Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Have we found an answer to this question??  (Read 24386 times)

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
Re: Have we found an answer to this question??
« Reply #160 on: May 02, 2006, 06:34:32 AM »

Frankly i wish they were not in our Group!!!
Every other group the two teams that are gonna go into Super 8 is clear.

Upset is gonna be rare in other groups, I dont like Ban in our group this time! Get a fishy feeling!

Also, we play them 1st up :). That is precisely why we need SG  ;D

This I agree 100% - no one better than SG to make a mincemeat of them minnows!
On the other hand, I dont think Ban are minnows anymore!

Cover Point

• Team of the Century
« Reply #161 on: May 02, 2006, 04:39:30 PM »

Also, we play them 1st up :). That is precisely why we need SG  ;D

Nah we really need to keep him for bigger matches against last years semi finalists ... like Kenya

22 Yards

• 12th Man
« Reply #162 on: May 02, 2006, 05:26:24 PM »

Oh Coverpoint, I have to disagree with you on that, eventhough you just said it funnily ;)
You know Sachin played numerous extraordinary ODI innings.....no? But in my opinion, I always consider his 81 against Zimbabwe at Bulawayo as his best ever innings. I can appreciate that innings so much because I know how hard it is to keep up the promise you made to someone. Sameway, Sourav's innings against Kenya is one of his best innings. Without that innings and his partnership with Yuvraj, we know what would have happened. Its not the opposition, not the bowlers, in cricket, in my opinion you always have to fight, first, your own self and then the opposition. He played a gem of an innings there.

22 Yards

• 12th Man
« Reply #163 on: May 02, 2006, 07:14:15 PM »

I have been trying to say this to somebody for a long time, but couldn't. If you allow me to use this DG to let my heart out, Thank you.
Continuing from my above post, I would like to add this too:

If you, for a sec, imagine Indian Cricket as Hollywood, then Sourav Ganguly is the Marlon Brando. You know, when Marlon died, Jack Nicholson in his condolence speech said this : He gave freedom to us,actors. Its true, he gave freedom to act, freedom to express themselves, freedom to do something extraordinary. I always remember Sourav as the one who gave freedom to the future Indian captains. He gave them freedom to get what they want, freedom to fight with the selectors, freedom to allow the fringe players to prove themselves. Indian captains will do well if they remember that. We know how Sachin publicly expressed his anguish over not getting what he wanted, from the selectors. Oh well, Sourav did mistakes, who didn't? I was deeply hurt as a fan of Marlon when I learnt that he and Rod Steiger(Charlie) were not actually present during the famous cab scene in "On the Waterfront". Marlon used to leave the sets as soon as he finished his part and Rod used to act as if Marlon were present. Reams and reams of paper were used to describe the onscreen chemistry between those two gentlemen, for what? But that doesn't take away the glorious acting, powerful dialogues from that scene. John and Sourav might have had some differences, but together, they taught the players how it feels like, if you put the national flag on your heart, they taught what it feels like to achieve overseas success. You know whats the best part of The Godfather is, its not the movie, its the making of that movie. Al Pacino, Robert de Niro, Robert Duvall, all young and energetic actors, waiting for a break, they got Marlon. Paramount studio head vehemently opposed his selection, he argued it could ruin the careers of those young actors, he argued, Marlon's non-punctuality, rudeness, disrespect to fellow actors might rub onto them. But Francis fought for it. The young actors learnt all the good things from Marlon,leaving out his bad part. The things they learnt that time, eventually, would help them to become legendary actors. They learnt from his mistakes, from his bad manners. Always young kids say, so and so, is their role model. I tell them, when you choose a person to be your role model, first of all, you should be smart enough to learn from their mistakes, strong enough to scale their heights. Sourav might have done some bad things, he might have got what he deserved, but that doesn't take away the fact that Harbhajan,Yuvraj,Irfan,Virender etc. learnt a few things from him. They learnt what would happen to you if you take sides against your family. Virender now learnt after his bad patch, what it feels like to take sides, he must be regretting for what he said after the Bangalore test match. Sport is a great leveller. But what I want to say is, we as fan base, must always recognize our player's achievements, urge the future captains not to do same mistakes, but we cannot ridicule them. Behind every glory, there is a sacrifice. We must respect those sacrifices. We must pay our respects. A young cricketer can choose Sachin/Sourav/Mahender as a role model, but they got to know the sacrifices, they got to know the mistakes they did, they got to learn from them. It hurts me when people say a particular player's innings came against minnows, came against weak opposition etc.
Lets enjoy the moments they gave us. Lets learn from their mistakes.
Sorry for being a Grumpy!!  :) :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 07:23:37 PM by 22 Yards »

poondu

• Team of the Century
« Reply #164 on: May 02, 2006, 07:18:29 PM »

I have been trying to say this to somebody for a long time, but couldn't. If you allow me to use this DG to let my heart out, Thank you.

