Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: US Prez elections Goes down the Drain  (Read 3635 times)

achutank

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
US Prez elections Goes down the Drain
« on: October 16, 2008, 06:45:08 AM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27207215/

Ohio plumber becomes focus of debate
Meet Joe Wurzelbacher; he says he couldn't buy business under Obama plan

Jae C. Hong / AP
Sen. Barack Obama talks to plumber Joe Wurzelbacher in Holland, Ohio, on Sunday. Wurzelbacher's economic concerns became a central topic in Wednesday night's presidential debate.

updated 11:41 p.m. ET Oct. 15, 2008
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Who is Joe the Plumber?

He is Joe Wurzelbacher, an Ohio man looking to buy a plumbing business who came to symbolize the notion of spreading the wealth in Wednesday night's third and final presidential debate between Democrat Barack Obama and Republican John McCain.

Earlier this week, when Wurzelbacher got a chance to speak with Obama during a campaign appearance in Toledo, he told Obama that his tax plan would keep him from buying the business that currently employs him.

Story continues below ↓
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sensing an opportunity during the debate, McCain cited that exchange when the candidates were asked to explain why their economic plans are better than their opponent's. McCain said Obama's plan would stop entrepreneurs from investing in new small businesses and keep existing ones from growing.

"Joe wants to buy the business that he has been in for all of these years, worked 10, 12 hours a day. And he wanted to buy the business but he looked at your tax plan and he saw that he was going to pay much higher taxes," McCain challenged Obama.

"You were going to put him in a higher tax bracket which was going to increase his taxes, which was going to cause him not to be able to employ people, which Joe was trying to realize the American dream," McCain said.

Differences over tax policy
McCain then looked directly into the television camera and said: "Joe, I want to tell you, I'll not only help you buy that business that you worked your whole life for and I'll keep your taxes low and I'll provide available and affordable health care for you and your employees. And I will not stand for a tax increase on small business income."

Obama denied that was true.

"Not only do 98 percent of small businesses make less than $250,000, but I also want to give them additional tax breaks, because they are the drivers of the economy," Obama said. "They produce the most jobs."

So what did Wurzelbacher (pronounced whur-zell-BAHK-er) think about becoming the center of the debate?

"It's pretty surreal, man, my name being mentioned in a presidential campaign," he said minutes after hearing McCain utter his name.

In Toledo on Sunday, Wurzelbacher told Obama that he was preparing to buy the company, which earns more than $250,000 a year, and said: "Your new tax plan is going to tax me more, isn't it?"

Obama said that under his proposal taxes on any revenue from $250,000 on down would stay the same, but that amounts above that level would be subject to a 39 percent tax, instead of the current 36 percent rate.

"And the reason why we're doing that is because 95 percent of small businesses make less than 250 (thousand). So what I want to do is give them a tax cut. I want to give all these folks who are bus drivers, teachers, auto workers who make less, I want to give them a tax cut," he said.

Spread the wealth around
Wurzelbacher protested, saying he's been a hardworking plumber for 15 years and why should he be taxed more.

"It's not that I want to punish your success," Obama said. "I just want to make sure that everybody who is behind you that they've got a chance at success, too."

At a later point in the discussion, Obama said: "I think when you spread the wealth around, it's good for everybody. But listen, I respect what you do and I respect your question, and even if I don't get your vote, I'm still gonna be working hard on your behalf because small businesses are what creates jobs in this country and I want to encourage it."

Wurzelbacher's name came up again when the debate turned to a discussion of health care policies.

He said Obama's reaction on the tax question left him feeling uneasy.

"I didn't think much of it the first time I heard it," Wurzelbacher said, adding that he still thinks Obama's plan would keep him from buying the business.

About McCain: "He's got it right as far as I go."

Even so, Wurzelbacher declined to say which candidate would get his vote on Nov. 4.

"That's for me and a button to know," he said.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 06:57:51 AM by achutank »
there is more than meets the i

CLR James

• Team of the Century
Re: US Prez elections Goes down the Drain
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 08:17:59 AM »

Well, plumber it is! Right now, I don't think anyone is flush with money. It is the commodity culture you see! And it is going down the drain. The country is going down the tubes, and Bush is playing the pied piper of Kremlin. And all Mcpalin can think of is to tap offshore. The Dow is plunging, 401Ks are leaking, Main street is in deep waters, Wall Street is busy plugging holes, and news networks are flooded with anxious queries. Get Joe. Just don't give him a six pack while he is at work.

achutank

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 08:19:52 AM »

:)

CLR James

• Team of the Century
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 08:34:44 AM »

Meanwhile there is Obama. From Kenya, through measures genetic, USA has drained one brain that is brilliant to the occasion.

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 05:16:56 PM »

Ha Ha.. talk radio is full of "Joe the Plumber" today. BTW, he is not a plumber yet.. he wants to buy a plumbing business. (Edit: I was wrong about this)

whatever.. "spread the wealth around" is becoming the signature line for the next few weeks.. what impact it will have on the real election? IMO, probably not much, given Obama's headstart and ground organization... let's see.

