Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 41   Go Down

Author Topic: The Rolling Quiz  (Read 136894 times)

achutank

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
Re: The Rolling Quiz
« Reply #200 on: September 13, 2006, 05:39:32 AM »

It was Rameez Raja-- I know this one; Amarnath and Inzi are the only others

Amarnath was out for "Handling the ball" and not the same as "obstructing the field"...

oh yes mock.

thats my answer. so my question was wrong.

there you go my memory is not so good.

so my question actually is who got out handling the ball. yes.

sorry for this.

oh my god am i embarrassed!

:P :P :P :P ::) ::) :P :P
there is more than meets the i

Sahir

• Team of the Century
  • Vintage fruit can never rot!
« Reply #201 on: September 13, 2006, 05:41:01 AM »

Sahir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #202 on: September 13, 2006, 05:42:45 AM »

first out in ODIs handled the ball is Mohinder Amarnath against Australia

Sahir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #203 on: September 13, 2006, 05:43:55 AM »

Therefore, Mohinder Amarnath will probably forever have the distinction of being the only batsman ever to be given out both obstructing the field and handled the ball in ODI cricket!

Sahir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #204 on: September 13, 2006, 05:46:56 AM »

Amarnath was out for "Handling the ball" and not the same as "obstructing the field"...

No-- Amarnath was out obstructing the field for kicking the ball away back in 1989 against SL

True but but he was THE first to be out "HANDLED THE BALL even earlier in 85-86 series against the Aussies. Here's the scorecard

http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/1980S/1985-86/OD_TOURNEYS/WSC/IND_AUS_WSC_ODI-FINAL2_09FEB1986.html

But the original question was about obstructing the field, not handled the ball...

VMenon

• One Day Star
« Reply #205 on: September 13, 2006, 05:47:55 AM »

OK since the Challenger Trophy is round the corner ...

What were the first two editions of the CT called!

Sahir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #206 on: September 13, 2006, 05:49:38 AM »

NKP Salve Challenger Trophy

MockTurtle

« Reply #207 on: September 13, 2006, 05:50:03 AM »

No-- Amarnath was out obstructing the field for kicking the ball away back in 1989 against SL

True but but he was THE first to be out "HANDLED THE BALL even earlier in 85-86 series against the Aussies. Here's the scorecard

http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/1980S/1985-86/OD_TOURNEYS/WSC/IND_AUS_WSC_ODI-FINAL2_09FEB1986.html

But the original question was about obstructing the field, not handled the ball...

got it..my mistake in misinterpreting your post...

VMenon

• One Day Star
« Reply #208 on: September 13, 2006, 05:55:55 AM »

NO

MockTurtle

« Reply #209 on: September 13, 2006, 06:01:05 AM »

NO

it was some CUP.....

VMenon

• One Day Star
« Reply #210 on: September 13, 2006, 06:02:14 AM »

The first edition of the tournament in 1994-95 was held in Calcutta and was called the Kedia Cup
The second edition of the tournament in 1995-96 was held in Hyderabad and called the Liberty Cup
The 1996-97 and 1997-98 tournaments had no sponsor and hence no name !!!!

Sahir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #211 on: September 13, 2006, 06:04:38 AM »

The first edition of the tournament in 1994-95 was held in Calcutta and was called the Kedia Cup
The second edition of the tournament in 1995-96 was held in Hyderabad and called the Liberty Cup
The 1996-97 and 1997-98 tournaments had no sponsor and hence no name !!!!

Oh-- I was not even aware of it being that old a tournament; learn something new everyday, or every hour on this DG!

achutank

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #212 on: September 13, 2006, 06:07:26 AM »

no mock

seriously

i meant to ask handling the ball because jimmy is the only guy to be out that way. and i can never remember that sheepish grin he had as he walked off the field with his bat behind his back. the game was the second final agains the aussies in the tr-nation b&h cup in 1985. we lost after having the advantage in the first game. we got those guys out for 171 and the aussies amnaged to score only one four. then we got into  the act and promptly made a career for some nondescript aussie bowlers.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 06:10:57 AM by achutank »

MockTurtle

« Reply #213 on: September 13, 2006, 06:21:29 AM »

no mock

seriously

i meant to ask handling the ball because jimmy is the only guy to be out that way. and i can never remember that sheepish grin he had as he walked off the field with his bat behind his back. the game was the second final agains the aussies in the tr-nation b&h cup in 1985. we lost after having the advantage in the first game. we got those guys out for 171 and the aussies amnaged to score only one four. then we got into  the act and promptly made a career for some nondescript aussie bowlers.

i was responding to Sahir about misinterpreting his post. but hey, as you said, you are asking from memory and so are allowed to make mistakes! what exactly did he do to be given out so?

