Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phelps is a freak: NC  (Read 1151 times)

poondu

• Team of the Century
Phelps is a freak: NC
« on: August 13, 2008, 06:01:16 PM »

American swimming star Michael Phelps insists he is beatable despite winning an 11th gold medal to become the most successful Olympian ever.

The 23-year-old has won five golds in Beijing so far, to surpass nine-time gold medal winners Larysa Latynina, Paavo Nurmi, Carl Lewis and Mark Spitz.

And he remains on target to top Spitz's record of winning seven at one Games.

But he said: "It's not over yet - I am not unbeatable and anything can happen in the next three events."

Phelps won his record-breaking 10th gold medal in the 200m butterfly in another world record time of 1:52.03 seconds despite his goggles filling with water.

And one hour later he lead the United States team to the 4x200m relay gold and his fifth world record of the Games.  It's a pretty neat title and I'm definitely honoured

Michael Phelps on being called the greatest Olympian of all time

"To be the most decorated Olympian of all time, it just sounds weird. I am speechless," Phelps said.

"It started to sink in a little after the butterfly. I was trying to focus on my next race but I kept thinking 'Wow. Greatest Olympian of all time'.

"It's a pretty neat title and I'm definitely honoured.

"When you have an Olympic gold medal it stays with you forever. It never gets old listening to your national anthem with a gold medal around your neck."

Phelps has received praise from fellow Olympians including tennis great Roger Federer.

The Swiss star, who is chasing a first Olympic gold, said: "What he's doing is quite incredible and he's been doing it for so many years.

"He's doing it in different competitions at different lengths. He's very impressive and he's one of the greatest athletes out there at the moment."  OLYMPICS BLOG

Fellow swimmer, Russia's Alexander Sukhorukov added: "He's just a normal person, although maybe from a different planet. A planet from a different galaxy."

And compatriot Dwayne Wade, who is a member of the US basketball team said: "He's one of the greatest swimmers of all time."

Other basketball stars including Kobe Bryant and LeBron James were at the Water Cube to cheer Phelps on.

"It's pretty cool seeing athletes of their calibre supporting you," said Phelps.

"I heard that they were even responsible for starting some of the chants."

Phelps returns to the pool on Thursday, after cruising through to the semi-finals of the 200m individual medley, but the final is not until Friday

poondu

• Team of the Century
Re: Phelps is a freak: NC
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 06:03:15 PM »

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
Re: Phelps is a freak: NC
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 06:05:06 PM »

Fellow swimmer, Russia's Alexander Sukhorukov added: "He's just a normal person, although maybe from a different planet. A planet from a different galaxy."

;D ;D ;D ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up