Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good Rental car deals booking in USA  (Read 2435 times)

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
Good Rental car deals booking in USA
« on: July 17, 2006, 08:50:32 PM »

I know the usual air-travel websites:
travelocity, expedia also offer searches for booking rental cars.

But if I am going to book *only* Rental car in a city in US (without booking air-travel arrangement thro Travelocity or expedia), then is it still the best way to look for Rental deals?

Or are there good websites to look for deals in booking Rental cars?

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
Re: Good Rental car deals booking in USA
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 08:57:19 PM »

priceline.com (if you dont have a preference for a specific car rental agency).  Do a search on orbitz, expedia, travelocity..find out the price. Bid for 25-30% lower than that amount (say X) with priceline.com. double check (X) with hotwire.com
Play with heart. Win with class. Lose with dignity

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 08:59:14 PM »

priceline.com (if you dont have a preference for a specific car rental agency).  Do a search on orbitz, expedia, travelocity..find out the price. Bid for 25-30% lower than that amount (say X) with priceline.com. double check (X) with hotwire.com

Thx LN.
I saw a website called:  http://www.rentalcars.com   (is this any good? anyone used this?)

BTW - for folks who travel a lot (like LN) - you will know this: Is it usually more expensive to rent from an "airport-based" location versus a non-airport based rental location?
(I think they add "airport" fees/tax etc...is that right?)

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 09:02:35 PM »

www.rentalcars.com. Never used them. So donno.

Airport vs non-airport.. cannot generalize, which is cheaper. Some airport locations (PHX, PHL, ORD, BWI..) carry additional taxes - because some local infrastructure initiatives (Ex. the new Cardinals stadium in Phoenix) are funded by taxing tourists. 

ramshorns

• Team of the Century
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 09:05:14 PM »

This is exactly what I normally do.  Go to expedia usually get the price and quote 25-30% less on priceline.   Usually will get it.  If not stick to orbitz or expedia.

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 09:14:55 PM »

Thanks Rams and LN.

One other question:
The rental desk usually tries to sell u "Rental car insurance"...i know that most of our personal car policies will cover rental cars when ur travelling...but is it any worth to look at the crap (usually it is) that the rental guys try to sell u...generally i think it is a rip-off...But a few folks i know prefer to usually get it - for a few reasons (perhaps not to involve personal insurance in a rental claim, or perhaps rental ins is a bit more comprehensive in protection) etc.

Usually I think M/Card or VISA provides some coverage as well.

ramshorns

• Team of the Century
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 09:18:06 PM »

Thanks Rams and LN.

One other question:
The rental desk usually tries to sell u "Rental car insurance"...i know that most of our personal car policies will cover rental cars when ur travelling...but is it any worth to look at the crap (usually it is) that the rental guys try to sell u...generally i think it is a rip-off...But a few folks i know prefer to usually get it.
I do not take the insurance sold by the car rental company.  I decline it.  If you have a personal car insurance then you should be good.  Also if you have a gold card(Visa/Master) and charge it for rental then they will cover for it though you will have a minimal deductible to meet.  It is not much though.

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 09:19:03 PM »

Thanks Rams and LN.

One other question:
The rental desk usually tries to sell u "Rental car insurance"...i know that most of our personal car policies will cover rental cars when ur travelling...but is it any worth to look at the crap (usually it is) that the rental guys try to sell u...generally i think it is a rip-off...But a few folks i know prefer to usually get it.
I do not take the insurance sold by the car rental company.  I decline it.  If you have a personal car insurance then you should be good.  Also if you have a gold card(Visa/Master) and charge it for rental then they will cover for it though you will have a minimal deductible to meet.  It is not much though.
Yep..but make sure you read the fineprint on your credit card's coverage

sgusa

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 09:23:47 PM »

CC based insurance is a bit dodgy. Best is if you have personal car insurance. Ofcourse your premium will be affected if you get into an accident, but if it not your fault you are fine, and you dont have to shell out the 20-30$$ extra per day for coverage from the rentals

ramshorns

• Team of the Century
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 09:28:49 PM »

CC based insurance is a bit dodgy. Best is if you have personal car insurance. Ofcourse your premium will be affected if you get into an accident, but if it not your fault you are fine, and you dont have to shell out the 20-30$$ extra per day for coverage from the rentals
Once I and and my friend got into an accident 11 years back.  The car was totally smashed.  We got saved because of the air bags.  All we paid was $200 deductible and the CC covered the rest,  It was a $8000 damage.  Like LN said the best way is to read through the CC agreement and see what they have to offer and go based on that.  Also like you said Personal is not that bad a bet.

sgusa

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 10:17:27 PM »

March last year, i was driving a rental when something caused my front driver side tire to puncture. Because i was driving at around 70, i swerved, ran out of road and hit the ditch next to the road, the car flipped 180 degrees and then flipped  upside down from hitting something before doing another flip to correct itself. I experianced the whole thing is superslow motion for some reason, accutely aware of what was happening.

