Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Force India releases Fisichella to join Ferrari  (Read 1259 times)

Blwe_torch

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • Last man standing
Force India releases Fisichella to join Ferrari
« on: September 03, 2009, 02:32:00 PM »

Force India releases Fisichella to join Ferrari
AFP 3 September 2009, 07:30pm IST

PARIS: Giancarlo Fisichella has been given the green light by Force India to race for Ferrari for the remainder of the season, with immediate effect.
"Following extensive discussions over the past 24 hours, the Force India Formula One Team has agreed to release Giancarlo Fisichella from his contract to join the Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro team for the remainder of the 2009 season, starting with immediate effect," Force India said in a statement.

Force India team boss Vijay Mallya said that he would not have stood in the way of the Italian taking a race seat with Ferrari.

"Giancarlo and his management team approached me yesterday with the proposal from Ferrari," Mallya said.

"For any Italian driver, a Ferrari race seat is a long-held dream and for Giancarlo it was no exception. No one should stand in the way of this.

"Furthermore the agreement will secure Giancarlo's long-term future with Ferrari and it would be incorrect to jeopardise this, particularly when Giancarlo has made such a vital contribution to Force India."

Amazingly, Mallya said that there had been no financial settlement with Ferrari over the switch of Fisichella, who caused a minor sensation when running Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen close in Sunday's Belgian Grand Prix for Force India's first ever championship points.

"This agreement has been made in good faith and for the good of Giancarlo and the sport in general," Mallya insisted.

"A competitive Italian driver in a Ferrari for Monza is a positive story for Formula One, which can only help raise the sport's profile in these difficult times."

Fisichella would now be expected to make his Ferrari debut at the next Formula One Grand Prix at the Italian circuit of Monza on September 13.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/racing/top-stories/Force-India-releases-Fisichella-to-join-Ferrari/articleshow/4968689.cms

Blwe_torch

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • Last man standing
Re: Force India releases Fisichella to join Ferrari
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 02:46:42 PM »

Fisichella to move to Ferrari for rest of 2009

Giancarlo Fisichella will race for Ferrari at the remaining five rounds of 2009 after Force India agreed to release him from his contract on Thursday. Fisichella will replace Ferrari test driver Luca Badoer as stand-in for the injured Felipe Massa, starting at next weekend’s Italian Grand Prix.

Force India have yet to confirm who will take over from Fisichella alongside Adrian Sutil in the team’s number 21 car, though third driver Vitantonio Liuzzi is already being tipped to succeed his fellow Italian.

“We have chosen Fisichella because we can expect him to make a valuable contribution in this final part of the season,” said Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali. “Giancarlo has shown throughout his long career that he is fast and competitive and we are therefore proud to be able to run an Italian driver in our home race.”

Fisichella, who scored Force India’s first-ever pole position, points and podium at last weekend’s Belgian Grand Prix after finishing a close second to Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen, commented: “I am very grateful to (Force India boss) Vijay Mallya for allowing me this opportunity to drive for the Scuderia Ferrari team.

“It is true that it has always been an ambition to do this, and for Vijay to have allowed it to become a reality is very generous. I hope in my turn I have helped Force India grow up and be on the right path to achieve their own ambitions. They are now a very competitive team and I wish them all the very best.”

Mallya said he had made the decision to release Fisichella for the good of his driver and of Formula One racing, and not in exchange for any financial settlement. He also hinted that the 36-year-old’s Ferrari deal extends beyond 2009, suggesting a possible testing role for the Roman next season.

“For any Italian driver, a Ferrari race seat is a long-held dream and for Giancarlo it was no exception,” said Mallya. “No one should stand in the way of this. Furthermore the agreement will secure Giancarlo's long-term future with Ferrari and it would be incorrect to jeopardise this. A competitive Italian driver in a Ferrari for Monza is a positive story for Formula One, which can only help raise the sport's profile in these difficult times.”

Mallya went on to thank Fisichella for his contribution to the team over the past one and a half seasons, but insisted his departure would not have a major impact on Force India’s impressive recent form.

