Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The scary side of America  (Read 3261 times)

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
The scary side of America
« on: October 09, 2008, 03:46:33 PM »

Republican supporters of Palin. Ruchir, any other non-white supporting Republicans, just think of how these people view you, a "middle-eastern" person:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjxzmaXAg9E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itEucdhf4Us
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 03:50:12 PM by dextrous »

flute

• Team of the Century
  • Mother India
Re: The scary side of America
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 04:49:24 PM »

lets not bring race into equation. just because some who support republicans are racist and may be racially biased towards us, it automatically doesn't follow that others should not support republicans. Personally, I support Obama, but your argument is not logically correct.
Where the mind is without fear and the head held high;
Where words come out from the depth of truth;
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way into the dreary desert sand of dead habit;
let my country awake.

prfsr

• Team of the Century
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 05:00:59 PM »

lets not bring race into equation. just because some who support republicans are racist and may be racially biased towards us, it automatically doesn't follow that others should not support republicans. Personally, I support Obama, but your argument is not logically correct.

Flute, what are you talking about? Dex said "these people" - people who made overt racial statements. The McCain camp has brought race into the picture. Not Dex.

flute

• Team of the Century
  • Mother India
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 05:06:42 PM »

Flute, what are you talking about? Dex said "these people" - people who made overt racial statements. The McCain camp has brought race into the picture. Not Dex.
I thought Dex's stand is that non-white supporters should not vote for republicans, no?
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way into the dreary desert sand of dead habit;
let my country awake.

prfsr

• Team of the Century
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 05:11:58 PM »

I thought Dex's stand is that non-white supporters should not vote for republicans, no?

I did not read that into the message.

I do not know if you were around but kban had alluded to this (without video evidence of course) aspect of the GOP in southern states in a discussion in which Dex, Ruchir, Rams, WN and I (among others) participated.

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 05:13:17 PM »

I do not know if you were around but kban had alluded to this (without video evidence of course) aspect of the GOP in southern states in a discussion in which Dex, Ruchir, Rams, WN and I (among others) participated.

I think the really scary part is that one of the videos shot is from Ohio...not even the deep south.

flute

• Team of the Century
  • Mother India
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 05:15:19 PM »

Oh ok. my bad then.
let my country awake.

cricinfo

• Team of the Century
  • Laxative Looses wicket
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 06:45:02 PM »

the guy shouting "Commie Fag***" sounded uncannily similar in tone one of the trolls hanging around in this DG
Laxman The Laxative Of Indian Cricket

flute

• Team of the Century
  • Mother India
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 06:52:44 PM »

the guy shouting "Commie Fag***" sounded uncannily similar in tone one of the trolls hanging around in this DG
leave it man..why drag this thread too into SG/anti-SG sewer..everybody is tired already.

Nagma, leave it daude..take it easy..too many SG threads/posts already..
let my country awake.

achutank

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 07:58:43 AM »

now you will wake up salim-javed  ;D
there is more than meets the i

ruchir

• Team of the Century
  • WC03 Final - Ganguly is in pain after a fall
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 06:28:22 PM »

Dex -

What about the racist black supporters of Obama? Is that the scary side of America or bright side? You think these voters love those whites who will vote for Obama? Just a question, since you are picking and choosing clips of those Republican voters. Yeah, I wonder what opinion members of Trinity church have of whites and Asians.

And to those who think McCain camp brought race into elections... they might try to remember an Obama speech, repeated many times by him, where he said (paraphrasing) "They will put fear into your minds... they will say he doesn't look like those appearing on dollar bills... that he has a funny name... oh, and did I say he is black?". Obama inserted race into politics way before anyone else did, so please don't waste your energy saying otherwise. Obama and his surrogates inserted race before anyone else could, to preempt any attack on him.

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 06:48:06 PM »

Dex -

What about the racist black supporters of Obama? Is that the scary side of America or bright side? You think these voters love those whites who will vote for Obama? Just a question, since you are picking and choosing clips of those Republican voters. Yeah, I wonder what opinion members of Trinity church have of whites and Asians.