I didnt have a scratch on me ( and the people who pulled over thought they saw a ghost coming out since the accident was pretty nasty and the car was totally smashed. My personal insurance covered the whole thing (>14000$) and i cooly collected my next car ( the lady at the airport rental agency looked at me with pleading eyes, no doubt wondering if i will wreck this one too - it was a current year model too  ;D).

That was the closest near death experiance i have had if you dont count an Avril lavigne concert i was subjected to once ( although she is super hot these days  ;D)

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 10:21:23 PM »

March last year, i was driving a rental when something caused my front driver side tire to puncture. Because i was driving at around 70, i swerved, ran out of road and hit the ditch next to the road, the car flipped 180 degrees and then flipped  upside down from hitting something before doing another flip to correct itself. I experianced the whole thing is superslow motion for some reason, accutely aware of what was happening.

I didnt have a scratch on me ( and the people who pulled over thought they saw a ghost coming out since the accident was pretty nasty and the car was totally smashed. My personal insurance covered the whole thing (>14000$) and i cooly collected my next car ( the lady at the airport rental agency looked at me with pleading eyes, no doubt wondering if i will wreck this one too - it was a current year model too  ;D).

That was the closest near death experiance i have had if you dont count an Avril lavigne concert i was subjected to once ( although she is super hot these days  ;D)
WOW!!! I know what you mean by super-slow motion? I had a relatively small accident..but I think I know each nanosecond elapsed while things were still in motion.

Aloo Kashmiri Ul Haq

• Bismallah Rahim izzz I izzz score 15017 runs
  • Team of the Century
  • sekho na naino ki bhasha..
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 10:33:12 PM »

ok since we are talking about superman experiences and cars let me add my own. My dad and I were returning from the Indian market. He approached the garage and instead of hitting on the brakes he hit on the gas, the car went right through the door, strangely enough the door curled due to the impact and the car went through. If not for our neighbor's new furniture (he shared our garage) our car would have gone right through the garage probably breaking it in entireity. We paid for;
1. Car repair - the hood was completely destroyed, the lights were smashed to pieces. around 2000 $ we paid for that alone
2. Garage door
3. Furniture

Why did the chicken cross the road?

According to Le Chatelier:

The chicken crossed the road because there were too many moles of chicken
on the reactants side of the road equilibrium.

sgusa

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 10:43:31 PM »

ok since we are talking about superman experiences and cars let me add my own. My dad and I were returning from the Indian market. He approached the garage and instead of hitting on the brakes he hit on the gas, the car went right through the door, strangely enough the door curled due to the impact and the car went through. If not for our neighbor's new furniture (he shared our garage) our car would have gone right through the garage probably breaking it in entireity. We paid for;
1. Car repair - the hood was completely destroyed, the lights were smashed to pieces. around 2000 $ we paid for that alone
2. Garage door
3. Furniture

Somethings in life are priceless. For everything else there is mastercard ??  ;D ;D

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2006, 10:45:15 PM »

2. Garage door
3. Furniture

Somethings in life are priceless. For everything else there is mastercard ??  ;D ;D
LOL!! You should send this post to mastercard..they will make you their spokesperson ;-)

Aloo Kashmiri Ul Haq

• Bismallah Rahim izzz I izzz score 15017 runs
  • Team of the Century
  • sekho na naino ki bhasha..
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2006, 03:55:13 AM »

2. Garage door
3. Furniture

sg you are in the wrong field my friend! wait you are in IT sector aren't you?
Why did the chicken cross the road?

According to Le Chatelier:

The chicken crossed the road because there were too many moles of chicken
on the reactants side of the road equilibrium.

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2006, 04:02:49 AM »

That was the closest near death experiance i have had

Amazing story bro

if you dont count an Avril lavigne concert i was subjected to once ( although she is super hot these days  ;D)

My heart goes out to you...I am glad you survived with minimal brain damage.
"...that is me offering you an olive basket... ...and that is you spitting in my face."

Scott Caan as Turk Malloy

sgusa

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2006, 04:03:17 AM »

Yup. I am a developer in the Evil Empire.

sgusa

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2006, 04:04:35 AM »

That was the closest near death experiance i have had

Amazing story bro

if you dont count an Avril lavigne concert i was subjected to once ( although she is super hot these days  ;D)

My heart goes out to you...I am glad you survived with minimal brain damage.

There are more than quite a few who might disagree with you there  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up