Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to stage a successful Olympics - Chinese tip #23  (Read 16264 times)

pipsqueak

• Team of the Century
Re: How to stage a successful Olympics - Chinese tip #23
« Reply #120 on: August 19, 2008, 12:06:21 AM »

[Aah, so the standards for recruitment of a secretary and for a CEO should be the same then, just to be consistent?

Seriously, what were you expecting that the organisers wouldn't want an adorable girl, and that looks/adorability wouldn't be a part of showbiz??

no - i full expect it and i think that was what clinched it for the lip-syching girl. EOD.

as for your first line, it is rather irrelevant in this context - this wasn't a desk job but about presenting a "flawless image" of china and the singer was part of it and the requirements in terms of looks would be consistent.

pipsqueak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #121 on: August 19, 2008, 12:16:53 AM »

Why would he look into each and every news source, when he has the video in front of him?

to check if the chinese media started the business of teeth and cheeks after-all? that's his main grouse, ain't it?

The video was out on Sunday. He wrote a blog entry Tuesday criticising the switch ('imperfect perfection').
How would he know few days later some people would accuse the video to be doctored?

The people who claimed that Chen started the crooked/chubby business quoted sina.com.cn, and he checked that.
Nothing found.

i repeat, why am i unable to find any references to this in blogs/web PRIOR to aug 12? i do not thinkthe video was online until aug 12, china time and everything was removed by aug 13 and no newspapers/state broadcasters reported this on wednesday.

also, you haven't explained why Telegraph and others, while having full access to the video, did not print a word about it until aug 13 - too many holes in your theory!

also, if you look at the Times Online link, you will notice that only the picture of the girls have "china.com.cn" as source and NOT the article! so much for the thoroughness or objective analysis of the foolsmountain blogger.

Cernunnos

• Team of the Century
« Reply #122 on: August 19, 2008, 12:26:47 AM »

And you missed the part at the beginning where it says it "became news after reports came out saying..".
Note that by the time the baidu report came out, the Aussies and Times had already released their reports.
So here's another secondhand source, which is only giving an "interpretation" of what Chen might have said.

Look, I consider the video to be a more authentic source,

1) If it were doctored, it wouldn't have Chen talking openly how the Politburo was interfering and wanting Lin's
voice replaced.
2) It is posted on youtbe by people critical of the Politburo.
3) The interview was in public space for 2-3 days. If the Chinese acted immediately after the interview,
there would be a case that all videos were doctored.
4) The audio and video are posted in many Chinese blogs, and the majority of users are critical of the
switch. But not one seems to insinuate that the video is doctored!

So I will just rely on the video and the peer reviewed transcripts.

Baidu is just a search engine that had a link in its cache. The date of this report is

???????????? ????????? ?? 2008-8-12 19:21
??????? 8?12??(?/Juna) ???????????,???????????????????????????????????,??7????????,?????,??????????,

I think one can assume this is China time.

Here's the Time Online report dated Aug 13, likely GMT.

August 13, 2008

China banned child singer with crooked teeth from singing at opening ceremony

Check the chronology in news.google.com - it was actually posted on the 12th.

Actually the first news item on this from the West is
http://www.inquisitr.com/2323/not-only-were-the-olympic-fireworks-fake-so-was-the-7-year-old-singer/
Which has a complete transcript, and lo - no mention of chubby cheeks or crooked teeth!

Also:
The secret of Peiyi was revealed Sunday by the ceremony's musical director Chen Qigang in a radio interview.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/13/AR2008081302640_2.html

And again Associated press
A member of China's Politburo asked for the last-minute change during a live rehearsal shortly before the ceremony, Chen said in the Beijing Radio interview, posted online Sunday night. He didn't name the official.
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gvdGdbFHvF8M_eJh8CSMEIbZ8tFAD92H7PT00

I also saw the radio audio posted in a chinese blog somewhere on Aug 11, but I can't be too bothered to search it again.

Anyway, this is becoming a stale discussion.

As far as I can see the video is real. The evidence was out there. The transcripts, including those endorsed by a western
paper had no mention of chubby cheeks or teeth.

It is obvious to me that while looks were a consideration (as expected), it certainly wasn't the only consideration.
It cannot *possibly* be the only consideration, even if the Chinese were the most vain people in the world.