Sahir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #214 on: September 13, 2006, 06:29:53 AM »

i meant to ask handling the ball because jimmy is the only guy to be out that way.

Actually, there has been one other player to get out in this fashion in ODIs-- Darryl Cullinan, against the West Indies in 1999.
http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1998-99/WI_IN_RSA/SCORECARDS/WI_RSA_ODI3_27JAN1999.html

MockTurtle

« Reply #215 on: September 13, 2006, 09:37:03 AM »

Who is the bowler who has got the maximum number of hit-wicket dismissals? And who is the batsman who has been dismissed in this fashion the maximum number of times?

achutank

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #216 on: September 13, 2006, 09:37:23 AM »

no mock

seriously

i was responding to Sahir about misinterpreting his post. but hey, as you said, you are asking from memory and so are allowed to make mistakes! what exactly did he do to be given out so?

ithink he was facing greg mathews and he went forward. ball spun hit his pads and was rolling to the stumps. he turned back and fliked the ball away and then immediately started to grin. he was on his way. again thats what i remember. i also remember that in my younger days i had many girlfriends which again i can't completely be sure of. :-)

kingcool1432

• Hakuna Matata
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #217 on: September 13, 2006, 01:23:27 PM »

Bowler - Graeme McKensy (Or something of that sort)
Reality continues to ruin my life.  Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat, p67-1

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #218 on: September 13, 2006, 07:34:13 PM »

Who is the bowler who has got the maximum number of hit-wicket dismissals? And who is the batsman who has been dismissed in this fashion the maximum number of times?

Batsman - Dennis Compton?

Compton's absent-mindedness was legendary. Colin Cowdrey writes that Compton turned up for the Old Trafford Test of 1955 against South Africa without his kitbag. Undaunted, he sauntered into the museum and borrowing an antique bat off the display, went on to score 155 and 79 not out. This absent-mindedness was particularly obvious in his tendency to run out his partners at the crease; Trevor Bailey declared that 'a call for a run from Compton should be treated as no more than a basis for negotiation.' Typically, at his brother Leslie's benefit match in 1955, he managed to run him out before he had faced a single ball.
I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. - (thanks, Hugh Gallagher)

MockTurtle

« Reply #219 on: September 13, 2006, 11:37:15 PM »

yes - "Garth" McKenzie(4 hit-wickets) and Dennis Compton it is(dismissed 5 times this way).

kingcool and KoP, applause and your turns now!

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #220 on: September 14, 2006, 01:23:44 AM »

yes - "Garth" McKenzie(4 hit-wickets) and Dennis Compton it is(dismissed 5 times this way).

MT,
Are u confined to the shell? (quiz shell that is) ;D
Hope u atleast join Match chat - we don't banter there ;D Really ;D

MockTurtle

« Reply #221 on: September 14, 2006, 03:57:05 AM »

MT,
Are u confined to the shell? (quiz shell that is) ;D
Hope u atleast join Match chat - we don't banter there ;D Really ;D

not at all :) just off the banter-zone! shall try to join but i am always 3-4 minutes ahead and will ruin the suspense for everyone....

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #222 on: September 14, 2006, 03:58:16 AM »

What (positive) record does Geoff 'my Mum' Boycott hold in ODIs?
I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. - (thanks, Hugh Gallagher)

MockTurtle

« Reply #223 on: September 14, 2006, 04:03:12 AM »

What (positive) record does Geoff 'my Mum' Boycott hold in ODIs?

doesn't he hold two? oldest player to play an ODI as well as the oldest century maker? Jayasuriya recently became the second or third? have to check.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 04:06:29 AM by MockTurtle »

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #224 on: September 14, 2006, 04:11:43 AM »

Oldest to score a century is correct.

