Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: IPL 2009 - Match 20 (MI v/s KXIP) - Revived Punjab face stiff challenge  (Read 8886 times)

cricket_news

Revived Punjab face stiff challenge
28 April 2009, 9:46 pm

Match facts

April 29, 2009

Start time 16:45 pm (14:45 GMT)

Big Picture

Karan Goel has struggled to get going after an impressive beginning against Delhi Daredevils

Getty Images

Two teams - Deccan Chargers and Delhi Daredevils - have dominated the tournament thus far, while the two that take on each other in Durban on Wednesday have both emerged strong contenders. Punjab Kings XI overcame their rain-affected defeats in their first two games to win the next two quite comfortably, marking a trend similar to their performance last season. Mumbai have been more impressive, putting behind them the blip against table-toppers Deccan, to grind Kolkata Knight Riders into submission with a 92-run win in their previous game.

Both teams appear to have rectified their faults that plagued them in the early stages. The fast bowling duo of Irfan Pathan and Yusuf Abdulla recovered well after Duckworth-Lewis didn't give them much of a chance in Punjab's two losses, and have since shared 12 wickets between them. Abdulla's three-wicket burst proved decisive in enabling his team to defend 139 against Rajasthan Royals in their last game, and Pathan, adding to his impressive bowling, has been consistent with the bat. In the batting line-up, Ravi Bopara and Kumar Sangakkara have proved instrumental in their team's victories, though Karan Goel, after three disappointing outings, will look to make a more significant contribution.

Things fell into place perfectly for Mumbai in their thumping win against Kolkata. Sachin Tendulkar and Sanath Jayasuriya proved a lethal opening combination, and despite the middle-order wobble, the bowlers, led by Lasith Malinga and Dwayne Bravo, who've shared 15 wickets in three completed games, took little time to skittle out the opposition. The form of Shikhar Dhawan, who averages 12.33, remains a concern, but the sheer ease with which they knocked off Kolkata, and the consistency of their star players, gives them the edge going into Durban.

Form guide

Mumbai: Sachin Tendulkar has been in prime form, with two half-centuries, and averaging 81.50. Though his opening partner, Sanath Jayasuriya, has not been as prolific, both batsmen have strike-rates of over 130. Lasith Malinga has been their highest wicket-taker with nine at a strike rate of 6.8. Zaheer Khan, on the other hand, has had an expensive IPL, bagging just one wicket and going at 7.27-an-over.

Punjab: Though Irfan Pathan and Yusuf Abdulla have been among the wickets, they have also been among the more expensive of their team's bowlers, with each conceding above 8-an-over. Piyush Chawla has been economical, going at 5.63 and taking three wickets. As for their batting, Karan Goel has two ducks to his name in his last three games, while Mahela Jayawardene has had one notable performance and averages 22.50, but will look to impose himself more.

Watch out for

Yusuf Abdulla: Jerome Taylor's absence was a blow for Punjab ahead of the tournament, but Yusuf Abdulla, after a shocker of a first ball where he was dispatched for six, has filled the void admirably to emerge as their highest wicket-taker with seven at an average of 13.

Team news

Mumbai could retain a winning combination. They were able to restrict Kolkata in the last game with a collective bowling effort, and though Dhawal Kulkarni has had only one game, where he went for 18 in one over, he may have to wait his turn. Saurabh Tiwary, the left-hand batsman, has had just the one match and Mumbai could give him a go against Punjab.

Mumbai: (probable) 1 Sanath Jayasuriya, 2 Sachin Tendulkar (capt), 3 Shikhar Dhawan, 4 JP Duminy, 5 Dwayne Bravo, 6 Saurabh Tiwary, 7 Abhishek Nayar, 8 Harbhajan Singh, 9 Zaheer Khan, 10 Pinal Shah (wk),  11 Lasith Malinga.

Punjab will also be tempted to stick with the same team that beat Rajasthan Royals. They had included Ranadeb Bose, the medium-pacer, in their win against Bangalore, but he went for too many, conceding 24 in two overs. His replacement for the next game, Ramesh Powar, proved tidy, going for just 10 runs in two overs, and with spinners playing a major influence in this IPL, his supporting role for Piyush Chawla should come in handy.

Punjab: (probable) 1 Karan Goel, 2 Ravi Bopara, 3 Yuvraj Singh (capt), 4 Kumar Sangakkara (wk), 5 Mahela Jayawardene, 6 Irfan Pathan, 7 Taruwar Kohli, 8 Piyush Chawla, 9 Vikramjeet Malik, 10 Ramesh Powar, 11 Yusuf Abdulla.

