Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: IPL 2009 - Match 19 (BRC vs KKR) : Battle for the wooden spoon  (Read 16464 times)

LosingNow

• Team of the Century

Looks like both teams are trying multiple captains.. so "multiple captain" are bound to win a game now ;D
Play with heart. Win with class. Lose with dignity

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
Re: IPL 2009 - Match 19 (BRC vs KKR) : Battle for the wooden spoon
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 06:23:04 PM »

Will McCullum fire his 150 again

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
  • Thanda Thanda Kool Kool
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 06:24:36 PM »

Why play without Steyn? Why??

Anyway even BRC should get a boost with Bracken joining them. I think he would be best to replace KP as the foreign player.
Sachin Tendulkar gave the muhurat clap for 'Awwal Number' - that apart, he hasn't done much wrong in the last 20 yrs!

ramshorns

• Team of the Century
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 06:27:06 PM »

I think it is very safe to say these two teams will finish at the bottom of the IPL going by the teams they have and where they are at this point in time.   I do not see them competing for a SF spot especially after RR's wins today.  It will be other six teams for the 4 SF spots with KKR and BRC as you said will vie for the wooden spoon and it I were to take a guess that 8th spot will go to the KKR team given the atrocious line up they have the one which boasted of the likes of Chopra, Bangar and Agarkar at various points in time.

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 06:29:52 PM »

I think it is very safe to say these two teams will finish at the bottom of the IPL going by the teams they have and where they are at this point in time.   I do not see them competing for a SF spot especially after RR's wins today.  It will be other six teams for the 4 SF spots with KKR and BRC as you said will vie for the wooden spoon and it I were to take a guess that 8th spot will go to the KKR team given the atrocious line up they have the one which boasted of the likes of Chopra, Bangar and Agarkar at various points in time.

Well if KKR win, they get onto five points - the same as MI and RR and ahead of CSK - so, it is not as if it is all over. And they have a better NRR than RR ..so will be in the top 4!
Sachin Tendulkar gave the muhurat clap for 'Awwal Number' - that apart, he hasn't done much wrong in the last 20 yrs!

ramshorns

• Team of the Century
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 06:39:18 PM »

Well if KKR win, they get onto five points - the same as MI and RR and ahead of CSK - so, it is not as if it is all over. And they have a better NRR than RR ..so will be in the top 4!
That is a big if.  Tomorrow sure they have a chance but I pick BRC to win this one.  And remember they would have played one game more and in some cases two after tomorrows game in comparision to MI, RR, CSK.  So they would have finished playing six games along with BRC another point to be kept in mind.
On top of all that when I look at the roster after Gayle is gone with all due respect to Ganguly I do not see a single player on that roster that can be called a match winner in 20-20 which every other team seem to have nor do they have a cohesive unit to win as a team.  That is my reason behind them not having a chance in this IPL.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 06:41:12 PM by ramshorns »

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 06:45:27 PM »

I think it is very safe to say these two teams will finish at the bottom of the IPL going by the teams they have and where they are at this point in time.   I do not see them competing for a SF spot especially after RR's wins today.  It will be other six teams for the 4 SF spots with KKR and BRC as you said will vie for the wooden spoon and it I were to take a guess that 8th spot will go to the KKR team given the atrocious line up they have the one which boasted of the likes of Chopra, Bangar and Agarkar at various points in time.

That is a big if.  Tomorrow sure they have a chance but I pick BRC to win this one.  And remember they would have played one game more and in some cases two after tomorrows game in comparision to MI, RR, CSK.  So they would have finished playing six games along with BRC another point to be kept in mind.
On top of all that when I look at the roster after Gayle is gone with all due respect to Ganguly I do not see a single player on that roster that can be called a match winner in 20-20 which every other team seem to have nor do they have a cohesive unit to win as a team.  That is my reason behind them not having a chance in this IPL.

I agree their chances appear remote compared to many of the others ...however, they just need to make it to fourth spot ..last year, Mumbai almost made it after five consecutive losses to start with. This, after losing Bhajji and with SRT not around for most matches and a much weaker bowling attack. Despite that, it was just one rained off match and a one run defeat against KXIP that deprived them off the semis slot. So stranger things can happen - especially in this format.