If you, for a sec, imagine Indian Cricket as Hollywood, then Sourav Ganguly is the Marlon Brando. You know, when Marlon died, Jack Nicholson in his condolence speech said this : He gave freedom to us,actors. Its true, he gave freedom to act, freedom to express themselves, freedom to do something extraordinary. I always remember Sourav as the one who gave freedom to the future Indian captains. He gave them freedom to get what they want, freedom to fight with the selectors, freedom to allow the fringe players to prove themselves. Indian captains will do well if they remember that. We know how Sachin publicly expressed his anguish over not getting what he wanted, from the selectors. Oh well, Sourav did mistakes, who didn't? I was deeply hurt as a fan of Marlon when I learnt that he and Rod Steiger(Charlie) were not actually present during the famous cab scene in "On the Waterfront". Marlon used to leave the sets as soon as he finished his part and Rod used to act as if Marlon were present. Reems and reems of paper were used to describe the onscreen chemistry between those two gentlemen, for what? But that doesn't take away the glorious acting, powerful dialogues from that scene. John and Sourav might have had some differences, but together, they taught the players how it feels like, if you put the national flag on your heart, they taught what it feels like to achieve overseas success. You know whats the best part of The Godfather is, its not the movie, its the making of that movie. Al Pacino, Robert de Niro, Robert Duvall, all young and energetic actors, waiting for a break, they got Marlon. Paramount studio vehemently opposed his selection, he argued it could ruin the careers of those young actors, he argued, Marlon's non-punctuality, rudeness, disrespect to fellow actors might rub onto them. But Francis fought for it. The young actors learnt all the good things from Marlon,leaving out his bad part. The things they learnt that time, eventually, would help them to become legendary actors. They learnt from his mistakes, from his bad manners. Always young kids say, so and so, is their role model. I tell them, when you choose a person to be your role model, first of all, you should be smart enough to learn from their mistakes, strong enough to scale their heights. Sourav might have done some bad things, he might have got what he deserved, but that doesn't take away the fact that Harbhajan,Yuvraj,Irfan,Virender etc. learnt a few things from him. They learnt what would happen to you if you take sides against your family. Virender now learnt after his bad patch, what it feels like to take sides, he must be regretting for what he said after the Bangalore test match. Sports is a great leveller. But what I want to say is, we as fan base, must always recognize our player's achievements, urge the future captains not to do same mistakes, but we cannot ridicule them. Behind every glory, there is a sacrifice. We must respect those sacrifices. We must pay our respects. A young cricketer can choose Sachin/Sourav/Mahender as a role model, but they got to know the sacrifices, they got to know the mistakes they did, they got to learn from them. It hurts me when people say a particular player's innings came against minnows, came against weak opposition etc.

Very well said 22. Applause

toney

• Team of the Century
« Reply #165 on: May 02, 2006, 07:25:32 PM »

22 yards,
If you are going to write such posts when being Grumpy, please continue to do so. Quite nice reading it.
When intelligence matures and lodges securely in the mind it becomes wisdom. When wisdom is integrated with life and becomes action it becomes Bhakti. Knowledge when it becomes fully mature is Bhakti. To believe that Jnana and Bhakti, knowledge & devotion, are different from each other is ignorance.

Cover Point

• Team of the Century
« Reply #166 on: May 02, 2006, 07:26:52 PM »

*Sigh*. 22yards you brought it up but my smite count is going to get closer to 1000 after this one :)

Never disagreed that Ganguly brought the "freedom" to the future Indian captains and was the first to free us up with his aggressiveness etc etc (search some old posts we have discussed Ganguly's great feats 1000's of time). But this God Father's time is over! Marlong Brando was God Father not for beating up the kids on the street but for taking on the world. Our Ganguly did that once. Now he has been living in past glory and not keeping up with the changes in the cricket world. So yes he can still beat up the kids (kenya) but that doesnt cut it anymore.

(as they said in Lord of the Rings) His time has come to pass. A new Dawn rises in the east and his name is Rahul Dravid. He works with *olf (Chappel) to take on Sauron (Ponting).

