Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: One more Gold for Usain Bolt, One more world record  (Read 4670 times)

xiexie

• One Day Star
One more Gold for Usain Bolt, One more world record
« on: August 22, 2008, 02:46:15 PM »

Usain Bolt and Jamaica win the 4*100 relay in a world record time of 37.10 smashing a 15 year old record. Amazing man this Bolt and team Jamaica is extraordinary.

feverpitch

• Team of the Century
  • Capitalism's final crisis (cartoon from 1969)
Re: One more Gold for Usain Bolt, One more world record
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 03:25:58 PM »

It's a pity the jamaican womens team failed to repeat their 1-2-3 (in the individual 100 m) while muffing their 4x100 chances in the final... what a calypso-wash of usa that would have been...
"Every rise of fascism bears witness to a failed revolution."
Walter Benjamin

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 03:29:52 PM »

It's a pity the jamaican womens team failed to repeat their 1-2-3 (in the individual 100 m) while muffing their 4x100 chances in the final... what a calypso-wash of usa that would have been...

Why bother about the US - what about the rest of the world?

Many of these Jamaicans live and train in the US I think.
I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. - (thanks, Hugh Gallagher)

feverpitch

• Team of the Century
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 03:53:04 PM »

this has got nothing to do with any perceived anti-usa bias that i may or may not have... :)
however, the sprints have been largely dominated by usa for dogs years now, despite an occasional donovan bailey/ linford christie [both of whom, incidentally, are jamaicans by birth]... and needed a new country...

whats interesting in this olympics is how the specializations in many sports for quite a few countries is changing... what hasn't changed is an austria being represented in TT by a chang-chong-chen... :)
Walter Benjamin

Cover Point

• Cover Point
  • Team of the Century
  • Cover Point
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 05:02:34 PM »

FP maybe pleased to know that despite these games being in the communist head quarters and despite the chinese cheating, US still is leading the medal tally with 100+ medals.

Take that China!!! No more hindi cheene bai bai!
Busting Gangulian chops since eternity.

WicketView

• Team of the Century
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 06:15:25 PM »

I read "One more Gold for Us" and got excited .....

Looking at the medals tally, we have two bronzes ? Did Vijender lose in the semis?

OldPal

• Team of the Century
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 06:25:35 PM »

I read "One more Gold for Us" and got excited .....

Looking at the medals tally, we have two bronzes ? Did Vijender lose in the semis?
All site should have this in their front page by now.
I had set up my alarm for 3 AM EST to watch this bout. Yes he did lose.

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 11:24:53 PM »

FP maybe pleased to know that despite these games being in the communist head quarters and despite the chinese cheating, US still is leading the medal tally with 100+ medals.
;D ;D
The rest of the world sorts the medal table on Gold medals... and the US is now sorting on Total medals !! The Chinese have overtaken the US...with their focus and specialization. Ex. Diving used to be US-dominated sport.. now they are lucky to finish in top 10
Play with heart. Win with class. Lose with dignity

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 04:06:07 AM »

While one can mock the US for their sporting achievement dip, it is relevant to note that a large percentage of the North American athletes such as the Jamaicans, use the US universities and coaching infrastructure. The universities are welcoming to foreign athletes, just as they are to foreign students. Many innovations come from the US too -- e.g., the speedo swimsuits which were designed with NASA assistance, the ethical use of which is a separate story. The games are heavily funded -- and telecasts and times therefore manipulated  :-[ -- by NBC, an American company. Most of the big sponsors - vital for many top class athletes - are US companies.

The Chinese surge, while clearly impressive, is representative of gaming the system perfectly and building a large enough pool of talent with all the support, world class infrastructure, expert coaching etc. and starting from a very young age. The Chinese have proven that anything can be achieved with will and extreme hard work. The US edge can be has been blunted through such large-scale dedicated effort, and the US has no such 'Marshall Plan' for sporting domination through regimentation, and never will. So it is not surprising at all.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 04:08:01 AM by ShortSquatLeg »
I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. - (thanks, Hugh Gallagher)

xiexie

• One Day Star
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 06:43:13 AM »

Many innovations come from the US too -- e.g., the speedo swimsuits which were designed with NASA assistance, the ethical use of which is a separate story. The games are heavily funded -- and telecasts and times therefore manipulated  :-[ -- by NBC, an American company. Most of the big sponsors - vital for many top class athletes - are US companies.

Sure why are you leaving out designer steroids and systematic development of the whole steroid culture while snitching on Ben J's etc of the world. The US has been no better in its quest to win medals as compared to the erstwhile Soviet Bloc or China.

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 02:15:35 PM »

Usain Bolt and Jamaica win the 4*100 relay in a world record time of 37.10 smashing a 15 year old record. Amazing man this Bolt and team Jamaica is extraordinary.

this means that the avg for each 100m run is 9.375 !!!! Either each of the 4 runners ran in record time or Bolt and Powell ran at super speed !!! Is a distribution of each runner's time available ?!?

