Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MNIK..  (Read 1555 times)

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
MNIK..
« on: February 19, 2010, 08:13:22 PM »

see or rent or skip?
Play with heart. Win with class. Lose with dignity

Cover Point

• Cover Point
  • Team of the Century
  • Cover Point
Re: MNIK..
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 08:38:54 PM »

Busting Gangulian chops since eternity.

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 08:41:03 PM »

skip. i skip all srk movies

flute

• Team of the Century
  • Mother India
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »

I saw half of it online..SRK acted like a constipated fellow working on a particularly hard lump...based on what I saw, I will never watch this in a theatre and will never pay to watch this..will watch it once for kajol if available online for FREE or a borrowed DVD.

on the contrary I would pay to watch Ishqiya.

disclaimer: generally I am sick of karan johar's girlish, sugary chic flicks..and SRK's broken record repeat performances.
Where the mind is without fear and the head held high;
Where words come out from the depth of truth;
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way into the dreary desert sand of dead habit;
let my country awake.

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 08:47:15 PM »

Dex/flute: In general, agree with your comments re: SRK.. but I am hearing "this time it is different", "he has reached Swades+ level (which I liked) of acting" etc etc. Guess, will skip it. Let me see if I can find Ishqiya DVD.

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 08:53:01 PM »

Dex/flute: In general, agree with your comments re: SRK.. but I am hearing "this time it is different", "he has reached Swades+ level (which I liked) of acting" etc etc. Guess, will skip it. Let me see if I can find Ishqiya DVD.
yes, that one is supposed to be good. i'm going to look for it this weekend as well.

CLR James

• Team of the Century
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 09:09:21 PM »

There was an immortal line from a die hard SRK fan that I came across recently, in one of the movie sites. He wanted to say that only SRK could play this character; nobody else could. However he ended up saying something like: "In this movie Shahrukh has revealed a retarded character that nobody else -- not Aamir/Amitabh/Ritwik/Abhishek or even Dilip Kumar-- could ever manage."

I have not laughed so much in a while.

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 09:11:46 PM »

Good one, CLR. Now, let me hand you over to Sarah Palin for using the 'r' word and SRK over for being one.

cricinfo

• Team of the Century
  • Laxative Looses wicket
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 09:28:53 PM »

it is not worth going to theater for this one, first half is still okay

after intermission - you can call it "Karan Johar Gone Wild"
Laxman The Laxative Of Indian Cricket

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 09:30:29 PM »

There was an immortal line from a die hard SRK fan that I came across recently, in one of the movie sites. He wanted to say that only SRK could play this character; nobody else could. However he ended up saying something like: "In this movie Shahrukh has revealed a retarded character that nobody else -- not Aamir/Amitabh/Ritwik/Abhishek or even Dilip Kumar-- could ever manage."

I have not laughed so much in a while.
;D

On a serious note, I think,  Sean Penn - I am Sam - set the benchmark for "mentally challenged" role.

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 09:32:08 PM »

ROFL!!

Scary if  the "gone wild" activities are similar to the ones advertized on late-night TV ;D

flute

• Team of the Century
  • Mother India
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 09:47:12 PM »

are you still in DVD world? its all online now....some good DVD prints, some ok prints..but what is on DVD will definitely be there  online..

buy ps3 and watch using www.bharatmovies.com & netflix..never go to a store ever for a DVD
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way into the dreary desert sand of dead habit;
let my country awake.

Blwe_torch

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • Last man standing
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 06:12:56 AM »

I shall have to see it..........unfortunately anyway..........thanks to my wife ( if and when the movie releases in Pune). I hope, it takes longer, and I am spared the trouble ( or atleast kept in abeyance).

It seems, this movies is so 'special', that it deserves watching in a theatre or multiplex.............I am not so sure though.
But one recent SRK movie, I keep seeing at home is the 'Rab ne bana di jodi'.........which is not bad, I must confess.

vincent

• Team of the Century
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 08:04:37 AM »

Well, at the Berlin Film Festival the MNIK team including SRK were claiming that the film is as good as Slumdog Millionaire ( ???). For the US release they will cut the length but not songs apparently.

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 08:07:09 AM »

Well, at the Berlin Film Festival the MNIK team including SRK were claiming that the film is as good as Slumdog Millionaire ( ???). For the US release they will cut the length but not songs apparently.
and i though that one was quite bad

12th_Man

• Team of the Century
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 01:59:03 PM »

Not worth wasting your 2.5 hrs. Johar should have stuck to his expertise of romantic movies.
Wasting money on theatre would be criminal. Hulu has it a decent quality print. May have to spend 15 minutes to download though.
A headache movie with unwanted  repetition of same message. Kajol's act was only the Positive in movie.

flute

• Team of the Century
  • Mother India
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 02:25:53 PM »

Not worth wasting your 2.5 hrs.  Johar should have stuck to his expertise of romantic movies.
Wasting money on theatre would be criminal. Hulu has it a decent quality print. May have to spend 15 minutes to download though.
A headache movie with unwanted  repetition of same message. Kajol's act was only the Positive in movie.
:violent1:  ;D
let my country awake.

12th_Man

• Team of the Century
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 03:03:37 PM »

Brilliantly put  :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:  I had the same feel.

