Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sugar Should Be Regulated As Toxin  (Read 3106 times)

ruchir

• Team of the Century
  • WC03 Final - Ganguly is in pain after a fall
Sugar Should Be Regulated As Toxin
« on: February 01, 2012, 09:18:25 PM »

Today it's sugar, tomorrow it'll be salt, what will be next?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://news.yahoo.com/sugar-regulated-toxin-researchers-180605186.html

Sugar Should Be Regulated As Toxin, Researchers Say

A spoonful of sugar might make the medicine go down. But it also makes blood pressure and cholesterol go up, along with your risk for liver failure, obesity, heart disease and diabetes.

Sugar and other sweeteners are, in fact, so toxic to the human body that they should be regulated as strictly as alcohol by governments worldwide, according to a commentary in the current issue of the journal Nature by researchers at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF).

The researchers propose regulations such as taxing all foods and drinks that include added sugar, banning sales in or near schools and placing age limits on purchases.

Although the commentary might seem straight out of the Journal of Ideas That Will Never Fly, the researchers cite numerous studies and statistics to make their case that added sugar or, more specifically, sucrose, an even mix of glucose and fructose found in high-fructose corn syrup and in table sugar made from sugar cane and sugar beets has been as detrimental to society as alcohol and tobacco.

Sour words about sugar

The background is well-known: In the United States, more than two-thirds of the population is overweight, and half of them are obese. About 80 percent of those who are obese will have diabetes or metabolic disorders and will have shortened lives, according to the UCSF authors of the commentary, led by Robert Lustig. And about 75 percent of U.S. health-care dollars are spent on diet-related diseases, the authors said.

Worldwide, the obese now greatly outnumber the undernourished, according to the World Health Organization. Obesity is a public health problem in most countries. And chronic diseases related to diet such as heart diseases, diabetes and some cancers for the first time in human history kill more people than infectious diseases, according to the United Nations.

Less known, and still debated, is sugar's role in the obesity and chronic disease pandemic. From an evolutionary perceptive, sugar in the form of fruit was available only a few months of the year, at harvest time, the UCSF researchers said. Similarly, honey was guarded by bees and therefore was a treat, not a dietary staple. [6 Easy Ways to Eat More Fruits & Veggies]

Today, added sugar, as opposed to natural sugars found in fruits, is often added in foods ranging from soup to soda. Americans consume on average more than 600 calories per day from added sugar, equivalent to a whopping 40 teaspoons. "Nature made sugar hard to get; man made it easy," the researchers write.

Many researchers are seeing sugar as not just "empty calories," but rather a chemical that becomes toxic in excess. At issue is the fact that glucose from complex carbohydrates, such as whole grains, is safely metabolized by cells throughout the body, but the fructose element of sugar is metabolized primarily by the liver. This is where the trouble can begin taxing the liver, causing fatty liver disease, and ultimately leading to insulin resistance, the underlying causes of obesity and diabetes.

Added sugar, more so than the fructose in fiber-rich fruit, hits the liver more directly and can cause more damage in laboratory rodents, anyway. Some researchers, however, remained unconvinced of the evidence of sugar's toxic effect on the human body at current consumption levels, as high as they are.

Economists to the rescue

Lustig, a medical doctor in UCSF's Department of Pediatrics, compares added sugar to tobacco and alcohol (coincidentally made from sugar) in that it is addictive, toxic and has a negative impact on society, thus meeting established public health criteria for regulation. Lustig advocates a consumer tax on any product with added sugar.

Among Lustig's more radical proposals are to ban the sale of sugary drinks to children under age 17 and to tighten zoning laws for the sale of sugary beverages and snacks around schools and in low-income areas plagued by obesity, analogous to alcoholism and alcohol regulation.

Economists, however, debate as to whether a consumer tax such as a soda tax proposed in many U.S. states is the most effective means of curbing sugar consumption. Economists at Iowa State University led by John Beghin suggest taxing the sweetener itself at the manufacturer level, not the end product containing sugar.

This concept, published last year in the journal Contemporary Economic Policy, would give companies an incentive to add less sweetener to their products. After all, high-fructose corn syrup is ubiquitous in food in part because it is so cheap and serves as a convenient substitute for more high-quality ingredients, such as fresher vegetables in processed foods.

Some researchers argue that saturated fat, not sugar, is the root cause of obesity and chronic disease. Others argue that it is highly processed foods with simple carbohydrates. Still others argue that it is a lack of physical exercise. It could, of course, be a matter of all these issues.

