Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Greg Chappell's list of Great Batsman -- Interesting List  (Read 13639 times)

ramshorns

• Team of the Century
Greg Chappell's list of Great Batsman -- Interesting List
« on: August 21, 2006, 09:19:22 PM »

Bowlers List tomorrow--

‘Not even Bradman bore a burden like Sachin’s’

Colombo, Aug. 21: “Give me some time mate for my assessment,” said Team India coach Greg Chappell when this correspondent asked him for his choice of five all time great batsmen and bowlers. On Monday morning at the team hotel here in Colombo, he had his answer sheet ready. “I couldn’t restrict it to five, chose eight batsmen and seven bowlers instead,” said the former Australia captain who has had 7110 runs in 87 Tests which include 24 centuries. The list, along with Chappell’s assessment on his favourite players is as follows….

Batsmen

Sir Garfield Sobers
Sir Garfield is not only the best batsman that I have seen but he is the best all round cricketer that I have seen. He is the best multi-faceted cricketer in my time with four genuine strings to his bow, batting, pace bowling, finger spin and fielding. His record speaks for itself.

Sir Vivian Richards
Sir Vivian was the most damaging batsman of his era. Whether against spin or genuine pace he had the ability to turn a match in a session with his explosive power. I rate him as the best all round fielder that I have witnessed.

Graeme Pollock
It is interesting that three of the top-five are left-hand batsmen. At a time when most of the top batsmen were of modest stature, Graeme was one of the first quality batsmen who stood over six feet tall. Graeme was a brutal player who had a wide stance and got by with minimal footwork, but he was always well balanced and his weight was always ideally positioned for each shot. Like Vivian Richards, Graeme could turn a game in a trice with his brute force against pace or spin.

Sachin Tendulkar
Sachin has an amazing record for one who started so young and has played for such a long time in the most demanding market that cricket has to offer. No one, not even Bradman, has had the weight of so much expectation resting on his shoulders each time he bats. His range of stroke-play has been the most outstanding feature of his exquisite silky-smooth skills.

Brian Lara
Brian is another in the long line of West Indian greats and another left-hander with a brilliant and destructive range of shots against all types of bowling. Brian gets into my list for his ability to make big scores as much as for his brilliance. Few players in the history of cricket have made as many multiple centuries as Brian and this is because he paces himself differently from most players that I have watched. He has an uncanny ability to play in destructive bursts at stages in his innings that sets him apart from all except Sobers and Bradman of the elite of the elite that game has produced.

Barry Richards
I give a special mention to Barry Richards whom I rate as the most aesthetically pleasing and damaging batsman that I have seen. Barry looked like the coaching manual had come to life from his upright stance to his precision drives, cuts and pulls. The only reason he has not got into the top five is that history was cruel to him and prevented him from playing enough Test cricket to give a fair assessment of his ability against the very best bowlers over the long run at the highest level.

Ricky Ponting
Ricky Ponting is another whom I rate a special mention for his ability to turn a game with his dynamic power. By the end of his career he may well have pushed himself into the top five if he continues at the phenomenal success rate of the past few years.

Rahul Dravid
Rahul is another who will most likely push himself into the top bracket by the time his career has finished. His powers of concentration and his consistency rather than his range of stroke-play is his hallmark, but his ability to make runs in all conditions puts him into the elite class.

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
Re: Greg Chappell's list of Great Batsman -- Interesting List
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 09:25:52 PM »

I'm a bit surprised at not seeing Saurav in the list.  [god]

Maybe he will make the all-rounder list?

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 09:43:16 PM »

I am postive that it was a close call  between the likes of Barry Richards, Ricky Ponting and Sourav Ganguly.

Another thing is he extended the list from 5 to 8 so that he could include Dravid. Clearly this middle finger Chappal is a har*mi from Australia like Mel Gibson et al and also sticks his middle finger out at people.
"...that is me offering you an olive basket... ...and that is you spitting in my face."

Scott Caan as Turk Malloy

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 09:44:55 PM »

I am postive that it was a close call  between the likes of Barry Richards, Ricky Ponting and Sourav Ganguly.

Another thing is he extended the list from 5 to 8 so that he could include Dravid. Clearly this middle finger Chappal is a har*mi from Australia like Mel Gibson et al and also sticks his middle finger out at people.