The analogy is already getting lame so ... will let it go.

poondu

• Team of the Century
« Reply #167 on: May 02, 2006, 07:30:01 PM »

*Sigh*. 22yards you brought it up but my smite count is going to get closer to 1000 after this one :)

Never disagreed that Ganguly brought the "freedom" to the future Indian captains and was the first to free us up with his aggressiveness etc etc (search some old posts we have discussed Ganguly's great feats 1000's of time). But this God Father's time is over! Marlong Brando was God Father not for beating up the kids on the street but for taking on the world. Our Ganguly did that once. Now he has been living in past glory and not keeping up with the changes in the cricket world. So yes he can still beat up the kids (kenya) but that doesnt cut it anymore.

(as they said in Lord of the Rings) His time has come to pass. A new Dawn rises in the east and his name is Rahul Dravid. He works with *olf (Chappel) to take on Sauron (Ponting).

CP,
Who is smeagol in ur analogy ?  ;D

22 Yards

• 12th Man
« Reply #168 on: May 02, 2006, 07:32:57 PM »

Coverpoint,
I completely agree with you there. But all I want to say is, pay respect for what they did. Eat the white and leave the yellow. The GodFathers can never be left. Good Fellas are the ones who learn from them.
I apologize if I dare to hurt anyone on this DG here, but as a DG with enormous potential to grow, I want to see this DG as a platform where people have balanced view of things.

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #169 on: May 02, 2006, 07:33:00 PM »

CP,
Who is smeagol in ur analogy ?  ;D

Smeagol leads the way to the future.
Hence it is KIRAN MORE. We shall only look forward.

flute202020

« Reply #170 on: May 02, 2006, 07:35:17 PM »

If you, for a sec, imagine Indian Cricket as Hollywood, then Sourav Ganguly is the Marlon Brando. You know, when Marlon died, Jack Nicholson in his condolence speech said this : He gave freedom to us,actors. Its true, he gave freedom to act, freedom to express themselves, freedom to do something extraordinary. I always remember Sourav as the one who gave freedom to the future Indian captains. He gave them freedom to get what they want, freedom to fight with the selectors, freedom to allow the fringe players to prove themselves. Indian captains will do well if they remember that. We know how Sachin publicly expressed his anguish over not getting what he wanted, from the selectors. Oh well, Sourav did mistakes, who didn't? I was deeply hurt as a fan of Marlon when I learnt that he and Rod Steiger(Charlie) were not actually present during the famous cab scene in "On the Waterfront". Marlon used to leave the sets as soon as he finished his part and Rod used to act as if Marlon were present. Reams and reams of paper were used to describe the onscreen chemistry between those two gentlemen, for what? But that doesn't take away the glorious acting, powerful dialogues from that scene. John and Sourav might have had some differences, but together, they taught the players how it feels like, if you put the national flag on your heart, they taught what it feels like to achieve overseas success. You know whats the best part of The Godfather is, its not the movie, its the making of that movie. Al Pacino, Robert de Niro, Robert Duvall, all young and energetic actors, waiting for a break, they got Marlon. Paramount studio head vehemently opposed his selection, he argued it could ruin the careers of those young actors, he argued, Marlon's non-punctuality, rudeness, disrespect to fellow actors might rub onto them. But Francis fought for it. The young actors learnt all the good things from Marlon,leaving out his bad part. The things they learnt that time, eventually, would help them to become legendary actors. They learnt from his mistakes, from his bad manners. Always young kids say, so and so, is their role model. I tell them, when you choose a person to be your role model, first of all, you should be smart enough to learn from their mistakes, strong enough to scale their heights. Sourav might have done some bad things, he might have got what he deserved, but that doesn't take away the fact that Harbhajan,Yuvraj,Irfan,Virender etc. learnt a few things from him. They learnt what would happen to you if you take sides against your family. Virender now learnt after his bad patch, what it feels like to take sides, he must be regretting for what he said after the Bangalore test match. Sport is a great leveller. But what I want to say is, we as fan base, must always recognize our player's achievements, urge the future captains not to do same mistakes, but we cannot ridicule them. Behind every glory, there is a sacrifice. We must respect those sacrifices. We must pay our respects. A young cricketer can choose Sachin/Sourav/Mahender as a role model, but they got to know the sacrifices, they got to know the mistakes they did, they got to learn from them. It hurts me when people say a particular player's innings came against minnows, came against weak opposition etc.
22, what did VS say after the banglore test?

