Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: IPL 2009 -- Match Thread 10 (RR vs KKR) Holders seek a turnaround  (Read 32273 times)

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
Re: IPL 2009 -- Match Thread 10 (RR vs KKR) Holders seek a turnaround
« Reply #280 on: April 23, 2009, 09:43:41 PM »

The mistake is the batting order

Which moron thought up this batting order ? Why did they send Hodge and Shukla before SG, thereby allowing the game to go to such a stage ?

And I agree with Suddz, Yashpal not only wasted 2 balls (penultimate over) but got himself out by trying to go for broke --unnecessary crap.

And then in the tie break instead of sending gayle and SG, they sent Gayle and McCullum.

Buchanan, Mott -- bereft of logic!!
I agree.. these guys are all theory (sort of like BHO :) )
Play with heart. Win with class. Lose with dignity

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #281 on: April 23, 2009, 09:45:41 PM »

Which moron thought up this batting order ? Why did they send Hodge and Shukla before SG, thereby allowing the game to go to such a stage ?

And I agree with Suddz, Yashpal not only wasted 2 balls (penultimate over) but got himself out by trying to go for broke --unnecessary crap.

And then in the tie break instead of sending gayle and SG, they sent Gayle and McCullum.

McCullum's batting reflexes are noticably slower now or lacking in concentration at any rate. His bat is always coming down a second too late it seems. Anyway, I hope he finds some form.

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #282 on: April 23, 2009, 09:46:30 PM »

Poor SG.. I really feel for him. All the hard work and no cigar. Specially  due the treatment that the coaching staff and management are meting out to him.

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
  • Thanda Thanda Kool Kool
« Reply #283 on: April 23, 2009, 09:50:40 PM »

Hodge should always bat ahead of SG. Maybe SG was held back to handle Warne and hence Shukla came in earlier. Given what Warney did to the likes of Kohli & co in the BRC match, I would be very jittery about Shukla facing up to him.

But, overall, this RR bowling appears very weak - so, should not have mattered. I wonder why Morkel is not playing ahead of the likes of Quiney and co.
Sachin Tendulkar gave the muhurat clap for 'Awwal Number' - that apart, he hasn't done much wrong in the last 20 yrs!

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #284 on: April 23, 2009, 09:52:50 PM »

Hats off to Warne.. i mean how can you have Kamran bowl 2 super critical overs. Banda apne bachcho pai gazab ka trust karta hai!!

gouravk

• Team of the Century
  • Which way will this ball swing ?
« Reply #285 on: April 23, 2009, 09:53:10 PM »

why ? because he belongs to a backward class and SG is princely or something like that ?
...Tvameva Vidya Dravidam Tvameva ... Tvameva Sarvam Mama Deva Deva !!

kban1

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #286 on: April 23, 2009, 10:11:54 PM »

Hodge should always bat ahead of SG. Maybe SG was held back to handle Warne and hence Shukla came in earlier. Given what Warney did to the likes of Kohli & co in the BRC match, I would be very jittery about Shukla facing up to him.

But, overall, this RR bowling appears very weak - so, should not have mattered. I wonder why Morkel is not playing ahead of the likes of Quiney and co.

And why should Hodge have batted ahead of SG ?

Its one thing to pronounce, but when that pronouncement is not backed by events on the field, it has little validity. Hodge is accomplished --but I just dont see the level of accomplishment that commands a place ahead of SG.

End of the day, stupid batting order was the cause for the loss.

gouravk

• Team of the Century
« Reply #287 on: April 23, 2009, 10:18:51 PM »

are i told you the reason .. hodge should bat ahead because he fits in the "reserved" quota ... ;)

Cover Point

• Cover Point
  • Team of the Century
  • Cover Point
« Reply #288 on: April 23, 2009, 11:05:48 PM »

SG did look good today. But there is a point that the bowling was really weak. The only bowler who could bowl at a decent pace was the rookie Kamran and he did trouble and eventually take SG.

