Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aligarh Muslim University professor suspended for being gay  (Read 1828 times)

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
Aligarh Muslim University professor suspended for being gay
« on: February 17, 2010, 09:24:30 PM »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Aligarh-Muslim-University-professor-suspended-for-being-gay/articleshow/5585787.cms

LUCKNOW: An Aligarh Muslim University professor, on the verge of retirement, was suspended after some students set up cameras to catch him having consensual sex with a rickshaw-puller in his campus home, and sent the video film to university authorities. Dr Shrinivas Ramchandra Siras, reader and chairman of Modern Indian Languages at AMU, now says he won't challenge his suspension and would voluntarily leave.

Siras's decision not to question his suspension has come as a relief to AMU authorities, who are more than keen to bury the ``embarrassing episode'' as it could raise a serious issue of gay rights on the campus since the professor wasn't accused of any wrongdoing or criminal action. Consensual sex with a same-sex partner isn't a crime in itself.

``Siras was captured on camera having sex with a rickshaw-puller. It's a scandal that no institution of repute can overlook. Therefore he was placed under suspension on February 9 by the order of the VC, Prof P K Abdul Azis,'' said AMU public relations officer Rahat Abrar.

``Dr Siras lived in a house allotted to him in the medical colony on the AMU campus. On February 8, he was home in the company of a young rickshaw-puller from Jamalpur area of the town. Since the door was open, two reporters from a local TV channel barged into the house and filmed him and his companion. The video clippings were then sent to AMU authorities who were constrained to proceed against Siras,'' said Abrar.

Siras was served a memo on February 9 by the office of the AMU registrar, Dr V K Abdul Jalil, under rule 403-C of the statute of the university, after a prima facie case of ``gross misconduct'' was made out against him. Other disciplinary proceedings would follow only after framing of charges.

Amid swirling tales of his ``sordid'' sexual preferences, Siras was quietly packing his bags. Talking to TOI over phone, he refused to contest the charges before any enquiry committee. ``Let them say what they want to. I am not going to offer any clarification,'' he said. ``You don't have to abuse back if someone abuses you. I am already on the verge of retirement and, therefore, would rather be gone than to stretch the issue,'' he said. This, the university authorities feel, ``is the only respectable and sensible option under the unfortunate circumstances.''

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
Re: Aligarh Muslim University professor suspended for being gay
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 09:24:56 PM »

So, did he get suspended for being gay or for having sex with a rickshaw puller?!

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 02:30:55 PM »

The issue seems to be associating with a rickshaw puller. Students hiding cameras in the professor's bedroom - I guess they are the heroes in the story?
I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. - (thanks, Hugh Gallagher)

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 05:16:03 PM »

Clearly, they're unfamiliar with some of the bikini wearing girls that drive rickshaw in America...I suppose flirting with them is a crime against social class as well!

flute

• Team of the Century
  • Mother India
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 05:24:46 PM »

why only professor, rickshaw puller too should be punished..all rikshaw pullers too should come together and ban that guy from ever pulling a rikshaw ever again.  ;D

or do we assume that rickshaw pullers in India are more broad minded and liberal in modern day India compared to aligarh univ?
Where the mind is without fear and the head held high;
Where words come out from the depth of truth;
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way into the dreary desert sand of dead habit;
let my country awake.

Flamingo

• First Class Player
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 08:56:47 PM »

Links to video?  anyone?

ruchir

• Team of the Century
  • WC03 Final - Ganguly is in pain after a fall
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 10:29:39 PM »

Links to video?  anyone?

;D ;D ;D ;D Spoken like a true ***

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 09:22:19 PM »

or do we assume that rickshaw pullers in India are more broad minded and liberal in modern day India compared to aligarh univ?

good observation and probably true

Flamingo

• First Class Player
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 10:22:10 PM »

Links to video?  anyone?

yes.

My mum actually went to AMU. should i be worried?   ???

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 12:02:09 AM »

Links to video?  anyone?

yes.

My mum actually went to AMU. should i be worried?   ???
of videos that may exist?

CLR James

• Team of the Century
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 10:43:02 PM »

What about the prosecution of the students and journalists (whoever filmed) who did the only criminal thing in this episode? Is the AMU greater than the Supreme Court of India?

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 05:48:22 AM »

disgusting. the poor old man seems beaten down and defeated. he didnt do anything - those a-holes broke into his house.
In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in a clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness. Our life is a long and arduous quest after Truth.
-- Mohandas K *hi

Shukla

• World XI Star
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 08:08:38 PM »

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Death-of-AMU-gay-professor-wrapped-in-mystery/H1-Article1-528784.aspx

Death of AMU gay professor wrapped in mystery

The death of Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) professor S R Siras, suspended for allegedly having gay sex and later reinstated, is still a mystery with police on Thursday saying it could be a case of suicide or heart attack.
"Primarily it looks like a case of suicide or may be heart attack or something like that. It doesn't seem to be a case of murder," City Superintendent of Police Maan S Chauhan told reporters.
He said no suicide note has been recovered, "but we have not yet thoroughly checked the room, which was bolted from inside and we broke open one of its two doors to enter it."
Meanwhile, Aligarh Muslim University Teacher's Association (AMUTA) demanded a high-level probe into the incident.
"In view of the sensitive nature of the entire episode, an inquiry should be conducted either by CBI or a judicial officer," AMUTA Secretary Jamshed Siddique said.
Siras, a Marathi teacher, was suspended by AMU Vice Chancellor P K Abdul Aziz on charges of homosexuality after a sting operation by a television channel showed him having sex with a rickshaw puller.
Last week, the Allahabad High Court revoked the suspension and ordered his reinstatement after he filed an appeal against the university's action.
"We are waiting for the post-mortem report to ascertain whether it was a case of suicide or natural death. But one thing is clear, he was subjected to severe harassment by the university authorities and was under intense mental pressure," Siddique told PTI.
"To suspend a professor without inquiry is unjustified and is another example of the high-handed behaviour of the vice chancellor," he alleged.
However, AMU spokesperson Rahat Abrar denied the allegation of harassment.
"The university had fully complied with the high court order pertaining to his suspension," Abrar said, adding Siras could not be handed over his reinstatement order as he was out of town.
While Abrar said the withdrawal of suspension order was issued on April 5, Chairman of the Modern Indian Languages Prof Sheikh Mastan said he had no such information till Thursday morning.
When Mastan was given a copy of the letter by the registrar shortly before Thursday noon, he refused to accept it in back date.
AMUTA said the serving of the order was a "drama" to cover up the "lapses" by the university authorities.

Comments:
He was murdered, period! The evidence is very clear. If you read other sources, the books in his room were scattered all over the floor indicating a struggle before he was killed. Also, there was blood all over his pillow. If he had committed "suicide" why would there be blood? A heart attack causes blood to come out? What do the police think of readers? Fools?

Pages: [1]   Go Up