Head-to-head record

Punjab emerged winners in both contests between the two sides, of which one was a thriller that went to the last ball and was decided by a run-out. Punjab won the first game comfortably by a 66-run margin, with Sangakkara top scoring with 94. Tendulkar shone in the second with a supreme 65, before a collapse towards the death concluded with Yuvraj diving full stretch to clip the stumps at the non-striker's end to beat an attempted single by offspinner Vikrant Yeligati, and snatch a one-run win.

Siddhartha Talya is an editorial assistant at Cricinfo

Source: India news from Cricinfo

« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 05:03:55 AM by keep-it-cool »

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century

my roommate from college sid is moving up in life (or in cricinfo). writing whole articles, doing ball by ball, and blogging also.

harami couldnt mention CV for me in the pak-aus match
In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in a clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness. Our life is a long and arduous quest after Truth.
-- Mohandas K *hi

12th_Man

• Team of the Century

PKings bat.
Fro a change I am cheering the underdogs (PKXI) in this
 Kings XI Punjab team
 RS Bopara, K Goel, Yuvraj Singh, KC Sangakkara, DPMD Jayawardene, IK Pathan, RR Powar, WA Mota, VS Malik, PP Chawla, YA Abdulla 

Mumbai Indians team
 ST Jayasuriya, SR Tendulkar, S Dhawan, JP Duminy, DJ Bravo, AM Nayar, SS Tiwary, PR Shah, Harbhajan Singh, Z Khan, SL Malinga 

« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 02:26:26 PM by 12th_Man »

12th_Man

• Team of the Century

Also predecting Goel will hit a great knock today

pzd

• Test Match Star

Malinga's performance will most probably decide this match

12th_Man

• Team of the Century

Malinga's performance will most probably decide this match
Malinga has been in great form and has been difficult to hit so far. WIth PK line up, it will be good to see if he can continue the consistency.

Aloo Kashmiri Ul Haq

• Bismallah Rahim izzz I izzz score 15017 runs
  • Team of the Century
  • sekho na naino ki bhasha..

my roommate from college sid is moving up in life (or in cricinfo). writing whole articles, doing ball by ball, and blogging also.

harami couldnt mention CV for me in the pak-aus match

you and your connexions
Why did the chicken cross the road?

According to Le Chatelier:

The chicken crossed the road because there were too many moles of chicken
on the reactants side of the road equilibrium.

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
  • Thanda Thanda Kool Kool

Bhajji and Jayasuriya and maybe even SRT will have a role to play ...same pitch as the KKR match ...KXIP have good options ...PC, RP, YS himself
Sachin Tendulkar gave the muhurat clap for 'Awwal Number' - that apart, he hasn't done much wrong in the last 20 yrs!

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century

Damn ..no wicket for Malinga yet.

We need to take quick wickets upfront ..these guys really bat deep and most of them can hit big.
Sachin Tendulkar gave the muhurat clap for 'Awwal Number' - that apart, he hasn't done much wrong in the last 20 yrs!

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century

TRIVIA: Lasith Malinga is leading the bowling charts all the way. He is not only the leading wicket taker but his economy rate of 4.28 is the best, his average of 5 is the best and his strike rate of 7 is also the best in IPL 2009. (Minimum Qualification - 10 overs bowled)

::cheers:: ::cheers:: ::cheers:: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

ramshorns

• Team of the Century
Re: IPL 2009 - Match 20 (MI v/s KXIP) - Revived Punjab face stiff challenge
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 02:58:43 PM »

HS gets Goel beat in the air.  Nice stumping too by Shah.

cricket_news

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 03:00:21 PM »

Kings XI Punjab bat first
29 April 2009, 2:23 pm

Yuvraj Singh won his second toss in a row and decided Kings XI Punjab would bat

Source: India news from Cricinfo

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 03:00:55 PM »

Bhajji gets Goel ...!!!!

Once again SRT brings him on in the powerplay.

I must say I have been impressed with SRT's captaincy in this tournament. He appears completely different from the captain we used to know ...seems a lot more at peace with himself.

I think he's finally felt that load being lifted off his shoulders where he has to carry the whole team - of late, wherever he has played - the test team, the ODI team or this MI team, there are enough performers and he can play freely without worrying too much. I think that is allowing the cricket sense that was always there to come out and reflect in his actions as a skipper.

ramshorns

• Team of the Century
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 03:01:37 PM »

Sharp catch by SRT there to get rid of Bopara.