--

..and here is the famous "Joe the Plumber". You gotta give it to the basic common sense and honest to goodness frankness of this average Joe

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=6047458
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 06:23:36 PM by winningnow »
Play with heart. Win with class. Lose with dignity

prfsr

• Team of the Century
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 06:24:27 PM »

Ha Ha.. talk radio is full of "Joe the Plumber" today. BTW, he is not a plumber yet.. he wants to buy a plumbing business. (Edit: I was wrong about this)

whatever.. "spread the wealth around" is becoming the signature line for the next few weeks.. what impact it will have on the real election? IMO, probably not much, given Obama's headstart and ground organization... let's see.

--

..and here is the famous "Joe the Plumber". You gotta give it to the basic common sense and honest to goodness frankness of this average Joe

WN:
Did you see the debates? Would you like to share your impressions?
 ;D

Cover Point

• Cover Point
  • Team of the Century
  • Cover Point
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 06:38:35 PM »

one thing i never understood is why 'spead the wealth around ' would be a bad thing? It would be good for poor (and uneducated) people like me to get some of that wealth that people like WN, Kban, Achu and KIC carry around :)
Busting Gangulian chops since eternity.

ruchir

• Team of the Century
  • WC03 Final - Ganguly is in pain after a fall

prfsr

• Team of the Century
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 07:16:50 PM »

Prfsr --

http://www.youdecide2008.com/2008/10/15/video-final-presidential-debate-from-hofstra-university-obama-mccain-watch-full-debate/

You can watch the whole debate on this link.

Thanks Ruchir. I saw the original (maybe except for 15 min) and we have it on DVR.  Kind of boring  ;D 

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 07:39:11 PM »

i wonder how this joe is going to buy a "big" business...cash or credit :)

CLR James

• Team of the Century
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 01:21:42 AM »

i wonder how this joe is going to buy a "big" business...cash or credit :)

Joe bhi milega..

achutank

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 09:09:36 AM »

one thing i never understood is why 'spead the wealth around ' would be a bad thing? It would be good for poor (and uneducated) people like me to get some of that wealth that people like WN, Kban, Achu and KIC carry around :)

right now i am only rich on experience boss :) you are welcome to experience me anytime bhubhiji ;)

Libran

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 10:16:42 AM »

I watched portions of the NY debate...

You guys are in for big trouble if McCain is in power... That guy has no business to be running for president...he is a poor man's rehash of Reagan...the only thing missing is a ring hat and 0.00005mm toy pistol

Cover Point

• Cover Point
  • Team of the Century
  • Cover Point
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 11:42:56 AM »

right now i am only rich on experience boss :) you are welcome to experience me anytime bhubhiji ;)

and those bricks of gold that you convinced KIC about :)

achutank

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 12:54:32 PM »

what's wrong with you!!!

i see your reputation signal has turned green

looks like there is a lot of wrk for you this weekend :D

here let me get you started

dada shows the way for india today  :icon_thumleft: :notworthy:

jai dada bengali!!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Cover Point

• Cover Point
  • Team of the Century
  • Cover Point
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 12:56:19 PM »

what's wrong with you!!!

too late. I already have a thread on his SR :)

Bhaiyya hum roti hi Gangulians se do step aage rehne ki khate hain :)

achutank

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2008, 01:06:00 PM »

what's wrong with you!!!

too late. I already have a thread on his SR :)

Bhaiyya hum roti hi Gangulians se do step aage rehne ki khate hain :)

sirji i am speechless wot2say

vincent

• Team of the Century
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2008, 02:21:48 PM »

--

As it turns out now he is indeed not a plumber insofar he does not have a license to practice. he also owes a lot in terms of rear taxes... So, his views were basically hypothetical like "if I would win the lottery I would not like to pay higher taxes".
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 05:05:06 PM by vincent »

prfsr

• Team of the Century
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2008, 03:48:59 PM »

Visit
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/10/16/221811/20/481/633104

McCain and Obama both read funny speeches.

PS: What a waste of speechwriters' efforts  ;D

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2008, 06:10:45 PM »

--

As it turns out now he is indeed not a plumber insofar he does not have a license to practice. he also owes a lot in terms of rear taxes... So, his views were basically hypothetical like "if I would win the lottery I would not like to pay higher taxes".

his tax returns show he earned 40k for the year...he falls into the bracket who would receive a tax break!!

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2008, 06:13:04 PM »

--

his tax returns show he earned 40k for the year...he falls into the bracket who would receive a tax break!!
Not a tax break - you get a break, if you pay taxes or have a tax liability.  He will most likely get a check from the government which he can spend on his health care, son's education etc
Play with heart. Win with class. Lose with dignity

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2008, 11:44:16 PM »

--

Not a tax break - you get a break, if you pay taxes or have a tax liability.  He will most likely get a check from the government which he can spend on his health care, son's education etc
but what if the tax brackets are changed permanently under a dem house/pres?

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
  • Thanda Thanda Kool Kool
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2008, 06:58:05 AM »

What wealth??
Sachin Tendulkar gave the muhurat clap for 'Awwal Number' - that apart, he hasn't done much wrong in the last 20 yrs!
Pages: [1]   Go Up