Smith found his form tonight ...what if McCullum does the same tomorrow?

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 06:49:17 PM »

I was debating with PP on twitter last night on the KKR issue..

IMO, they badly need an overahaul...and it should start with removing all the non-value add stuff that is floating around the team.

Sack JB and his entourage. Stop all the silly parties. Make SG the captain (he is good at it).. tell BM that the captaincy is his next year.. learn the ropes from SG this year and connect with the locals. Tell SRK to stay in the stands and not to enter the dressing room. SG can still motivate and build this team around locals like Dinda, Saha, Das, Shukla, MK, Ishant and internationals like Mendis, Mccullum, Mashrafe. Don't expect much this season.. there may be a surprise.. but build your team for next year starting now.

SRK's ego may not allow this, though.

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 06:50:49 PM »

I think it is very safe to say these two teams will finish at the bottom of the IPL going by the teams they have and where they are at this point in time.   I do not see them competing for a SF spot especially after RR's wins today.  It will be other six teams for the 4 SF spots with KKR and BRC as you said will vie for the wooden spoon and it I were to take a guess that 8th spot will go to the KKR team given the atrocious line up they have the one which boasted of the likes of Chopra, Bangar and Agarkar at various points in time.

I agree their chances appear remote compared to many of the others ...however, they just need to make it to fourth spot ..last year, Mumbai almost made it after five consecutive losses to start with. This, after losing Bhajji and with SRT not around for most matches and a much weaker bowling attack. Despite that, it was just one rained off match and a one run defeat against KXIP that deprived them off the semis slot. So stranger things can happen - especially in this format.

Frankly, McCullum, Ishant and Mendis are matchwinners.. they need focus and kids like Ishant need to stop getting laid and concentrate on the game.

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 06:52:20 PM »

I think the only change required, as of now, is move McCullum out of the opening slot. He is clearly not in form. Given that SG is, move him there. Let McCullum come in at No4. Of course one needs to figure out how SG will go against the likes of Malinga, Edwards et al upfront ...but atleast it is worth a try.

ramshorns

• Team of the Century
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 06:53:21 PM »

You never say never in sports and stranger things have happended but looking as things stand and what this team has IMO they are the wosrt team of the competition as of now.   If something drastic happens in the next few days we will have to wait and see but I do not see that looking at the team they have which you agree about too.

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 06:54:04 PM »

Frankly, McCullum, Ishant and Mendis are matchwinners.. they need focus and kids like Ishant need to stop getting laid and concentrate on the game.

What about Ishant? The best young fast bowler in the world is paling under the shadow of the likes of Edwards, Malinga, Munna and even Kamran and Nehra. Seriously, this kid is good ..but he has been hyped beyond extremes. He is the Rohit Sharma of bowling.

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 06:54:48 PM »

You never say never in sports and stranger things have happended but looking as things stand and what this team has IMO they are the wosrt team of the competition as of now.   If something drastic happens in the next few days we will have to wait and see but I do not see that looking at the team they have which you agree about too.

Yes

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 06:58:24 PM »

What about Ishant? The best young fast bowler in the world is paling under the shadow of the likes of Edwards, Malinga, Munna and even Kamran and Nehra. Seriously, this kid is good ..but he has been hyped beyond extremes.
..and SRK's travelling circus doesnt help matters in such cases. The kid (and others) is partying with celebrities, getting laid, getting money showered - easy to lose perspective at this impressionable age.

12th_Man

• Team of the Century
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 06:58:51 PM »

IMO, they badly need an overahaul...and it should start with removing all the non-value add stuff that is floating around the team.

Sack JB and his entourage. Stop all the silly parties. Make SG the captain (he is good at it).. tell BM that the captaincy is his next year.. learn the ropes from SG this year and connect with the locals. Tell SRK to stay in the stands and not to enter the dressing room. SG can still motivate and build this team around locals like Dinda, Saha, Das, Shukla, MK, Ishant and internationals like Mendis, Mccullum, Mashrafe. Don't expect much this season.. there may be a surprise.. but build your team for next year starting now.

