Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beckham quitting as England captain  (Read 1526 times)

Blwe_torch

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • Last man standing
Beckham quitting as England captain
« on: July 02, 2006, 04:30:34 PM »

Beckham quitting as England captain
02/07/2006

End of an era: David Beckham announces his decision at a press conference.

David Beckham has announced that he is stepping down as England captain, but the Real Madrid midfielder has insisted that he intends to continue his international career.

Beckham made the announcement at a press conference on Sunday morning in the wake of England's quarter-final defeat by Portugal.

Beckham said: "On 15 November 2000 Peter Taylor gave me the greatest honour of my career in making me the captain of England, fulfilling my childhood dream.

"It has been an honour and a privilege to have captained our country and I want to stress that I wish to continue to play for England and look forward to helping both the new captain and Steve McClaren in any way I can.

"I came to this decision a long time ago, but hoped to announce it on the back of a successful World Cup.

"This decision has been the most difficult of my career to date. But after discussing it with my family and those closest to me I feel the time is right.

"Our performance during this World Cup has not been enough to progress further and both myself and all the players regret that and are hurt by that more than people realise.

"I wish to thank all the players for their support during my time as captain, as well as Peter Taylor, Sven and all the coaches.

"I have lived the dream. I'm extremely proud to have worn the armband and been captain of England, for that I will always be grateful."

Sven-Goran Eriksson admitted his surprise at Beckham's decision to quit as captain, but the Swede conceded his own successor, Steve McClaren, will have "many choices" as to who takes over as skipper - with John Terry the early front-runner.

Eriksson said: "I think David has been a very good captain. He did good work always.

"He has been very proud of doing the job. I was a little bit disappointed when he told me his decision to finish just before he announced it.

"But you have to respect that and that's it. He has been good."

Copyright of Telegraph Group Limited 2006.

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
Re: Beckham quitting as England captain
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 04:57:54 AM »

Being the England fan, I suppose I could discuss the possibilites for the England under new manager Steve Mclaren and  a new captain that is yet to be named.

David Beckham's resignation was not at all a surprise - he was not going to be Mclaren's first choice unless Beckham won the World Cup. The decision, no matter how painful it would have been for Beckham, would have been a relatively simple one.

Mclaren now has to choose someone to lead the side for the until the next World Cup and that front-runners are Steven Gerrard and John Terry. It is not a clear cut choice, but I think John Terry should be the man to lead the England team forward. Both have led their clubs to Champion's League trophies and both have been outstanding while they have done it. Terry seems to be more settled in his role than Gerrard. As incredible, as it may sound, Gerrard might occasionally be benched due to the abundance of midfiedlers in England. As a result, logic suggests that Mclaren would take the more stable option of picking John Terry.

The next step he is likely to take is to drop David Beckham from the squad all-together. Many English fans and many pundits feel that he does not bring enought to the game and McLaren is almost obliged to make a ritual sacrifice in the wake of his ascendancy to the post of England manager. Goodbye, Beckham. Thanks for the all the crosses (that some bear). Whether this is a wise move is an entirely different debate.

Now, I am quite confident that these steps will be taken, although my ability predict outcomes in the footballing world has been exposed over the summer. What follows is what I hope will happen assuming the above steps are taken.

Robinson remains the finest keeper in England even though he may not hold a candle to Peter Cech or Jens Lehmann. Stick with him.

Switch to a 4-4-2 formation. The center-backs Terry and Rio are doing a good job and Ashley Cole the left-back cannot do much wrong. It's seems likely that Luke Young will replace Gary Neville as right-back.

Hargreaves, who for so long has flattered to deceive at the national level, will be first choice for the defensive mid-fielder postion. Play Aaron Lennon on the right, Joe Cole on the left and Gerrard in the center. Just cannot have Gerrard and Lampard play together.

Two men up front - Michael Owen with his back to the post and Wayne Rooney providing the midfield link.

Subs - Sean Wright Phillips can replace Lennon if he ever tires. Stuart Downing for the left side. Peter Crouch and Jermain Defoe on the bench. Frank Lampard can replace an off-color Gerrard if needed.

If we do take these steps and Mclaren instills aggression in the side there is hope for England. In fact, I expect they might even go on and produce quarter-final exits at Euro 2008 and WC 2010.
"...that is me offering you an olive basket... ...and that is you spitting in my face."