Since he's working with 2 of the greatest batsmen in the world, one would expect results very soon, no?  :P

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 09:51:54 PM »

Since he's working with 2 of the greatest batsmen in the world, one would expect results very soon, no?  :P

The har*mi convict injured one of them and so now he has someone who would "push himself into the top bracket by the time he is finished". But we know the racist p*g from down under is will just sabotage Dravid and Sachin will be injured by his middle finger and that's it.

Results? You expect results from this ghatiya insaan (who is from Australia)
"...that is me offering you an olive basket... ...and that is you spitting in my face."

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 09:53:25 PM »

The har*mi convict injured one of them and so now he has someone who would "push himself into the top bracket by the time he is finished". But we know the racist p*g from down under is will just sabotage Dravid and Sachin will be injured by his middle finger and that's it.

Results? You expect results from this ghatiya insaan (who is from Australia)

Chaal, agreed. That would explain it all.

Cernunnos

• Team of the Century
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 10:01:45 PM »

Bowlers List tomorrow--

Colombo, Aug. 21: “Give me some time mate for my assessment,” said Team India coach Greg Chappell when this correspondent asked him for his choice of five all time great batsmen and bowlers. On Monday morning at the team hotel here in Colombo, he had his answer sheet ready. “I couldn’t restrict it to five, chose eight batsmen and seven bowlers instead,” said the former Australia captain who has had 7110 runs in 87 Tests which include 24 centuries. The list, along with Chappell’s assessment on his favourite players is as follows….

Batsmen

Sir Garfield Sobers
Sir Garfield is not only the best batsman that I have seen but he is the best all round cricketer that I have seen. He is the best multi-faceted cricketer in my time with four genuine strings to his bow, batting, pace bowling, finger spin and fielding. His record speaks for itself.

Sir Vivian Richards
Sir Vivian was the most damaging batsman of his era. Whether against spin or genuine pace he had the ability to turn a match in a session with his explosive power. I rate him as the best all round fielder that I have witnessed.

Graeme Pollock
It is interesting that three of the top-five are left-hand batsmen. At a time when most of the top batsmen were of modest stature, Graeme was one of the first quality batsmen who stood over six feet tall. Graeme was a brutal player who had a wide stance and got by with minimal footwork, but he was always well balanced and his weight was always ideally positioned for each shot. Like Vivian Richards, Graeme could turn a game in a trice with his brute force against pace or spin.

Sachin Tendulkar
Sachin has an amazing record for one who started so young and has played for such a long time in the most demanding market that cricket has to offer. No one, not even Bradman, has had the weight of so much expectation resting on his shoulders each time he bats. His range of stroke-play has been the most outstanding feature of his exquisite silky-smooth skills.

Brian Lara
Brian is another in the long line of West Indian greats and another left-hander with a brilliant and destructive range of shots against all types of bowling. Brian gets into my list for his ability to make big scores as much as for his brilliance. Few players in the history of cricket have made as many multiple centuries as Brian and this is because he paces himself differently from most players that I have watched. He has an uncanny ability to play in destructive bursts at stages in his innings that sets him apart from all except Sobers and Bradman of the elite of the elite that game has produced.

Barry Richards
I give a special mention to Barry Richards whom I rate as the most aesthetically pleasing and damaging batsman that I have seen. Barry looked like the coaching manual had come to life from his upright stance to his precision drives, cuts and pulls. The only reason he has not got into the top five is that history was cruel to him and prevented him from playing enough Test cricket to give a fair assessment of his ability against the very best bowlers over the long run at the highest level.

Ricky Ponting
Ricky Ponting is another whom I rate a special mention for his ability to turn a game with his dynamic power. By the end of his career he may well have pushed himself into the top five if he continues at the phenomenal success rate of the past few years.

Rahul Dravid
Rahul is another who will most likely push himself into the top bracket by the time his career has finished. His powers of concentration and his consistency rather than his range of stroke-play is his hallmark, but his ability to make runs in all conditions puts him into the elite class.

The correspondent asked for an all-time list, and there is no Bradman ??

Only a supreme egotist would let his personal animosity with the Don come in the way of naming him
on an all-time batsman list.

Contrast this with the class of SMG. When he was asked who the best spinner he has seen was,
he promptly said Bedi, someone he was not on talking terms with.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 10:13:18 PM by Cernunnos »

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 10:06:03 PM »

Bowlers List tomorrow--

Batsmen

Sir Garfield Sobers

Sir Vivian Richards

Graeme Pollock

Sachin Tendulkar

Brian Lara

Barry Richards

Ricky Ponting

Rahul Dravid

Only a supreme egotist would let his personal animosity with the Don come in the way of not naming him

Contrast this with the class of SMG. When he was asked who the best spinner he has seen was,

Chappal is an evil kangaroo who can't even acknowledge fellow Aussie devils like Bradman.

