Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: The Roadies Part 1  (Read 23059 times)

sgusa

Re: The Roadies Part 1
« Reply #160 on: July 28, 2006, 06:19:50 AM »

sgusa shes all yours.
i am at a loss for words

I dont want her either ;D

MockTurtle

« Reply #161 on: July 28, 2006, 06:23:44 AM »

this is incredible.
what do you like? you dont like tv, dont like movies, dont like mysore pak and son papdi. sgusa has been making wonders out of frozen paneer and you reject those too. a huge number of dg members were offered to you and that too was rejected.
probably you'd grumble too if you won the lottery "yuck. i cant stand the sight...."

its like one of the sourpuss friends i had in school. another friend's dad had just bought a gorgeous new beamer and we went over to see, and this bloke is like "yeah, but i dont like blue"
 ;D

ha! i DO like a LOT of things - just coz they don't match with yours, i am the sourpuss! frozen paneer and wonders? right! what next - lemonade from canned lemons? and is it my fault if the right members weren't offered?  ;D anyway, i don't like beamers or any fancy car, for that matter. noisy, polluting monsters. public transport is the way to go!

Oh no you didn't!!!!

First Mysore pak. I was interested
Then Son Papdi - I was worried
Now my precious beemer! - I will not stand you calling my beemer names lady! GRRRRRRR

what's so great about it anyway? just another pile of metal with a fancy price and a status symbol. and how does it matter what takes you from point A to point B? anything with wheels and a seat would do, for me.(if the distance can't be walked or done through public transport).

ps: DD, want to consider a "most hated member of this DG?" - i have more than a fair chance to win that!  ;D

sgusa

« Reply #162 on: July 28, 2006, 06:25:50 AM »

this is incredible.
what do you like? you dont like tv, dont like movies, dont like mysore pak and son papdi. sgusa has been making wonders out of frozen paneer and you reject those too. a huge number of dg members were offered to you and that too was rejected.
probably you'd grumble too if you won the lottery "yuck. i cant stand the sight...."

its like one of the sourpuss friends i had in school. another friend's dad had just bought a gorgeous new beamer and we went over to see, and this bloke is like "yeah, but i dont like blue"
 ;D

ha! i DO like a LOT of things - just coz they don't match with yours, i am the sourpuss! frozen paneer and wonders? right! what next - lemonade from canned lemons? and is it my fault if the right members weren't offered?  ;D anyway, i don't like beamers or any fancy car, for that matter. noisy, polluting monsters. public transport is the way to go!

Oh no you didn't!!!!

Now my precious beemer! - I will not stand you calling my beemer names lady! GRRRRRRR

what's so great about it anyway? just another pile of metal with a fancy price and a status symbol. and how does it matter what takes you from point A to point B? anything with wheels and a seat would do, for me.(if the distance can't be walked or done through public transport).

ps: DD, want to consider a "most hated member of this DG?" - i have more than a fair chance to win that!  ;D

Mock, not calling you a kazhuthai, but just using this line metaphorically

"Kazhuthaiku theriyuma Karpoora vaasanai ?" ;D

sgusa

« Reply #163 on: July 28, 2006, 06:26:36 AM »

this is incredible.

;D

Oh no you didn't!!!!

we dont hate you, we are just worried about you :D

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #164 on: July 28, 2006, 06:27:43 AM »

oh where the hell is feverpitch already. panacea is becoming an impediment  ;D
enjoy bicycling or whatever whilst sgusa and i zoom by in our glorious beamers (yeah right)
In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in a clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness. Our life is a long and arduous quest after Truth.
-- Mohandas K *hi

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #165 on: July 28, 2006, 06:35:15 AM »

just another pile of metal with a fancy price and a status symbol. and how does it matter what takes you from point A to point B? anything with wheels and a seat would do, for me.

it matters. its only a pile of metal with the most advanced techonology and luxurious interiors. beats the common man's public transport. sharing seats with some sweaty guy or some weirdass goth punk for an hour long commute? no thanks
In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in a clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness. Our life is a long and arduous quest after Truth.
-- Mohandas K *hi

MockTurtle

« Reply #166 on: July 28, 2006, 06:37:09 AM »

just another pile of metal with a fancy price and a status symbol. and how does it matter what takes you from point A to point B? anything with wheels and a seat would do, for me.

it matters. its only a pile of metal with the most advanced techonology and luxurious interiors. beats the common man's public transport. sharing seats with some sweaty guy or some weirdass goth punk for an hour long commute? no thanks

ok - get an ordinary car if you don't want to ride the public transport! how does it matter if it cost you 70K or 10K? just a status symbol!