Scott Caan as Turk Malloy

Blwe_torch

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • Last man standing
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 06:08:52 AM »

I have become a fan of Peter Crouch! :)
I am sure, he has earned a few fans in this WC.

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 06:33:19 AM »

I have become a fan of Peter Crouch! :)
I am sure, he has earned a few fans in this WC.

Crouch is a very useful player...problem is that he always gets called for aerial challenges-primarily because of his height I think...it always looks like his elbows are close to the the other guys face.  :D :D :D
"...that is me offering you an olive basket... ...and that is you spitting in my face."

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
  • Thanda Thanda Kool Kool
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 07:28:08 AM »

Jiet, Blwe, I havent seen Crouch other than in the WC. But the sense I got from watching him (especially in the game against Portugal) is that the guy is only good if the ball is in the air. He absolutely sucks anytime he has to play with his legs ... very little control. In fact, a few friends and I did a manual count of every time Crouch got the ball on his legs (in the match against Portugal) and gave it away - it was not funny. Obviously, part of this also could have to do with him being the only one forward as a 10 man England fought to take the game to penalties. But, my impression stays. I do not think (or rather I hope for England's sake) that we'll see too much of Crouch - barring injuries to other options
Sachin Tendulkar gave the muhurat clap for 'Awwal Number' - that apart, he hasn't done much wrong in the last 20 yrs!

Blwe_torch

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • Last man standing
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 03:28:34 PM »

Crouch is used to earn a few free kicks too. It is esy to foul him.

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 04:51:36 PM »

Jiet, Blwe, I havent seen Crouch other than in the WC. But the sense I got from watching him (especially in the game against Portugal) is that the guy is only good if the ball is in the air. He absolutely sucks anytime he has to play with his legs ... very little control. In fact, a few friends and I did a manual count of every time Crouch got the ball on his legs (in the match against Portugal) and gave it away - it was not funny. Obviously, part of this also could have to do with him being the only one forward as a 10 man England fought to take the game to penalties. But, my impression stays. I do not think (or rather I hope for England's sake) that we'll see too much of Crouch - barring injuries to other options

Well...I have watched him for longer and I have a slightly different viewpoint.

I personally think that he has the height advantage to win the ball and that makes him decent in the air, but he is not half as good as a Koller - can't head the ball all that well. On the ground, he is definitely more skilled than he appeared in the Portugal game I assure you. He has shown the ability to make neat one touches and flicks. In fact I would say that he is more dangerous when the ball is at his feet than in the air. As Blwe pointed out, he wins free-kicks. However, I get the feeling that they will not start with him - Lennon with his pace on the flank is just as likely to create chances and produces free kicks.

Regardless, this is all pretty academic. I think England won't have a chance to make the semis a major tournament for a long time now. They just don't have a lot of good players coming through the ranks, and the 2010 side will be aging. I would not be surprised if they do not qualify.

I much better off following Tottenham during the Premier League...good players and great manager.

toney

• Team of the Century
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 02:50:32 AM »

I dont know how old Steven Gerard is but I think he should be captain. Hopefully, Rooney can control his temper and do better as a player for England  rather than for the opposition.

BTW, what are Ronaldo's plans?
When intelligence matures and lodges securely in the mind it becomes wisdom. When wisdom is integrated with life and becomes action it becomes Bhakti. Knowledge when it becomes fully mature is Bhakti. To believe that Jnana and Bhakti, knowledge & devotion, are different from each other is ignorance.

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 03:13:45 AM »

Toney...Gerrard is 26 and Terry is 25. Again, this is definitely an option. Gerrard and Lampard just can't play together in the midfield because Lampard is likely to be benched for a while after his disastrous campaign.

My pick is Terry because he seems more steady. Terry has had more experience. Also, Lampard did really well during qualifying and so he should still be an option to start some games. This means that Gerrard may have to benched sometimes.

Rooney will learn from this experience...I think he will realize how stupid he was to get involved. It is sad because Neville, the acting captain should have gotten close to Rooney much quicker than the he did...he should have known the risks of having Rooney alone around 3-4 players of the opposition - they both play for ManU.

Pages: [1]   Go Up