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 10:08:17 PM »

Bowlers List tomorrow--

Batsmen

Sir Garfield Sobers

Sir Vivian Richards

Graeme Pollock

Sachin Tendulkar

Brian Lara

Barry Richards

Ricky Ponting

Rahul Dravid

Only a supreme egotist would let his personal animosity with the Don come in the way of not naming him

Chappal is an evil kangaroo who can't even acknowledge fellow Aussie devils like Bradman.

Or you could find out a bit more about the situation between Chappell brothers and Bradman in the 1970s with the Don was an ACB member.

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 10:13:02 PM »

Bowlers List tomorrow--

Batsmen

Sir Garfield Sobers

Sir Vivian Richards

Graeme Pollock

Sachin Tendulkar

Brian Lara

Barry Richards

Ricky Ponting

Rahul Dravid

Or you could find out a bit more about the situation between Chappell brothers and Bradman in the 1970s with the Don was an ACB member.

No need to. Clearly with his abuse of the middle finger and the underarm tactics he is an egotistical, dishonest   character to be vilified.

ramshorns

• Team of the Century
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 10:16:23 PM »

Ok now let us get a little bit more serious here.  Let us give Greg the benefit of the doubt here and say he has excluded Don because he has never seen him.  May be he is like me who always gives the list of the best batsman he watched though he acknowledges other greats whom he has never seen, like say Sir Don or Sir Hutton or Wally Hammond etc.

In that list there is a quiz question for you guys.  Pick the odd man out of the list and why he is probably in that list.  Again it has nothing to do with the list because all of them are great in their own right and who are we to question that?????

I will give you 10 min and then re-post my thoughts.  It is a fun little thing I want to do, rather than being serious all the time and try to just give my opinions on things.

Cernunnos

• Team of the Century
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 10:22:25 PM »

Ok now let us get a little bit more serious here.  Let us give Greg the benefit of the doubt here and say he has excluded Don because he has never seen him.  May be he is like me who always gives the list of the best batsman he watched though he acknowledges other greats whom he has never seen, like say Sir Don or Sir Hutton or Wally Hammond etc.

In that list there is a quiz question for you guys.  Pick the odd man out of the list and why he is probably in that list.  Again it has nothing to do with the list because all of them are great in their own right and who are we to question that?????

I will give you 10 min and then re-post my thoughts.  It is a fun little thing I want to do, rather than being serious all the time and try to just give my opinions on things.

IVA Richards, the only batsman he has played against?

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 10:26:41 PM »

Barry Richards, the only man who has not proved himself in international cricket (only 4 tests)

suraj

• Team of the Century
  • How about a tattoo with my name??
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 10:28:28 PM »

Bowlers List tomorrow--

Batsmen

Sir Garfield Sobers

Sir Vivian Richards

Graeme Pollock

Sachin Tendulkar

Brian Lara

Barry Richards

Ricky Ponting

Rahul Dravid

Only a supreme egotist would let his personal animosity with the Don come in the way of naming him

Hmm I agree- seen him or not Bradman has to make the list, right. Can someone throw more light on the animosity between GC and Bradman (besides the usual anti-grumpy notes here :P)

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2006, 10:29:30 PM »

Ricky Ponting...the only Aussie...and making his bridges?

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2006, 10:38:43 PM »

OH!!  :o Dravid is the only defensive batsman in the list.....WOW.

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 10:49:38 PM »

10 minutes up long time ago!
Play with heart. Win with class. Lose with dignity

ramshorns

• Team of the Century
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006, 10:50:28 PM »

Bingo there you go, you got it on your second try.  If not for my wife asking me to help her with the cooking(cutting spinach, onion, tomato) you would not have got the chance.  So she deserves some credit for your second chance. :D :D :D

You are absolutely right.  RD is the odd man out.  Except for him rest of them will turn the game on its head in the span of a session.  It is not a hear say but each one has done that in their span of their career's multiple times and given bowlers sleepless nights.

Also it is my feeling if GC was not the coach of India he would have not probably named RD ahead of A.Border at this stage.  Because for the same exact reasons given for RD,  Border fits there as well and if anything scored runs against the 80's WI's and good English teams. 