Palin and McCain are inciting crowds; I'm not the only one saying it. Mainstream journalists are now commenting on that as well. From a purely selfish way of looking: as an Asian man, the sort of xenophobia being promoted in the rallies (wink wink, who is he, look at his name wink wink look at his color) can be very detrimental to my life in this country--and it will be detrimental to yours as well, whether you want to believe this or not.

cricinfo

• Team of the Century
  • Laxative Looses wicket
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 07:28:59 PM »

Dex -

Palin and McCain are inciting crowds; I'm not the only one saying it. Mainstream journalists are now commenting on that as well. From a purely selfish way of looking: as an Asian man, the sort of xenophobia being promoted in the rallies (wink wink, who is he, look at his name wink wink look at his color) can be very detrimental to my life in this country--and it will be detrimental to yours as well, whether you want to believe this or not.
Palin clearly tried to label OBAMA as a terrorist in one of her rallies when she said something to the effect "OBAMA hangs around with terrorists" ....that sound more like a comment from Nagma bhabi  commenting on SG than from a VP candidate 
Laxman The Laxative Of Indian Cricket

ruchir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 08:32:43 PM »

Dex -

I don't care what so-called mainstream media says. Mainstream media has failed americans horribly by not investigating BHO at all. Case in point - how come it was Fox news that came up with Rev Wright Clips that were being sold in Trinity church? How come no other so-called mainstream media outlet brought them up? IMO they are in tank with BHO, so I hear them and make my own mind. Anyways, my point is that if you are concerned about racism, it is on all sides, not just whites. So these clips don't give me any jitters. I get more jitters hearing Rev Wright.

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2008, 09:25:03 PM »

Dex -

I don't care what so-called mainstream media says. Mainstream media has failed americans horribly by not investigating BHO at all. Case in point - how come it was Fox news that came up with Rev Wright Clips that were being sold in Trinity church? How come no other so-called mainstream media outlet brought them up? IMO they are in tank with BHO, so I hear them and make my own mind. Anyways, my point is that if you are concerned about racism, it is on all sides, not just whites. So these clips don't give me any jitters. I get more jitters hearing Rev Wright.

Really? Why, has he called you a terrorist?

This "racism" is on all sides does not wash at all, given that Rev. Wright is of a generation where America was deeply prejudiced. I mean, to call him a flat out racist is just total disregard for American history.

And who cares about the preacher? If we did, Palin would've long been withdrawn. Witchcraft! War of God! My god.
And these clips aren't from mainstream media or fabrications, that's what's happening. These crowds are pre-dominantly white and picking on non-white. 

CLR James

• Team of the Century
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 09:57:26 PM »

Ruchir,

Blacks have traditionally supported the Democratic ticket for generations now. Obama's numbers in that constituency are hardly more than what Clinton, Gore, or Kerry got.

Now personalities aside, and associations aside (McCain could be easily linked to Keating, Libby, and people who bombed abortion clinics), what are the ISSUES that are driving you towards McCain?

ruchir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2008, 06:05:58 AM »

Ruchir,

Blacks have traditionally supported the Democratic ticket for generations now. Obama's numbers in that constituency are hardly more than what Clinton, Gore, or Kerry got.

Now personalities aside, and associations aside (McCain could be easily linked to Keating, Libby, and people who bombed abortion clinics), what are the ISSUES that are driving you towards McCain?

It is surprising you can't see black racism in America. In Dem primaries, blacks were voting 92% for BHO against HRC. Can you explain why is that so, if it is not racism?

As for issues, I don't know why people find it so hard to understand basic economics. Would you agree that it is the rich that create jobs in any country? Would you agree that it is business, big or small, that create jobs in any country? If you agree, read further otherwise there is no debate.

BHO wants to tax the rich (individual and business > $250K) heavily. Everyone seems to have bought into this nonsense. BHO wants to increase capital gains tax too. Another nonsense everyone has bought into. Don't tell me what his current views are on capital gains tax. He is on record saying that he will increase it. Anyways, which rich american would want to keep their investments in US when they know BHO administration will take a bigger share of it? Which business would like to keep their shop in US when they know BHO administration will tax their profits heavily? The more profits they make, the more they are taxed. BHO economic policy will ruin the country further. Already most manufacturing jobs have migrated outside. BHO will force remaining out too. And the kicker is that he says he will give tax breaks to those who bring job into US, and then says he will increase taxes on those making more than $250K. How can these two go together? Can anyone explain? Ireland is reducing taxes on business to invite more shops to be set there, more manufacturing units. US is going to increase taxes!!! What the hell!! BHO tax policy is a sure shot method of driving investors and businesses out of US. If investment and businesses move out, jobs are lost. If jobs are lost, income tax returns decrease and welfare dole outs like unemployment allowance increase. How does BHO plan to tackle this? Lost jobs means less purchasing power. Less purchasing power means economy in recession because of decreased sales.

