Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Story-telling: Google's Glass lets technology slip into background  (Read 1250 times)

Blwe_torch

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • Last man standing

Google's Glass project lets technology slip into background
Nick Bilton, New York Times | Jul 2, 2012, 07.27PM IST

I have seen the future, and it is wearable.

But before I tell you about this future, let's take a short trip into the past, specifically to the mid-1400s, when a German by the name of Johannes Gutenberg was hard at work inventing the printing press. There's a common misconception that Gutenberg's press instantly changed society. This isn't quite so.

Those first books were immense. The Morgan Library and Museum's copy of the Gutenberg Bible weighs 33 pounds, 8 ounces. A book wasn't something that you took on a walk to read on a park bench; it wasn't something that was shared with friends. Instead books were immobile, often read only at a lectern. And, as most people were illiterate, there were a select few who could read them.

Those books were essentially equivalent to computers 30 years ago: large and inaccessible to almost everyone in society. In the early 1500s, an Italian by the name of Aldus Manutius invented the pocketable book, changing history. Manutius realized that instead of printing one large page of a book on a printing press, he could print several on a single large sheet of paper, then cut them up, and make smaller, portable books.

Manutius' transformation is like the shift to the smartphone, which are really just very small computers.

To continue our history lesson, another huge shift occurred in the late 1800s when the motion picture was invented. It enabled visual storytelling and at a mass scale unimaginable before.

The equivalent to that moment, of a technology that works regardless of age, education, literacy or intelligence, is happening right now with the advent of wearable computing. These wearable technologies like Google's glasses that project information right where a person is looking will have the same effect on smartphones and computers as the motion picture did on books.

All these things share one distinct trait - a theme that has helped usher in new technologies since people drew on cave walls: storytelling. Storytelling for information and communication.

The ultimate form of communication occurs when "technology gets out of the way," as Sergey Brin, Google's co-founder, said this week at Google I/O, the company's annual developer conference.

Brin noted this during a demonstration of Google's Project Glass, the company's glasses. See a person, and the glasses could tell you his work history. Look at a landmark and its significance could be explained.

I had a brief opportunity to try the glasses, and the experience was as mesmerizing as when I saw the Apple iPhone for the first time.

The screen of Project Glass sits off to the side, clear and unobtrusive. You interact with it when you need to. When an email or text message comes in, you can look if you want, or simply ignore it. It's not as if a large red stop sign is jammed in your face when messages arrive.These things obviously have their share of problems. They cost $1,500, for a special pre-order. Although I'd gleefully walk around with a pair on, my sister and the majority of readers of this newspaper would probably say, "No thanks. Way too geeky for me."

But that will all change.

Brin said the glasses changed the way he posts his activities. "I have found myself responding to a text message or emails asking what I'm doing with a picture," he said.

He told a story of repeatedly throwing his son, Benji, in the air with both hands, and then catching him. Google Glass took pictures and documented the moment. "I could never have done that with a smartphone or a camera," Brin said. Instead, it was just Brin and his son, playing.

The technology was barely there.

And that's the point. When technology gets out of the way, we are liberated from it. Wearable computing will free us from peering at life through a 4-inch screen. We will no longer have to constantly look at our devices, but instead, these wearable devices will look back at us.

2011 The New York Times News Service

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/personal-tech/computing/Googles-Glass-project-lets-technology-slip-into-background/articleshow/14609651.cms

cricinfo

• Team of the Century
  • Laxative Looses wicket
Re: Story-telling: Google's Glass lets technology slip into background
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 06:16:10 PM »

i find it extremely spooky technology and should be something to keep out of consumer market.

I wish this becomes an enormous failure as i dont want to be in a world where complete strangers wearing glasses keep on oggling at everyone - some sort of perverted  voyeurism
Laxman The Laxative Of Indian Cricket

flute

• Team of the Century
  • Mother India
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 01:38:43 AM »

i find it extremely spooky technology and should be something to keep out of consumer market.

