/answer and reasonable cricket related diversions are highly encouraged.

If there is enough interest and response, this thread will remain alive and towards the top of the topic list. If not it will die a natural death. The mods can consider whether to make it a sticky topic.

Simple rules:

1. If the question is not answered within 24 hours, it is suggested that a good hint be provided.

2. If the question is not answered within 48 hours, the next person to post a question becomes open to anyone in the forum.

3. The person who correctly answers is given upto 24 hours to post the next question.

4. Web searches can be done, but it is suggested that the person answering mentions whether a search was done to retrieve the answer and provide the source. This allows interested people to read the complete article or see a larger section of statistics. Often, it will help towards setting future questions.

An invitation for Mock Turtle to ask the first question when she is ready ....
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 04:15:36 AM by kingofprussia »
I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. - (thanks, Hugh Gallagher)

Sahir

• Team of the Century
  • Vintage fruit can never rot!
Re: The Rolling Quiz
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 05:08:54 AM »

Thanks for taking the initiative...I'll make this thread sticky

MockTurtle

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 12:58:12 PM »

K-of-P, thanks for starting the thread.

Here's a question from me

Link the following players (there are a couple of more players who also make the list but i have left them out deliberately for now)

Kapil Dev, Sourav Ganguly, Saeed Anwar, Jonty Rhodes, Mark Waugh

ps: is making this thread a "sticky" making it less obvious? coz it is sitting there on top with a bunch of other threads that i rarely open!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 01:59:39 PM by MockTurtle »

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 04:49:42 PM »

Link the following players (there are a couple of more players who also make the list but i have left them out deliberately for now)

I pulled up Kapil Dev's record and thought about it. And seeing Saeed Anwar's name on the list too suspected that what links them is that their highest ODI score is greater than their highest test score.
If this is correct, good one - I wonder who the others are. Perhaps someone still actively playing with a low number of matches, e.g. Andrew Symonds and Dhoni.
I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. - (thanks, Hugh Gallagher)

kingcool1432

• Hakuna Matata
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 04:56:09 PM »

I pulled up Kapil Dev's record and thought about it. And seeing Saeed Anwar's name on the list too suspected that what links them is that their highest ODI score is greater than their highest test score.
If this is correct, good one - I wonder who the others are. Perhaps someone still actively playing with a low number of matches, e.g. Andrew Symonds and Dhoni.

I would think that would make for a much bigger list, no ?
Reality continues to ruin my life.  Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat, p67-1

Sahir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 04:57:36 PM »

ps: is making this thread a "sticky" making it less obvious? coz it is sitting there on top with a bunch of other threads that i rarely open!

Maybe only initially, but once people are aware of it, then it will always be easily accessible.  However, if kop and you think it would be better as a non-sticky thread, let me know, and I will oblige.

MockTurtle

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 06:37:52 PM »

You are right. That was what i had in mind and these are players(batsmen) who have played 50+ tests and have a higher ODI score than their best test score. The two others are Alistair Campbell and Ken Rutherford. I read this piece of tidbit in Cricinfo a while ago.(wonder if there are more now?)

hope it wasn't too vague!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 06:49:48 PM by MockTurtle »

suraj

• Team of the Century
  • How about a tattoo with my name??
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 06:40:50 PM »

So KOP has to ask the next question, right??

Sahir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 07:05:16 PM »

So KOP has to ask the next question, right??

Correct

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 10:54:09 PM »

I hope this is not too vague. I came across this information recently.

David Gower, (England and overall record) 5046 runs
Richardson (WI record) 4153 runs
Alan Border (Aus record) 4435 runs
Aravinda De Silva (SL record) 2779 runs
Glenn Turner (NZ record) 2991 runs
Herbert Taylor (SA record) 2925 runs
Majid Khan (Pakistan record) 2522 runs
WhoAmI (Indian record) 3858 runs

Who am I and what record is this?

(and there is something unique about Glenn Turner in this list).

Sahir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 11:42:58 PM »

Rahul Dravid-- most Test runs between two ducks

Sahir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 11:44:39 PM »

The unique thing about Turner was that the streak was still active when he left international cricket

Sahir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2006, 11:49:28 PM »

Not asked but another unique aspect about one of the named mentioned:
Aravinda de Silva's streak was at the very start of his career.  He did not get his first duck until his 75th innings-- that is a record.  Interestingly, Geraint Jones has played 47 innings in his career without recording a duck.  Let's see if he gets the opportunity to go for Aravinda's record.

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2006, 04:08:59 AM »

Sahir - right on both counts. Glenn Turner interestingly scored a duck in the very first innings he played, and never scored a duck ever since. So his streak represents the total number of runs he made. Did not know about Geraint Jones. Over to you for the next question.

Sahir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2006, 06:31:10 AM »

Here's the challenge:

King pairs are rare in cricket, but one player in the history of Test cricket has the dubious honor of not only bagging a king pair, but also being the victim of a hat-trick ball in both innings of a Test match.  Name that player.

inoc

• Team of the Century
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2006, 02:24:36 PM »

TA Ward

Sahir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2006, 07:42:06 PM »

TA Ward

Correct-- even more incredibly, he was victim to a hat-trick ball in both innings to the same bowler!  TJ Matthews remains the only bowler to take 2 hat-tricks in a single Test.  Funnily enough, despite 2 hat-tricks in one match (the only wickets he took in that match), Matthews never took a five-wicket haul in the 8 Tests he played, nor did he ever take more than 6 wickets in a match.  The scorecard of the match:
http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1910S/1912/TRI-TEST/AUS_RSA_T1_27-28MAY1912.html
Over to you inoc.
Oh yeah, applause for the right answer.

inoc

• Team of the Century
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2006, 09:22:05 PM »

thanks sahir with a little help from cricinfo

so here goes

India and Pakistan shared a batting world record in the recently concluded series, 2005/6 in Pakistan, which equalled one set by India and another team earlier.