There have been players older than Geoff Boycott - Clarke and Aponso from the Netherlands who played ODIs well into their 40s. The ex WI cricketer Chris Lambert played for the US team when he was 43. Among regular teams, Brian Close and Clive Lloyd played ODIs in their early 40s.

Over to you Mock, with applause.

MockTurtle

« Reply #225 on: September 14, 2006, 04:15:29 AM »

Oldest to score a century is correct.

There have been players older than Geoff Boycott - Clarke and Aponso from the Netherlands who played ODIs well into their 40s. The ex WI cricketer Chris Lambert played for the US team when he was 43. Among regular teams, Brian Close and Clive Lloyd played ODIs in their early 40s.

Over to you Mock, with applause.

ah, okay. somehow i thought Boycott played until he was over 45...

Here's my related Q :

Name the players who have scored 5+ centuries in ODI's after turning 35...

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #226 on: September 14, 2006, 04:36:17 AM »

Viv Richards, Desmond Haynes, Gooch, Mark Waugh, Jayasuriya, Lara, Saeed Anwar, Gilchrist, Tendulkar and Ponting. I have a feeling I missed one.

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #227 on: September 14, 2006, 04:37:15 AM »

Oops, strike that -- that was after reaching 30 and there are probably a whole bunch more!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 04:42:03 AM by kingofprussia »

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #228 on: September 14, 2006, 04:42:54 AM »

Here's my related Q :

Jayasuriya and Zaheer Abbas. Any more?

MockTurtle

« Reply #229 on: September 14, 2006, 04:43:35 AM »

Here's my related Q :

Jayasuriya and Zaheer Abbas. Any more?

there's one more :)

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #230 on: September 14, 2006, 04:48:28 AM »

Gordon Greenidge?

MockTurtle

« Reply #231 on: September 14, 2006, 04:50:58 AM »

Gordon Greenidge?

Yup - all three have 5 centuries after 35!

baton returns to you but gotta wait 12 hours for the applause....

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #232 on: September 14, 2006, 05:03:47 AM »

(1) This should be easy.

I was born in country A, made by debut for country B, retired when playing for country C, and became a citizen of country D. Who am I?

(2) And this is more interesting

The only wicket I ever took in test cricket is that of Sachin Tendulkar. Who am I?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 05:08:17 AM by kingofprussia »

MockTurtle

« Reply #233 on: September 14, 2006, 05:41:34 AM »

(1) This should be easy.

I was born in country A, made by debut for country B, retired when playing for country C, and became a citizen of country D. Who am I?

is this John Traicos? born in Egypt, played for South Africa and then Zimbabwe and is an Australian citizen now. incidentally, he holds the record for most years between two test appearances - 22+ years!

The only wicket I ever took in test cricket is that of Sachin Tendulkar. Who am I?

dang, i think this is some non-regular batsman bowler but can't recall.

suraj

• Team of the Century
  • How about a tattoo with my name??
« Reply #234 on: September 14, 2006, 02:21:06 PM »

(1) This should be easy.

This one was asked before, right. Isn't it Robin something???

MockTurtle

« Reply #235 on: September 14, 2006, 02:34:47 PM »

(1) This should be easy.

robin jackman was one born in country A, played for country B, was banned in country C for playing in country D :-)

suraj

• Team of the Century
« Reply #236 on: September 14, 2006, 03:44:27 PM »

(1) This should be easy.

robin jackman was one born in country A, played for country B, was banned in country C for playing in country D :-)

oh ok sorry I just read country A>B>C>D and jumped the gun

suraj

• Team of the Century
« Reply #237 on: September 14, 2006, 03:53:41 PM »

(1) This should be easy.

Didn't Vaughn dismiss him once- not sure if that was his only wkt though

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #238 on: September 14, 2006, 05:27:29 PM »

Didn't Vaughn dismiss him once- not sure if that was his only wkt though

Don't recollect. But he has 6 wickets in tests, not just 1.

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #239 on: September 14, 2006, 05:29:05 PM »

Big hint - there was good reason that the two questions were paired with each other.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 41   Go Up