Christopher Wanjek is the author of the books "Bad Medicine" and "Food At Work." His column, Bad Medicine, appears regularly on LiveScience.

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
Re: Sugar Should Be Regulated As Toxin
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 06:10:05 AM »

i agree with the scientific premise. but taxing? really? that is surely not the answer

also, natural sugar from fruits isn't great for you. eating the fruit gives you lots of other vitamins and nutrients which is why you should eat it. drinking fruit juice and thinking its 'good for you because its natural' is a myth. sugar is sugar.

this extends to starches - potatoes, bread, rice. its all glucose in the end which gives your liver work to do and spikes insulin. im following a 1-2 slice - a - day rule (or equivalent in rice, potatoes etc) as a maximum. there are days where i dont eat any  :'(
In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in a clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness. Our life is a long and arduous quest after Truth.
-- Mohandas K *hi

feverpitch

• Team of the Century
  • Capitalism's final crisis (cartoon from 1969)
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 07:04:40 AM »

i agree with the scientific premise. but taxing? really? that is surely not the answer

Haven't you heard of the "one-size-fits-all" strategy of capitalism? All solutions to modern problems proffered by industry and its lackeys are predicated on this one strategy after all. Whether it is extinction of fossil fuels ("tax vehicles & gasolene"), or protecting the environment from noxious gases ("carbon credit"), or tobacco ("tax ciggies"), its all the same. Then get lackeys to conduct some spurious "study", declare "victory", and keep the doubters busy doing the recalculations and fighting over nitty gritties...
"Every rise of fascism bears witness to a failed revolution."
Walter Benjamin

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 09:05:56 PM »

Totally agree
also, natural sugar from fruits isn't great for you. eating the fruit gives you lots of other vitamins and nutrients which is why you should eat it. drinking fruit juice and thinking its 'good for you because its natural' is a myth. sugar is sugar.

this extends to starches - potatoes, bread, rice. its all glucose in the end which gives your liver work to do and spikes insulin. im following a 1-2 slice - a - day rule (or equivalent in rice, potatoes etc) as a maximum. there are days where i dont eat any  :'(
Awesome .. way to go.

I am down to 2 phulkas (1 each for lunch and dinner) or 2 small cups of brown rice a day as well.

Body fat % down to low teens from 21% and sugar & cholesterol in full control.

Diet is only one part of the equation.. exercise is important too.
Play with heart. Win with class. Lose with dignity

Cover Point

• Cover Point
  • Team of the Century
  • Cover Point
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 09:27:48 PM »

Totally agree

this extends to starches - potatoes, bread, rice. its all glucose in the end which gives your liver work to do and spikes insulin. im following a 1-2 slice - a - day rule (or equivalent in rice, potatoes etc) as a maximum. there are days where i dont eat any :'(
Awesome .. way to go.

I am down to 2 phulkas (1 each for lunch and dinner) or 2 small cups of brown rice a day as well.

I think exercise is over rated. If Exercise was that important then all gangulians would be in great shape. They seem to exercise their imagination to the furthest stretches every time Ganguly touches a bat. Every edged is exercises to be a top shot.
Busting Gangulian chops since eternity.

cricinfo

• Team of the Century
  • Laxative Looses wicket
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 03:14:34 AM »

Totally agree

this extends to starches - potatoes, bread, rice. its all glucose in the end which gives your liver work to do and spikes insulin. im following a 1-2 slice - a - day rule (or equivalent in rice, potatoes etc) as a maximum. there are days where i dont eat any :'(
Awesome .. way to go.

I think exercise is over rated. If Exercise was that important then all gangulians would be in great shape. They seem to exercise their imagination to the furthest stretches every time Ganguly touches a bat. Every edged is exercises to be a top shot.

Ganguly and Gangulians believe in exercise of mind and soul. Physical body is something which exists for a limited period of time in this material world. Mind and soul are eternal. To put things perspective Saurav Ganguly will still prevail 1000 years down the line and rein the mind and soul of true cricket fans , there will not be any chappal or lakha followers existing in this earth or moon colony (assuming Gingrich becomes president voted in power by CP and his chicago underworld friends)
Laxman The Laxative Of Indian Cricket

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 03:26:46 AM »

Ganguly and Gangulians believe in exercise of mind and soul. Physical body is something which exists for a limited period of time in this material world.