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 02:39:03 PM »

this means that the avg for each 100m run is 9.375 !!!! Either each of the 4 runners ran in record time or Bolt and Powell ran at super speed !!! Is a distribution of each runner's time available ?!?
yeah it is quite strange!!!
though the runners do take running starts and the previous runners eventually catch up with them to  pass the baton.
In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in a clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness. Our life is a long and arduous quest after Truth.
-- Mohandas K *hi

feverpitch

• Team of the Century
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 09:28:49 PM »

Bolt probably ran a sub-9 lap... just watch the replay... it was beyond belief...
Walter Benjamin

feverpitch

• Team of the Century
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 09:38:08 PM »

While one can mock the US for their sporting achievement dip, it is relevant to note that a large percentage of the North American athletes such as the Jamaicans, use the US universities and coaching infrastructure. The universities are welcoming to foreign athletes, just as they are to foreign students.

Why just North American, they have welcomed African and other athletes too... And benefited from the migration too... Witness Freddy Adu...

Many innovations come from the US too -- e.g., the speedo swimsuits which were designed with NASA assistance, the ethical use of which is a separate story. The games are heavily funded -- and telecasts and times therefore manipulated  :-[ -- by NBC, an American company. Most of the big sponsors - vital for many top class athletes - are US companies.

Guess where Tim Montgomery, FloJo, Marion Jones, Justin Gatlin and Maurice Greene came from?

You are making it sound that the sports wear & other sponsoring companies do all for charity!

The Chinese surge, while clearly impressive, is representative of gaming the system perfectly and building a large enough pool of talent with all the support, world class infrastructure, expert coaching etc. and starting from a very young age. The Chinese have proven that anything can be achieved with will and extreme hard work. The US edge can be has been blunted through such large-scale dedicated effort, and the US has no such 'Marshall Plan' for sporting domination through regimentation, and never will. So it is not surprising at all.

Oh yeah!
Walter Benjamin

feverpitch

• Team of the Century
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 09:39:52 PM »

noya mochholman diney du bar peyaj khay!
Walter Benjamin

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 11:43:32 PM »

While one can mock the US for their sporting achievement dip, it is relevant to note that a large percentage of the North American athletes such as the Jamaicans, use the US universities and coaching infrastructure. The universities are welcoming to foreign athletes, just as they are to foreign students.

Why just North American, they have welcomed African and other athletes too... And benefited from the migration too... Witness Freddy Adu...

Of course - it is a nation of immigrants and that is quite fantastic, by and large. It would be an excellent start if all countries treated immigrants as well as the US has. The Chinese are big time xenophobes, by comparison.

Guess where Tim Montgomery, FloJo, Marion Jones, Justin Gatlin and Maurice Greene came from?

You are making it sound that the sports wear & other sponsoring companies do all for charity!

Of course not - they are doing it with pure capitalistic motives. My point is they are still leading in innovation, even when the American athletes are losing their domination.

The general physical superiority of highly trained black athletes causes them to excel in sprints. It is quite natural that Jamaica and other countries that have very similar people will excel too, and it helps when many of them utilize the competitive American system to get both the training and competition they require.

Oh yeah!

Indeed, yes! Even during the cold war rivalry with the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe through the 70s and early 80s, there was no regimentation in the US, and there was minimal government involvement in creating the top sportsmen.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 11:47:28 PM by ShortSquatLeg »

Cover Point

• Cover Point
  • Team of the Century
  • Cover Point
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2008, 07:12:05 AM »

it needs to be Vidalia!

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 08:45:28 AM »

US beats Spain in the basketball final.... a very good and close game. Kobe had to play like a superstar in the 4th qtr to win it.
Play with heart. Win with class. Lose with dignity

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2008, 07:20:08 PM »

In addition to the running start during hand-offs, I think the faster times on the relay may be due to the curves in the track being covered in some of the splits. If I am not mistaken, one can make faster times with curve included than a flat stretch.

feverpitch

• Team of the Century
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008, 01:54:11 AM »

it needs to be Vidalia!

Bah Bah, bhaloi bechhecho mostan(i)! mukhe ja gondho hobe tomar... abu salem chhara aar goti thakbe na...
Walter Benjamin

Cover Point

• Cover Point
  • Team of the Century
  • Cover Point
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2008, 02:32:46 AM »

it needs to be Vidalia!

Bah Bah, bhaloi bechhecho mostan(i)! mukhe ja gondho hobe tomar... abu salem chhara aar goti thakbe na...

abey bangali main gaali deta hai. Jaanta hai ki aadhe mod yahan bengali hi hain. are they listening?

feverpitch

• Team of the Century
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2008, 02:43:34 AM »

it needs to be Vidalia!

abey bangali main gaali deta hai. Jaanta hai ki aadhe mod yahan bengali hi hain. are they listening?

balle balle*... tunak tunak tun*... shaava shaava*... sonDi kuNri*... Abbe sarson-da-saag, ab samajh me aaya kuchh?

* saala yea bhasha hai yah echo machine hai?
Walter Benjamin

Cover Point

• Cover Point
  • Team of the Century
  • Cover Point
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2008, 03:16:34 AM »

it needs to be Vidalia!

balle balle*... tunak tunak tun*... shaava shaava*... sonDi kuNri*... Abbe sarson-da-saag, ab samajh me aaya kuchh?

* saala yea bhasha hai yah echo machine hai?

You have a problem with Punjabi? Wow. Are we now going to let a commie criticize a beautiful tongue and a great state. Specially since that state gave us Tandoori chicken and millions of jokes?

Mods Mods every where not an action to be seen :)

gopolks

• 12th Man
    • Media Sport and Other Rantings
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2008, 08:27:11 AM »

Bolt is out of this world, imagine if had of stuck with fast bowling.
Pages: [1]   Go Up