Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Poll

Who will win the WC?

Italy
- 19 (59.4%)
France
- 13 (40.6%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: July 09, 2006, 05:11:41 AM

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Italy or France..make your selection..  (Read 8003 times)

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
  • Thanda Thanda Kool Kool
Re: Italy or France..make your selection..
« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2006, 05:27:05 AM »

I dont think France dominated Italy. That is an impression we leave with coz they dominated in the second half. But in the first half, it was Italy all the way (after the Zidane penalty). And for all the dominance, France still had lesser number of real chances or where they came close. Italy scored off an offside position; one header hit the post too (both where France had no control). France had one header from Zidane that was saved by Buffon ... that was not unlucky .. that was brilliant goal keeping. Cannavarro was a rock. And Zidane just lost his head. That was as DUMB as it gets. No sympathies at all from my side.

ITALY deserved to WIN
Cannavarro should be given player of this worldcup. What a player

Agree. He was one of the frontrunners for the award along with Zidane ... now, guess who gets it!!
Sachin Tendulkar gave the muhurat clap for 'Awwal Number' - that apart, he hasn't done much wrong in the last 20 yrs!

k-slice

« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2006, 05:35:10 AM »

Blwe,
i hope when you type your words you type them to be tasty little morsels. hope you use a fork when you eat them and a bib incase you are clumsy!!!
forzaaaa!!!
ps i still feel bad for zidane. but i know he can head things when necessary! ;D

Aloo Kashmiri Ul Haq

• Bismallah Rahim izzz I izzz score 15017 runs
  • Team of the Century
  • sekho na naino ki bhasha..
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2006, 05:38:34 AM »

I dont think France dominated Italy. That is an impression we leave with coz they dominated in the second half. But in the first half, it was Italy all the way (after the Zidane penalty). And for all the dominance, France still had lesser number of real chances or where they came close. Italy scored off an offside position; one header hit the post too (both where France had no control). France had one header from Zidane that was saved by Buffon ... that was not unlucky .. that was brilliant goal keeping. Cannavarro was a rock. And Zidane just lost his head. That was as DUMB as it gets. No sympathies at all from my side.

ITALY deserved to WIN

perhaps you have forgotten the australian game? and you also have perhaps forgotten that your team played like a bunch of ****ies waiting for the penalty kick, agreed that your defense was strong but dont take anything away from the french midfield. talking about headers hitting the post, perhaps you have also forgotten the decider penalty kicks, the kick that supposedly didn't go in missed by 6 inches. offsiders are a rule? come on live with it! imagine france with its long passes playing with the off side rule taken away

france deserved to win, a bunch of rogues who bribe and fix matches dont deserve to be champs
Why did the chicken cross the road?

According to Le Chatelier:

The chicken crossed the road because there were too many moles of chicken
on the reactants side of the road equilibrium.

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2006, 05:53:46 AM »

ITALY deserved to WIN

perhaps you have forgotten the australian game? and you also have perhaps forgotten that your team played like a bunch of ****ies waiting for the penalty kick, agreed that your defense was strong but dont take anything away from the french midfield. talking about headers hitting the post, perhaps you have also forgotten the decider penalty kicks, the kick that supposedly didn't go in missed by 6 inches. offsiders are a rule? come on live with it! imagine france with its long passes playing with the off side rule taken away

france deserved to win, a bunch of rogues who bribe and fix matches dont deserve to be champs

LOL, first up, Italy is not my team. I was genuinely neutral yesterday ... although I had picked Italy to win this one.

But some points:
-How does what happened against Australia matter in yesterday's game? As far as I remember, each game starts afresh
-Not taking anything away from the French midfield - but even they dominated only in the second half. First half, Italy was all over the French. But net net, at the end of the day, the Italian defence did its job. All the dominance is useless if you cannot score.
-Offside is a rule; so are penalties. And there is also a rule that mid field dominance does not give you a win. Scoring goals does. And on that count, both teams were even. So, if we are talking rules, let us talk actual goals scored. Who came closer in regular time? Italy did. They scored off a marginal offside and also hit the post with a header. France did not do the same.
-When France hit the post, Italy did better. They hit the back of the net.

So, in sum, where France's shots (actually one clear shot) were saved, Italy were denied only by the post (in regular time) and where France's shots hit the post, Italy hit the back of the net (in penalties).