I wonder if all the hulla bulla that bucky made was prompted by what he saw of SG in the nets and maybe that caused some concern that SG no longer can play quality fast bowling. (not that he was ever good against it)
Busting Gangulian chops since eternity.

inoc

• Team of the Century
« Reply #289 on: April 23, 2009, 11:16:57 PM »

SG did look good today. But there is a point that the bowling was really weak. The only bowler who could bowl at a decent pace was the rookie Kamran and he did trouble and eventually take SG.

I wonder if all the hulla bulla that bucky made was prompted by what he saw of SG in the nets and maybe that caused some concern that SG no longer can play quality fast bowling. (not that he was ever good against it)

if you think this to be true, could you pin point the bowler he may have played in the nets which caused this to be raised. ishant sharma may be one (?) if we go by your theory - but he didnt land in SA, till the day before the ipl began more or less (visa issues), let alone the kolkata camps. so who in your theory did SG face in the nets which qualifies as quality fast bowling to even start to make this judgement. remember he just finished playing quality fast bowling a few months ago with great aplomb.

I think you are making this up to suit yourself.

Cover Point

• Cover Point
  • Team of the Century
  • Cover Point
« Reply #290 on: April 23, 2009, 11:25:47 PM »

if you think this to be true, could you pin point the bowler he may have played in the nets which caused this to be raised. ishant sharma may be one (?) if we go by your theory - but he didnt land in SA, till the day before the ipl began more or less (visa issues), let alone the kolkata camps. so who in your theory did SG face in the nets which qualifies as quality fast bowling to even start to make this judgement. remember he just finished playing quality fast bowling a few months ago with great aplomb.

didnt  that hulla bulla start when they were still in India? I dont know who it could be ... but in the first game that he played , batting at 3 he was struggling against the fast bowler(s) and got out. So that tells me there could be somethhing they saw

inoc

• Team of the Century
« Reply #291 on: April 23, 2009, 11:32:44 PM »

and.......

i did watch the match today and here is the cricinfo commentary of the relevant balls. I didnt notice any trouble that SG faced against Kamran except the fact that he got out in the most inopportune moment.

9.6 Kamran Khan to Ganguly, no run, he's watchful outside the offstump, he safely shoulders arms

11.1 Kamran Khan to Ganguly, 1 run, opens the face of the bat and steers him down to third man

11.4 Kamran Khan to Ganguly, no run, the ball kicks up on Ganguly who first shapes to slice it and then decides to check his shot to point, hesitation in the running and Bangar struggles to get back and Kamran's throw is wide

11.5 Kamran Khan to Ganguly, no run

11.6 Kamran Khan to Ganguly, FOUR, that's vintage Ganguly! He gets width outside off and doesn't try to over hit it, he gets beside the line and slices it effortlessly past cover point

13.1 Kamran Khan to Ganguly, 1 wide, just drifts down the leg side and the fielders look a bit surprised at Benson's wide call, did that clip the trousers?

13.1 Kamran Khan to Ganguly, 1 run, lands it outside off and he taps it wide of mid-off

13.3 Kamran Khan to Ganguly, 1 wide, drifts down the leg side and another wide called, again Kamran thinks the ball clipped the pad, Warne;'s not too happy with this line

13.3 Kamran Khan to Ganguly, 1 run, stays at the crease and cuts uppishly wide of backward point

19.1 Kamran Khan to Ganguly, 1 wide, poor start, bowls it short and really wide outside off wide and Ganguly wisely lets it go

19.1 Kamran Khan to Ganguly, 1 run, drifts on the pads and he whips it to fine leg, Agarkar has the strike

19.3 Kamran Khan to Ganguly, no run, Kamran fires it on the blockhole outside off and Ganguly chases it and his bat hits the pitch, Kamran reckoned there was bat on ball, no Sir, not even close

19.4 Kamran Khan to Ganguly, 2 leg byes, nudges it softly towards midwicket and they scamper hard for the second run and Ganguly makes it

19.5 Kamran Khan to Ganguly, OUT, Oh boy what's happening here! Ganguly makes room and tries to slash a short and wide delivery and gets an outside edge to the keeper, Rawat asks the question but Kamran doesn't even look back, Ganguly can't believe what he's done

my personal feeling is that the contents of your posts are geared towards complementing your arguments, with either a nonchalance towards the actual events, in the guise of mirth or with serious lack of probity, which is sad.

