Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: what does Chandrayaan mean?  (Read 18158 times)

flute

• Team of the Century
  • Mother India
what does Chandrayaan mean?
« on: October 17, 2008, 02:31:19 PM »

what does the word Chandrayaan  mean? I am disagreeing with the below meaning from rediff.

The name Chandrayaan means Chandra (Moon), Yaan (vehicle).

I think Yaan means travel/journey and not vehicle. I think all over the web based on google results mention it as vehicle but then the way it sometimes works is, everybody copies it from one source and all of them get it wrong. I think they got it wrong all over the web. Anybody with more insight on this?
Where the mind is without fear and the head held high;
Where words come out from the depth of truth;
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way into the dreary desert sand of dead habit;
let my country awake.

ruchir

• Team of the Century
  • WC03 Final - Ganguly is in pain after a fall
Re: what does Chandrayaan mean?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 02:44:41 PM »

what does the word Chandrayaan  mean? I am disagreeing with the below meaning from rediff.

I think Yaan means travel/journey and not vehicle. I think all over the web based on google results mention it as vehicle but then the way it sometimes works is, everybody copies it from one source and all of them get it wrong. I think they got it wrong all over the web. Anybody with more insight on this?

If yaan = Travel, what does Yatra mean?

prfsr

• Team of the Century
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 02:48:27 PM »

You are correct IMO. However, a Bengali would parse it as chandra + ayan.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_meaning_of_the_name_Ayan

Sanskrit meaning: Derived from the root i with cognates all over the Indoeuropean languages e.g. ειμι, iter, иду, signifying motion, one gets aYan, the act of going, or the path, and is used both literally and figuratively.

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 02:53:16 PM »

Yaan is a vehicle and yatra is journey.

Maybe in Telugu, yaan is journey. There are quite a few sanskrit-based words which are common in Hindi and Telugu but have different interpretations/meanings....and hence you are perhaps getting confused
Play with heart. Win with class. Lose with dignity

vincent

• Team of the Century
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 02:56:15 PM »

I think it is from Pali. Yan in Budhism - like in Hinayan and Mahayan - means vehicle. I do not know how it bacame "yaan".

flute

• Team of the Century
  • Mother India
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 02:59:18 PM »

Actually prfsr got it right. I think people are wrongly breaking it up into chandra + yaan, it is actually chandra+ ayan i.e journey to the moon ( in telugu it did be chandrayana)

One indisputable evidence is Ramayan ( ramayana in telugu & sanskrit). Ramayana means Rama's journey. Rama + aayana( journey).

WN, no it is not about hindi or telugu, I am talking about sanskrit root sounds,words.
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way into the dreary desert sand of dead habit;
let my country awake.

flute

• Team of the Century
  • Mother India
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 03:01:33 PM »

Maybe in Telugu, yaan is journey. There are quite a few sanskrit-based words which are common in Hindi and Telugu but have different interpretations/meanings....and hence you are perhaps getting confused
on the related note, can you elaborate on what sanskrit words you know which have different interpretations/meanings in telugu & hindi?
let my country awake.

flute

• Team of the Century
  • Mother India
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 03:03:07 PM »

also in hindi, do you ever use something like 'viman yaan"? we do use that in telugu which means viman journey. I am not 100% sure but I do recollect hearing viman yaan in doordarshan hindi samachar.
let my country awake.

Dayal Baba

• Test Match Star
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 03:04:34 PM »

Actually prfsr got it right. I think people are wrongly breaking it up into chandra + yaan, it is actually chandra+ ayan i.e journey to the moon ( in telugu it did be chandrayana)

wrong. it's chandra + yaan = moon vehicle.
chandra + ayan would be chandraayan, which is not the name.

flute

• Team of the Century
  • Mother India
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 03:06:17 PM »

why?
let my country awake.

Dayal Baba

• Test Match Star
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 03:07:13 PM »

why?

because the name of the mission is not chandraayan!