You dont deserve to win if your top player loses his head in the heat of the moment or if you dont score enough goals. Anyways, bribery and match fixing, unless proven in this specific match, have got nothing to do with who deserved to win yesterday. To me, the team that puts the ball in the back of the net most wins. Simple. Yesterday, Italy did that more than France.
Sachin Tendulkar gave the muhurat clap for 'Awwal Number' - that apart, he hasn't done much wrong in the last 20 yrs!

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2006, 06:05:01 AM »

ITALY deserved to WIN

Sad thing is I don't see it going away. The sport is going to ruined (not that the money or the interest will go away) if this keeps up and I don't see them stopping it. It's going to encourage this brand of football.
"...that is me offering you an olive basket... ...and that is you spitting in my face."

Scott Caan as Turk Malloy

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2006, 06:11:09 AM »

ITALY deserved to WIN

LOL, first up, Italy is not my team. I was genuinely neutral yesterday ... although I had picked Italy to win this one.

But some points:
-How does what happened against Australia matter in yesterday's game? As far as I remember, each game starts afresh
-Not taking anything away from the French midfield - but even they dominated only in the second half. First half, Italy was all over the French. But net net, at the end of the day, the Italian defence did its job. All the dominance is useless if you cannot score.
-Offside is a rule; so are penalties. And there is also a rule that mid field dominance does not give you a win. Scoring goals does. And on that count, both teams were even. So, if we are talking rules, let us talk actual goals scored. Who came closer in regular time? Italy did. They scored off a marginal offside and also hit the post with a header. France did not do the same.
-When France hit the post, Italy did better. They hit the back of the net.

So, in sum, where France's shots (actually one clear shot) were saved, Italy were denied only by the post (in regular time) and where France's shots hit the post, Italy hit the back of the net (in penalties).

You dont deserve to win if your top player loses his head in the heat of the moment or if you dont score enough goals. Anyways, bribery and match fixing, unless proven in this specific match, have got nothing to do with who deserved to win yesterday. To me, the team that puts the ball in the back of the net most wins. Simple. Yesterday, Italy did that more than France.

Scoring of an off-side does not mean you came closer. Most players stop when the flag goes up and the whistle is blown - you could get carded if you try to "score" after the whistle.
"...that is me offering you an olive basket... ...and that is you spitting in my face."

k-slice

« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2006, 06:20:51 AM »

desi yank
i have been wracking my brains thinking of what swear word ends in ies. your post showed up as ****ies.
what exactly ends in ies that this DG doesnt allow?

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2006, 06:25:03 AM »

desi yank
i have been wracking my brains thinking of what swear word ends in ies. your post showed up as ****ies.
what exactly ends in ies that this DG doesnt allow?

the plural of pussy is clearly what he meant. Whether it is allowed or not, je ne sai pas.

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2006, 06:27:36 AM »

Agree, Jiet. Just pointed this out as an example of the fact that Italy seemed to have as many, if not more, attempts at goal as France. If France had won, this incident or the header onto the post would not have meant that a deserving team lost. Just as France's mid field dominance in the second half does not mean that it was France that deserved to win. Yesterday, there was pretty little to separate the teams in my view - other than a single act of stupidity and half an inch. From that perspective, Italy deserved to win as much as France. I just do not understand the sympathy for France or Zidane.

That Italy dive or play act and that the bribery in Serie A has to be condemned and punished are indisputable. But the FIFA has to do something about the former and I hope this win does not soften the punitive action planned in the Italian league. But yesterday, Italy did win fair and square. They did so against Germany too - the best team in the tournament, in my view.

TheChowmeinWarrior

• One Day Star
  • tera maan-ki...sorry..monkey!
« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2006, 06:59:03 AM »

first of all i find it hilarious that ppl accuse the italians of diving and play acting when the french clearly benefitted from their own dramatic abilities for the last two games...henry dived against portugal so thats one up there as to how they got to the finals...and lets not forget how they took the lead in this match with malouda diving forward like he was going for gold in a swimming race at the olympics...france are bunch of sore losers and cheats...zidane saw that they werent gonna win against the superior italian defence and copped out with a low down dirty cheap shot...see ya zizou...wont be missing ya... :-*

and you lot who say that italy are a dour defence orientated team..how do u explain the fact that aside from the USA and Australia games they won their games by 2 goals or more?? i thought defence orientated teams were supposed to score once and sit on their lead?? like go 1-0 up and sit on that for the rest of the match...oh wait..a team did do that..what were they called??...umm...thats right..FRANCE?!?!...

you froggo supporters are a bunch of sore losers and whiners...grow up and get over it..the better team won and they deserved to win..so eat yer humble pie and quit crying...
"Test cricket may be compared to the finest Scotch, 50-overs a side to Indian Made Foreign Liquor, and 20-20 to the local hooch."