::cheers:: I think you covered all most all the issues.
I am surprised to see a team with Gayle, BM, Hodge,SG at top 4 lose. 2 of these need to succeed for good total and make close to 40-50. don't know what happened to BM all of sudden. He played pretty well in T20 competetions agianst India.

ramshorns

• Team of the Century
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 07:01:17 PM »

All that sounds great in theory.  Given the way games are scheduled and the timelines it is not feasible to make changes of such magnitude(sacking JB and his entourage) at this stage of the IPL when they would have almost played half their games by tomorrow.  That will further dent the confidence of the team and creates more doubts in players mind.

Regardless they will be buidling for next year since in my estimates they will be out of it soon.  This is where SRK needs to be smart get the best out of this team by requesting JB and others in the staff/management to try as many combinations as possible and give chances to Ratan Shukla's of the world and get them as much time in the middle as possible.  And the same for Saha when he gets healthy and others too.  That is the way to go for them.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 07:03:29 PM by ramshorns »

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 07:04:09 PM »

That will further dent the confidence of the team and creates more doubts in players mind.
On the contrary, it will bring clarity in their head and bring confidence .. they know who is the leader, what the plan is.. and they will be playing with ZERO expectations this year.

JB et al will keep muddling this thing

ramshorns

• Team of the Century
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 07:07:26 PM »

What about Ishant? The best young fast bowler in the world is paling under the shadow of the likes of Edwards, Malinga, Munna and even Kamran and Nehra. Seriously, this kid is good ..but he has been hyped beyond extremes. He is the Rohit Sharma of bowling.
Agree at this stage Ishant has lost it a bit.  Keep aside him being a match winner.  He as of now is in the midst of putting together what has made him so good.  Definitely the hype factor is there and in the shorter version he has never been that good anyway.

ramshorns

• Team of the Century
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 07:12:50 PM »

That will further dent the confidence of the team and creates more doubts in players mind.
On the contrary, it will bring clarity in their head and bring confidence .. they know who is the leader, what the plan is.. and they will be playing with ZERO expectations this year.

Practically and realistically JB will not be out before the season.  So within those parameters discussions need to happen what would be the best course of action for this team.

Cover Point

• Cover Point
  • Team of the Century
  • Cover Point
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 07:16:52 PM »

just in case someone seems like pinging me or sending me an email with the results tomorrow, remember. I have a day full of meetings ... so am unlikely to watch the game until atleast the evening.

Who ever spoils the game for me will feel the wrath of Ganguly! (I control him)
Busting Gangulian chops since eternity.

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 07:22:43 PM »

Practically and realistically JB will not be out before the season.  So within those parameters discussions need to happen what would be the best course of action for this team.
Why is it not practical to fire JB this season? It takes 15 minutes to fire someone ;D

ramshorns

• Team of the Century
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 08:10:02 PM »

Anyway even BRC should get a boost with Bracken joining them. I think he would be best to replace KP as the foreign player.
Actually a very interesting article appeared in 'The Hindu' today that makes a lot of sense.  This is the gist of why the bite is taken out of bowlers like Steyn.

--
A strong slip cordon is mandatory for an outswing bowler to flourish. Without the right men in right catching positions, he is bound to suffer.

This is precisely why Dale Steyn, a fine outswing bowler and a stunning success in Tests, finds life a lot harder in Twenty20 cricket. The nature of the format diminishes his strength.

ramshorns

• Team of the Century
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 08:24:28 PM »

Why is it not practical to fire JB this season? It takes 15 minutes to fire someone ;D
You are right literally speaking.  It is SRK's prerogative afterall.  But I was more looking at this from an overall perspective based on SRK being on board with all these JB methods that such a move at this stage looks far fetched.  So given that the team needs to come to grips with what they have and make the best use of the situation when eventually they will be eliminated from it.

armchair_critic

• 12th Man
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 08:39:12 PM »

You are right literally speaking.  It is SRK's prerogative afterall.  But I was more looking at this from an overall perspective based on SRK being on board with all these JB methods that such a move at this stage looks far fetched.  So given that the team needs to come to grips with what they have and make the best use of the situation when eventually they will be eliminated from it.
You are right. Firing JB will mean SRK will have to eat the humble pie.
We all know what are the chances of that happening.