Add to this nearly $1 Trillion in new spending. Where is going to find that money from? In first debate, when asked what programs you will cut since $750B is being used for bailout, BHO could not name one single program he would cut the spending on. Instead, he rattled of names of what he will NOT cut. Common sense question to BHO - where will he find $1 Trillion for his new public dole out spending programs? If Iraq war stops today, BHO will save $120B. That is $880B short. Increased taxes on rich will offset public dole out checks to remaining 95%. Where will $880B come from, to fund his public dole out programs? There is one way, actually. Instead of increasing taxes on 5% of working Americans, increase taxes on 100% of working Americans. Then he will have enough money to fund his universal healthcare and all other public programs.

BHO is on record saying that he is against Nuclear energy, coal, drilling. If he changes his position in the middle of a debate I am not going to believe him. I want to ask, if he is against all the above options, how is he going to reduce dependence on foreign oil? But installing wind turbines and solar panels? That technology is at least 20 years away from being feasible on large scale. What's gonna happen in those 20 years? France gets 70% of their power from nuclear plants. In US no nuclear plant has been setup in last 30 years and BHO wants to keep it that way. Heck, US will import nuclear tech to India, but will not employ the same here!!! What brilliant move by BHO. BHO says no to drilling but drilling can actually give US huge amount of CNG. If I was BHO, I would say drill baby drill. Drill for CNG. Convert all Trucks to CNG. 6 months later, convert all Taxis to CNG. 6 months later convert all govt vehicles to CNG. In the mean time force all car manufacturers to mass produce CNG cars and open as many CNG gas stations as possible. Market will surely come out with safe CNG converters for old cars (the type seen in India). Shift vehicles from petrol to CNG. This will reduce emissions too. But no, not BHO. BHO is simply against drilling, but he can change his mind in the middle of a debate and say he might be for drilling.

The less said about his foreign policy, the better.

ruchir

• Team of the Century
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2008, 06:15:26 AM »

When you start your political career from the house of a FBI designated domestic terrorist, you deserve to be called "palling around with terrorists".

This "racism" is on all sides does not wash at all, given that Rev. Wright is of a generation where America was deeply prejudiced. I mean, to call him a flat out racist is just total disregard for American history.

I don't care what generation Wright comes from. I live in today's America, not in 1960's. When I hear someone making those kind of remarks, in my eyes he is a pure and unadulterated racist, more so because he is a pastor. As a pastor, his primary job is to spread love and word of god, not hatred. And he didn't make those remarks in 1960s, he made them in today's America. I can see what kind of indoctrination BHO has got in those 20 years.

And who cares about the preacher? If we did, Palin would've long been withdrawn. Witchcraft! War of God! My god.
And these clips aren't from mainstream media or fabrications, that's what's happening. These crowds are pre-dominantly white and picking on non-white.

Sure, criticize Palin if she made those remarks in a racist tone. And those clips may be from anywhere, I don't care because they are designed to show Republicans in a bad light. Same thing can be done for Dems too. BHO cronies have done some weird polls and said that 1/3 of white democrats are against BHO because of racism. Do you believe that? What does that say about Dems?

CLR James

• Team of the Century
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2008, 07:03:38 PM »

It is surprising you can't see black racism in America. In Dem primaries, blacks were voting 92% for BHO against HRC. Can you explain why is that so, if it is not racism?

No it is not. 57 of white males support McCain. That does not automatically make that constituency racist (although some of the people in in are undoubtedly so).

As for issues, I don't know why people find it so hard to understand basic economics. Would you agree that it is the rich that create jobs in any country? Would you agree that it is business, big or small, that create jobs in any country? If you agree, read further otherwise there is no debate.

