Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 41   Go Down

Author Topic: The Rolling Quiz  (Read 137390 times)

Sahir

• Team of the Century
  • Vintage fruit can never rot!
Re: The Rolling Quiz
« Reply #120 on: September 09, 2006, 01:08:04 AM »

India- Pakistan; 407

Name the record

The Kolkata Test in 2005 when India scored exactly 407 in both innings?

suraj

• Team of the Century
  • How about a tattoo with my name??
« Reply #121 on: September 09, 2006, 01:11:21 AM »

India- Pakistan; 407

Name the record

What was the record though??

inoc

• Team of the Century
« Reply #122 on: September 09, 2006, 01:11:35 AM »

Sahir
you got there before me :D

Sahir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #123 on: September 09, 2006, 01:36:39 AM »

India- Pakistan; 407

Name the record

First time India had scored 400+ in both innings?

suraj

• Team of the Century
« Reply #124 on: September 09, 2006, 12:01:35 PM »

India- Pakistan; 407

Name the record

Nope

achutank

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #125 on: September 09, 2006, 04:02:06 PM »

nope
you dope
don't mope
so's the pope

there is more than meets the i

suraj

• Team of the Century
« Reply #126 on: September 09, 2006, 04:02:48 PM »

nope
you dope
don't mope
so's the pope

??? ???

suraj

• Team of the Century
« Reply #127 on: September 09, 2006, 05:25:06 PM »

India- Pakistan; 407

Name the record

Nope

Sahir,

I qualify this by saying this is not the record I was looking for. I think they had two 400+ innings before this but not totally sure

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #128 on: September 09, 2006, 06:53:12 PM »

The highest opposition score against India where India was able to enforce a follow-on?

(Sehwag's Multan test, Pak 1st innings: all out 407)
I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. - (thanks, Hugh Gallagher)

suraj

• Team of the Century
« Reply #129 on: September 09, 2006, 07:54:55 PM »

The highest opposition score against India where India was able to enforce a follow-on?

(Sehwag's Multan test, Pak 1st innings: all out 407)

KOP,

Sahir and inoc already got the match right- I was just looking for the record that was created at that match. maybe it is too vague so here is a link

India- Duleep Mendis 105

The 2 records are linked

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #130 on: September 09, 2006, 10:48:36 PM »

Mendis scored a century in each innings against India (both 105) in Madras. In the '407' game, Dravid scored a century in each innings also. Were these somehow connected with a record?  ???
I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. - (thanks, Hugh Gallagher)

suraj

• Team of the Century
« Reply #131 on: September 09, 2006, 11:38:22 PM »

Mendis scored a century in each innings against India (both 105) in Madras. In the '407' game, Dravid scored a century in each innings also. Were these somehow connected with a record?  ???

Sorry for picking such a vague one. Well the answer I was looking for was that the 407 in the Kolkata test was the highest duplicate score by a team in a test.

Mendis' duplicate was the highest individual duplicate in a test match.

Again, sorry if it was too vague

inoc

• Team of the Century
« Reply #132 on: September 10, 2006, 02:48:31 AM »

i apologise for being a spoilsport at the very beginning

i had commented in an earlier thread that questions that cannot be answered without carrying on a web wild search may be interesting for some but not me. i am ofcourse interested in the answers and will thank the provider inconspicuously every time. i personally am more interested in quizzes which involve personal knowledge rather than a quick web search. occassionally you will get ppl who will answer your questions looking in the web but let them cheat - the purpose of the question is to test knowledge not searching ability. there are sites which do that go there if you want to test your sherlock holmes genes.
personal opinion and lack of interest in trying to find answers in this kind of quiz. i would very much prefer the quiz 1 and 2 which kop and mock prepared on the main board.
please carry on nevertheless and i will keep visiting to further my knowledge anyway.

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #133 on: September 10, 2006, 04:45:07 AM »

Point taken, inoc. I sure hope it doesn't degenerate into something too weird and difficult. For better and worse, I think that web search has forever altered the style of quizzing (at least on the web!)

Anyways, since this was an unanswered question, the forum is open and so here is my question.