Ganguly's fielding certainly gave me that impression.
I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. - (thanks, Hugh Gallagher)

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 03:36:51 AM »

I support bacchanalian life styles (like Aishwarya's?), but how do you factor in sugar from booze in your planning?
I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. - (thanks, Hugh Gallagher)

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 04:39:36 AM »

I support bacchanalian life styles (like Aishwarya's?), but how do you factor in sugar from booze in your planning?

haha everyone has vices  ;D

drinks are counted and appropriate amount of exercise is done. also try to reduce carbs on that day
In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in a clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness. Our life is a long and arduous quest after Truth.
-- Mohandas K *hi

achutank

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 05:17:26 AM »

so what do you eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner? just curious - vegetables? meat? fish?
there is more than meets the i

achutank

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 05:18:13 AM »

Totally agree

Awesome .. way to go.

losing -

so what do you eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner? just curious - vegetables? meat? fish?

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 05:49:13 AM »

Totally agree

Awesome .. way to go.

losing -

It varies .. let me share what i ate on 2 days last week to give you a general sense. BTW, I track it on myfitnesspal app .. so i have a full record of what i eat.

Feb2 : total calories consumed = 2008

Breakfast
3 egg white omelet with spinach, tomatoes, onions, and mushroom
1 cup of steel cut oats with water only
1 cup of orange slices
2 cups of coffee

Lunch
6 oz grilled spicy chicken - 23g carbs, 28g protein
1 cup brown rice
1 cup cooked broccoli
1 cup grilled onions and green peppers

dinner
1 cup spinach
1 cup kale
2 cups toor dal
1 multi-grain phulka with no oil/ghee

snacks - spread throughout the day
1 oz salted almonds
1 apple
2 scoops of Dymatize Iso 100 whey protein shake - 0 fat, 48 g protein, 0 carb

Exercise : 25 min on elliptical burnt 260 cals
------
Feb 3 : total calories consumed = 1949

breakfast
3 hard boiled eggs
1 cup hot 10-grain (Bob's Red Mill brand) cereal (with water)
1 cup of blueberries
1 cup of orange slices

lunch
1 large grilled chicken salad - organic spring mix of lettuce, spinach, greens, carrots, apples, onions, tomatoes, raisins, pine nuts, pomegrenate and grilled chicken (6 oz)
1 slice of healthfull 10 grain bread (Oroweat brand)

dinner
2 cups moong dal
1 cup baingan bharta
1 cup karela

snacks spread throughout the day
1 cup frozen yogurt with fresh strawberries,lychees, blueberries
1 cup salted almonds
3 scoops of Dymatize Iso 100 whey protein shake - 0 fat, 72 g protein, 0 carb

----
Exercise 45 min of strength/weight training burnt 310 cals

-----

You can replace the protein shake (if you dont like it or cannot find a good one) with chicken or even beans or fish .. it is not as clean as pure protein, you wil get some carbs and fat (hopefully the good kind).

Also, I have been recently diagnosed with lactose intolerance (I am told it is fairly common among Indians but not diagnosed!) .. therefore, i avoid milk, otherwise i would have cereal with milk.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 06:00:46 AM by LosingNow »

achutank

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 06:45:23 AM »

thanks man  :)

feverpitch

• Team of the Century
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 07:07:27 AM »

Totally agree

Awesome .. way to go.

losing -

It varies .. let me share what i ate on 2 days last week to give you a general sense. BTW, I track it on myfitnesspal app .. so i have a full record of what i eat.

Breakfast
1 cup of orange slices
2 cups of coffee

Lunch
1 cup brown rice
1 cup cooked broccoli

dinner
1 cup spinach
1 cup kale
2 cups toor dal

1 oz salted almonds
1 apple

------

breakfast
3 hard boiled eggs
1 cup of blueberries
1 cup of orange slices

lunch
1 large grilled chicken salad - organic spring mix of lettuce, spinach, greens, carrots, apples, onions, tomatoes, raisins, pine nuts, pomegrenate and grilled chicken (6 oz)

dinner
2 cups moong dal
1 cup baingan bharta
1 cup karela

1 cup salted almonds

----

-----

You can replace the protein shake (if you dont like it or cannot find a good one) with chicken or even beans or fish .. it is not as clean as pure protein, you wil get some carbs and fat (hopefully the good kind).

Also, I have been recently diagnosed with lactose intolerance (I am told it is fairly common among Indians but not diagnosed!) .. therefore, i avoid milk, otherwise i would have cereal with milk.

Hope this helps.

R U into BDSM? ::Whip::
Walter Benjamin

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 07:24:42 AM »

I don't know about you but I was told by k-slice to eat * and die.

feverpitch

• Team of the Century
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 08:10:55 AM »

I don't know about you but I was told by k-slice to eat * and die.