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #292 on: April 23, 2009, 11:33:22 PM »

Shilpa shetty looks like she is sitting in a Astrophysics class...

;D ;D

;D ;D

With her sister !!

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #293 on: April 23, 2009, 11:45:39 PM »

Hodge ahead of Ganguly:

A) Hodge has a much better T20 record than SG - neither player has played much at the intl level but at the FC level, Hodge's record is very very good. It is unfortunate that KKR did not have his services for the full year in IPL 1

B) Hodge did better than SG in match 1 of this IPL on a difficult pitch

C) As I already mentioned, it makes sense to have someone like SG to tackle Warne in the middle to end of the innings.
Sachin Tendulkar gave the muhurat clap for 'Awwal Number' - that apart, he hasn't done much wrong in the last 20 yrs!

inoc

• Team of the Century
« Reply #294 on: April 23, 2009, 11:57:24 PM »

didnt  that hulla bulla start when they were still in India? I dont know who it could be ... but in the first game that he played , batting at 3 he was struggling against the fast bowler(s) and got out. So that tells me there could be somethhing they saw

that is exactly what I was referring to as well. The hulla bulla started in india and hence what he did in the first match in SA should not really be in the discussion here.

he was clearly not good in the first match, but was very good in the second innings he played. your opinion regarding his struggle against kamran is clearly not true.

so:

SG was so poor against the mediocre pace bowlers in the KKR ranks in the nets - as you suggest - led to the hulla bulla.

or

it was a smokescreen blown away by SGs knock yesterday.

it is of course a fact the people choose to believe what they want.

you had written in this DG that SG has passed his sell by date in 2006, and again now in 2009. the '06 statement had been answered, the '09 one is far from being answered but the inklings are there for some to see.

PS dont get me wrong I am not advocating either side here just wanting to clarify your stand.

ramshorns

• Team of the Century
« Reply #295 on: April 24, 2009, 12:55:02 AM »

This was like a must game win for KKR.   They already lost 2 games and the next game is versus the Chennai superkings a clearly better side than them.  Any team that has Akash Chopra and Sanjay Bangar hovering around 5 and 6 spots are doomed.  And what about Agarkar in the bowling line up.  I am not sure what the KKR brass did to address the needs of the team during the months preceding the IPL.  Looks like too much emphasis was laid on the leadership at the top than worrying about the rest of the pieces of the puzzle.  I am surprised Buchanan and SRK did nothing to address on the players front.  Theirs looks like the weakest roster of all on paper.  And also it was very puzzling to leave out Ajantha Mendis from the line up for the first two games unless he was injured or ill.  I see KKR crashing out faster than any other team. 

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #296 on: April 24, 2009, 01:10:30 AM »

KKR needs to get one more bat in and use Gayle as a bowler. I think their biggest problem is that Ishant looks nowhere close to world class in this format and Dinda was poor in the first 2 games - making them pick Agarkar. Once Gayle leaves, I think they may want to look at getting Mortaza in. But then the question is whether they have any Indian good enough to come in as a batsman. Maybe trying Saha or Yashpal up the order - saha would have recovered by then and he does open for Bengal in ODIs

gouravk

• Team of the Century
« Reply #297 on: April 24, 2009, 01:48:36 AM »

domestic records be damned. hodge doesnt hold a candle to ganguly as a batsman

kban1

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #298 on: April 24, 2009, 01:51:23 AM »

Hodge ahead of Ganguly:

This assumes special significance given that Shukla was sent at No 3. So one needs to read the batting order in context.

Now to the main issue:

A) Hodge has a much better T20 record than SG - neither player has played much at the intl level but at the FC level, Hodge's record is very very good. It is unfortunate that KKR did not have his services for the full year in IPL 1

Sorry, but now we are trying to differentiate too much. T20 is not much different than 40/50 over cricket in terms of skill sets or shots. The difference is negligible. Given SG's experience and accomplishments in limited overs cricket, this is not an argument that holds.