Which cricketer's popular name was essentially derived from the style of underwear he wore  :D

suraj

• Team of the Century
« Reply #134 on: September 10, 2006, 05:39:35 AM »

i apologise for being a spoilsport at the very beginning

i had commented in an earlier thread that questions that cannot be answered without carrying on a web wild search may be interesting for some but not me. i am ofcourse interested in the answers and will thank the provider inconspicuously every time. i personally am more interested in quizzes which involve personal knowledge rather than a quick web search. occassionally you will get ppl who will answer your questions looking in the web but let them cheat - the purpose of the question is to test knowledge not searching ability. there are sites which do that go there if you want to test your sherlock holmes genes.
personal opinion and lack of interest in trying to find answers in this kind of quiz. i would very much prefer the quiz 1 and 2 which kop and mock prepared on the main board.
please carry on nevertheless and i will keep visiting to further my knowledge anyway.

Well I apologize again that my question didn't meet the standards inoc. I think I'll refrain from now on and leave it to KOP and mock to continue.

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #135 on: September 10, 2006, 05:44:33 AM »

suraj, tough question for sure, It is difficult to post interesting non trivial questions every day. Some will be vague, some will be good, some will be dead easy. Don't worry, just post.

MockTurtle

« Reply #136 on: September 11, 2006, 01:32:23 AM »

Point taken, inoc. I sure hope it doesn't degenerate into something too weird and difficult. For better and worse, I think that web search has forever altered the style of quizzing (at least on the web!)

Anyways, since this was an unanswered question, the forum is open and so here is my question.

Which cricketer's popular name was essentially derived from the style of underwear he wore  :D

'Bapu' Nadkarni

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #137 on: September 11, 2006, 03:22:58 AM »

Bapu is a style of underwear!??

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #138 on: September 11, 2006, 04:00:20 AM »

Bapu is a style of underwear!??

Mock is right, it was Bapu Nadkarni. Applause to you.

He wore a loin cloth (instead of normal underwear) and earned the nick name 'Bapu' as *hi too famously donned a loin cloth. That is a pretty affectionate and clean nick name, even though it was based on something quite personal. I found this out from his Wikipedia profile - apparently mentioned in a book by Mihir Bose.

Take it over, Mock.

MockTurtle

« Reply #139 on: September 11, 2006, 04:27:19 AM »

Here's one :

Name the player who won the man of the match award in an ODI without scoring a single run, taking any wicket or a catch. (hint: it was in a tri-series involving india)

Sahir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #140 on: September 11, 2006, 04:34:51 AM »

Cameron Cuffy

Sahir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #141 on: September 11, 2006, 04:36:54 AM »

Cuffy was extremely economical in a spell of 10 overs 0-20 against Zimbabwe in a 27 run victory.  His economy was crucial to victory in the round robin stage of the Coca Cola Cup in 2001.

MockTurtle

« Reply #142 on: September 11, 2006, 04:43:07 AM »

Cuffy was extremely economical in a spell of 10 overs 0-20 against Zimbabwe in a 27 run victory.  His economy was crucial to victory in the round robin stage of the Coca Cola Cup in 2001.

right. applause. over to you, sahir...

Sahir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #143 on: September 11, 2006, 05:07:59 AM »

Name the only player to play in the Boxing Day Ashes Test in 2002 that was a home grown Melbourne talent.

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #144 on: September 11, 2006, 04:40:05 PM »

Since this is a quiz question, it is more likely an Englishman than an Australian  :) I think it is Craig White - only guy in the English team who played in Australia?

Sahir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #145 on: September 11, 2006, 07:42:56 PM »

Since this is a quiz question, it is more likely an Englishman than an Australian  :) I think it is Craig White - only guy in the English team who played in Australia?

Yes-- maybe you only deserve partial credit considering the reasoning ;D ;D  Interestingly, the only home-grown player in Melbourne was playing for the enemy in that Ashes Test.  Well done, applause and over to you...

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #146 on: September 12, 2006, 03:45:51 AM »

I hope this is not too vague. I also hope it is not easily cracked with a search engine.

In 1921, similar freak dismissals in two different tests occurred. Eventually, this led to changing the existing cricket laws to disallow for such a dismissal. Consequently, I don't believe any batsman has had to benefit from the relaxed law.

What dismissal was it, and what was the cricket law amended to?

