Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The future of women's tennis is bleak, says Sania Mirza  (Read 1679 times)

Blwe_torch

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • Last man standing
The future of women's tennis is bleak, says Sania Mirza
« on: October 12, 2010, 06:38:32 AM »

The future of women's tennis is bleak, says Sania Mirza
OUR CORRESPONDENT

New Delhi: Commonwealth Games silver medallist Sania Mirza agrees that the future of women’s tennis is very bleak in India.

“Poojashree (Venkatesh) is a young prospect now. It’s an open secret that Nirupama Sanjeev had to come out of retirement to play for India at the CWG,” said Sania at a media conference on Monday, a day after partnering Rushmi Chakravarthy to win the bronze in an all-Indian playoff tie. For the record, Sania and Rushmi won 6-4, 6-2 defeating Nirupama and Poojashree.

“In 2005, I came out of the blue and it caught many people by surprise. But, Leander (Paes), Mahesh (Bhupathi), and I can’t continue to play forever. After the infrastructure and facilities the CWG has provided us with, I hope young girls take to the sport.

“At the moment, Indian men’s tennis is looking much brighter than the women’s.”

Tennis had five gold medals in the offing and it was expected that India would win at least two in doubles, as opposed to singles. “Tennis is not a sport where one can make assumptions. One can never definitely say that ‘we’ll win’.

“Sure, Leander and Mahesh were the favourites to win the men’s doubles. Since Leander and I had won the mixed gold in the Doha Asian Games, we were expected to repeat the performance.

“But, let’s celebrate what we achieved and not cry over what we couldn’t,” said Sania sportingly. India won one gold, one silver and two bronze medals.

However, she did add that the moths and insects that had infested the courts during the floodlight matches were distracting.

“I’ve never seen anything like it in Delhi. There were so many different kinds of moths and insects. Of course it’s very distracting, especially when they get in your mouth and nose. But, I tried to block it out while playing,” she said.

“I’m looking forward to the Asian Games. My body and wrists are injury-free (touchwoods). If one is injury-free, then everything falls into place.

“Here, there were complaints about the scheduling but that’s no excuse. As professionals, we have to play tough matches every week,” claimed the world No. 137.

She congratulated her favourite cricketer Sachin Tendulkar on scoring his 49th Test century in the on-going Test at Bangalore against Australia, and also wished Gagan Narang, who is aiming for his sixth CWG gold, the best.

Tennis has been scrapped from the Glasgow Games in 2014.

“Personally, I’m glad that I won a medal in front of my home crowd. Our game always goes up a notch higher when we represent India,” said the 23-year-old.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1101012/jsp/sports/story_13047832.jsp

feverpitch

• Team of the Century
  • Capitalism's final crisis (cartoon from 1969)
Re: The future of women's tennis is bleak, says Sania Mirza
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 08:01:14 AM »

It shows... from her performances...
"Every rise of fascism bears witness to a failed revolution."
Walter Benjamin

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 10:42:49 AM »

i see she's already relegated herself to the past of indian tennis.
anyway she's married herself off to a tribe of dopers, chokers, fixers and cheats. it can only help indian tennis.

shame to see her comparing herself to 'hesh and paes!

“In 2005, I came out of the blue and it caught many people by surprise. But, Leander (Paes), Mahesh (Bhupathi), and I can’t continue to play forever. After the infrastructure and facilities the CWG has provided us with, I hope young girls take to the sport."
In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in a clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness. Our life is a long and arduous quest after Truth.
-- Mohandas K *hi

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 12:15:04 AM »

On another note Paes, Mahesh, Rohan are all skipping Asian Games for doubles end Master's. Rohan...I can understand...but these two don't need the money or the title anymore. About time they went and won something for the country on the global stage. For God's sake, they can't even win a CWG gold medal!

Mahesh also looks quite unfit these days. Perhaps Paes should team up with Rohan or Somdev.

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 03:42:24 AM »

On another note Paes, Mahesh, Rohan are all skipping Asian Games for doubles end Master's. Rohan...I can understand...but these two don't need the money or the title anymore. About time they went and won something for the country on the global stage. For God's sake, they can't even win a CWG gold medal!

Mahesh also looks quite unfit these days. Perhaps Paes should team up with Rohan or Somdev.

id have thought a cardio session or three in the bedroom with lara dutta would keep one fairly fit
In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in a clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness. Our life is a long and arduous quest after Truth.
-- Mohandas K *hi

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 11:20:25 AM »

id have thought a cardio session or three in the bedroom with lara dutta would keep one fairly fit

He must be over-training.
"...that is me offering you an olive basket... ...and that is you spitting in my face."

Scott Caan as Turk Malloy
Pages: [1]   Go Up