Not to take away any credit from RD whatsoever.  It is Border was that great and effective in tough conditions and against all types of attacks.

So if there is a hidden agenda there it is(Just kidding) :D :D :D :D :D

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 10:54:44 PM »

Bingo there you go, you got it on your second try.  If not for my wife asking me to help her with the cooking(cutting spinach, onion, tomato) you would not have got the chance.  So she deserves some credit for your second chance. :D :D :D

You are absolutely right.  RD is the odd man out.  Except for him rest of them will turn the game on its head in the span of a session.  It is not a hear say but each one has done that in their span of their career's multiple times and given bowlers sleepless nights.

Also it is my feeling if GC was not the coach of India he would have not probably named RD ahead of A.Border at this stage.  Because for the same exact reasons given for RD,  Border fits there as well and if anything scored runs against the 80's WI's and good English teams. 

Not to take away any credit from RD whatsoever.  It is Border was that great and effective in tough conditions and against all types of attacks.

got lucky....actually if I had not seen Dex's post on Ponting I would not have thought of it. I started thinking of Aussie captain and Indian captain, comparing them and there it was.

I think it is significant Rams, that he picked Dravid in that list. Well spotted.

ramshorns

• Team of the Century
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 10:58:04 PM »

got lucky....actually if I had not seen Dex's post on Ponting I would not have thought of it. I started thinking of Aussie captain and Indian captain, comparing them and there it was.

I think it is significant Rams, that he picked Dravid in that list. Well spotted.
OK then you are the lucky winner.  2 applauses for you and one to Dex for his hint to help you get the answer.

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2006, 11:09:11 PM »

thanks rams.

I am curious about what Kban thinks of all this.

CLR James

• Team of the Century
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2006, 12:51:56 AM »

No Gavaskar? I fail to see how he does not make the cut. Oh well personal preferances I guess.

suraj

• Team of the Century
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2006, 12:53:18 AM »

No Gavaskar? I fail to see how he does not make the cut. Oh well personal preferances I guess.

But ramji will be happy with that ;) ;)

Poochandi

• One Day Star
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2006, 12:59:11 AM »

No Bradman, No Sunil Manohar, No Saurav .......

AND
No Venugopalu raw

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2006, 01:29:20 AM »

There is zero doubt that Gavaskar is among the top 3 openers ever in the game. And it becomes awfully hard to start comparing an opener against a middle order batsman for overall greatness. No disrespect to the great Barry, but it does seem a touch harsh to include a relatively untested Barry over a Gavaskar.

And this seems to be a huge huge compliment to both Ponting and Dravid. I wouldn't accuse GC of guile here; rather I'd see it as judging the great stature of these two even before their career is done. I would bet that at least one of the 2 will touch an average of 60 when all is said and done.
I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. - (thanks, Hugh Gallagher)

ramshorns

• Team of the Century
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2006, 02:06:38 AM »

It certainly is a beautiful list.  Full of attacking batsman who will change the game in a session and take the fight to the opponents.  CLR imagine replacing RD the only non-attacking bat in the list with Vishy.  Now you are talking.  They will scare the hell out of bowlers.

suraj

• Team of the Century
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2006, 02:09:28 AM »

It certainly is a beautiful list.  Full of attacking batsman who will change the game in a session and take the fight to the opponents.  CLR imagine replacing RD the only non-attacking bat in the list with Vishy.  Now you are talking.  They will scare the hell out of bowlers.

Now you are talking like KKK

While there is no doubt that the attacking batsmen can instill fear in the opponents, it is also likely that they tumble like nine pins. We have seen that in the past with the mighty WI and the powerful Aussies now

ramshorns

• Team of the Century
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2006, 02:11:45 AM »

While there is no doubt that the attacking batsmen can instill fear in the opponents, it is also likely that they tumble like nine pins. We have seen that in the past with the mighty WI and the powerful Aussies now

It shows your ignorance and how much you know about the game.  I further not comment on it.

suraj

• Team of the Century
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2006, 02:14:32 AM »

Not sure how Pollock and Barry Richards are better choices than Bradman and Gavaskar

BTW, in the following thread, Gavaskar did attack and scored a quick century- something that Abbas was trying to avoid and there were other occasions too when he showed he could rip the bowling apart

http://www.cricketvoice.com/cricketforum2/index.php?topic=4952.msg63536#msg63536

And then you never know where you will end up playing- so if the pitch is like SMG's last test, it needs extraordinary technique and ability to read the ball to stay put

suraj

• Team of the Century
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2006, 02:16:31 AM »

It shows your ignorance and how much you know about the game.  I further not comment on it.