BHO wants to tax the rich (individual and business > $250K) heavily. Everyone seems to have bought into this nonsense. BHO wants to increase capital gains tax too. Another nonsense everyone has bought into. Don't tell me what his current views are on capital gains tax. He is on record saying that he will increase it. Anyways, which rich american would want to keep their investments in US when they know BHO administration will take a bigger share of it? Which business would like to keep their shop in US when they know BHO administration will tax their profits heavily? The more profits they make, the more they are taxed. BHO economic policy will ruin the country further. Already most manufacturing jobs have migrated outside. BHO will force remaining out too. And the kicker is that he says he will give tax breaks to those who bring job into US, and then says he will increase taxes on those making more than $250K. How can these two go together? Can anyone explain? Ireland is reducing taxes on business to invite more shops to be set there, more manufacturing units. US is going to increase taxes!!! What the hell!! BHO tax policy is a sure shot method of driving investors and businesses out of US. If investment and businesses move out, jobs are lost. If jobs are lost, income tax returns decrease and welfare dole outs like unemployment allowance increase. How does BHO plan to tackle this? Lost jobs means less purchasing power. Less purchasing power means economy in recession because of decreased sales.

This is basic economics? Says who? Is it so difficult for you to grasp a complex scenario? It is cheap and populist to say that one will not impose taxes, but how does one get rid of the budget deficits and balance it in the long run? Voodoo or by printing money and borrowing from the Chinese? Maybe Dick Cheney's solution appeals to you, that Reagan 'proved' that deficits don't matter (since they can always be foisted onto our children). Kindly also explain why, historically, it has always been the republicans who have screwed up the economy? I posted a generational study, spanning about eight decades a few weeks ago on this DG.

Obama is giving tax credits to more than 90 percent of the American tax payers. The rest 5 percent will not pay an astronomical amount. They will simply go back to the rates Clinton (and Reagan and Bush senior before him) imposed. What is being ended is simply the tax holiday Bush gave his rich fat cats. Anyway, forget me, when it comes to economics, why do most experts support the Obama plan overwhelmingly over what McCain has to offer? The Economist (not a liberal rag by a wide margin) ran this study. McCain lost even among republican economists!

Add to this nearly $1 Trillion in new spending. Where is going to find that money from? In first debate, when asked what programs you will cut since $750B is being used for bailout, BHO could not name one single program he would cut the spending on. Instead, he rattled of names of what he will NOT cut. Common sense question to BHO - where will he find $1 Trillion for his new public dole out spending programs? If Iraq war stops today, BHO will save $120B. That is $880B short. Increased taxes on rich will offset public dole out checks to remaining 95%. Where will $880B come from, to fund his public dole out programs? There is one way, actually. Instead of increasing taxes on 5% of working Americans, increase taxes on 100% of working Americans. Then he will have enough money to fund his universal healthcare and all other public programs.

In the circumstances, he has to prioritize. He has said so himself. Spending has to continue in some areas. What do we do? Stop exploring energy alternatives? Stop education? Not repair collapsing bridges? The one trillion is a long term projection, to be spent gradually, in line with a vision (like energy independence in 10 years). What vision does McCain have? How has he addressed the current crisis apart from his theatricals, spouting twentieth century cliches, and dropping a mortgage buy out plan that is absolutely utopian as far as government spending is concerned. Anyway, as far as vision is concerned, even the fiscal republicans and conservative economists are calling the bluff of the GOP candidate.

BHO is on record saying that he is against Nuclear energy, coal, drilling. If he changes his position in the middle of a debate I am not going to believe him. I want to ask, if he is against all the above options, how is he going to reduce dependence on foreign oil? But installing wind turbines and solar panels? That technology is at least 20 years away from being feasible on large scale. What's gonna happen in those 20 years? France gets 70% of their power from nuclear plants. In US no nuclear plant has been setup in last 30 years and BHO wants to keep it that way. Heck, US will import nuclear tech to India, but will not employ the same here!!! What brilliant move by BHO. BHO says no to drilling but drilling can actually give US huge amount of CNG. If I was BHO, I would say drill baby drill. Drill for CNG. Convert all Trucks to CNG. 6 months later, convert all Taxis to CNG. 6 months later convert all govt vehicles to CNG. In the mean time force all car manufacturers to mass produce CNG cars and open as many CNG gas stations as possible. Market will surely come out with safe CNG converters for old cars (the type seen in India). Shift vehicles from petrol to CNG. This will reduce emissions too. But no, not BHO. BHO is simply against drilling, but he can change his mind in the middle of a debate and say he might be for drilling.