MockTurtle

« Reply #167 on: July 28, 2006, 06:38:39 AM »

enjoy bicycling or whatever whilst sgusa and i zoom by in our glorious beamers (yeah right)

i have a 10-gear mountain bike that i use often. i live in a hilly region - why wd i want to be stuck inside a swanky car, with annoying leather smell, climate controlled and with a ton of gizmos (not to forget a braggart owner who bores one to death talking abt his "possession") when i can ride my bike, feel the breeze on my face and get my exercise! cars have certain uses and for that, any car that has 4 wheels and doesn't break down is good enough.

one of my classmates sent this mail to the whole group some time back - "today, i bought a new XYZ (i forget the name) car - it is the happiest day of my life and i have a sense of achievement". and many idjets replied to that congratulating him as if he has crossed the atlantic ocean on a hang-glider or smthing!

« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 10:36:02 AM by MockTurtle »

sgusa

« Reply #168 on: July 28, 2006, 06:39:56 AM »

ok - get an ordinary car if you don't want to ride the public transport! how does it matter if it cost you 70K or 10K? just a status symbol!

Have you seen the 10k tin cans with plastic interiors ??? Feels like a Go-cart. The money is for the safety, comfort and ofcourse for the thril of driving a finely tuned machine. Someone who would rather use fresh paneer over the conveince of frozen should understand that!!

sgusa

« Reply #169 on: July 28, 2006, 06:43:06 AM »

i have a 10-gear mountain bike that i use often. i live in a hilly region - why wd i want to be stuck inside a swanky car, with annoying leather smell, climate controlled and with a ton of gizmos (not to forget a braggart owner who bores one to death talking abt his "possession") when i can ride my bike, feel the breeze on my face and get my exercise! cars have certain uses and for that, any car that has 4 wheels and doesn't break down is good enough.

one of my classmates sent this mail to the whole group some time back - "today, i bought a new XYZ (i forget the name) car - it is the happiest day of my life and i have a sense of achievement". and many idjets replied to that congratulating him as if he has crossed the atlantic ocean on a hand-glider or smthing!

Drive on mountainous roads with lots of curves on a finely made sports car with the top down. That my friend is joie de vivre!

Ofcourse i dont consider my car my achievement or something and it has its place. But rejetting it the way you do is a bit too much tree-loving! ;D

MockTurtle

« Reply #170 on: July 28, 2006, 06:43:47 AM »

Have you seen the 10k tin cans with plastic interiors ??? Feels like a Go-cart. The money is for the safety, comfort and ofcourse for the thril of driving a finely tuned machine. Someone who would rather use fresh paneer over the conveince of frozen should understand that!!

don't tell me that the money you pay is JUST for the safety? it is more for the thrill and pride of owning it. wdn't a Honda or whatever-is-the-current-family-car not do? i am rather functional in my views when it comes to cars/machines and don't care for brand-names. let me be my 'tree-loving' self !(better than being a maramanDai!)  ;D

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #171 on: July 28, 2006, 06:43:58 AM »

if you can afford a 70k car and you derive pleasure from owning it why not. there are other values to be enjoyed from a luxurious car than its name. people take pride in their cars for more than how it looks or how much of a status symbol it is.
-- Mohandas K *hi

MockTurtle

« Reply #172 on: July 28, 2006, 06:46:13 AM »

if you can afford a 70k car and you derive pleasure from owning it why not. there are other values to be enjoyed from a luxurious car than its name. people take pride in their cars for more than how it looks or how much of a status symbol it is.

wokay -  i prefer my flintstone car. *shrug*

sgusa

« Reply #173 on: July 28, 2006, 06:46:54 AM »

don't tell me that the money you pay is JUST for the safety? it is more for the thrill and pride of owning it. wdn't a Honda or whatever-is-the-current family car not do? i am rather functional in my views when it comes to cars/machines and don't care for brand-names. let me be!

I did mention the thrill aspect. And a beemer is a better built machine for the thrill seaker. I dont see my car as JUST transportation. It is my entertainment, my hobby. I feel most alive when i am letting it rip on the highways at 2am.