What was the record, who else does India share it with and when was that record?

suraj

• Team of the Century
  • How about a tattoo with my name??
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2006, 09:31:05 PM »

TA Ward

Correct-- even more incredibly, he was victim to a hat-trick ball in both innings to the same bowler!  TJ Matthews remains the only bowler to take 2 hat-tricks in a single Test.  Funnily enough, despite 2 hat-tricks in one match (the only wickets he took in that match), Matthews never took a five-wicket haul in the 8 Tests he played, nor did he ever take more than 6 wickets in a match.  The scorecard of the match:
http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1910S/1912/TRI-TEST/AUS_RSA_T1_27-28MAY1912.html
Over to you inoc.
Oh yeah, applause for the right answer.

I don't understand the captaincy here- so you have the same bowler in the 2nd innings on a hat trick and the batsman who gave it to him in the 1st innings is sent in to face him ??? ???

inoc

• Team of the Century
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2006, 09:47:25 PM »

incredibly all three batsmen who could have come in at that point were part of the hatrick the first time around. also if you notice ward was promoted - so he may have wanted to go in at that point.

kingcool1432

• Hakuna Matata
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2006, 09:55:06 PM »

so here goes

India and Pakistan shared a batting world record in the recently concluded series, 2005/6 in Pakistan, which equalled one set by India and another team earlier.

What was the record, who else does India share it with and when was that record?

Most runs scored per series ?

inoc

• Team of the Century
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2006, 10:10:25 PM »

so here goes

no not the one i had in mind
Most runs scored per series ?

Sahir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2006, 11:35:30 PM »

so here goes

Off the top of my head, I think it was the most sixes.  The record that it tied, I'll have to check.  Am I right, though?

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2006, 11:39:17 PM »

so here goes

Off the top of my head, I think it was the most sixes.  The record that it tied, I'll have to check.  Am I right, though?

You are talking about the ODIs right?
"...that is me offering you an olive basket... ...and that is you spitting in my face."

Scott Caan as Turk Malloy

Sahir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2006, 11:42:31 PM »

Oh-- I was thinking Tests-- isn't that the default when you only mention the term series?

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2006, 11:46:53 PM »

Oh-- I was thinking Tests-- isn't that the default when you only mention the term series?

Did not think of it that way.
"...that is me offering you an olive basket... ...and that is you spitting in my face."

Scott Caan as Turk Malloy

inoc

• Team of the Century
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2006, 11:48:09 PM »

its the test series and not sixes

MockTurtle

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2006, 11:50:09 PM »

so here goes

most number of centuries in a 3 test series?

Sahir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2006, 11:51:30 PM »

There were plenty of records as far as sixes are concerned in the Test series:

Shahid Afridi tied most sixes by an individual in a series, 14, tying Wasim Raja, Flintoff, Pieterson, and Hayden
Both teams combined for 49 6s, smashing the record for most 6s in a 2-Test series, previously 40 held by NZ and England in 2001-2002 (Incidentally, the most 6s in a 5-Test series is only 2 higher at 51 in the 2005 Ashes)
Most sixes by a side in a Test: Pak tied the record of 18 at Faisalabad, equalling WI against England in 1985-86
Most combined 6s in a Test was set:  a total of 27 at Faisalabad, smashing 23 of NZ v Eng at Christchurch (this was the extremely famous innings by Astle where he was going beserk at the end, chasing a huge target with just one wicket in hand, and set the record for the fastest Test double century)

http://in.rediff.com/cricket/2006/feb/02sixes.htm

kingcool1432

• Hakuna Matata
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2006, 11:55:58 PM »

so here goes

most number of centuries in a 3 test series?

Least number of wickets to fall ?

Sahir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2006, 11:58:37 PM »

Least number of wickets to fall ?

Well, can't be that considering some Test series may have had very little play possible due to weather conditions.

inoc

• Team of the Century
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2006, 11:59:12 PM »

correct mock

the highest number of centuries in a three match series - 15. also by india and england in 1990

inoc

• Team of the Century
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2006, 12:00:22 AM »

applause

and its you turn now mock.

MockTurtle

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2006, 12:01:32 AM »

applause

and its you turn now mock.

thanks  ;D

shall post one soon.

MockTurtle

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2006, 01:43:08 AM »

Nayan Mongia is the holder of a not-so-flattering record when it comes to ODIs. What is that?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 01:51:57 AM by MockTurtle »

Sahir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2006, 02:29:00 AM »

Nayan Mongia played the most number of ODIs without ever getting the Man of the Match award-- 140 ODIs.

MockTurtle

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2006, 02:35:33 AM »

Nayan Mongia played the most number of ODIs without ever getting the Man of the Match award-- 140 ODIs.

right - the top 4 of this dubious record are all wicket-keepers!

your turn!

Sahir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2006, 02:40:38 AM »

right - the top 4 of this dubious record are all wicket-keepers!

your turn!

Which goes to show what the most underappreciated position in cricket is...
When they are doing well, you hardly notice them.

Sahir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2006, 02:46:44 AM »

Back in the good old days, teams would sometimes play timeless Tests.  In other words, they would play till all innings came to a close, seemingly guaranteeing a result, regardless of how long it took.  One such instance when England played South in a timeless Test, yet the match ended in a draw (not tied).  How come?

MockTurtle

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2006, 02:50:52 AM »

Back in the good old days, teams would sometimes play timeless Tests.  In other words, they would play till all innings came to a close, seemingly guaranteeing a result, regardless of how long it took.  One such instance when England played South in a timeless Test, yet the match ended in a draw (not tied).  How come?

heh, England had to catch the boat home!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 41   Go Up