Six months! Drilled fuel will take at least a decade or more to affect oil prices. Once again, see beyond the GOP window dressing and sloganeering and hear what the experts say. Obama never said that he was against nuclear. He is for clean coal, but is in general not very keen on burning hydro-carbons. He thinks about the environment you see. Anyway, overall, most people agree that energy is Obama's strong suit.

Oh really? How is it different, philosophy wise, from Bush's? We know how that worked! And why is it that people in most advanced democracies across the world support Obama?

Lastly, I find it curious that you do not miss an opportunity to stress on Obama's middle name.

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2008, 07:20:59 PM »

i may be too far away to know, but these days arent republicans the butt of pretty much all jokes? how can they not be?
In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in a clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness. Our life is a long and arduous quest after Truth.
-- Mohandas K *hi

prfsr

• Team of the Century
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2008, 09:06:03 PM »

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2008/10/john-mccain-ral.html

The Times' Maeve Reston was at the event, and she passed along the key passage from Conrad's words:

I would also pray Lord that your reputation is involved in all that happens between now and November, because there are millions of people around this world praying to their God -- whether it's Hindu, Buddha, Allah -- that his [McCain’s] opponent wins for a variety of reasons.

And Lord I pray that you would guard your own reputation, because they’re going to think that their god is bigger than you, if that happens. So I pray that you would step forward and honor your own name in all that happens between now and Election Day.

Oh Lord, we just commit this time to you, move among us, make your presence very well felt as we are gathered here today in Jesus's name I pray.

Some in the crowd greeted the prayer with applause.

CLR James

• Team of the Century
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2008, 02:46:11 AM »

i may be too far away to know, but these days arent republicans the butt of pretty much all jokes? how can they not be?

They are not the butt of jokes; they are the jokes.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 03:31:44 AM by CLR James »

WicketView

• Team of the Century
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2008, 03:49:36 AM »

When you start your political career from the house of a FBI designated domestic terrorist, you deserve to be called "palling around with terrorists".
Fortunately, most of the world does not think so.

In my opinion, one of the cornerstones of civilization is that the society tries or at least hopes to try to forgive criminals, after the agreed upon sentence. The idea is to give criminals a chance to rehabilitate, correct their wrongs and contribute constructively to the society.  In another thread, we talked about Ramayana, and while I can't remember if you had said something about Valmiki, it was clear that you believe in Ramayana being great. I don't know the status of historical evidence on Valmiki, but I do believe that either (a) he being a converted dacoit should be taken as evidence that a criminal can convert or (b) was constructed so that people kept in mind this possibility. (I know you will bring up the issue of penitence, and yes there is a difference there). Still Ayers, seems to have left his criminal days behind, and has been organizing charity to help the poor. Why is it not right to join such endeavours. Now, if you can show, that Obama was involved in some secret nefarious activity that would be a totally different matter.

WicketView

• Team of the Century
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2008, 04:13:15 AM »

Ruchir,

General comment (don't want to debate energy options): It would be interesting to see if the president can actually turn on nuclear plants in the US. There is a huge public fear since the time of the three mile island accident. And there is the question of nuclear waste, unless the federal govt. can come up with a way of sweeting the deal with Nevada it will be hard to implement.

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2008, 03:00:11 PM »

Ruchir:
3 things...
(a) the terrorist slogans going on at GOP meetings have very little to do with ayers; no, they are an insinuation that obama is with THAT OTHER type of terrorists.
(b) don't repeat what republicans say...obama served on a board with ayears, a board that fox claims was a radical leftist org (LOL)...actually chaired by a conservative republican
(c) ayers is a professor now and was given a civilian award in 1997
(d) the fact that he's called a "terrorist" by fbi should tell you something. once again i ask you to please watch the documentary weather underground. this was an era where cia/fbi were a corrupt powerhungry group and surely you know of the nefarious deeds of these organizations in assassinating domestic (peaceful) anti-war activists, opposition party leaders. after all, MLK was pretty damn close to being killed or labelled a terrorist and the only reason that couldn't be done was bc of his popularity. to just totally disregard american history and say this guy is a terrorist because fbi in 60s said so is plain naive and politically motivated. At a time when America was being run like a fasicst state, weather underground, a group of youngsters stood up to the government without harming a single civilian (except 2 of their own who died in an accident).

There's a reason FBI couldn't do anything to them after they surrendered. Bc it was a beeped up institute.
Pages: [1]   Go Up