Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: IPL 2009 - Match Thread 17 (MI vs KKR) All-round Mumbai start as favourites  (Read 15178 times)

12th_Man

• Team of the Century

This is rank amateur performance by KKR. Despite all the coaching excellence and support staff brilliance......all they are offering is some stale stuff!
well put.

Blwe_torch

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • Last man standing

Ghosh goes.
wow.. That is a surprise. He seem to be  in team only for his batting skills.

Here is an example where appropriate captaincy could have helped.

ruchir

• Team of the Century
  • WC03 Final - Ganguly is in pain after a fall

WN, if SG wants to be a part of KKR he will have to keep himself fit (probably by eating less rasgullahs). There is no other way out for him. Even this year, he is at least scoring run, and by not being the captain he can not be blamed for the defeats too. I would say he is doing good this year.

Anyways, KKR have done a 'korbo'... have done a 'lorbo'... and have done a 'haarbo'. Maybe they should change their slogan now.

LosingNow

• Team of the Century

95-9.. Anureet will not bat. Game over.

An old-fashioned ass-whipping here
Play with heart. Win with class. Lose with dignity

proloy

• Test Match Star

The bowling and fielding captains of KKR fell somewhat short of expectation today. But it's a good learning experience for them. They'll be taking a lot of positives from this game. The new process will take some time to deliver results.

At least they are staying true to their slogan of Korbo, Lorbo, Morbo.

Shah Rukh is a good hockey coach, but can't pitch in because this is cricket.

sudzz

• Team of the Century

KKR has been butchered, unfortunately I did not get to see MI bat  :(

ruchir

• Team of the Century

95-9.. Anureet will not bat. Game over.

An old-fashioned ass-whipping here

That is also known as spanking. With all the rumors floating around about SRK's leaning, he probably likes a good spanking; and now it seems the habit has 'rubbed' off to his team too!!

poondu

• Team of the Century

Good to see KKR being thrashed, atleast that gives me some happiness after the csk disaster.

LosingNow

• Team of the Century

Shah Rukh is a good hockey coach, but can't pitch in because this is cricket.
;D ;D

That too in a movie.. his forte

12th_Man

• Team of the Century

Ghosh goes.

To give them some credit, they have tried Sanjay Bangar and AChop at this place.
I would however still prefer to Keep Bangar around and not send him so early given the lack of options KKR faces.

LosingNow

• Team of the Century

I wonder why Ponting and Hussey opted out of the IPL .. they must have sensed the rank unprofessionalism and lack of team spirit.

I am with Dex on this.. SRK interference with team management is really a bad idea. People with little knowledge should not "micro-manage" in areas they lack experience and expertise.

LosingNow

• Team of the Century

Juhi Meetha .. ;D ;D

proloy

• Test Match Star

SRK interference with team management is really a bad idea. People with little knowledge should not "micro-manage" in areas they lack experience and expertise.

At least he could have chosen a better name. Instead of KKR it could have been KKF - Kolkata Kite Fliers.

Blwe_torch

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • Last man standing

Ghosh goes.

To give them some credit, they have tried Sanjay Bangar and AChop at this place.
I would however still prefer to Keep Bangar around and not send him so early given the lack of options KKR faces.

It seems no one told these guys how to bat in a 20-20 tournament.

LosingNow

• Team of the Century

Ha ha.. KKR next match against BRC ;D ;D

the wooden spoon challenge

LosingNow

• Team of the Century

Danny Morrison's dyslexic moment..

CI: "Danny M gets it wrong, thanking everyone on behalf of "LPI", that on a second attempt."

12th_Man

• Team of the Century

SRK interference with team management is really a bad idea. People with little knowledge should not "micro-manage" in areas they lack experience and expertise.

At least he could have chosen a better name. Instead of KKR it could have been KKF - Kolkata Kite Fliers.
ROFLMAO

:laughing6: :laughing6: :laughing9: :laughing9:

natty

• Test Match Star
  • we will, we will rock you!

ROFLMAO

:laughing6: :laughing6: :laughing9: :laughing9:

It seems to me that KKRs problems lie with their second tier Indian players.  They are pretty hopeless in batting and probably bring the overall performance down as they put too much pressure on the top order. Also I dont get the original 54 strong roster.. what on earth was that all about?  And all that tamasha with the coaching staff and their relatives.  fake ipl player is the only silver lining.