Well, he seems to have hit the nail on its head.

Actually, I'm going through a nervous phase myself, after being diagnosed with cholesterol levels slightly above normal. That air of invincibility I had is kind of gone.

And the craving for red meat, lard, fries and pastries has gone up.
Walter Benjamin

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 09:08:02 AM »

Totally agree

Awesome .. way to go.

losing -

Breakfast
1 cup of orange slices
2 cups of coffee

Lunch
1 cup brown rice
1 cup cooked broccoli

dinner
1 cup spinach
1 cup kale
2 cups toor dal

1 oz salted almonds
1 apple

------

breakfast
3 hard boiled eggs
1 cup of blueberries
1 cup of orange slices

lunch

dinner
2 cups moong dal
1 cup baingan bharta
1 cup karela

1 cup salted almonds

----

-----

Hope this helps.

holy * you eat a lot you fat bstrd  ;D ;D
-- Mohandas K *hi

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 09:18:13 AM »

i stuck to mostly grilled meats and lots of veggies for about 2 months before relaxing my rules. they were toughest because you wont get immediate results and cravings are there.

- completely ruled out rice and breads (maybe had some form of bread once a week)
 - kept a maximum of 4 pegs, once a week (thursday nights) and no alcohol apart from that
 - didnt have daal, or other legumes, or any refined sugars: i was following the paleo diet and these are all no-nos
 - light exercise  3 times a week

after this period the cravings were completely gone and there were good results. and i took a 1 week break after this where i went to India ... maybe had more alcohol, but stayed away from oily curries and breads and rices. went running more...that's about all

when i got back in mid-november, i ramped up the exercise (more intensive and 3-4 times a week) and eased off on the carbs/sugar embargo.

will post typical plan soon.

(i've lost about 9-10 kilos in 3-4 months)
-- Mohandas K *hi

achutank

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 12:53:43 PM »

i stuck to mostly grilled meats and lots of veggies for about 2 months before relaxing my rules. they were toughest because you wont get immediate results and cravings are there.

- completely ruled out rice and breads (maybe had some form of bread once a week)
 - kept a maximum of 4 pegs, once a week (thursday nights) and no alcohol apart from that
 - didnt have daal, or other legumes, or any refined sugars: i was following the paleo diet and these are all no-nos
 - light exercise  3 times a week

after this period the cravings were completely gone and there were good results. and i took a 1 week break after this where i went to India ... maybe had more alcohol, but stayed away from oily curries and breads and rices. went running more...that's about all

when i got back in mid-november, i ramped up the exercise (more intensive and 3-4 times a week) and eased off on the carbs/sugar embargo.

will post typical plan soon.

(i've lost about 9-10 kilos in 3-4 months)

thanks man

achutank

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 02:23:36 PM »

losing / dd -

this is what i intend to do (a lot of what you have we don't get (Blueberries - this is india man! :-D ;D)

breakfast:-
1 egg in the morning
1 banana
1 bowl oats with milk (no sugar)
1 tea with half a spoon sugar

lunch:
1 cup bhajji
1 bowl salad
3 chappatis (no oil)

evening snacks: (this is the tough one man the craving is very high at 5.60 - 6 pm)
sukha bhelpuri (ie no chutneys or sev)
or fruit plate plus narial pani
or packed dairy dahi with chat masala/ cut cucumber

dinner:
boiled vegetables
watery dahi
1 cup dal
1 cup vegetables
1 cup rice

snacks through the day:
handful non-salted peanuts
1 extra cutting chai before mid-day
1 banana

what do you think?

Cover Point

• Cover Point
  • Team of the Century
  • Cover Point
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 05:14:37 PM »

boy .... i wish i could eat all that

I go between being very good on many days and being terrible.

Most days

I skip breakfast (or just have 1-20 cups of tea)

Lunch is some large soup with oyster crackers (around $300 calories)

Dinner would be 2 cups of dal with a large serving of sabzi and 2 phulkas (no oil)

Total calories are around 1000- 1100

I also spend about 30-40 mts 5-6 times a week on the eliptical (350-400 calories).

Those are the good days :

the bad days

cereal for Breakfast

Eat out for lunch (Sushi or mexican or ???) always close to 1000 calories

Eat out for Dinner (just about anything goes) 1000 - 1200 calories.