Sahir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #147 on: September 12, 2006, 05:18:47 AM »

I think you are referring to hit wicket dismissals.  There was one such dismissal in a Test in Johannesburg, South Africa where Australia's fast bowler Ted McDonald had Billy Zulch hit wicket when his bat broke and a piwce of it flew back and dislodged a bail.  The other dismissal I think you are referring to is once again a McDonald delivery, this time to Andy Ducat at Headingley when a piece of the bat once again dislodged a bail.  However, on this occasion, the ball was also caught and the batsman was given out caught, not hit wicket.  Here is the scorecard from that match:
http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1920S/1921/AUS_IN_ENG/AUS_ENG_T3_02-05JUL1921.html

Here is the scorecard from the other match referred to:
http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1920S/1921-22/AUS_IN_RSA/AUS_RSA_T2_12-16NOV1921.html

Interestingly, in this match, South Africa had two top order batsmen dismissed hit wicket in the same innings.  I am not aware of any other time that two batsmen have been dismissed in this manner in the same innings, or even the same match.

Finally, as you mentioned, the law has now been amended and a batsman would no longer be out if a piece of his bat broke off and dislodged a bail.

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #148 on: September 12, 2006, 05:58:51 AM »

Over to you Sahir, with due applause for getting it all right. It is indeed strange that both involved the same bowler. I wonder if the bat making company was also the same! Yeah, the multiple hit wickets is also very rare.

When reading up on this a few days back, I came across some other spooky detail. Len Hutton was the first batsman to be given out obstructing the field, when he prevented the wicket keeper Russell Endean from catching the ball. Russell Endean was himself the first batsman to be given out handled the ball. One weird act deserved another?

Sahir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #149 on: September 12, 2006, 06:06:29 AM »

When reading up on this a few days back, I came across some other spooky detail. Len Hutton was the first batsman to be given out obstructing the field, when he prevented the wicket keeper Russell Endean from catching the ball. Russell Endean was himself the first batsman to be given out handled the ball. One weird act deserved another?

Ah, as they say, poetic justice.

Sahir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #150 on: September 12, 2006, 06:11:10 AM »

Recently, there was an England Test player who represented England in this version of the game after a more than 10-year gap.  I'm sure this large a gap between Tests must be a record, or at least close, I would think.  Name that player.

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #151 on: September 12, 2006, 06:52:37 AM »

Recently, there was an England Test player who represented England in this version of the game after a more than 10-year gap.  I'm sure this large a gap between Tests must be a record, or at least close, I would think.  Name that player.

FINALLY!!!! I think I know this answer: Shaun Udal. Hope thats right!?

However, I am not a trivia guy...over to one of u for the next question.

Sahir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #152 on: September 12, 2006, 08:30:46 AM »

FINALLY!!!! I think I know this answer: Shaun Udal. Hope thats right!?

However, I am not a trivia guy...over to one of u for the next question.

Sorry-- nice try, but that is not right.  Udal did recently play at quite an old age, but he did not make his Test debut until November 2005 against Pakistan.

kingcool1432

• Hakuna Matata
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #153 on: September 12, 2006, 12:42:29 PM »

Martin Bicknell  ?
Reality continues to ruin my life.  Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat, p67-1

Sahir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #154 on: September 12, 2006, 02:27:49 PM »

Martin Bicknell  ?

Well done.  Martin Bicknell debuted back in 1993 and then was duly dropped, only to be recalled over 10 years later.  Applause and over to you for next question.

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #155 on: September 12, 2006, 03:11:28 PM »

Congrats Kingcool [corrected]. Well, atleast I got to try for one answer ;D
Carry on folks. I do get to learn from this thread on some trivia stuff.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 03:25:07 PM by fineleg »

Sahir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #156 on: September 12, 2006, 03:15:22 PM »

It was actually kingcool, not kop, that got this one, fineleg.

kingcool1432

• Hakuna Matata
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #157 on: September 12, 2006, 03:32:40 PM »

This may be too easy but anyway :

Bedi, Prassanna, Venkataraghavan & Chandrashekhar formed perhaps one of the most lethal bowling quartrets of all time. How many test matches did they play together ?

Sahir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #158 on: September 12, 2006, 03:48:35 PM »

Bedi, Prassanna, Venkataraghavan & Chandrashekhar formed perhaps one of the most lethal bowling quartrets of all time. How many test matches did they play together ?

All four of them never played together?

kingcool1432

• Hakuna Matata
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #159 on: September 12, 2006, 04:18:34 PM »

All four of them never played together?

Stop using kop's reasoning and thinking of this as a quiz question ;)

And no :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 41   Go Up