I think there is a strong case for increasing the foreign quota to at least 5.  The SA conditions make their batting skills look particularly inept. 

I'd be surprised if SG chose to continue next year.

Rude, Blunt, and Uncompromising. It's not personal.

cricket_news

Tendulkar and Jayasuriya overwhelm Kolkata
27 April 2009, 6:18 pm

Mumbai Indians 187 for 6 (Tendulkar 68, Jayasuriya 52) beat Kolkata Knight Riders 95 for 9 (Malinga 3-11, Nayar 3-13) by 92 runs

Scorecard and ball-by-ball details

How they were out

Demolition derby: Fans got to see a rare combined batting exhibition from two legends of the game

AFP

Many a time over the last 15 years or so fans of this great game have wondered what it would be like if Sachin Tendulkar and Sanath Jayasuriya opened together in a limited-overs game and really turned it on. Today they got a glimpse.

The two masters of the limited-overs game, with a combined age of nearly 76, treated Port Elizabeth to the cleanest, purest exhibition of batting that this season of the IPL has seen. Tendulkar paved the way with a sublime innings and Jayasuriya followed suit with an explosive hand, the veteran pair combining to raise a century stand in 52 balls that flummoxed Kolkata Knight Riders. That stunning opening assault formed the crux of Mumbai Indians' 187 and though Kolkata restricted the damage with six wickets for 48 runs after the tactical break, the damage had been done. Their only realistic chance at victory rested on their explosive openers' shoulders but once they were gone inside three overs the chase was basically kaput.

Mumbai's first five overs were busy, without being spectacular. Tendulkar was beaten a couple times by Ishant Sharma but upper-cut a six and flicked a four in Ashok Dinda's first over. That set the tone for a busy innings, taken up a level when he pulled Ishant for six from outside off stump.

While Tendulkar whisked the ball off his pads and slapped through point, Jayasuriya didn't get much strike. His first shot in anger was a chip just over extra cover's fingertips and a signature clip to fine leg followed. Mumbai were 45 for 0 in five overs. What followed was carnage.

Jayasuriya, who was on 8 as Tendulkar scurried to 30, launched Sourav Ganguly's gentle military-medium stuff for consecutive sixes; Tendulkar swept Ajantha Mendis for six; Chris Gayle went for ten in six balls; Mendis was dumped for two sixes by each batsman in his second over. Tendulkar's fourth six, a deft pick-up over midwicket off Mendis, raised his fifty from 34 balls. Jayasuriya had blasted 33 from 13 balls. The 100 was up in 8.4 overs. When the tactical break was taken Tendulkar was 60 off 39 and Jayasuriya 43 off 21, Mumbai 111 for 0.

For a man who has only played one international Twenty20, Tendulkar batted with amazing fluency. He got the wrists into play superbly, pulling and cutting hard, and used his crease to negotiate the pacers. Mendis wasn't even allowed to settle.

There were no crude shots, no cross-batted slogs from Tendulkar and Jayasuriya. This was clinical hitting - each veteran knew the field and backed himself to pick the gaps. It was the experience of 1138 combined international games coming together in a mesmerizing mosaic of boundaries. In between clearing his front leg to lift Mendis there were clever late dabs from Tendulkar, neat tickles from Jayasuriya.

That assault was in stark contrast to the second half of Mumbai's innings, when Kolkata regrouped. The scoring slowed after the break and Tendulkar fell to Laxmi Shukla, looking to take the ball from off stump and work it to leg. Harbhajan Singh strode in, clubbed 18 from 8 balls, and sent a full toss to deep midwicket.  Jayasuriya looked for width but instead chipped to cover for 52 from 32 balls. Then Abhishek Nayar was run out, Dwayne Bravo top-edged to the deep, and Shikhar Dhawan edged Ishant. Gayle bowled a decent last over and Mumbai were unable to end on with a flurry.

Kolkata needed almost 9.5 runs an over inside a stadium rumbling like a Jay Z amplifier, and the pressure of chasing a large total under lights affected the Kolkata openers early in their innings. Brendon McCullum shouldered arms to his first ball before he steered Lasith Malinga to point. Gayle thumped Bravo for the 152th six in the IPL only to edge his West Indian team-mate to slip.

