Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this woman fit to be the leader of Sierra Leone? (NC obv)  (Read 3350 times)

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century

vijay

• Test Match Star
Re: Is this woman fit to be the leader of Sierra Leone? (NC obv)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 06:29:07 PM »

The McCain campaign staff guys have crammed her head with junk and messed her up.

CLR James

• Team of the Century
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 07:27:10 PM »

Why not? She shoots well, gets along with witch doctors, and perhaps wants to start another civil war in the United States (with them uppity Northern types).

prfsr

• Team of the Century
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 10:24:39 PM »

Our desi friend Fareed on her

http://www.newsweek.com/id/161204/page/1

WORLD VIEW Fareed Zakaria
Palin Is Ready? Please.

McCain says that he always puts country first. In this important case, that is simply not true.

Published Sep 27, 2008

Will someone please put Sarah Palin out of her agony? Is it too much to ask that she come to realize that she wants, in that wonderful phrase in American politics, "to spend more time with her family"? Having stayed in purdah for weeks, she finally agreed to a third interview. CBS's Katie Couric questioned her in her trademark sympathetic style. It didn't help. When asked how living in the state closest to Russia gave her foreign-policy experience, Palin responded thus:

"It's very important when you consider even national-security issues with Russia as Putin rears his head and comes into the airspace of the United States of America. Where—where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border. It is from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there. They are right next to—to our state."

There is, of course, the sheer absurdity of the premise. Two weeks ago I flew to Tokyo, crossing over the North Pole. Does that make me an expert on Santa Claus? (Thanks, Jon Stewart.) But even beyond that, read the rest of her response. "It is from Alaska that we send out those …" What does this mean? This is not an isolated example. Palin has been given a set of talking points by campaign advisers, simple ideological mantras that she repeats and repeats as long as she can. ("We mustn't blink.") But if forced off those rehearsed lines, what she has to say is often, quite frankly, gibberish.

Couric asked her a smart question about the proposed $700 billion bailout of the American financial sector. It was designed to see if Palin understood that the problem in this crisis is that credit and liquidity in the financial system has dried up, and that that's why, in the estimation of Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson and Fed chairman Ben Bernanke, the government needs to step in to buy up Wall Street's most toxic liabilities. Here's the entire exchange:

COURIC: Why isn't it better, Governor Palin, to spend $700 billion helping middle-class families who are struggling with health care, housing, gas and groceries; allow them to spend more and put more money into the economy instead of helping these big financial institutions that played a role in creating this mess?

PALIN: That's why I say I, like every American I'm speaking with, were ill about this position that we have been put in where it is the taxpayers looking to bail out. But ultimately, what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the health-care reform that is needed to help shore up our economy, helping the—it's got to be all about job creation, too, shoring up our economy and putting it back on the right track. So health-care reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions and tax relief for Americans. And trade, we've got to see trade as opportunity, not as a competitive, scary thing. But one in five jobs being created in the trade sector today, we've got to look at that as more opportunity. All those things under the umbrella of job creation. This bailout is a part of that.

This is nonsense—a vapid emptying out of every catchphrase about economics that came into her head. Some commentators, like CNN's Campbell Brown, have argued that it's sexist to keep Sarah Palin under wraps, as if she were a delicate flower who might wilt under the bright lights of the modern media. But the more Palin talks, the more we see that it may not be sexism but common sense that's causing the McCain campaign to treat her like a time bomb.

Can we now admit the obvious? Sarah Palin is utterly unqualified to be vice president. She is a feisty, charismatic politician who has done some good things in Alaska. But she has never spent a day thinking about any important national or international issue, and this is a hell of a time to start. The next administration is going to face a set of challenges unlike any in recent memory. There is an ongoing military operation in Iraq that still costs $10 billion a month, a war against the Taliban in Afghanistan and Pakistan that is not going well and is not easily fixed. Iran, Russia and Venezuela present tough strategic challenges.

Domestically, the bailout and reform of the financial industry will take years and hundreds of billions of dollars. Health-care costs, unless curtailed, will bankrupt the federal government. Social Security, immigration, collapsing infrastructure and education are all going to get much worse if they are not handled soon.

And the American government is stretched to the limit. Between the Bush tax cuts, homeland-security needs, Iraq, Afghanistan and the bailout, the budget is looking bleak. Plus, within a few years, the retirement of the baby boomers begins with its massive and rising costs (in the trillions).

Obviously these are very serious challenges and constraints. In these times, for John McCain to have chosen this person to be his running mate is fundamentally irresponsible. McCain says that he always puts country first. In this important case, it is simply not true.

prfsr

• Team of the Century
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 12:35:07 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/27/opinion/27herbert.html?_r=1&em&oref=slogin

The country is understandably focused on the financial crisis. But there is another serious issue in front of us that is not getting nearly enough attention, and that’s whether Sarah Palin is qualified to be vice president — or, if the situation were to arise, president of the United States.