Beer and/or scotch :)

By the way DD , where does the Hamburger (red meat) count in your calorie/diet intake :)

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 08:17:02 PM »

holy * you eat a lot you fat bstrd  ;D ;D

No, I dont. I eat close to 2000 calories a day...which is what I need to maintain my weight.  I am not trying to lose weight.

I have been within 2 lbs of my ideal weight for last 5 years. The issue is - due to irregular eating habits, regular drinking (as described in Bobby's bad days :) ) and lack of regular exercise - I had put on a lot of fat around my belly. Also, my dose of medications to control diabetes had to be raised couple of times last year.

So my goal has been to a)maintain my weight, b) lose the belly fat and gain equivalent lbs of muscle, and c) reduce (possibly eliminate) my dependence on diabetic and cholesterol medications. Muscle acts as a natural insulin, and increases body's metabolism rate.

I try to consume 2000 calories a day.. with 40%/40%/20% split between carbs/proteins/fat. I also eat enough variety of greens, fruits and vegetables to hit the RDA for most of the essential micronutrients - calcium, iron, potassium, vitamins A & C etc.

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 08:41:58 PM »

losing / dd -

this is what i intend to do (a lot of what you have we don't get (Blueberries - this is india man! :-D ;D)

breakfast:-
1 egg in the morning
1 banana
1 bowl oats with milk (no sugar)
1 tea with half a spoon sugar

lunch:
1 cup bhajji
1 bowl salad
3 chappatis (no oil)

evening snacks: (this is the tough one man the craving is very high at 5.60 - 6 pm)
sukha bhelpuri (ie no chutneys or sev)
or fruit plate plus narial pani
or packed dairy dahi with chat masala/ cut cucumber

dinner:
boiled vegetables
watery dahi
1 cup dal
1 cup vegetables
1 cup rice

snacks through the day:
handful non-salted peanuts
1 extra cutting chai before mid-day
1 banana

what do you think?

I just put this data in myfitnesspal and here are the results. Treat them as approximate but directionaly correct as I had to assume a few things.

Total calories = 1912
Carbs = 62%
Protein = 15%
Fat = 23%

Nutrients
Vitamin A = 273% of RDA
Vitamin C = 86%
Calcium = 71%
Iron = 78%
Potassium = 70%

--
I dont know what your goals are and I am not a nutritionist.

However, these are my general comments/suggestions ..

a. First, find out what is the amount of calories your body is burning for the level of your lifestyle (sedentary vs moderate activity vsstrenuous activitiy), your weight, your height and your age. For sedentary lifestyle, this is typically in the 2000-2200 calories range.
b. If you are trying to lose weight, you need to create a "calorie deficit". Let's say you decide to create 500 cal/day deficit (BTW, for every 3500 calorie deficit you create you lose 1 lb of weight), then you need to consume 2200/2000 - 500 = 1700/1500 calories a day, to lose 1 lb in a week.
c. If you add exercise to this and say burn 200-300 cals/ day doing that... that will add to this calorie deficit.
d. In my view, you are eating a lot of carbs and too little proteins .. imo, 62% of carbs is too high and 15% proteins is too low. They should be 50%/30% or even more skewed towards protein. I would cut a roti or 2 and add either chicken or cup of dal or rajma or beans. I would recommend you consult a nutritionist or doctor to get a better handle on this for your health.
e. On the nutrients - the above is approximate because I had to pick specific vegetables etc. I think you appear to be covered well on them.

Hope this helps

PS:  we have couple of doctors on the DG - inoc, dlee - that I know of. Maybe they can comment on this too
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 09:15:36 PM by LosingNow »

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 09:14:46 PM »

Most days

Dinner would be 2 cups of dal with a large serving of sabzi and 2 phulkas (no oil)

I also spend about 30-40 mts 5-6 times a week on the eliptical (350-400 calories).

the bad days

cereal for Breakfast

I would call both as bad days.. an irregular pattern like this got me into trouble!

By the way DD , where does the Hamburger (red meat) count in your calorie/diet intake :)
;D
Actually having 1 splurge day in 10-15 days is not bad. I splurged on SB sunday and am going to splurge again on Valentine's day

Cover Point

• Cover Point
  • Team of the Century
  • Cover Point
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, 10:28:16 PM »

Most days

the bad days

cereal for Breakfast

I would call both as bad days.. an irregular pattern like this got me into trouble!

;D
Actually having 1 splurge day in 10-15 days is not bad. I splurged on SB sunday and am going to splurge again on Valentine's day

the bummer is (and I know you can appreciate this ) travel or those damn clients :)

When travelling all things go out the window ....