Does anybody else thinks that Dildo does not care much about winning. It seems more about self-aggrandizement and return on the investment

Alas what he does not understand is that in the long run, without winning he cannot hope to continue to make money on his investment

cricket_news

Back benchers to battle it out
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 10:01:21 PM »

29 April 2009, 12:00 am

IPL / Chance for RCB and KKR to wriggle out of the rut                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

Pietersen has not produced a single match-winning knock so far

McCullum has not been able to inspire KKR as expected

— PHOTO: AFP

PIVOTAL FORCE: Royal Challengers will look forward to the all-round abilities of Jacques Kallis, whose form has been indifferent so far.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

Durban: High on star power but low on performance, tournament laggards Kolkata Knight Riders and Royal Challengers Bangalore square off in a battle of survival in the Indian Premier League here on Tuesday.

There is an intriguing similarity between the sides, both of which dumped former India skippers and handed over captaincy reigns to foreign imports before the second edition of the tournament.

However, neither Brendon McCullum nor Kevin Pietersen could work wonders and both the Knight Riders and Royal Challengers have just one win against their name from five outings.

The Pietersen-led Bangalore, which was second from bottom the last time around, could end up repeating that performance considering the way things have gone for it so far.

Fortunes nosedive

The outfit owned by Vijay Mallya was off to a flier, beating defending champions Rajasthan Royals in the opening match but its fortunes have nosedived ever since.

The side’s $1.55 million buy Pietersen has shown only glimpses of the form that Bangalore so desperately needs, failing to produce a single match-winning knock so far.

With the experienced and in-form Rahul Dravid on paternity leave, Bangalore’s batting line-up has been further weakened.

More woes

Adding to the team’s woes is the poor form of Jesse Ryder and all-rounder Jacques Kallis, both of whom have not been regulars in the side. In all, the batting of the team has been a huge let down but the problems do not end at that.

The bowling has not been much of a success either with veteran leg-spinner Anil Kumble being the only exception. The likes of Praveen Kumar and Pankaj Singh have failed to provide the breakthroughs and Pietersen’s leadership itself has not been any impressive.

Kolkata, on the other hand, was in turmoil even before it landed here. The much-debated multiple-captaincy theory of coach John Buchanan, the subsequent sacking of Sourav Ganguly as captain and the immensely popular mystery blogger who has been ripping apart the team while claiming to be one of its members, have all added up to make it a turbulent African safari for superstar Shah Rukh Khan’s team.

The team’s new captain McCullum has not been able to inspire the side as expected and the management’s decision to send non-performing players like Akash Chopra and Sanjay Bangar back to India in the middle of the tournament has left the Knight Riders a divided house.

The off-field drama has expectedly taken a toll on the team’s on-field show and it would be quite a task for it to set aside the distractions and come good, even if it is against an equally-struggling Bangalore. — PTI

Source: The Hindu - Sport

WicketView

• Team of the Century
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2009, 10:05:37 PM »

You never say never in sports and stranger things have happended but looking as things stand and what this team has IMO they are the wosrt team of the competition as of now.   If something drastic happens in the next few days we will have to wait and see but I do not see that looking at the team they have which you agree about too.
I agree. If you put this team on paper, it is a very weak team. They do have some potential match winners in the team, but they have a lot of fluff. And match winners don't  necessarily fire every match, so maybe in the odd matches, or a string if you are particularly lucky ....otherwise  the fluff caches up, especially in a tournament where other teams try to fill their places with top cricketers.

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 04:53:20 AM »

Actually a very interesting article appeared in 'The Hindu' today that makes a lot of sense.  This is the gist of why the bite is taken out of bowlers like Steyn.

--
A strong slip cordon is mandatory for an outswing bowler to flourish. Without the right men in right catching positions, he is bound to suffer.

This is precisely why Dale Steyn, a fine outswing bowler and a stunning success in Tests, finds life a lot harder in Twenty20 cricket. The nature of the format diminishes his strength.