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #174 on: July 28, 2006, 06:50:43 AM »

there is a time and place for mountain biking and one for enjoying your car. i enjoy a quiet drive at night in a smooth car as much as you enjoy a bike ride i guess, not to say i dont mind going for a bike ride. they are not related in my books.
anyway this hurts as my dad just bought a beamer and i am yet to meet her  :(
it is an achievement on one hand and it is for his enjoyment on another. to question it saying "hey you should have bought a honda it does the same thing" is rather silly. if he is able to afford the best luxury seats, the best feel drive, the best 'gizmos', the best sound system, the best safety features, etc etc etc why not. and it is an achievement because it took 20 years of hard work to say yeah i can afford this, i want it, and i am able to have it.
-- Mohandas K *hi

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #175 on: July 28, 2006, 06:52:30 AM »

well if a flintstone car makes you happy - who is going to question it? i dont see why ppl are so worried about what society says - about your car no less. enjoy what you want within your means and dont question others' happiness
-- Mohandas K *hi

MockTurtle

« Reply #176 on: July 28, 2006, 06:53:37 AM »

I did mention the thrill aspect. And a beemer is a better built machine for the thrill seaker. I dont see my car as JUST transportation. It is my entertainment, my hobby. I feel most alive when i am letting it rip on the highways at 2am.

ennavo po - onnume puriyale ulagathile. i will stick to my hobbies of counting stars, measuring the thickness of moondust etc.

of course, people shd buy what they want. not questioning it. i merely state my opinions, whether asked or not!

sgusa

« Reply #177 on: July 28, 2006, 06:53:59 AM »

well if a flintstone car makes you happy - who is going to question it? i dont see why ppl are so worried about what society says - about your car no less. enjoy what you want within your means and dont question others' happiness

Amen.

Libran

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #178 on: July 28, 2006, 06:55:15 AM »

sgusa shes all yours.
i am at a loss for words

I dont want her either ;D

hehehe.....disowning and passing off something that ne'er belonged to you in the first place ....Nice try, nonetheless ;D

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #179 on: July 28, 2006, 06:55:29 AM »

True story time.

Last year, while entering into a busy road from our internal road, my wife's (who was 12 weeks pregnant) car, which she was driving, was rammed by a car coming at 55-60mph on the driver's side...the car turned into a banana boat, the airbag exploded..and she walked out with one minor scractch and the baby was absolutely fine. The incoming car had bounced off the solid/top quality/high strength iron sidebeams of her car. The police and firemen who extracted her from that wreckage, later the insurance assessor and further later the body shop guy..all said only one thing - you are lucky to be alive and the only reason you are alive is because of the way these cars are built. They are just not the ultimate driving machines, they are one of the safest cars around.

Life vs few extra 000 $s (within reason) on the car..the choice is clear.
Play with heart. Win with class. Lose with dignity

sgusa

« Reply #180 on: July 28, 2006, 06:55:42 AM »

ennavo po - onnume puriyale ulagathile. i will stick to my hobbies of counting stars, measuring the thickness of moondust etc.

of course, people shd buy what they want. not questioning it. i merely state my opinions, whether asked or not!

Dont start singing "Onnume puriyale Ulagathile ..." ;D

BTW, I count stars too. I am on 867,234,745 right now. Just a few billion more to go. What count are you at ?

MockTurtle

« Reply #181 on: July 28, 2006, 06:57:03 AM »

sorry, not trying to be judgemental here. was just trying to understand. anyway, no more comments from me.

sgusa

« Reply #182 on: July 28, 2006, 06:57:56 AM »

True story time.

Last year, while entering into a busy road from our internal road, my wife's (who was 12 weeks pregnant) car, which she was driving, was rammed by a car coming at 55-60mph on the driver's side...the car turned into a banana boat, the airbag exploded..and she walked out with one minor scractch and the baby was absolutely fine. The incoming car had bounced off the solid/top quality/high strength iron sidebeams of her car. The police and firemen who extracted her from that wreckage, later the insurance assessor and further later the body shop guy..all said only one thing - you are lucky to be alive and the only reason you are alive is because of the way these cars are built. They are just not the ultimate driving machines, they are one of the safest cars around.

Good to hear your wife was unharmed in such an accident. I posted my miraculous no scratch escape for a car totalling accident some time back.