OldPal

• Team of the Century
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 03:16:07 PM »

Why this over complication :
Chandra = Moon
Yaan = Plane.
The  plane that takes you to moon. Yes it is sanskrit
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 03:20:58 PM by pankaj_t »

OldPal

• Team of the Century
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 03:17:00 PM »

Here as Dayal pointed :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandrayaan
Chandrayaan I (Sanskrit: चंद्रयान-1, lit: Lunar Craft)

flute

• Team of the Century
  • Mother India
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 03:25:04 PM »

Chandra = Moon
Yaan = Plane.
The  plane that takes you moon. Yes it is sanskrit
what complication? as far as I know, it can't be sanskrit because there is no such word in sanskrit.  either aayan became yaan in hindi with a different meaning or yaan came from different language ( may be pali) not sanskrit.

May be Dayalbaba is right, they named it in hindi and commonly known meaning in hindi for yaan is vehicle. At this point, I am not sure of the roots of the word yaan. May be it is from pali as vincent mentioned.
let my country awake.

flute

• Team of the Century
  • Mother India
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 03:27:19 PM »

Here as Dayal pointed :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandrayaan
Chandrayaan I (Sanskrit: चंद्रयान-1, lit: Lunar Craft)
if I had to believe wikipedia I wouldn't have opened this thread. I saw that post in wikipedia before I opened the thread. I wanted some insight from people who knew about these roots/sounds.
let my country awake.

prfsr

• Team of the Century
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 03:27:56 PM »

Chandra = Moon
Yaan = Plane.
what complication? as far as I know, it can't be sanskrit because there is no such word in sanskrit.  either aayan became yaan in hindi with a different meaning or yaan came from different language ( may be pali) not sanskrit.

May be Dayalbaba is right, they named it in hindi and commonly known meaning in hindi for yaan is vehicle. At this point, I am not sure of the roots of the word yaan. May be it is from pali as vincent mentioned.

We do think alike :) My thoughts were also that it does not seem like a valid word, so I assumed a slightly different spelling (as Dayal Baba pointed out).

OldPal

• Team of the Century
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2008, 03:32:33 PM »

Chandra = Moon
Yaan = Plane.

You are right. I take my points back. Those are incorrect
Rushed too soon to judgement. It can't be Chandra + yaan.
On a second thought I agree it is ChandraYan. i.e Chandr +aYan

Dayal Baba

• Test Match Star
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2008, 03:37:07 PM »

Chandra = Moon
Yaan = Plane.

you are rushing again.

http://spokensanskrit.de/index.php?script=HK&tinput=yaan&country_ID=&trans=Translate&direction=AU

flute

• Team of the Century
  • Mother India
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2008, 03:37:30 PM »

Chandra = Moon
Yaan = Plane.

now, now, I am not sure yet so you can't I am right yet. There is another problem. Dayal has a valid point, on ISRO site, they spelled it as Chandrayaan and not Chandraayan .

So, I request core hindi mother tongue folks, tell me
a. you guys ever heaar something like "viman yaan"?
b. is there any other occurance of yaan in a different context in hindi that you know about?
let my country awake.

flute

• Team of the Century
  • Mother India
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2008, 03:38:28 PM »

Chandra = Moon
Yaan = Plane.

We do think alike :) My thoughts were also that it does not seem like a valid word, so I assumed a slightly different spelling (as Dayal Baba pointed out).
prfsr saab, we usually do..you fail to recognize it thats all. :)
let my country awake.

flute

• Team of the Century
  • Mother India
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2008, 03:40:11 PM »

Chandra = Moon
Yaan = Plane.

you are rushing again.

http://spokensanskrit.de/index.php?script=HK&tinput=yaan&country_ID=&trans=Translate&direction=AU
so according to this link yaana means both journey & vehicle?
let my country awake.