Same when we have lunch and dinner activities. Today for example, had a client over for lunch. Went out for Sushi and are meeting a development partner for dinner at Gibsons (steak house). Even if I order the fish, you gotta have a  beer or 2 with it :)

Thats what screws me up.

I think the good days are decent ... I can keep net calories (using myfitnesspal) to around 1000 .... but the bad days skew it back and net is same Ganguly's score (a big zero) :)

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2012, 12:04:02 AM »

the bummer is (and I know you can appreciate this ) travel or those damn clients :)

When travelling all things go out the window ....

Same when we have lunch and dinner activities. Today for example, had a client over for lunch. Went out for Sushi and are meeting a development partner for dinner at Gibsons (steak house). Even if I order the fish, you gotta have a  beer or 2 with it :)

Thats what screws me up.

I think the good days are decent ... I can keep net calories (using myfitnesspal) to around 1000 .... but the bad days skew it back and net is same Ganguly's score (a big zero) :)
Yep .. travel & clients makes this tough. That is what got me in the irregular pattern.

Over the last 3-4 months, I have been able to manage this despite travel.

Few tricks that have worked for me..
1. Always pick the same hotel(s) from a particular hotel chain so that you can establish and keep the pattern. I pick only Hilton hotels - I know that I can order the breakfast that I need to eat, I know what is available in the gym, I know what is available in the in-house restaurant.
2. For meals, I always order the (lightest) food that meets my need for that meal.  I have noticed that if you are the first to order, most companions appreciate that you are ordering healthy and most often follow through. For lunch, salad or light sandwich wrap or sashimi (instead of sushi) with a diet drink does the trick. For dinner, I order the lean cuts of steak or fish with no sauce and sauteed vegetable side dishes. I skip the bread and butter. I order a glass of red wine which I sip for a long time.. or even plain club soda with lime (which looks and feels like a cocktail).

Agree, it is tough .. but health is more important than anything else. I do not want to be popping gazillion pills a day just to live

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2012, 04:58:43 PM »

As several have pointed out taxing is not the answer. Corn producers are heavily subsidized to begin with and perhaps that might be worth addressing.

Cutting out sugar from your diet is a great idea - however beware of sugar withdrawal symptoms early on. Not something to worry about, it passes after about a week but you need to be prepared for it. Have had great benefits myself - I was suffering from chronic rhinitis and it became a minor issue after about 2 months. Lost about 30 pounds in 3 months.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 05:00:35 PM by pieterSAN »
"...that is me offering you an olive basket... ...and that is you spitting in my face."

Scott Caan as Turk Malloy

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2012, 05:11:49 PM »

As several have pointed out taxing is not the answer. Corn producers are heavily subsidized to begin with and perhaps that might be worth addressing.

Cutting out sugar from your diet is a great idea - however beware of sugar withdrawal symptoms early on. Not something to worry about, it passes after about a week but you need to be prepared for it. Have had great benefits myself - I was suffering from chronic rhinitis and it became a minor issue after about 2 months. Lost about 30 pounds in 3 months.

Good to hear from you after a long time.

Agree.. sugar (excessive) is the root cause of lot of ailments. My 12 year old's acne subsided when she stopped eating sugar (candies, chocolate etc). [When she went to the doctor, she prescribed a ton of antibiotics etc, which did not work for 6 months. Go figure!]

I think it all comes down to nutrition. It clicked for me when I watched this guy (http://www.drfuhrman.com/default.aspx) on PBS a few months ago..and what he said made a lot of sense. He kind of leans toward a vegan diet.. which I think is a bit extreme but if you take his concepts (basically eating high nutrition, non processed, low fat food) it is doable and it works. He has case studies of people following his diet and reversing diabetes. Incredible!!

achutank

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2012, 05:26:01 PM »

Losing

This is good help. Thanks man. I am going to go through what you have written here again and see what to change.

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2012, 05:32:30 PM »

Losing

This is good help. Thanks man. I am going to go through what you have written here again and see what to change.
No problem. All the best.

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2012, 09:30:12 PM »

Most days

the bad days

cereal for Breakfast

all meats are good :). my dad has been following a similar diet as me since september and working out religiously and his cholesterol, ldl, hdl etc has dropped / gone up 35% since then. as long as the meat is lean nothing is going to happen.

suggest you read this book by Robb Wolf called The Paleo Solution....lots of good recipes and stuff too at the back.
-- Mohandas K *hi

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2012, 03:11:01 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up