That is a beeped up stupid comment from you- if anyone does not agree with you they are ignorant hun

Hey just because your name is ram doesn't make you god man

Be a little more humble in life

ramshorns

• Team of the Century
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2006, 02:26:22 AM »

That is a beeped up stupid comment from you- if anyone does not agree with you they are ignorant hun

I think you got what you asked for.  Nothing to do with me being humble or not.  . 

I never put too much thought into who agrees with me or not.  But telling someone is sounding like XXX, YYY is going a little too far and insulting that other person plus it is being judemental.

So if you do not see stupidity in your post I cannot help it.

Let me not denegrate this beautiful thread further.

A little heat now and then is good.  Let us move on.....

suraj

• Team of the Century
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2006, 02:33:12 AM »

Ram,

My advice to you based on some previous exchanges is that you should surround yourswlf with your dear ones who prolly worship you and think you are the be all and end all in this world. You have a bad ego problem and need a boost from some yes men who chant

" Vishy is god and SMG/Bradman should bow before him",
"Talking against VVS is treason and demands capital punishment"
" kaif sucks and anyone who doesn't think so is an idiot"

etc etc

Unfortunately you will not find such hero-worshippers for you in every sphere of life and this DG so you will have to often come up with unsavory comments like "It shows your ignorance and how much you know about the game.  I further not comment on it."

well god beeping almighty we are not here to bow to you but rather to say what we really feel so hard luck

I don't want to keep engaing this on a personal level with anyone so lets not respond to each other in the future

suraj

• Team of the Century
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2006, 02:37:35 AM »

I think you got what you asked for.  Nothing to do with me being humble or not.  . 

I never put too much thought into who agrees with me or not.  But telling someone is sounding like XXX, YYY is going a little too far and insulting that other person plus it is being judemental.So if you do not see stupidity in your post I cannot help it.

You could have easily said comparing you to KKK was not right (although I was just comparing the common liking for the attacking approach rather than 2 ppl) but how did that equate to my ignorance of the game; Ram jaane or rather even Ram doesn't know

ramshorns

• Team of the Century
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2006, 02:41:44 AM »

I never put too much thought into who agrees with me or not.  But telling someone is sounding like XXX, YYY is going a little too far and insulting that other person plus it is being judemental.So if you do not see stupidity in your post I cannot help it.

You could have easily said comparing you to KKK was not right (although I was just comparing the common liking for the attacking approach rather than 2 ppl) but how did that equate to my ignorance of the game; Ram jaane or rather even Ram doesn't know
Suraj:It is OK, let us move on to cricket.  I never doubted your knowledge of the game.

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2006, 02:43:55 AM »

Rams, Suraj : Applause guys. Great to see this settled in such an amicable manner!!

Awesome...

suraj

• Team of the Century
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2006, 02:45:46 AM »

Suraj:It is OK, let us move on to cricket.  I never doubted your knowledge of the game.

and I was just venting out (protest) vs any real resentment ( forefeiture)

It is all the umpire and referee's fault ;D ;D

Lets talk cricket

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2006, 02:50:28 AM »

That is a level 2.1 breach of DG code!

Speaking of breach.. watching Spike Lee's documentary on Katrina. I still cant get over the fact that the sh?t he is showing happened in the US of A! What an incompetent SOB Bush is?

Anyway!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 02:53:09 AM by losingnow »

suraj

• Team of the Century
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2006, 02:54:02 AM »

Izz boyz will be cool and calm again!! Didn't know rulezzz

sgusa

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2006, 03:14:02 AM »

Speaking of breach.. watching Spike Lee's documentary on Katrina. I still cant get over the fact that the sh?t he is showing happened in the US of A! What an incompetent SOB Bush is?

Anyway!

Half way into that sentence i was thinking why spike lee would make a docu on Katrina kaif. Sorry for being insensitive but that is the first thought that came to mind :D

suraj

• Team of the Century
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2006, 03:16:00 AM »

Anyway!

Half way into that sentence i was thinking why spike lee would make a docu on Katrina kaif. Sorry for being insensitive but that is the first thought that came to mind :D

u are hilarious
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up