“He has been an integral part of the team and we owe him a great deal for his input behind the scenes and performance out on track - we wish him all the best for the future. This sport is a team effort and removing one part, even a major one, will not significantly affect our performance. The competitiveness of the team seen in Belgium was a result of hard work in the factory and wind tunnel and we have further developments coming for the final races, so we are confident this momentum can be sustained.”
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/9/9866.html

teamindia

• Team of the Century
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 11:09:27 PM »

Ferrari must have shelled out big money to buy him. Who will drive for FI now?

Blwe_torch

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • Last man standing
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 04:08:22 AM »

Ferrari must have shelled out big money to buy him. Who will drive for FI now?

Plz note this...

"
Amazingly, Mallya said that there had been no financial settlement with Ferrari over the switch of Fisichella, who caused a minor sensation when running Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen close in Sunday's Belgian Grand Prix for Force India's first ever championship points.

"This agreement has been made in good faith and for the good of Giancarlo and the sport in general," Mallya insisted.

It may not be money, but some other kind of future commitment, may be.

Blwe_torch

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • Last man standing
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 10:51:24 AM »

Fisi's exit won't slow down the car, Sutil can score: Mallya
PTI 4 September 2009, 03:04pm IST

NEW DELHI: The VJM02 will remain the same blindingly fast car, with or without Giancarlo Fisichella, and Adrian Sutil is good enough to score

points in the remaining five races of the 2009 season, said Force India chairman Vijay Mallya.

Speaking from London, Mallya dismissed suggestion that losing Fisichella, so far the team's only point-scoring driver, would render the team a lesser force and insisted in F1, it all boils down to the car, more than its driver.

"Let's get one thing clear. Fisichella's presence or absence will not make the car go faster or slower. The car has already been developed and it's competitive and blindingly fast," a nonchalant Mallya said.

"Let's understand the driver's responsibility. His first responsibility is to work with the engineers to develop the car. For all of last year and this year, Fisichella has worked with the engineers to develop a car and we now have a truly fast car.

"Now going forward, there are five races to go this year and I can tell you that there is no rule that only Fisichella can score points with this car," he said.

"Now that we know that the car is good and competitive, Adrian Sutil can score points. In fact, I would go on to say that the new driver we put in the car can also score points because at the end of the day, we have successfully developed a car that is fast and competitive," Mallya said.

Insisting that Fisichella's exit doesn't mean end of the world for Force India, Mallya said, "If I thought that Fisichella's departure is going to affect the prospect of the team, I would not have let him go."

His assertions notwithstanding, Fisichella's exit came as a shock since both the driver and Mallya have been denying those paddock 'rumours' since the Italian's sensational podium finish in Sunday's Belgium Grand Prix.

Explaining why he let Fisichella go, Mallya said the Italian's contract with Force India expires with the next five races and the team was "not in a position" to offer him a new contract for 2010-11.

So when Fisichella sought an early release, Mallya said he did not want to be the spoilsport, since Ferrari was offering the Italian a long-term role there.

"See, the fact of the matter is Fisichella was already negotiating with Ferrari for 2010 and onwards since I have no contract with him beyond 2009. I'm also not in a position to offer him a contract for 2010 and 2011. So basically he was already discussing his future with Ferrari."

"Now what has happened is because of Felipe Massa's (whom Fisichella would replace in Ferrari) accident, what was going to happen in January 2010 has happened on September 2009, as simple as that," Mallya said.

"Fisichella came to me and said he is at the fag end of his racing career. We don't have a contract to offer him beyond 2009 season and here he is getting a good opportunity in Ferrari.

"So he asked me 'Boss, kindly let me go so that I can have three years more in the circuit and can run with the iconic Ferrari'.

"On compassionate ground, I said OK. Mind you, I did not even ask for any compensation. I basically said if the man is getting opportunity why the hell should I stand in his way?" Mallya said, denying any financial considerations in the whole episode.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/racing/top-stories/Fisis-exit-wont-slow-down-the-car-Sutil-can-score-Mallya/articleshow/4971654.cms

Pages: [1]   Go Up