I wish this becomes an enormous failure as i dont want to be in a world where complete strangers wearing glasses keep on oggling at everyone - some sort of perverted  voyeurism
I don't know much about google glassess but this wish for complete failure seems a tad too soon to jump to conclusion.. Why assume any privacy is breached by this new technology.. All it seems is a new way of accessing already publicly available info.. Like all new technologies there will be hiccups, reluctance to accept etc until it becomes acceptable
Where the mind is without fear and the head held high;
Where words come out from the depth of truth;
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way into the dreary desert sand of dead habit;
let my country awake.

cricinfo

• Team of the Century
  • Laxative Looses wicket
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 04:19:21 AM »

I don't know much about google glassess but this wish for complete failure seems a tad too soon to jump to conclusion.. Why assume any privacy is breached by this new technology.. All it seems is a new way of accessing already publicly available info.. Like all new technologies there will be hiccups, reluctance to accept etc until it becomes acceptable

Yes you mentioned something which is very important - "publicly available info" . Google is literally playing with fire  on this with its enormous cache of information and how it eventually intends to co-relate and present it to consumers(there is already plenty of controversy around Google's usage of personal data). I do foresee eventually this becoming an issue of public concern and govt. stepping into it.
Projects like Google Glass will eventually lead to path breaking innovations with key applications in govt, defense  etc. But I feel application in consumer world should be limited to certain type of marketing usage as i am definitely not comfortable someone scanning my profile while passing by me and figuring out that i am wearing certain  underwear   brand and  a frequent visitor to Starbucks - it is synonymous to encouraging stalking by public.
Laxman The Laxative Of Indian Cricket

Blwe_torch

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • Last man standing
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 05:17:27 AM »

I shall lay my hands on one........as and when they are commercially available in India ( may be around 2015, I guess). I believe, it will be a game-changer eventually and influence the way, we live our daily lives. I can guess, it will be priced around Rs.35000/- to Rs.40000/- in India...........or may be, a wee bit more.

flute

• Team of the Century
  • Mother India
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 11:14:01 AM »

i find it extremely spooky technoogy and should be something to keep out of consumer market.

Yes you mentioned something which is very important - "publicly available info" . Google is literally playing with fire  on this with its enormous cache of information and how it eventually intends to co-relate and present it to consumers(there is already plenty of controversy around Google's usage of personal data). I do foresee eventually this becoming an issue of public concern and govt. stepping into it.
Projects like Google Glass will eventually lead to path breaking innovations with key applications in govt, defense  etc. But I feel application in consumer world should be limited to certain type of marketing usage as i am definitely not comfortable someone scanning my profile while passing by me and figuring out that i am wearing certain  underwear   brand and  a frequent visitor to Starbucks - it is synonymous to encouraging stalking by public.

That ain't the concern right now unless you acchieve stardom.. Pls spend a bit more time to gather info about this tech.. Remember google may know a few things about you based on your IP address search pattern but cannot tie it to a face yet. NO you cannot walk on road scanning profiles of strangers on road. Yes you can scan profiles of land marks, city etc things one would google normally.. Only it is now a head up display. I have this in my car right now.. GPS directions are displayed right in front of me on the winshield.. Awesome & safe & very very useful.. Never have a touch a button for directions..google glasses goes one step further & wants to hang it on your eyes. This is nothing but a heads up display with some some motion detection capabilities.. RIGHT NOW, privacy is not an issue for this technology, it is not some sort of xray device.. Viability of this technology is the biggest question mark. Do people really want to wear something like this rather than going about carrying hand held devices?
I do see complete sense in wearing them for picture taking purpose. If we think about it, we tend to lose quite a few good moments in life by trying to capture them on camera.. With a camera blocking our face.. In that way this will definitely revolutionalize picture taking.. We don't have to pause our life for pictures any more
Where the mind is without fear and the head held high;
Where words come out from the depth of truth;
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way into the dreary desert sand of dead habit;
let my country awake.
Pages: [1]   Go Up