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 03:01:59 PM »

And another bowling change - this time Bravo - works.

Bopara GONE!

Is SRT gaining the Dhoni touch?

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 03:14:11 PM »

And Duminy gets Yuvi !!!

GO MUMBAI

ramshorns

• Team of the Century
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 03:15:01 PM »

Well judged catch by ZK to get rid of YS.  Looks like Kings 11 will lose this game.

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 03:17:25 PM »

Well judged catch by ZK to get rid of YS.  Looks like Kings 11 will lose this game.

I think bowling under lights will aid the bowlers later ...my only worry is that only SRT, Jayasuriya have really clicked for MI ...Duminy and Nayar have had the odd good innings and Bravo has not fired with the bat yet. So, I would want to keep KXIP to 140 or thereabouts. We'll easily chase even 160 if we get a great start, but if the openers go early, we may struggle with a high RRR - esp on this pitch.

ramshorns

• Team of the Century
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 03:19:22 PM »

I think bowling under lights will aid the bowlers later ...my only worry is that only SRT, Jayasuriya have really clicked for MI ...Duminy and Nayar have had the odd good innings and Bravo has not fired with the bat yet. So, I would want to keep KXIP to 140 or thereabouts. We'll easily chase even 160 if we get a great start, but if the openers go early, we may struggle with a high RRR - esp on this pitch.
I do not see Kings 11 going past 125 here.

ramshorns

• Team of the Century
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 03:28:27 PM »

Bhajji gets Goel ...!!!!

Once again SRT brings him on in the powerplay.

I must say I have been impressed with SRT's captaincy in this tournament. He appears completely different from the captain we used to know ...seems a lot more at peace with himself.

I think he's finally felt that load being lifted off his shoulders where he has to carry the whole team - of late, wherever he has played - the test team, the ODI team or this MI team, there are enough performers and he can play freely without worrying too much. I think that is allowing the cricket sense that was always there to come out and reflect in his actions as a skipper.
I think without a doubt SRT seems to be enjoying his cricket more than any other time of his career.  He said that in the recent past few times.  I think we may be looking here for another WC run in 2011 from SRT.   That is 2 years away and too early to say so but the cup being in India it may be an added motivation for him to continue.  As long as he paces himself he might be able to afterall last that long.   Let us see how that turns out.

Cover Point

• Cover Point
  • Team of the Century
  • Cover Point
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 03:49:45 PM »

Bombay's  bowling really is great. With Malinga, ZK and bhajji .... where will the teams score any runs?

they have the top three bowlers. That ZK uthappa trade is looking bad. Saala mallya screwed everyone over (not just themselves)
Busting Gangulian chops since eternity.

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 03:50:32 PM »

I just love our bowling attack. That is definitely much more impressive than our batting - and that is saying something given that we have the likes of Sachin, Sanath and Duminy in our ranks.

Cover Point

• Cover Point
  • Team of the Century
  • Cover Point
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2009, 03:52:44 PM »

I just love our bowling attack. That is definitely much more impressive than our batting - and that is saying something given that we have the likes of Sachin, Sanath and Duminy in our ranks.

kuck karna padega in bumbai ke bhaiyon ka!

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 03:52:58 PM »

Bombay's  bowling really is great. With Malinga, ZK and bhajji .... where will the teams score any runs?

they have the top three bowlers. That ZK uthappa trade is looking bad. Saala mallya screwed everyone over (not just themselves)

Moreover, we have the support bowlers for either kind of conditions ...so, a Nayar can be used if conditions help pacers while Sanath, Sachin and Duminy come in handy on slow, turning tracks. It is a pity we did not have Malinga last season due to injury and lost Bhajji to slapgate. The Ambanis - or whoever they have put in charge (I think Harsha is one of them) have done a great job.

Only the players screwing it up can hurt us ...

ramshorns

• Team of the Century
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 03:55:59 PM »

That is not the case.  Actually DC and in particular Gilly almost scored 10 an over in the first 8-9 overs.  But that does not mean they are not good but my point is to show that it has been done in this very tournament.  I think the conditions and the overall lineup of the batting side are the key.

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 03:57:37 PM »

Hahaha Malinga ne Mota ko Patla kar diya!

Aur Chawla, tu bhi apne Chawl chala jaa patli gali se

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 04:02:27 PM »

That is not the case.  Actually DC and in particular Gilly almost scored 10 an over in the first 8-9 overs.  But that does not mean they are not good but my point is to show that it has been done in this very tournament.  I think the conditions and the overall lineup of the batting side are the key.