B) Hodge did better than SG in match 1 of this IPL on a difficult pitch

And Ganguly did better than Hodge in 3 consecutive practice matches on S African wickets. That one match is not and should never be the barometer

Given the fact that Ganguly played well in all of the practice matches, what we saw in the 1st match is more likely the effect of the mental turmoil that SG was going through --the aftershocks with regards to captaincy and the announcement of Mc as IPL captain less than 24 hours earlier.

C) As I already mentioned, it makes sense to have someone like SG to tackle Warne in the middle to end of the innings.

There is some validity to this and I will agree to this. But then again, this is a static analysis. because Warne can change the equation by bowling himself early when he sees that lesser players of spin are at the wicket. The better option would still be to send SG at 3 or 4 whereby he can play Warne irrespective of when Warne comes on to bowl.

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #299 on: April 24, 2009, 02:50:58 AM »

great game.
Absolutely..

Saw the replay of last over and then the super overs. What a game, brought life back into this IPL.

Man, you have to hand it to Shane Warne. The way he was supporting and coaching Kamran Khan while he was bowling those 2 overs.. incredible. The kid was smiling with confidence despite bowling wide..and SW said "don't worry".  KK kept shaking his head indicating that "he will do it, don't worry"... it was just sheer joy to watch a guru-shishya relationship at work in the middle of the field.

For all those arguing for coaches taking over the game.. this is how you coach in cricket. You put trust in your players, support them.. and they will find that intangible thing inside them to deliver.

Just think about this ..a 18 year old kid..with no FC experience.. did not give 7 runs in the last over of a crucial IPL match.

Infriggincredible!

Which captain would have taken this risk? Even today's MSD -with all the backing he has- would have not done this.

I am in a state of astonishment. Simply wonderful

gouravk

• Team of the Century
« Reply #300 on: April 24, 2009, 02:56:44 AM »

i think this ipl has been great so far even without this game.

flamy

• Under 19 Player
« Reply #301 on: April 24, 2009, 02:59:29 AM »

What a match!! Easily the best of both the IPLs so far.

ganavk

• Team of the Century
« Reply #302 on: April 24, 2009, 03:12:31 AM »

Poor SG.. I really feel for him. All the hard work and no cigar. Specially  due the treatment that the coaching staff and management are meting out to him.
:'(awww..how is that treatment different from the treatment meted out to VVS or RD! :icon_scratch: I did not see them sulking.

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #303 on: April 24, 2009, 03:15:31 AM »

Seriously, which laptop program or Sun Tzu manual would have said "bowl Kamran Khan" in the super over ;D

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #304 on: April 24, 2009, 03:22:15 AM »

:'( awww..how is that treatment different from the treatment meted out to VVS or RD! :icon_scratch: I did not see them sulking.

Is he sulking or letting his bat do the talking?

Look I have criticized SG in the past .. but in this case, JB/SRK et al are so screwed up in their thinking.. you have to pity him and the circumstance he is in. Despite all that, he is doing what he has to - bat and bowl.

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #305 on: April 24, 2009, 03:28:05 AM »

Theirs looks like the weakest roster of all on paper. 
;D ;D

This is the roster

BB McCullum, Abhisek Banerjee, Natraj Behera, Anureet Singh, M Hussain, ME Sanuth, AJ Shrikhande, AB Agarkar, RB Banerjee, SB Bangar, MA Cameron, G Chabra, A Chopra, IH Choudhary, AS Chowdhury, DB Das, AB Dinda, AP Dole, SA Gaekwad, SC Ganguly, CH Gayle, AN Ghosh, Y Gnaneswara Rao, MC Henriques, BJ Hodge, DJ Hussey, VA Indulkar, Iqbal Abdulla, SP Jackson, M Kartik, SS Lahiri, CK Langeveldt, AP Majumdar, Mashrafe Mortaza, AD Mathews, BAW Mendis, MB Parmar, CA Pujara, S Rana, WP Saha, DP Salvi, S Sanyal, SS Sarkar, SS Shaikh, I Sharma, LR Shukla, Sunny Singh, CR Suryavanshi, BD Thaker, RP Verma, KM Waingankar, Yashpal Singh
--
KKR team management is clueless - Exhibit A!!

teamindia

• Team of the Century
« Reply #306 on: April 24, 2009, 03:38:30 AM »

:'( awww..how is that treatment different from the treatment meted out to VVS or RD! :icon_scratch: I did not see them sulking.