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2006, 07:15:35 AM »

Agree, Jiet. Just pointed this out as an example of the fact that Italy seemed to have as many, if not more, attempts at goal as France. If France had won, this incident or the header onto the post would not have meant that a deserving team lost. Just as France's mid field dominance in the second half does not mean that it was France that deserved to win. Yesterday, there was pretty little to separate the teams in my view - other than a single act of stupidity and half an inch. From that perspective, Italy deserved to win as much as France. I just do not understand the sympathy for France or Zidane.

That Italy dive or play act and that the bribery in Serie A has to be condemned and punished are indisputable. But the FIFA has to do something about the former and I hope this win does not soften the punitive action planned in the Italian league. But yesterday, Italy did win fair and square. They did so against Germany too - the best team in the tournament, in my view.
a
Keep-it-cool,
For me the better team on the day was France. I don't think you are alone with your view - it is not rare for me to find myself disagreeing with someone about who was better after watching the same game.

I also thought that the Germans were better over 90 minutes and the Italians were better during the extra-time period. However, there is no disputing that result. The goals are what count.

The real evil for me here is the extent to which gamesmanship has become a part of football. This is a problem, and it is relatively new. I watched Marco van Basten - one of the finest strikers ever- get butchered until he could no longer compete at 28 (he was at his prime). Things were bad then. It's no surprise that diving became popular in the mid-nineites. From then on it's gotten much worse and I see nothing stopping it from getting worse.

Don't think there is anything you can do about boring football. Boring football wins. That's how the Germans used to do it. The Italians are doing it similarly.

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2006, 07:26:39 AM »

Don't think there is anything you can do about boring football. Boring football wins. That's how the Germans used to do it. The Italians are doing it similarly.

Boring or not is not the issue...as long as it is professional and allowed in rules, then fine.
BTW - jiet ur right - Germans used to do that, and italians are doing that (boring but winning) - that is perfectly fine.

Even in cricket, sometimes boring cricket can win u matches like we have seen.

Just saying I want to watch it - so make it non-boring, even if u lose, won't cut it.

REAL ISSUES is that France indeed played better than Italy today. But they still lost - that is sad.

Blwe_torch

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • Last man standing
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2006, 02:34:54 PM »

I think France played the better football.
But unfortunately Italy won.
I was befuddled by the French substitutions...Viera ( hamstring most probably), Henri, Ribbery......and then they lost Zidane. That must have decided, I felt, at that time.
BTW...Zidanes' header looked stunning alright...but I thought. was rather mis-directed.
Vive la France! :)

suraj

• Team of the Century
  • How about a tattoo with my name??
« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2006, 06:04:27 PM »

I pick Italy after knowing that they have won  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I also pick Zidane to be the "headman" of the match  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

OldPal

• Team of the Century
« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2006, 06:05:39 PM »

I pick Italy after knowing that they have won  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I also pick Zidane to be the "headman" of the match  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
You are so Smart ... Applause ..

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2006, 07:39:31 PM »

i swear, such tomfoolery warrants applause  ;D
In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in a clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness. Our life is a long and arduous quest after Truth.
-- Mohandas K *hi

toney

• Team of the Century
« Reply #96 on: July 11, 2006, 04:56:58 AM »

Bunch of sore losers, these French guys ;D :D
Old news but still: IMO, the Italians played excellent attacking football when they were a goal down. This was in a finals and they showed grit and spirit; truly the thing of champions. To their credit, France absorbed the pressure well till the goal came.
The second half saw the French coming back into the game but extra time showed what their captain is made of. Was he a bull in his previous birth?

And for all those losers who say Italy was playing for the penalties. Well, they have a 0-3 record in shootouts. Get your facts right.

It wasnt the players, some high profile club owners bribed refs. And it wasnt match fixing the way we know where players throw matches, alright? Once again, get your facts right. The Italians showed tremendous pluck in reaching a finals in spite of several of these players knowing that they have an uncertain future in store.
When intelligence matures and lodges securely in the mind it becomes wisdom. When wisdom is integrated with life and becomes action it becomes Bhakti. Knowledge when it becomes fully mature is Bhakti. To believe that Jnana and Bhakti, knowledge & devotion, are different from each other is ignorance.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up