Dayal Baba

• Test Match Star
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2008, 03:42:21 PM »

Chandra = Moon
Yaan = Plane.

you are rushing again.

yes, depending on the context.

flute

• Team of the Century
  • Mother India
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2008, 03:45:30 PM »

Chandra = Moon
Yaan = Plane.

you are rushing again.

yes, depending on the context.
how reliable is this site? also, this is a spoken sanskrit part..all sanskrit words have an original sounds/syllable from which different words are derived. I will try to find that root word, I have a feeling it might be aayana because humans knew travel/journey much before they had vehicles.
let my country awake.

ruchir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2008, 03:47:07 PM »

Meaning of Word - Yatra

http://spokensanskrit.de/index.php?script=HK&tinput=yatra&country_ID=&trans=Translate&direction=AU

---------------------

Many usages of word - Ayan

http://www.sarbadhikari.com/ayan/ayanmng.htm

---------------------

IMO both words are used for multiple meanings, whatever the speaker wants to use them as. Similar to the word "Sona". Sona can be used for sleeping and gold; two completely different usages of the same word.

Flute, in my life I have never heard the hindi usage "Viman Yaan", be it text books, TV, conversation etc. I have heard either Viman or Yaan individually used for Vehicle, but never together.

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2008, 03:51:37 PM »

Now I understand why people say "Narayan! Narayan!" when talking about the Tata nano.

I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. - (thanks, Hugh Gallagher)

ruchir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2008, 03:56:53 PM »

http://spokensanskrit.de/index.php?script=HK&tinput=ayan&country_ID=&trans=Translate&direction=AU

BTW, the word "ayan", according to this site means "Arrival", which makes sense because the hindi word with same meaning "Anaa" is kind of derived from "ayan".

Now, the word "Anaa" again has 2 meaning - Arrival and currency (like chaar anaa).

OldPal

• Team of the Century
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2008, 04:12:57 PM »

;D ;D ;D
OK. This time won't make decision.
It is either "Lunar craft" or "Journey to moon"  .
Yaan : While used in Hindi as Vayuyaan , seems like a borrowed word.
needs more research than wiki  ;D
DB while i see it in the link as newly added sanskrit word in URL, Still not convinced as "aYan" as in "Ramayan" has its own significance.

OldPal

• Team of the Century
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2008, 04:14:32 PM »

http://spokensanskrit.de/index.php?script=HK&tinput=ayan&country_ID=&trans=Translate&direction=AU

BTW, the word "ayan", according to this site means "Arrival", which makes sense because the hindi word with same meaning "Anaa" is kind of derived from "ayan".

Now, the word "Anaa" again has 2 meaning - Arrival and currency (like chaar anaa).
This theory is more convincing "Arrival on Mooon"  :icon_thumleft:

OldPal

• Team of the Century
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2008, 04:22:41 PM »

Should change the name to chandraYan instead of Chandrayaan. By the way if anybody finds compelling arguments, please post.

ruchir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2008, 04:36:28 PM »

Should change the name to chandraYan instead of Chandrayaan. By the way if anybody finds compelling arguments, please post.

http://www.isro.org/chandrayaan/htmls/about_chandrayaan.htm

Let us start from the beginning of why this question. The question Flute had, came up most probably because of ISRO's moon mission. Now, in English, ISRO is calling it "India's first mission to moon". This context would give more credence to "ChandraYan" - which would mean arrival on the moon. However, ISRO has been concentrating more on the spacecraft they have designed. They seem to be more excited about the spacecraft than the mission. Maybe because unless the spacecraft works, the mission won't succeed. So, from Spacecraft's perspective, "Chandrayaan" seems more appropriate name for the mission, since it relates to the vehicle that will fulfill the mission to the moon.

Now, we can't read the mind of whoever at ISRO came up with this hindi name, but chances are high that he probably was thinking of the spacecraft, when thinking of the mission name, rather than the mission itself.

WicketView

• Team of the Century
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2008, 05:10:36 PM »

Let us start from the beginning of why this question. The question Flute had, came up most probably because of ISRO's moon mission. Now, in English, ISRO is calling it "India's first mission to moon". This context would give more credence to "ChandraYan" - which would mean arrival on the moon. However, ISRO has been concentrating more on the spacecraft they have designed. They seem to be more excited about the spacecraft than the mission. Maybe because unless the spacecraft works, the mission won't succeed. So, from Spacecraft's perspective, "Chandrayaan" seems more appropriate name for the mission, since it relates to the vehicle that will fulfill the mission to the moon.