Is he sulking or letting his bat do the talking?

Look I have criticized SG in the past .. but in this case, JB/SRK et al are so screwed up in their thinking.. you have to pity him and the circumstance he is in. Despite all that, he is doing what he has to - bat and bowl.

Actually SG should be happy with the result. He did his bit but the cochie and the phoren baba screwed it up. Does dildo have any answer?

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #307 on: April 24, 2009, 03:39:19 AM »

Kban, On the Hodge ahead of Ganguly issue

A) I disagree with your view that ODI skills can determine who is a better T20 player. Put Swapnil Asnodkar in an ODI squad - even in India - and he'll hardly have the same success as he had in the IPL last year. Yusuf Pathan is a match winner in T20, again unable to be called that in ODIs. I don't think Jayawardhane will be as good a T20 player as Dilshan despite being better in ODIs. The value of a high impact 20-30 is much higher in a T-20 - and that is not the basis on which SG has built his superior ODI record. Anyway, if you do not agree, I guess we'll just have to disagree on this one.

B) I would give far more credence to performance in an actual match where the pressure was fully on than practice matches where we do not even know the quality of the opposition. And, if I were to take your point that SG was mentally affected by all the captaincy and other issues, how can anyone (including the coaching staff) take a call as to when those would stop harming his game? If that were the case, all the more reason to push him lower.

C) Yes, Warne can adapt ...that is always how the game has been ...then you would hope that even if Warne got Shukla early, there is SG left in the dugout to come out and tackle him ...much better than had he been dismissed upfront by one of the pacers.

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #308 on: April 24, 2009, 03:45:39 AM »

SRK incites so much hatred, add Ganguly to the equation and you have a Pakistan of sorts  ;D

SRK yes , Ganguly no- the poor guy played his heart out...once again a player without basic cricket sense lost it for them...

??? ???

That idiot Yashpal Singh tried to hit out when ones and twos would have done it nicely

wasn't Ganguly's shot to get out more idiotic - he undid all his good work with that shot. At that time - 2 of 2 was required !!! All you need to do was tap and run both balls and you would have most likely been home. While Yashpal's shot was poor, he has no international experience. The loads of international experience IMO makes SG's shot at that stage even poorer. 

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #309 on: April 24, 2009, 03:52:00 AM »

I think SG's shot was fine - can he bank on his partner to put bat to ball on the last ball of the over?

If he erred, he erred in execution of that stroke and not upping the ante an over or so earlier. It is always better - esp when you don't have good batting partners - to not leave that much till the end.

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #310 on: April 24, 2009, 03:53:19 AM »

McCullum's batting reflexes are noticably slower now or lacking in concentration at any rate. His bat is always coming down a second too late it seems. Anyway, I hope he finds some form.

while BM coming before SG was a bad decision, it did not cost them IMO - he faced only 1 ball and gave the strike back to Gayle. In a super over scenario, I would put my bets on Gayle over SG anyday.

what cost KKR was the stupid Hodge trying to run in from long on and catch the catch going straight to long off fielder. Otherwise, with YP out 2nd ball, it would have been difficult for RR to make 10 of 4 balls.

Cover Point

• Cover Point
  • Team of the Century
  • Cover Point
« Reply #311 on: April 24, 2009, 03:55:56 AM »

Seriously, which laptop program or Sun Tzu manual would have said "bowl Kamran Khan" in the super over ;D

which was the wrong thing to do. and would have lost them the game if Bucky hadnt made a worse decision of bowling mendis.

While it made logical sense to have Kamran bowl the last over .... since Ganguly and the tail was around and it was clear that ganguly was having trouble facing real pace and tail always struggles against fast bowlers. So having KK bowl the last over made sense and to Kamran's credit he delivered.

It was moronic to give that same kid the Super Over and he almost lost them the game. His second ball was a marginal call that went his way. It could have been called a no ball any other day. He gave up three fours and a wide in the other balls he bowled.  Giving 15 is a terrible over really.  The difference this time he was bowling to a genuine batsman in Gayle. There were some strange fields too (No mid wicket).