History has shown again and again that a vice president must be ready to assume command of the ship of state on a moment’s notice. But Ms. Palin has given no indication yet that she is capable of handling the monumental responsibilities of the presidency if she were called upon to do so.

In fact, the opposite is the case. We know that there are some parts of Alaska from which, if the day is clear and your eyesight is good, you can actually see Russia. But the infantile repetition of this bit of trivia as some kind of foreign policy bona fide for a vice presidential candidate should give us pause.

The McCain campaign has done its bizarre best to shield Ms. Palin from any sustained media examination of her readiness for the highest offices in the land, and no wonder. She has been an embarrassment in interviews.

But the idea that the voters of the United States might install someone in the vice president’s office who is too unprepared or too intellectually insecure to appear on, say, “Meet the Press” or “Face the Nation” is mind-boggling.

The alarm bells should be clanging and warning lights flashing. You wouldn’t put an unqualified pilot in the cockpit of a jetliner. The potential for catastrophe is far, far greater with an unqualified president.

The United States has been lucky in terms of the qualifications of the vice presidents who have had to step in over the last several decades for presidents who either died or, in Richard Nixon’s case, were forced to leave office. Harry Truman and Lyndon Johnson became extraordinary presidents in their own right. Gerald Ford successfully guided the nation through the immediate aftermath of one of the most traumatic political crises in its history.

For those who think Sarah Palin is in that league, there is no problem. But her unscripted public appearances would lead most honest observers to think otherwise. When asked again this week about her puerile linkage of foreign policy proficiency and Alaska’s proximity to Russia, this time by Katie Couric of CBS News, here is what Ms. Palin said she meant:

“That Alaska has a very narrow maritime border between a foreign country, Russia, and on our other side, the land — boundary that we have with — Canada.”

She went on, but lost her way midsentence: “It’s funny that a comment like that was kind of made to — cari — I don’t know, you know? Reporters ...”

Ms. Couric said, “Mocked?”

“Yeah, mocked,” said Ms. Palin. “I guess that’s the word. Yeah.”

It is not just painful, but frightening to watch someone who could become the vice president of the United States stumbling around like this in an interview.

Ms. Couric asked Ms. Palin to explain how Alaska’s proximity to Russia “enhances your foreign policy credentials.”

“Well, it certainly does,” Ms. Palin replied, “because our, our next-door neighbors are foreign countries, there in the state that I am the executive of. And there—”

Gently interrupting, Ms. Couric asked, “Have you ever been involved in any negotiations, for example, with the Russians?”

“We have trade missions back and forth,” said Ms. Palin. “We do. It’s very important when you consider even national security issues with Russia. As Putin rears his head and comes into the airspace of the United States of America, where do they go? It’s Alaska. It’s just right over the border. It is from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there. They are right next to our state.”

It was surreal, the kind of performance that would generate a hearty laugh if it were part of a Monty Python sketch. But this is real life, and the stakes couldn’t be higher. As Ms. Palin was fumbling her way through the Couric interview, the largest bank failure in the history of the United States, the collapse of Washington Mutual, was occurring.

The press has an obligation to hammer away at Ms. Palin’s qualifications. If it turns out that she has just had a few bad interviews because she was nervous or whatever, additional scrutiny will serve her well.

If, on the other hand, it becomes clear that her performance, so far, is an accurate reflection of her qualifications, it would behoove John McCain and the Republican Party to put the country first — as Mr. McCain loves to say — and find a replacement for Ms. Palin on the ticket.

pipsqueak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 06:33:46 AM »

[url=http://www.alternet.org/election08/100551/mad_dog_palin_/?page=entire]http://www.alternet.org/election08/100551/mad_dog_palin_/?page=entire
[/url]

"Here's the thing about Americans. You can send their kids off by the thousands to get their balls blown off in foreign lands for no reason at all, saddle them with billions in debt year after congressional year while they spend their winters cheerfully watching game shows and football, pull the rug out from under their mortgages, and leave them living off their credit cards and their Wal-Mart salaries while you move their jobs to China and Bangalore.

And none of it matters, so long as you remember a few months before Election Day to offer them a two-bit caricature culled from some cutting-room-floor episode of Roseanne as part of your presidential ticket. And if she's a good enough likeness of a loudmouthed middle-American archetype, as Sarah Palin is, John Q. Public will drop his giant-size bag of Doritos in gratitude, wipe the Sizzlin' Picante dust from his lips and rush to the booth to vote for her. Not because it makes sense, or because it has a chance of improving his life or anyone else's, but simply because it appeals to the low-humming narcissism that substitutes for his personality, because the image on TV reminds him of the mean, brainless slob he sees in the mirror every morning."

"Palin had given TV audiences a character infinitely recognizable to virtually every American: the small-town girl with just enough looks and a defiantly incurious mind who thinks the PTA minutes are Holy Writ, and injustice means the woman next door owning a slightly nicer set of drapes or flatware."

« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 07:41:22 AM by pipsqueak »

cricinfo

• Team of the Century
  • Laxative Looses wicket
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 12:26:57 PM »

I am convinced Katie Couric is a better VC candidate
Laxman The Laxative Of Indian Cricket

flute

• Team of the Century
  • Mother India
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 02:06:21 PM »

God save USA if Mc Cain happens to win and then dies within an year of his election.  :)

I am willing to bet that I will go back to India for good if it happens. :)
Where the mind is without fear and the head held high;
Where words come out from the depth of truth;
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way into the dreary desert sand of dead habit;
let my country awake.

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 03:11:26 PM »

God save USA if Mc Cain happens to win and then dies within an year of his election.  :)

Great, I think India needs all the bright minds she can get. Please help the country.

flute

• Team of the Century
  • Mother India
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 04:02:28 PM »

Great, I think India needs all the bright minds she can get. Please help the country.
:D
please don't put this quote of yours in my biography. I am looking for broaded minded people with perspective ( the sun, the moon and the stars  ;D), who are  capable of rational, independent thinking on various issues/views to contribute their quotes for my biography. 

On the other hand, one question. If you need material for your biography, why not ask relevant questions on relevant threads, why carry your unfinished understanding from one thread into another? are you incapable of separating view/opinion  from the poster?
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way into the dreary desert sand of dead habit;
let my country awake.

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 05:10:05 PM »

who are  capable of rational, independent thinking
..and by calling Hinduism the dirtiest religion (based on random anecdotal evidence) ..you are contributing to the rational, independent debate  :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:
Play with heart. Win with class. Lose with dignity

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 05:12:52 PM »

please don't put this quote of yours in my biography. I am looking for broaded minded people with perspective ( the sun, the moon and the stars  ;D), who are  capable of rational, independent thinking on various issues/views to contribute their quotes for my biography. 

On the other hand, one question. If you need material for your biography, why not ask relevant questions on relevant threads, why carry your unfinished understanding from one thread into another? are you incapable of separating view/opinion  from the poster?

Here's your biography: "He lived." The end.

flute

• Team of the Century
  • Mother India
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 05:55:45 PM »

who are  capable of rational, independent thinking
..and by calling Hinduism the dirtiest religion (based on random anecdotal evidence) ..you are contributing to the rational, independent debate  :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:
yes  ::cheers::
let my country awake.

flute

• Team of the Century
  • Mother India
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 09:12:19 PM »

Here's your biography: "He lived." The end.
don't be shy about it. Apparently you are still working on it, if not why will you follow me on to each thread where I post and come up questions like "did congress reject ticket" , "your spiritual journey" etc. Don't worry, I won't divulge too many explosive details, you have to sell your book afterall  :D
let my country awake.

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century

pipsqueak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2008, 11:05:53 PM »

"As we send our young men and women overseas in a war zone to fight for democracy and freedoms, including freedom of the press, we've really got to have a mutually beneficial relationship here with those fighting the freedom of the press, and then the press, though not taking advantage and exploiting a situation, perhaps they would want to capture and abuse the privilege. We just want truth, we want fairness, we want balance."

???  ???  ???  ???

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/10/do-over-palin-a.html

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 06:22:45 AM »

"As we send our young men and women overseas in a war zone to fight for democracy and freedoms, including freedom of the press, we've really got to have a mutually beneficial relationship here with those fighting the freedom of the press, and then the press, though not taking advantage and exploiting a situation, perhaps they would want to capture and abuse the privilege. We just want truth, we want fairness, we want balance."

???  ???  ???  ???

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/10/do-over-palin-a.html

:love7: :love7:

I love Palin.
In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in a clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness. Our life is a long and arduous quest after Truth.
-- Mohandas K *hi

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2008, 07:24:41 PM »

go here and vote no:
http://www.pbs.org/now/polls/poll-435.html

is palin qualified to be vp? the right wingers have flooded this poll!!

flute

• Team of the Century
  • Mother India
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2008, 08:22:04 PM »

go here and vote no:

what difference does it make?
let my country awake.

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2008, 08:52:57 PM »

go here and vote no:

stop following me to every thread.

flute

• Team of the Century
  • Mother India
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2008, 09:05:29 PM »

go here and vote no:

stop following me to every thread.
:icon_smile:
let my country awake.

chinaman

• A Team
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2008, 11:36:38 PM »

Why is there an ad for the McCain-Palin ticket on cricketvoice.com?

(This one was "a proven maverick" with the Palin mugshot)

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2008, 12:01:09 AM »

Why is there an ad for the McCain-Palin ticket on cricketvoice.com?

(This one was "a proven maverick" with the Palin mugshot)

probably bc there are palin threads everywhere!

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2008, 12:01:38 AM »

...oh and each time you click on it, you can cost republicans some money
Pages: [1]   Go Up