Of course they can be taken for runs ...each one of these bowlers have lost the plot at some point ...that is great about the IPL ..we have really good players playing against each other day in and day out. But, on balance, I would back this bowling attack over all others in this tournament.

In fact, I think Malinga v/s Edwards is a difficult debate to settle for this IPL.

And RPS v/s Zak is also not that different.

Bhajji v/s Ojha is also close in this tournament.

I think after that, we have the edge because of the likes of Bravo & Sanath who are very experienced bowlers at the international level.

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2009, 04:05:42 PM »

I hope Malinga finishes it in this over ..or atleast gets Sanga.

Else, we'll have a weak 20th over - most likely Bravo

ramshorns

• Team of the Century
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2009, 04:06:34 PM »

Of course they can be taken for runs ...each one of these bowlers have lost the plot at some point ...that is great about the IPL ..we have really good players playing against each other day in and day out. But, on balance, I would back this bowling attack over all others in this tournament.

In fact, I think Malinga v/s Edwards is a difficult debate to settle for this IPL.

And RPS v/s Zak is also not that different.

Bhajji v/s Ojha is also close in this tournament.

I think after that, we have the edge because of the likes of Bravo & Sanath who are very experienced bowlers at the international level.
I think after Edwards leaves without a doubt the DC attack will weaken a bit.  It all depends on how Vaas does on the SA pitches.  However IMO MI attack looks better on paper than DC overall.

Cover Point

• Cover Point
  • Team of the Century
  • Cover Point
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2009, 04:16:13 PM »

So really DD is over hyped relative to these two teams. Good bowling will always be more important than good batting. In short boundries ... its easy to hit big hits. Its a bowler like Malinga that makes a difference. Saala every ball is a yorker!!!

Delhi only has good batting ... and that too just the top 4. Bowling is only vettori .... and he was beaten up by Pathan last game. Shewag idiot may end up dropping him just for that.

We need Wrath to come back ... and come back in form!!!

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2009, 04:18:40 PM »

So really DD is over hyped relative to these two teams. Good bowling will always be more important than good batting. In short boundries ... its easy to hit big hits. Its a bowler like Malinga that makes a difference. Saala every ball is a yorker!!!

Delhi only has good batting ... and that too just the top 4. Bowling is only vettori .... and he was beaten up by Pathan last game. Shewag idiot may end up dropping him just for that.

We need Wrath to come back ... and come back in form!!!

btw, what has happend to mcgrath?

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2009, 04:21:03 PM »

The better half of our team has delivered.

Now for the batsmen to finish the job.

ruchir

• Team of the Century
  • WC03 Final - Ganguly is in pain after a fall
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2009, 04:30:43 PM »

SJ gone.

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2009, 04:31:13 PM »

pathan strikes early denying me the pleasure of watching jayasuriya before office

Cover Point

• Cover Point
  • Team of the Century
  • Cover Point
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2009, 04:33:30 PM »

SRT playing a test match!!! (this is a sledge I use often on the ground when playing ... u will be surprised how often it works :) )

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2009, 04:35:45 PM »

Aha ...opener goes early ...now, lets see how our batting holds up!

It is time Dhawan gave us a return on our investment ...we gave him a slot ..doubt he would have played for Delhi this year.

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2009, 04:39:44 PM »

Ouch. Sachin goes. Now, we got to earn it.

Cover Point

• Cover Point
  • Team of the Century
  • Cover Point
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2009, 04:41:08 PM »

they have too few runs. Had the total been even 140 ... it would be game on.

Dhawan is a good batsman. As is Duminy and Bravo to come.

Get Duminy now and we may have a game on

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2009, 04:44:17 PM »

KXIP playing the extra bowler today. Irfan is actually the fifth bowler plus they have Yuvi. So, the bowling depth is there.

My worry is that while our batsmen are good, no one has come good consistently yet.

Yes the score is on the lower side but the RRR will creep up as we consolidate - those two quick wickets are as good as 20 extra runs

ramshorns

• Team of the Century
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2009, 04:48:35 PM »

KXIP playing the extra bowler today. Irfan is actually the fifth bowler plus they have Yuvi. So, the bowling depth is there.

My worry is that while our batsmen are good, no one has come good consistently yet.

Yes the score is on the lower side but the RRR will creep up as we consolidate - those two quick wickets are as good as 20 extra runs
Mumbai needs to keep it simple.  No wickets to lose till the break of the 10th over and then re-evaluate.  That will get a partnership going and everything becomes simple after that since the target is only 120.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up