Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which newbies have the best chance at qualifying for Brazil 2014?  (Read 1052 times)

rahikumar

• Spectator

I know that this is a popular topic, but I don't see that anyone else has started a thread on it yet, so here goes...

To start with a key factor will be that CONCACAF and South America will not be playing each other in the intercontinental playoff this time around. CONCACAF gets Oceana (i.e. New Zealand), and CONMEBOL gets Asia (Bahrain the last two times), clear advantages for teams from the Western Hemisphere.

In order of descending probablity...

Venezuela (CONMEBOL) - South America has an extra spot this time around, and Venezuela only finished two points out of the playoff spot last time out.

Guatemala (CONCACAF) - Only have to get past Jamaica to make it to the Hex...very tough home stadium for visiting teams.

Panama (CONCACAF) - in CONCACAF's easiest 2nd round qualifying group (i.e. the one without the USA or Mexico), so stand an excellent chance of making it to the Hex, after which anything goes.

Bahrain (Asia) - lost in the intercontinental playoffs for both 2006 and 2010

Uzbekistan (Asia) - Have make significant strides within Asia, and after Japan, South Korea, and Australia, it's a free-for-all for the 4th spot and the playoff spot against New Zealand

Montengro (UEFA) - probably the best of the remaining European teams never to have made it

Bosnia (UEFA) - have been improving each time out, and benefit from a fairly easy qualifying group headed by Greece and Slovakia.

Burkina Faso (Africa) - have the best shot of all African newbies of making it to the playoff round by virtue of being seeded, but almost certainly will be an underdog against any playoff opponent other than Mali.

Mali (Africa) - probably the best shot among non-seeded African teams by virtue of being in Algeria's group, but will be an underdog against any playoff opponent other than Burkina Faso

Thoughts?

betting guide
how to smoke salvia

Blwe_torch

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • Last man standing
Re: Which newbies have the best chance at qualifying for Brazil 2014?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 11:42:45 AM »

Let's hope India pips Uzbekistan to the post........wishful thinking :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up