Btw, nice plug of the beemer line ;D

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #183 on: July 28, 2006, 07:01:08 AM »

sorry, not trying to be judgemental here. was just trying to understand. anyway, no more comments from me.

no harm done - no need to stop the comments either.
lets just say some ppl think the extra money is justified and some people dont.
at the end of the day - whatever makes one happy
-- Mohandas K *hi

sgusa

« Reply #184 on: July 28, 2006, 07:05:24 AM »

well said. i personally believe that spending for things one feels passionate about is ok. I would probably not spend as much on somehting else that you would. I save money that way, and i can buy computers or the car i always wanted ( salivated over ). If i was making millions, i still could buy a Civic for transportation. But i love cars, and i love speed ( pretty much one of the few times i would risk my neck. But i do drive responsibly and speed only as long as i am in control). So if i had millions , i would get a ferrari (or two ;D). I might not buy a crazy mansion with 50 rooms though.

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #185 on: July 28, 2006, 07:07:17 AM »

Good to hear your wife was unharmed in such an accident. I posted my miraculous no scratch escape for a car totalling accident some time back.
Thanks.  I did read your incident in the rental car thread..

BTW, did you read my comments on faith vs reason discussion on the other thread! What did Joss say?

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #186 on: July 28, 2006, 07:07:54 AM »

well said. i personally believe that spending for things one feels passionate about is ok. I would probably not spend as much on somehting else that you would. I save money that way, and i can buy computers or the car i always wanted ( salivated over ). If i was making millions, i still could buy a Civic for transportation. But i love cars, and i love speed ( pretty much one of the few times i would risk my neck. But i do drive responsibly and speed only as long as i am in control). So if i had millions , i would get a ferrari (or two ;D). I might not buy a crazy mansion with 50 rooms though.

you dont see sgusa buying $3 wines at walmart now do you?  ;D
-- Mohandas K *hi

sgusa

« Reply #187 on: July 28, 2006, 07:11:08 AM »

you dont see sgusa buying $3 wines at walmart now do you?  ;D

Shudder. ;D I dont drink wine to get drunk ( vodka was invented for that very purpose - not that i would willingly drink ethanol+water anyways). I drink wine to enjoy and appreciate the flavors and aromas. $3 wines from walmart, sadly, dont have either.

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #188 on: July 28, 2006, 07:12:43 AM »

$3 wines from walmart, sadly, dont have either.
Are they imported from China?

sgusa

« Reply #189 on: July 28, 2006, 07:14:08 AM »

No clue. But some idjets back at school got a few bottles and proceeded to get drunk. The smell threw me off soo badly.

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #190 on: July 28, 2006, 07:15:06 AM »

nah, they throw some grapes in a blender, strain out the pulpy bits, add some water and ethanol et voila :D
-- Mohandas K *hi

sgusa

« Reply #191 on: July 28, 2006, 07:15:51 AM »

BTW, did you read my comments on faith vs reason discussion on the other thread! What did Joss say?

Joss ? I did read that thread, but not sure what you mention here. And the search, as has been mentioned a few gazillion times, sucks ass. Can you direct me to the post ?

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #192 on: July 28, 2006, 07:17:27 AM »

nah, they throw some grapes in a blender, strain out the pulpy bits, add some water and ethanol et voila :D
Hey could be cheaper, if the Chinese did the above "process" and sold the end product back here..now that this idea is out..expect those wines to be sold for $1.50 in Walmart, next year ;)

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #193 on: July 28, 2006, 07:19:11 AM »

Joss ? I did read that thread, but not sure what you mention here. And the search, as has been mentioned a few gazillion times, sucks ass. Can you direct me to the post ?
http://www.cricketvoice.com/cricketforum2/index.php?topic=4323.msg56444#msg56444

sgusa

« Reply #194 on: July 28, 2006, 07:20:52 AM »

http://www.cricketvoice.com/cricketforum2/index.php?topic=4323.msg56444#msg56444

"that people can have experiences that make them hold beliefs even if they do not have objectively verifiable evidence to support such beliefs."..which is faith!

Good enough for me to re-quote here!

Libran

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #195 on: July 28, 2006, 08:21:02 AM »

True story time.

Most of us seem to have gone thru' some accident or other.Mine was not a car...it was a train that jumped off a bridge and fell into a lake on Kerala (Quilon) in 1988, July 8th to be precise (maybe a reason for my unflinching support for Dada ;) ) . Managed to get off the fallen bogie, get into a boat and reached destination with only afew bruises..