Ofcourse with Bucky giving the ball to Mendis it made it moot. Did they forget that they use a new ball in the super over? How can a spinner be effective with such a new ball ... this a genuine spinner (and not the accurate type). Yes this was a tough one . Mendis was their best bowl in the regular game ... but I would have still given the over to Ishant. U can expect a strike fast bowler to keep u under 15 runs.

Bucky too has gone mad

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #312 on: April 24, 2009, 04:04:54 AM »

which was the wrong thing to do. and would have lost them the game if Bucky hadnt made a worse decision of bowling mendis.

While it made logical sense to have Kamran bowl the last over .... since Ganguly and the tail was around and it was clear that ganguly was having trouble facing real pace and tail always struggles against fast bowlers. So having KK bowl the last over made sense and to Kamran's credit he delivered.

It was moronic to give that same kid the Super Over and he almost lost them the game. His second ball was a marginal call that went his way. It could have been called a no ball any other day. He gave up three fours and a wide in the other balls he bowled.  Giving 15 is a terrible over really.  The difference this time he was bowling to a genuine batsman in Gayle. There were some strange fields too (No mid wicket).

Ofcourse with Bucky giving the ball to Mendis it made it moot. Did they forget that they use a new ball in the super over? How can a spinner be effective with such a new ball ... this a genuine spinner (and not the accurate type). Yes this was a tough one . Mendis was their best bowl in the regular game ... but I would have still given the over to Ishant. U can expect a strike fast bowler to keep u under 15 runs.

Bucky too has gone mad
It was logical for Warne to bowl Kamran. Due to the new ball, the choice was between KK, MP or Mascarenhas. The goofy MP was ruled out. Warne said later that he liked the way KK bowled that last over and went with him. 9 out of 10 captains would have gone with Mascarenhas (or even MP) as a "safe" (laptop) decision .. and that is my point.  You have to go with your gut.. MP (or even a AM) would have given 15+ runs.

Of course, Laptop Buchy did his analysis and got Mendis to bowl the over with a brand new shiny ball.

WicketView

• Team of the Century
« Reply #313 on: April 24, 2009, 04:13:45 AM »

Theirs looks like the weakest roster of all on paper. 
;D ;D

This is the roster

BB McCullum, Abhisek Banerjee, Natraj Behera, Anureet Singh, M Hussain, ME Sanuth, AJ Shrikhande, AB Agarkar, RB Banerjee, SB Bangar, MA Cameron, G Chabra, A Chopra, IH Choudhary, AS Chowdhury, DB Das, AB Dinda, AP Dole, SA Gaekwad, SC Ganguly, CH Gayle, AN Ghosh, Y Gnaneswara Rao, MC Henriques, BJ Hodge, DJ Hussey, VA Indulkar, Iqbal Abdulla, SP Jackson, M Kartik, SS Lahiri, CK Langeveldt, AP Majumdar, Mashrafe Mortaza, AD Mathews, BAW Mendis, MB Parmar, CA Pujara, S Rana, WP Saha, DP Salvi, S Sanyal, SS Sarkar, SS Shaikh, I Sharma, LR Shukla, Sunny Singh, CR Suryavanshi, BD Thaker, RP Verma, KM Waingankar, Yashpal Singh
--
KKR team management is clueless - Exhibit A!!
Do all teams have so many players? Not to mention so many 'never-heard-of-them' players?

broadbat

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • A Man With A View
« Reply #314 on: April 24, 2009, 04:16:13 AM »

Otherwise, with YP out 2nd ball, it would have been difficult for RR to make 10 of 4 balls.

I think the opening 6 nailed the match. 15 in 6 was a challenge but not impossible. DM could have easily converted the 10 in 4 if required. I would have gone with Ishant though especially after seeing that YP was to open.

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #315 on: April 24, 2009, 04:21:11 AM »

Nope. Warne made the only decision possible. Bowled the bowler who was the best on the day within the options that he had. He would not have given it to him if he had Morkel or Tait or Tanvir in the side. Picking someone over Masceranhes is no decision really - the guy is not even a proper bowler. Munna was having a horrible day. What option did he have.