22 Yards

• 12th Man
« Reply #171 on: May 02, 2006, 07:37:46 PM »

Flute,
Virender alone was the run-getter during the second innings there. He said something similar to this during the post match conference: "What can I do if other batsmen don't chip in". Not exactly those words, but after I heard that, I knew its going to come and haunt him in the future. I hope he learnt from this bad phase.

toney

• Team of the Century
« Reply #172 on: May 02, 2006, 07:38:59 PM »

If Veeru didnt learn from that, he would have learnt from his talk of getting a double 100 in ODIs last year. He had one of the poorest seasons after that.
When intelligence matures and lodges securely in the mind it becomes wisdom. When wisdom is integrated with life and becomes action it becomes Bhakti. Knowledge when it becomes fully mature is Bhakti. To believe that Jnana and Bhakti, knowledge & devotion, are different from each other is ignorance.

Cover Point

• Team of the Century
« Reply #173 on: May 02, 2006, 07:49:38 PM »

22yards. No hurting here. And please my friend ... I would say If you dont hurt anyone's feelings on this DG then you are not being fair and balanced.

There are a lot of Ganguly Worshipers on this DG. There is a much smaller minority of posters (yours truly included) who actually try to bring the opposing POV. Generally u can tell the Ganguly Worshipers by there hugely lopsided Applause to Smite count. :)

Fineleg good Smeagle analogy.

By 22yards big mouth analosgy .. Sehwag has to be Gimly (or the dwarf)

So we have

Chappel = *olf
Dravid = Aragon New King .
Sauran = Ponting
Sarumaan = Dalmiya (evil Godfather)
Dhoni = Legolas ..Bow and Arrow guy (Long hair)
Sehwag = Gimly
Raj Singh Dungarpur = Bilbo Baggins ..... from the Part 3 when he is old and senile

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #174 on: May 02, 2006, 07:55:40 PM »

Chappel = *olf
Sauran = Ponting
Sehwag = Gimly
Raj Singh Dungarpur = Bilbo Baggins ..... from the Part 3 when he is old and senile

LOL :)
Any more characters in Lord of Rings u guys can add? This is fun.

poondu

• Team of the Century
« Reply #175 on: May 02, 2006, 07:58:06 PM »

Frodo - Sachin
Fat guy with Frodo - Kambli ???

Cover Point

• Team of the Century
« Reply #176 on: May 02, 2006, 08:02:00 PM »

Frodo - Sachin

Funny .. except I dont see Kambli carrying Sachin for the final steps.

poondu

• Team of the Century
« Reply #177 on: May 02, 2006, 08:02:59 PM »

Frodo - Sachin

No, i was looking at it from a gay angle.

toney

• Team of the Century
« Reply #178 on: May 02, 2006, 08:09:27 PM »

Frodo - Sachin

That would be from behind?

Cover Point

• Team of the Century
« Reply #179 on: May 02, 2006, 08:11:43 PM »

Frodo - Sachin

That made me laugh. Hilarious!

poondu

• Team of the Century
« Reply #180 on: May 02, 2006, 08:12:26 PM »

Frodo - Sachin

Do gays do it from behind ??

toney

• Team of the Century
« Reply #181 on: May 02, 2006, 08:17:24 PM »

Poondu, I would think so. Who do we ask though? We need an expert opinion. But dont stretch (no pun intended) it; Dex will move this to Etc section.

poondu

• Team of the Century
« Reply #182 on: May 02, 2006, 08:29:52 PM »

Poondu, I would think so. Who do we ask though? We need an expert opinion. But dont stretch (no pun intended) it; Dex will move this to Etc section.

:D  :D

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #183 on: May 02, 2006, 08:41:20 PM »

Is Etc. like the dark-cell  ;D You shall be banned to Etc!

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #184 on: May 02, 2006, 08:46:39 PM »

Are guys coming down any time soon? Must be some good sh*t there....
"...that is me offering you an olive basket... ...and that is you spitting in my face."

Scott Caan as Turk Malloy

Cover Point

• Team of the Century
« Reply #185 on: May 02, 2006, 09:22:40 PM »

Are guys coming down any time soon? Must be some good sh*t there....

You mention Kambli and inevitably some Good * follows :)

Sahir

• Team of the Century
  • Vintage fruit can never rot!
« Reply #186 on: May 02, 2006, 10:08:51 PM »

Frodo - Sachin

Do gays do it from behind ??