Sourav Ganguly wasn't allowed to come onto the front foot and so he used his feet to loft Bravo down the ground for six and four, and with that try for some momentum. But Ganguly struggled to find the boundaries thereafter and Brad Hodge never really threatened with 24 off 22 balls. Both were to fall against the tidy seam-up bowling of Nayar in successive overs, the last nail firmly hammered into Kolkata's coffin.

Nayar, Bravo, Zaheer Khan and Malinga didn't have to do much but keep it near the stumps and wait for an urgent shot. Each struck rather easily and the rest of the batting card made for disappointing reading as Kolkata fell short by 92 runs. From 71 for 3 when Hodge fell, Kolkata folded for 95 in 15.2 overs.

A powerful batting display was followed by an efficient, shining effort in the field, aptly demonstrating that Mumbai pretty much have all the bases covered.

Jamie Alter is a senior sub-editor at Cricinfo

Source: India news from Cricinfo

LosingNow

• Team of the Century

I agree.. there is only so much tamasha a true professional can/should take. For this reason, I think RP & Hussey opted out. The stupid non-stop parties etc, that we are hearing about,  are just NOT ON. Imagine a Ghosh or Yashpal thrown into this "celebrity circuit high-life".. one can lose grounding very fast in such an environment...specially if you are impressionable

LosingNow

• Team of the Century

Frankly, Sourav should read the riot-act to SRK, JB et al NOW. Stop all the extra-curricular nonsense and focus on cricket.

He has the stature and SRK better listen to him..before this season finishes 1-13!

12th_Man

• Team of the Century

Was this ever a surprise? Given JB's focus was on developng leaders rather uniting team and developing cricket.
It is not secret that a Team with multiple leaders is very difficult to unite still he pursued the idea in a team game (or at least talked abt it).
Now there are neither leaders nor team  :BangHead:.
 In making BM a superme leader, BM's focus changed, screwing up his batting  (like my fantasy which kept on counting on him to deliver).
Only couple of guys namely  Gayle and SG seem capable of producing results. Don't know honestly what would work for this team as there would hardly any  motivation in players as i see it now.

WicketView

• Team of the Century

WN, if SG wants to be a part of KKR he will have to keep himself fit (probably by eating less rasgullahs). There is no other way out for him. Even this year, he is at least scoring run, and by not being the captain he can not be blamed for the defeats too. I would say he is doing good this year.

Anyways, KKR have done a 'korbo'... have done a 'lorbo'... and have done a 'haarbo'. Maybe they should change their slogan now.
You have to clarify that one for me. Do you mean that you have been dreaming or do you mean with oneself rather than the opponent?

ruchir

• Team of the Century

You have to clarify that one for me. Do you mean that you have been dreaming or do you mean with oneself rather than the opponent?

Well, the slogan was 'korbo, lorbo, jeetbo'... meaning Do, Fight, Win. KKR did the doing, did the fighting (as in SG trying hard in last 2 games), but have been losing (haarbo). Hence my humble suggestion of changing the slogan.

ruchir

• Team of the Century

Juhi Meetha .. ;D ;D

Did you notice that she was looked embarrassed standing there during the post match ceremony. Wonder why she was invited there? She has gracefully kept herself in background till now. Maybe SRK forced her out there.

ruchir

• Team of the Century

I agree.. there is only so much tamasha a true professional can/should take. For this reason, I think RP & Hussey opted out. The stupid non-stop parties etc, that we are hearing about,  are just NOT ON. Imagine a Ghosh or Yashpal thrown into this "celebrity circuit high-life".. one can lose grounding very fast in such an environment...specially if you are impressionable

I wonder why JB hasn't put his foot down? What is his responsibility? Or has SRK found a way to make money even from these parties?

Frankly, Sourav should read the riot-act to SRK, JB et al NOW. Stop all the extra-curricular nonsense and focus on cricket.

He has the stature and SRK better listen to him..before this season finishes 1-13!

Agree, although I doubt SRK will listen. Narcissism knows no limits. I don't think victories matter to SRK more than self importance, self indulgence and making money on this investment.