Mendis was not that bad a choice - if only he had been able to get Jadeja on strike (who has not seen much of him), he may have pulled it off. But Yusuf was too good for him.

Blwe_torch

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • Last man standing
« Reply #316 on: April 24, 2009, 04:21:27 AM »

Kban, On the Hodge ahead of Ganguly issue

A) I disagree with your view that ODI skills can determine who is a better T20 player. Put Swapnil Asnodkar in an ODI squad - even in India - and he'll hardly have the same success as he had in the IPL last year. Yusuf Pathan is a match winner in T20, again unable to be called that in ODIs. I don't think Jayawardhane will be as good a T20 player as Dilshan despite being better in ODIs. The value of a high impact 20-30 is much higher in a T-20 - and that is not the basis on which SG has built his superior ODI record. Anyway, if you do not agree, I guess we'll just have to disagree on this one.

B) I would give far more credence to performance in an actual match where the pressure was fully on than practice matches where we do not even know the quality of the opposition. And, if I were to take your point that SG was mentally affected by all the captaincy and other issues, how can anyone (including the coaching staff) take a call as to when those would stop harming his game? If that were the case, all the more reason to push him lower.

C) Yes, Warne can adapt ...that is always how the game has been ...then you would hope that even if Warne got Shukla early, there is SG left in the dugout to come out and tackle him ...much better than had he been dismissed upfront by one of the pacers.

Wrong.
Ganguly stays ahead of Hodge, becoz he can carry the team to victory from any stage.......that is important. Hodge is a very good player, but I haven't seen him carrying the team to victory....the way SG has done before.
Even if you choose to limit your scope to 20-20 only, I can give you last years' Punjab-XI match, where Ganguly and Umar Gul, did the same.
KKR could have easily done the same today....all thanks to Ganguly, otherwise KKR had lost the match already.
I am not aware what Hodge has done or not done in his domestic cricket league, by virtue of which, one has to place him ahaead of SG.
I hear even Moses Henrique is a prodigy of sorts in 20-20....but I haven't seen anything of that on display....I would always select Ganguly to play for my team in any form of cricket ahead of such prodigies.

It is precisely the same muddled thinking of Buchanan, that is resulting in KKR's poor results in this tournament...and the last years' one.
SG is trying to out-shine the mediocracy around him. Gayle seems to be the only other bright spot.
I don't think...Buchanan will last more than another year....if all his theories result into loses.
Unfortunately, SG too won't last beyond that as a player...he too is getting old.

I just couldn't believe what he did yesterday...or that, he is still capable to produce the same magic. ::cheers:: ::cheers:: ::cheers::
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 04:27:46 AM by Blwe_torch »

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #317 on: April 24, 2009, 04:22:47 AM »

I think SG's shot was fine - can he bank on his partner to put bat to ball on the last ball of the over?

If he erred, he erred in execution of that stroke and not upping the ante an over or so earlier. It is always better - esp when you don't have good batting partners - to not leave that much till the end.

I don't agree. 31 from 24 became 7 from 6. With Warne bowling the previous over and Kamran bowling the last over, there was no need to up the ante anymore than what was done. I think it was not a good shot with just 2 of 2 needed.

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #318 on: April 24, 2009, 04:26:18 AM »

It was logical for Warne to bowl Kamran. Due to the new ball, the choice was between KK, MP or Mascarenhas. The goofy MP was ruled out. Warne said later that he liked the way KK bowled that last over and went with him. 9 out of 10 captains would have gone with Mascarenhas (or even MP) as a "safe" (laptop) decision .. and that is my point.  You have to go with your gut.. MP (or even a AM) would have given 15+ runs.

Of course, Laptop Buchy did his analysis and got Mendis to bowl the over with a brand new shiny ball.

you are mistaken. It is not a new ball !! The same ball was used continuing from end of 2nd innings, i.e., it was 20-over old ball.

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #319 on: April 24, 2009, 04:30:07 AM »

Bucky too has gone mad
Since you're typing out such long posts, I'm assuming you want the reader to come out of the post with something more than the "cp-ganguly" analogy...and yet, you cannot resist, which makes the rest of point just a big ol' joke that we simply cannot take seriously. why?!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up