Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kahaani...  (Read 1871 times)

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
Kahaani...
« on: March 12, 2012, 12:43:01 AM »

must watch..
Play with heart. Win with class. Lose with dignity

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
Re: Kahaani...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 03:44:08 AM »

for those who have read the millenium trilogy..
Lisbeth = Bidya, Blomkvist=Rana, Zalachenko = Milan, Section = IB Cabal :)

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 05:10:57 AM »

good fun. i thought it would be like A Mighty Heart, but not at all.

more good movies with females carrying the story needed
In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in a clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness. Our life is a long and arduous quest after Truth.
-- Mohandas K *hi

Cover Point

• Cover Point
  • Team of the Century
  • Cover Point
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 07:08:04 PM »

Really a good movie. Seems to copy some themes from the Bourne movies. First time in a long time that the wife and I went to watch a movie leaving the kids. Enjoyed it :)
Busting Gangulian chops since eternity.

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 05:52:15 AM »

Really a good movie. Seems to copy some themes from the Bourne movies. First time in a long time that the wife and I went to watch a movie leaving the kids. Enjoyed it :)

yes i thought exactly the same - that there is room for a sequel and that this had elements of bourne in it
In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in a clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness. Our life is a long and arduous quest after Truth.
-- Mohandas K *hi

ruchir

• Team of the Century
  • WC03 Final - Ganguly is in pain after a fall
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 03:57:04 AM »

Watching the movie... however I doubt if V Bidya will do the rape/lesbian type scenes. I'd love to see them (lesbian scene) though...  ;)

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 09:33:04 PM »

Watching the movie... however I doubt if V Bidya will do the rape/lesbian type scenes. I'd love to see them (lesbian scene) though...  ;)
;D
I seriously think that Lisbeth's wronged hacker is the inspiration behind Bidya .. of course, losing her husband is the wrong here as opposed to the lifetime of abuses (Zala, Bjurman et al) Lisbeth faced.

ruchir

• Team of the Century
  • WC03 Final - Ganguly is in pain after a fall
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 05:27:26 PM »

;D
I seriously think that Lisbeth's wronged hacker is the inspiration behind Bidya .. of course, losing her husband is the wrong here as opposed to the lifetime of abuses (Zala, Bjurman et al) Lisbeth faced.
I saw the Swedish trilogy and then saw the hollywood version. Must say that I liked the Swedish original more.

I like Kahaani too. Watched it with wife and at the end both of us felt that there was enough leeway to make a follow-up movie where Agent Vidya takes on another mission to capture/kill another bad guy. Vidya Balan really acted well in this movie.

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 06:44:33 PM »

;D
I saw the Swedish trilogy and then saw the hollywood version. Must say that I liked the Swedish original more.

I like Kahaani too. Watched it with wife and at the end both of us felt that there was enough leeway to make a follow-up movie where Agent Vidya takes on another mission to capture/kill another bad guy. Vidya Balan really acted well in this movie.
I saw the Swedish version too... liked it. They skipped a lot of the side stories to keep it short.. which is fine.

I thought Rooney Mara did an excellent job in the US version.

Agree, Vidya was very good...and this has sequel potential - but the surprise element is gone now
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 06:47:23 PM by LosingNow »

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 06:45:47 PM »

BTW, if you have netflix... you can stream another good nordic thriller - Jar City. It is based in Iceland. I liked it a lot

feverpitch

• Team of the Century
  • Capitalism's final crisis (cartoon from 1969)
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 08:22:32 AM »

;D

Have you read Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Høeg? More than Lisbeth, I'd say it's Smilla Qaaviqaaq Jaspersen who is the inspiration behind V/Bidya, what with the many apparent friends turning out to be not quite what they initially appear to be. However, It's best to say that several Scandinavian thrillers have left their impact on the story of Kahaani. Saw the movie last night and thoroughly enjoyed it, despite many loose ends, like:

1. It's not clear if Vidya and Arup were both in IB, considering her consummate ease in handling the gun, and also maintaining her false cover. In which case, wouldn't the IB (baddies Bhaskaran & Sridhar, and the ultimately straightforward Khan) be on her right from the beginning?