LosingNow

• Team of the Century

Juhi Meetha .. ;D ;D

Did you notice that she was looked embarrassed standing there during the post match ceremony. Wonder why she was invited there? She has gracefully kept herself in background till now. Maybe SRK forced her out there.
Rather, I thought she was craving the spotlight. If you have a replay, notice that she is trying to get in front - so that she is visible ;D

Anyway, even though Danny effed up her name.. she still looks as sweet as QSQT ;D ;D

WicketView

• Team of the Century

Well, the slogan was 'korbo, lorbo, jeetbo'... meaning Do, Fight, Win. KKR did the doing, did the fighting (as in SG trying hard in last 2 games), but have been losing (haarbo). Hence my humble suggestion of changing the slogan.
Sir, getting to approximately 50 percent of the target score in cricket is not known as fighting.

However, I realize that we may have failed to grasp the true significance of the slogan.  The 'lorbo' part may not have referred to fighting it out on the cricket field as I admit to thinking, but bickering within the team itself on different leadership theories. The 'Jitbo' part simpy means that King Khan Referee decides on a victor for each fight, and hence someone wins.

Actually I feel a little sorry for the guy. He seems to have bitten off more than he can chew, and is being taken for a ride. Of course, he may have contributed to the sorry state himself as is being alleged ... I don't know the details.

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song

How many KKR players would it take to change a light bulb?

I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. - (thanks, Hugh Gallagher)

ruchir

• Team of the Century

Sir, getting to approximately 50 percent of the target score in cricket is not known as fighting.

However, I realize that we may have failed to grasp the true significance of the slogan.  The 'lorbo' part may not have referred to fighting it out on the cricket field as I admit to thinking, but bickering within the team itself on different leadership theories. The 'Jitbo' part simpy means that King Khan Referee decides on a victor for each fight, and hence someone wins.

Actually I feel a little sorry for the guy. He seems to have bitten off more than he can chew, and is being taken for a ride. Of course, he may have contributed to the sorry state himself as is being alleged ... I don't know the details.

;D ;D ;D ;D

LosingNow

• Team of the Century

How many KKR players would it take to change a light bulb?

the same as # of economists ;D

gouravk

• Team of the Century
  • Which way will this ball swing ?

is brendon mccullum the biggest flop of this ipl ? :o
...Tvameva Vidya Dravidam Tvameva ... Tvameva Sarvam Mama Deva Deva !!

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song

It would be nice if some checks bounce.
I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. - (thanks, Hugh Gallagher)

LosingNow

• Team of the Century

till now, Flintoff... but it maybe BM by the time the tournament finishes

gouravk

• Team of the Century

well at least flintoff played a part in the one match we won ...  :D

ganavk

• Team of the Century

till now, Flintoff... but it maybe BM by the time the tournament finishes
KP has to take that slot..!

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
  • Thanda Thanda Kool Kool

I think this is all a bit overboard. Should riot acts be read out to Warne as well about his captain controls all model given that they are on exactly the same number of points as KKR? Or CSK for that matter, which has a much better balanced side?

Yesterday's defeat was not about anything that any system or captain or team spirit or anything could do - it was just about two GODS doing a jugalbandhi. Take that first wicket partnership out and there was nothing in the game.
Sachin Tendulkar gave the muhurat clap for 'Awwal Number' - that apart, he hasn't done much wrong in the last 20 yrs!

k-slice

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century

this was a dream game!! SRT and The Mumbai Indians Win and SG is top scorer for his team!! i am so happy!

gouravk

• Team of the Century

i am happy too !! for slightly different reasons ...

LosingNow

• Team of the Century

I think this is all a bit overboard. Should riot acts be read out to Warne as well about his captain controls all model given that they are on exactly the same number of points as KKR? Or CSK for that matter, which has a much better balanced side?

Yesterday's defeat was not about anything that any system or captain or team spirit or anything could do - it was just about two GODS doing a jugalbandhi. Take that first wicket partnership out and there was nothing in the game.
Nice.. oldest debating trick in the book - shift the topic..."what about the other guy".

Chasing 180+ even after the SRT/SJ blitz was possible.. ok, even if it was not possible - the  team should have scored 140 - 150.. but 95!! That has nothing to do with SRT/SJ blitz...and you will always find excuses that well the individuals are not doing their job etc.. the point is this team is not "gelling"...it has the talent to score 140-150, for sure, if not 180!

Even in SW's case, it is clear the team is punching way above its weight...and CSK's game was close, not a blow out and was at least a professional performance.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up