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
  • Thanda Thanda Kool Kool
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 05:00:36 AM »

Finally got around to seeing it. Overall, an irritating movie that had its moments.

As long as the movie stuck to Rizwan’s personal life, his relationships with his wife, son, brother, sister in law, mother and the quirks in his personality on account of Aspergers, it was a breeze & brought a smile to my face.

But whenever it shifted to his journey to meet the president, his issues with security & law enforcement, the Georgia angle and the other general scenes showing the 9/11 aftermath, it came across as too forced & over the top. And the last 30-45 min were positively hilarious. I mean what crap was that!

However, SRK is very good. He lives the character and owns the movie. Barring the odd fleeting moment or two, he is Rizwan right throughout. His reaction when Kajol asks him to marry her was priceless. Easily his best performance after Swades and Chak De.

Unlike most others, I did not like Kajol – found her loud, over the top & with her screeching, she may have got some horror film directors interested.
Sachin Tendulkar gave the muhurat clap for 'Awwal Number' - that apart, he hasn't done much wrong in the last 20 yrs!

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 07:46:55 AM »

I skipped - KJo movie is a big NO NO !!!!

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 07:53:48 AM »

someone will have to pay me to watch a KJo and SRK movie...seeing SRK during cricket is terrible enough

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 08:05:26 AM »

Actually, if he had only been able to calibrate the last 45 minutes a bit better, this would have been a very good movie. I guess he just couldn't keep "Khan" anything other than larger than life.
Sachin Tendulkar gave the muhurat clap for 'Awwal Number' - that apart, he hasn't done much wrong in the last 20 yrs!

teamindia

• Team of the Century
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2010, 11:32:53 PM »

SRK repeating each and every sentence was so irritating.

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 09:19:23 AM »

SRK repeating each and every sentence was so irritating.

i presume that is an AS trait ...

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 09:23:13 AM »

Btw the controversy seems to have definitely helped. This one crashed immediately post the opening weekend and with a second weekend occupancy of c5-30% across theatres, I shudder to think what would have happened had it got a normal release without all the "see it to stand up for free speech" watchers.

As it is, this will just about barely recover costs (or be marginally negative) for Fox - net collections (worldwide) are predicted to close around Rs80-85cr against the Rs100cr that the film was sold for!

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2010, 09:27:51 AM »

My Name Is Khan- 150 crore, 3 Idiots- 385 crore: Verdict is out.

http://www.entertainmentandshowbiz.com/my-name-is-khan-150-crore-3-idiots-385-crore-verdict-is-out-2010022437959

It seems like a soccer match in its ‘injury-time’, when the opposition is leading by more than 5-6 goals. Yes, this example applies with My Name Is Khan & 3 Idiots war. Shah Rukh’s MNIK’s tryst with controversy, and the subsequent bumper first week, wasn’t enough to earn it even the half of the money earned by the Aamir’s Idiots.

It has been 2 weeks since the release of MNIK, and with the slow weekdays, MNIK has been able to pile up Rs 150 crore, while 3 Idiots, after 2 months of its release, has Rs 385 crore in their account. The trade pundits have predicted that MNIK’s run will last till 160-175 crore.

If we go by week to week comparison then we can see that in its 1st 10 days MNIK earned around Rs. 150 crore, where as 3 Idiots have been able to earn around Rs 240 crore in the same period.

As per the data released by boxofficeindia.com, MNIK has collected around 45 crore in the first week in domestic market, is expected to earn around 16-17 crore in the subsequent weeks, which mounted its total domestic earning to 60-62 crore. Whereas Raju Hirani-Vinod Chopra’s venture grossed a total of Rs 79 crore, and Rs 55 crore in the second week.

“In all, My Name is Khan’s lifetime collections in the Indian market
may total around Rs 70 crore. If they are lucky, they can hitch it up
to Rs 75 crore, the figure that every Bollywood superhit aspires for,”
said trade analyst Komal Nahata.

The other single screens in Mumbai are saying that it’s the last week for MNIK. “It will be curtains for My Name is Khan in single-screen
theatres,” said a PVR executive.

The new releases are the proving to be the final nail in MNIK’s coffin, especially Karthik Calling Karthik, and Teen Patti. “Karthik… will be released on the same day as the Amitabh Bachchan-Ben
Kingsley thriller Teen Patti. Both are expected to generate big
footfalls at the plexes. My Name is Khan Collections are trickling and
theatre occupancy is as low as 25 per cent, so we will move it to free
prime slots for Karthik…” said Vishal Kapoor, chief operating officer
of Cinemax, Mumbai.

Well, the only good news for MNIK is, it has to satisfy itself with the 6th position among Bollywood’s all time biggest grosser.

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2010, 11:09:06 AM »

Btw the controversy seems to have definitely helped. This one crashed immediately post the opening weekend and with a second weekend occupancy of c5-30% across theatres, I shudder to think what would have happened had it got a normal release without all the "see it to stand up for free speech" watchers.

As it is, this will just about barely recover costs (or be marginally negative) for Fox - net collections (worldwide) are predicted to close around Rs80-85cr against the Rs100cr that the film was sold for!

well planned by SRK....
Pages: [1]   Go Up