The same train accident which took away the lfe of K'taka Ranji cricketer Ranjit Khanvilkar :(

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #196 on: July 28, 2006, 08:24:55 AM »

True story time.

Most of us seem to have gone thru' some accident or other.Mine was not a car...it was a train that jumped off a bridge and fell into a lake on Kerala (Quilon) in 1988, July 8th to be precise (maybe a reason for my unflinching support for Dada ;) ) . Managed to get off the fallen bogie, get into a boat and reached destination with only afew bruises..

The same train accident which took away the lfe of K'taka Ranji cricketer Ranjit Khanvilkar :(
holy cow thats terrible. glad you got out safely
-- Mohandas K *hi

Cover Point

• Team of the Century
« Reply #197 on: July 28, 2006, 02:12:45 PM »

Rare is it for me to come out in support of Mockani, but I believe I am with her on this.

There is only ONE reason to buy a car with a name tag ... and that is "status" ...

Safety:
If someone can tell me that a family car like a Honda is less safe then you are just kidding.

Can someone gues which car got the highest govt safety rating this year? A beeping Kia!!!

These so called high precision vehicles are nothing more than status symbols. You can say any number of things around it but it comes back to the same thing.

On speed, a standard Honda would go aqs fast as any beamer within reason .. unless u are used to going out and speeding at 200 mph... there is no difference.

And I hate it when people use words like Tree hugging or anything! I mean you say it as if it is a bad thing. There is a huge environmental crisis that we are facing that people like Bush would like us to forget. Everytime we fill up our tanks you can expect a dollar to go to Bush and another to Osama bin laden.

Yes a lot of us are lucky enough to be able to afford these gizmos. But the question that none of us asks is what is the price that our future generations (or even us in our old age) are going to pay?

My biggest regret is letting my wife talk me into buying a fancy name SUV. I wish I had Mockani's dedication to the environment.

If you are interested. my uncle has just written a book "Rethinking Progress" by Harinder Lamba. Buy this book and read it (let me know and I can point you to how you can buy it). He talks about the real price of progress and who relly is paying for it.

Review
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2006/20060618/spectrum/book3.htm

and order it from
http://www.easternbookcorporation.com/moreinfo.php?txt_searchstring=9348

ranjit

• First Class Player
« Reply #198 on: July 28, 2006, 04:48:58 PM »

BTW, I count stars too. I am on 867,234,745 right now. Just a few billion more to go. What count are you at ?

I never get past a 1000. End up losing my way and have to start from scratch again. ;D

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #199 on: July 28, 2006, 06:15:58 PM »

Rare is it for me to come out in support of Mockani, but I believe I am with her on this.

There is only ONE reason to buy a car with a name tag ... and that is "status" ...

Safety:
If someone can tell me that a family car like a Honda is less safe then you are just kidding.

Can someone gues which car got the highest govt safety rating this year? A beeping Kia!!!

These so called high precision vehicles are nothing more than status symbols. You can say any number of things around it but it comes back to the same thing.

On speed, a standard Honda would go aqs fast as any beamer within reason .. unless u are used to going out and speeding at 200 mph... there is no difference.

And I hate it when people use words like Tree hugging or anything! I mean you say it as if it is a bad thing. There is a huge environmental crisis that we are facing that people like Bush would like us to forget. Everytime we fill up our tanks you can expect a dollar to go to Bush and another to Osama bin laden.

Yes a lot of us are lucky enough to be able to afford these gizmos. But the question that none of us asks is what is the price that our future generations (or even us in our old age) are going to pay?

My biggest regret is letting my wife talk me into buying a fancy name SUV. I wish I had Mockani's dedication to the environment.

If you are interested. my uncle has just written a book "Rethinking Progress" by Harinder Lamba. Buy this book and read it (let me know and I can point you to how you can buy it). He talks about the real price of progress and who relly is paying for it.

Review
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2006/20060618/spectrum/book3.htm

and order it from
http://www.easternbookcorporation.com/moreinfo.php?txt_searchstring=9348

Agreed CP....the although a Merc is a terrific ride, shelling out 3 times as much for it never made sense me. The Honda you get in the U.S is an excellent buy.

If it were possible rent them on a weekly basis or such it would make more sense to me.
"...that is me offering you an olive basket... ...and that is you spitting in my face."

Scott Caan as Turk Malloy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up