2. Why was the Metro poison gas kept in a baby's feeding bottle (which is very leaky)? Why was the bag left unguarded? Where was Milan then? Was the mother who had forgotten the baby's bottle a decoy, or was it just a coincidence that she sat next to where the bag with the gas was kept? What a big coincidence then!

3. Where did Vidya get so much info on Milan, including the photo which she could then morph on hubby Arup's face? Even if it were Bajpai, who turns out to be the orchestra conductor in the end, how/why is he able to trust Vidya to that extent, if she is not from the IB already? In which case, Q1 follows again.
"Every rise of fascism bears witness to a failed revolution."
Walter Benjamin

feverpitch

• Team of the Century
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 08:31:50 AM »

Also, why did she see Milan in her dreams, and not Arup?
Walter Benjamin

feverpitch

• Team of the Century
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 08:22:57 AM »

Lastly, despite a far better use of Kolkata's cityscape than any previous Bolly filmmaker, I was disappointed when I repeatedly saw the use of "famous landmarks" as visual reference points, despite the fact that it didn't match the actual topography. For example: someone who knows Kolkata well would know you don't need to cross Victoria Memorial to reach PG/SSKM Hospital morgue from Kalighat, where she was staying at the "Monalisa" guest house.
Walter Benjamin

Blwe_torch

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • Last man standing
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 03:42:39 PM »

nice movie........

well,  even Parineeta had a very nicely photographed Kolkata city-scape................Vidya Balan being the common feature, besides.
Was this better than that( city-scape wise)?
Not sure....

feverpitch

• Team of the Century
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 07:44:07 AM »

nice movie........

well,  even Parineeta had a very nicely photographed Kolkata city-scape................Vidya Balan being the common feature, besides.
Not sure....

Disagree. The real grime and filth of Kolkata comes through much more realistically in Kahaani than the artificially dolled up sets in Parineeta.
Walter Benjamin

Blwe_torch

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • Last man standing
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 11:53:47 AM »

nice movie........

Not sure....

Disagree. The real grime and filth of Kolkata comes through much more realistically in Kahaani than the artificially dolled up sets in Parineeta.

yes...but that is what i don't like to show others. :)....................that is, the road-level or rickshaw-level grime and filth.
btw, whenever I see Kolkata in movies, it looks like a poorer/ decadent version of some Italian city.....................those narrow, cobbled alley-ways look distinctly Italian ( although, the architectural heritage is British/ Victorian mostly)....................may be some other european countries also..........but Italy comes to my mind right away, as I have experienced it personally.   No wonder, the Britishers called it the City of Palaces.
I used to wonder in my childhood..why Kolkata is called the City of Palaces?!................All I could see were huts, jhuggies, shanties, tinned temporary sheds, etc...........................................but then I studied Architecture......travelled a few countries...........and my way of looking changed, may be. :)

Conversely, when I was roaming around the alleys of Sienna, Florence, or other Tuscan towns...........the experience used to remind me of Kolkata.

feverpitch

• Team of the Century
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 12:03:01 PM »

nice movie........

Not sure....

yes...but that is what i don't like to show others. :)....................that is, the road-level or rickshaw-level grime and filth.
btw, whenever I see Kolkata in movies, it looks like a poorer/ decadent version of some Italian city.....................those narrow, cobbled alley-ways look distinctly Italian ( although, the architectural heritage is British/ Victorian mostly)....................may be some other european countries also..........but Italy comes to my mind right away, as I have experienced it personally.   No wonder, the Britishers called it the City of Palaces.
I used to wonder in my childhood..why Kolkata is called the City of Palaces?!................All I could see were huts, jhuggies, shanties, tinned temporary sheds, etc...........................................but then I studied Architecture......travelled a few countries...........and my way of looking changed, may be. :)

Conversely, when I was roaming around the alleys of Sienna, Florence, or other Tuscan towns...........the experience used to remind me of Kolkata.
I'd call that silly. If one can't love a city DESPITE its shortcomings, (s)he shouldn't have any right to claim to love it. Particularly when we're talking about a poor, third world city, with, I'd say, one of the highest tolerance levels for outsiders and migrants anywhere.
Walter Benjamin
Pages: [1]   Go Up