Well...sometimes heteros do it from behind too... :o :P :P

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #187 on: May 03, 2006, 01:02:39 AM »

Sehwag did NOT say that he was the only one scoring - after the Bangalore Test. What he said was that he knew the only way India had a chance of WINNING (chasing 400 odd) was for him to be in and keeping the scoring rate up.
In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in a clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness. Our life is a long and arduous quest after Truth.
-- Mohandas K *hi

22 Yards

• 12th Man
« Reply #188 on: May 03, 2006, 01:40:02 AM »

Deepak,
Excuse me if my memory failed me(may be wrong location), but I remember that post match conference only for that sentence, at that time, made me think, why didnt he opt for another answer, like, bowlers bowled well or something like that. Any player for that matter, never should imply an "I" behavior.
But you might be right.
Anyway, some how this one was hijacked by Lord of the Ring :) :) Hope some of you have got my point: Minnows or no minnows, we shouldn't disrespect Sourav's century there.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 01:51:20 AM by 22 Yards »

gouravk

• Team of the Century
  • Which way will this ball swing ?
« Reply #189 on: May 03, 2006, 02:23:06 AM »

Hehe ... sometimes I enjoy Sehwag's attitude.
...Tvameva Vidya Dravidam Tvameva ... Tvameva Sarvam Mama Deva Deva !!

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
  • Thanda Thanda Kool Kool
« Reply #190 on: May 03, 2006, 04:19:27 AM »

22yards. No hurting here. And please my friend ... I would say If you dont hurt anyone's feelings on this DG then you are not being fair and balanced.

There are a lot of Ganguly Worshipers on this DG. There is a much smaller minority of posters (yours truly included) who actually try to bring the opposing POV. Generally u can tell the Ganguly Worshipers by there hugely lopsided Applause to Smite count. :)

Fineleg good Smeagle analogy.

By 22yards big mouth analosgy .. Sehwag has to be Gimly (or the dwarf)

So we have

Chappel = *olf
Sauran = Ponting
Sehwag = Gimly

Or maybe SG can be smeagol .. he has lost his "precious" and wants it all back ...
Sachin Tendulkar gave the muhurat clap for 'Awwal Number' - that apart, he hasn't done much wrong in the last 20 yrs!

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
  • Thanda Thanda Kool Kool
« Reply #191 on: May 03, 2006, 04:22:18 AM »

Here is indignant meaning from Merriam Webster dictionary. I gave you a really long rope and you keep attacking me. Time will not and did not freeze with VVS or Gundappa, things changed a lot in cricket and to win ODIs, artistry and lazy drives is not going to help. Get this into your head and you might get out of your irritable mood. BTW, before attacking people, check the meaning of words and you will know who is being an idiot.

Main Entry: inĚdigĚnaĚtion
Pronunciation: "in-dig-'nA-sh&n
Function: noun
: anger aroused by something unjust, unworthy, or mean
synonym see ANGER

This is my last attempt at making you get into sensible debate. Any more personal attacks and you will get a fitting reply from me.

I wish things were as good, as you say!
Winning the WC too may happen, but I still can't help feeling that this is only an Indian -B team, playing other B-teams, with the exception of England.
That was there C-team!
I just cannot accept Uthappa, Rao, Dhawan, etc in place of SG/SRT and VVS too. They don't belong to the same class despite their recent good performances. Besides, RD was never a good ODI player and is still just abt acceptable.
The above is just my personal sentiments.
When you learn to respect other people's feelings, others will start respecting yours.
Its a 2-way deal!

In which case probably the Indian team before this bunch came together was the India-C team?? (in terms of ODI results at least)
Sachin Tendulkar gave the muhurat clap for 'Awwal Number' - that apart, he hasn't done much wrong in the last 20 yrs!

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #192 on: June 03, 2006, 05:45:15 AM »

Bump.

There were quite a few WC-07 predictions in this thread by 22-yards.
Was just revisiting some.

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #193 on: June 03, 2006, 06:04:12 AM »

I still remember many folks saying that Symonds, Clarke and Hussey can be equated to Yuvi, Dhoni and Raina  :) :)

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #194 on: June 03, 2006, 06:08:13 AM »

I still remember many folks saying that Symonds, Clarke and Hussey can be equated to Yuvi, Dhoni and Raina  :) :)

Yes, and I still maintain NO WAY in the world, Y, D, R are equal to S, C, H by WC-07 time.

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #195 on: January 26, 2007, 01:55:22 PM »

Perhaps a good time to revisit  :D :D :D

Raina = Puppy  ;)

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #196 on: February 07, 2007, 05:16:30 AM »

Perhaps a good time to revisit  :D :D :D

Raina = Puppy  ;)

Raina != Pup like we both have said many times over in above thread, but Raina is a puppy ;D ;D ;D

As said above -
Yes, and I still maintain NO WAY in the world, Y, D, R are equal to S, C, H by WC-07 time.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 05:18:01 AM by fineleg »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up