Shane Warne had a slip in the 17th over yesterday when Kamran Khan was bowling to Vettori & Minhas - both going for runs. Did not work out but clearly showed positive intent to pick up wickets and wind the innings down rather than just contain.

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2009, 04:55:03 AM »

What about Ishant? The best young fast bowler in the world is paling under the shadow of the likes of Edwards, Malinga, Munna and even Kamran and Nehra. Seriously, this kid is good ..but he has been hyped beyond extremes.
..and SRK's travelling circus doesnt help matters in such cases. The kid (and others) is partying with celebrities, getting laid, getting money showered - easy to lose perspective at this impressionable age.

Oh please. Ishant stopped having any kind of impact in the shorter versions of the game long before IPL started. He was a liability in the T20 games in NZ as well.

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2009, 04:59:09 AM »

You never say never in sports and stranger things have happended but looking as things stand and what this team has IMO they are the wosrt team of the competition as of now.   If something drastic happens in the next few days we will have to wait and see but I do not see that looking at the team they have which you agree about too.
I agree. If you put this team on paper, it is a very weak team. They do have some potential match winners in the team, but they have a lot of fluff. And match winners don't  necessarily fire every match, so maybe in the odd matches, or a string if you are particularly lucky ....otherwise  the fluff caches up, especially in a tournament where other teams try to fill their places with top cricketers.

Agree in part. However, in the T20 format it is easier for the few match winners to have an impact on the contest.

Last year, RR was a combination of some good players and some fluff ...guys like Kaif, Jadeja, Niraj Patel & some others did not deliver in every match. Watson, Tanvir, Pathan and Smith were the real standout performers ....the others do not have that great records ...but were able to play around these guys.

If you have three (psycho) batsmen and one or two bowlers in form, I think you have a fair chance of cracking this format even against a team where all players are in form.

broadbat

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • A Man With A View
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2009, 10:07:03 AM »

KKR win toss and bat.

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2009, 10:18:10 AM »

This is good news for them. At least they can bat without the pressure of facing any big total and if BRC plays the same bowling attack as in the last match, it should hold no terrors for the batsmen. This is their best chance and they should probably push McCullum down to No4 and let SG go upfront - given their respective form levels.

I think this may be a landmark match for KKR ..if they can get a win under their belt here, they have the ammo to turn it around and atleast make a fist of it for the last semi-final slot.

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2009, 10:23:40 AM »

but why drop Mendis !!! does not make any sense on this pitch which will probably turn and help spinners. Should have played both Mendis and Kartik here.

Saha is back, which stengthens the batting.

broadbat

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • A Man With A View
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2009, 10:25:10 AM »

I think the laptop still has some software glitches.

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2009, 10:26:40 AM »

Van Der Merwe is playing ..that is GOOD. But no Steyn ...good news for SG and other KKR batsmen.

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2009, 10:28:13 AM »

but why drop Mendis !!! does not make any sense on this pitch which will probably turn and help spinners. Should have played both Mendis and Kartik here.

Saha is back, which stengthens the batting.

BRC playing with 3 spinners and KKR with 1.

But are KKR playing only 3 foreigners? If Mortaza is in then Mendis or Hodge has to sit out. And at this point, it is their batting that is a bigger worry.

broadbat

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • A Man With A View
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2009, 10:30:06 AM »

Shahrukh Khan has come back to India to cast his vote. He says he his disappointed with his team's performance so far. He also wants the Indian players in his side to come back to India for a day to cast their vote.

Blwe_torch

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • Last man standing
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2009, 10:30:51 AM »

I think KKR is struggling to get in the right combo...........................we have Mortaza, Mendis and Taibu (?) sitting in the pavilion.
They have reduced the bowlers and strengthen batting! :(

broadbat

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • A Man With A View
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2009, 10:31:14 AM »

Gayle, Cullum open.

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2009, 10:31:22 AM »

Shahrukh Khan has come back to India to cast his vote. He says he his disappointed with his team's performance so far. He also wants the Indian players in his side to come back to India for a day to cast their vote.

pure drama ..so, is he going back after casting his vote or not?

broadbat

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • A Man With A View
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2009, 10:32:12 AM »

Ha ha ha
Cullum out to KP!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up