Now, we can't read the mind of whoever at ISRO came up with this hindi name, but chances are high that he probably was thinking of the spacecraft, when thinking of the mission name, rather than the mission itself.
Very likely true.

WicketView

• Team of the Century
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2008, 05:13:18 PM »

Now I understand why people say "Narayan! Narayan!" when talking about the Tata nano.
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Now is that plural or singlar ;)

flute

• Team of the Century
  • Mother India
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2008, 05:16:09 PM »

exactly my thought. Chandraayan makes more sense because the spacecraft that ISRO designed need not exclusively be for moon. its a spacecraft whichcan go any where, with enough fuel, they should be able to send it to some other object in space too. They call it moon mission, so journey to moon is the mission, not the vehicle.
let my country awake.

OldPal

• Team of the Century
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2008, 05:33:12 PM »

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Now is that plural or singlar ;)
Good one SSL.
 :icon_thumleft:
WV, how about two times singular.I mean two people come, one at a time. Ratan than Mamta.
But that has to be narayAn ! MadaAyan  :icon_scratch:

flute

• Team of the Century
  • Mother India
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2008, 05:33:31 PM »

ruchir, why are you spelling anaa ( currency) & anaa( arrival) same way?
Isn't the correct spelling as below?
Aana: arrival &
anaa: currency

Also, the correct root word for arrival is not ayan it is ayana. Only in Hindi, the last sound if trimmed not in sanskrit. for example, it is Rama in sanskrit not Ram.

I am also not sure of the arrival meaning for aayan. IMO, Aayana is the correct sanskrit word and the word has meanings like journey, travel, yatra meanings. This spokensanskrit site doesn't seem to be very reliable because it seems to confuse hindi & sanskrit and I see many hindi words in that site.
let my country awake.

OldPal

• Team of the Century
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2008, 05:45:18 PM »

Aana : currency ( chaar aana)
AAna : arrival ( Mera aana dekhkar tum vyathit ho gaye)
aAyan as in Gaayan e.g. used in word PashravGaayan do convey the similar meaning

flute

• Team of the Century
  • Mother India
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2008, 05:50:30 PM »

Aana : currency ( chaar aana)
AAna : arrival ( Mera aana dekhkar tum vyathit ho gaye)
aAyan as in Gaayan e.g. used in word PashravGaayan do convey the similar meaning
pankaj, are aana(currency) & aana( arrival) pronounced the same way? in telugu, we have anaa for currency and it is influence of urdu. I am fairly positive it is not sanskrit.

let my country awake.

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2008, 05:59:33 PM »

One indisputable evidence is Ramayan ( ramayana in telugu & sanskrit). Ramayana means Rama's journey. Rama + aayana( journey).

WN, no it is not about hindi or telugu, I am talking about sanskrit root sounds,words.
I know it is not hindi or telugu.. but your confusion is due to use of the same sanskrit word which has different meanings in Telugu and Hindi.
Telugu - Chandrayanam means journey to moon. Which is what you are linking everything back to.
Hindi - the intended usage of this word (by ISRO) is a craft or device or vehicle that takes one to moon.. Chandra-yaan NOT chandr-ayaan. (Ramayan  is Rama's journey or story of life.. it is not Rama-yaan  ..ram's vehicle!).

My colleague who is from Andhra and I grew up in Andhra.. and a couple of months ago I had the same debate/discussion with him on a variety of Sanskrit origin words that were used both in Telugu and Hindi but had different meanings/interpretations in Hindi and Telugu. They are escaping my mind now.. but as soon as they come back to me, I will post them.

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2008, 06:01:14 PM »

;D ;D
Journey of human - Nar-ayan or human vehicle - Nara-yaan!

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2008, 06:06:26 PM »

Exactly.. ISRO's Chandra-yaan is a HINDI word NOT a SANSKRIT word. In Hindi, Yaan is a craft or device.. it is not the journey.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up