Certainly there was no attempt to demean the younger singer by adding cruel adjectives.
Concocting the "chubby/crooked" part is a far far greater crime, as they are trampling on little children just to maintain a moral high ground.

I'll let you have the last word.

pipsqueak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #123 on: August 19, 2008, 12:47:22 AM »

Check the chronology in news.google.com - it was actually posted on the 12th.

Actually the first news item on this from the West is
http://www.inquisitr.com/2323/not-only-were-the-olympic-fireworks-fake-so-was-the-7-year-old-singer/
Which has a complete transcript, and lo - no mention of chubby cheeks or crooked teeth!

Also:
The secret of Peiyi was revealed Sunday by the ceremony's musical director Chen Qigang in a radio interview.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/13/AR2008081302640_2.html

And again Associated press
A member of China's Politburo asked for the last-minute change during a live rehearsal shortly before the ceremony, Chen said in the Beijing Radio interview, posted online Sunday night. He didn't name the official.
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gvdGdbFHvF8M_eJh8CSMEIbZ8tFAD92H7PT00

I also saw the radio audio posted in a chinese blog somewhere on Aug 11, but I can't be too bothered to search it again.

Anyway, this is becoming a stale discussion.

As far as I can see the video is real. The evidence was out there. The transcripts, including those endorsed by a western
paper had no mention of chubby cheeks or teeth.

It is obvious to me that while looks were a consideration (as expected), it certainly wasn't the only consideration.
It cannot *possibly* be the only consideration, even if the Chinese were the most vain people in the world.

Certainly there was no attempt to demean the younger singer by adding cruel adjectives.
Concocting the "chubby/crooked" part is a far far greater crime, as they are trampling on little children just to maintain a moral high ground.

I'll let you have the last word.

the dates aug 11/aug 12 do not mean much when are talking time-zones. aug 12, 19:00 hours in china is ahead of aug 12 in the western hemisphere. anyway, your claim about the baidu link parroting western media is incorrect and baidu link definitely mentioned 'teeth'.

as for Chen's interview, some say it was a Radio interview given on Sunday but do not mention when it appeared online - some others say it appeared online on sunday - conflicting information!

also, "interview appearing briefly online at sino.com" is another piece of information. then there is the bit about "olympic officials revealed that the girl was a lip-syncher on tuesday".

which part is true?

given that internet in china went abuzz only on aug 12, logic and common sense tell me that the interview was made available online only on tuesday and while the press in china was silenced, the west started picking up the story starting aug 12. sina.com.cn was the first site to publish young peiyi's photo incidentally!

as you said, this has gotten stale and time to put an end to this discussion.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 10:02:05 AM by pipsqueak »

Nima

• First Class Player
« Reply #124 on: August 19, 2008, 06:15:14 AM »

'Beauty-disadvantaged' singles' outcry

The single women of Mount Isa plan to protest tonight after their mayor said ugly women were happy in the mining town because of its large numbers of men, and that more similar-looking women ought to be recruited as a result.

Mayor John Molony has gone underground since making the comments, which were published in a newspaper at the weekend.

"May I suggest if there are five blokes to every girl, we should find out where there are beauty-disadvantaged women and ask them to proceed to Mount Isa," Cr Molony was quoted in the Townsville Bulletin as saying.

"Quite often you will see walking down the street a lass who is not so attractive with a wide smile on her face.

"Whether it is recollection of something previous or anticipation for the next evening, there is a degree of happiness."

The comments sparked outrage among the town's single women, who have organised a protest rally tonight on the lawns of the Civic Centre.

"We want an apology," said Rikki Loccisano. "We are offended and we want to settle the score."

Ms Loccisano, 22, an administration officer, said emails and text messages had been circulating around the town since 9am, urging women to "stand up and be heard".

"It paints the women here as second rate and suggests that the men will settle for anything. He has put everyone down," she said.

"We're going to get together to put forward our opinion."

Up to 100 women, carrying banners and placards, were expected to take part in the protest.

The story has gained international attention, with Cr Molony's comments quoted in The Guardian, USA Today, the China Daily, and a swag of other international newspapers.

Cr Molony's fellow council members and the local Chamber of Commerce have said they had been swamped with phone calls from both women and men complaining about the mayor's remarks.

"We have received calls from past Mt Isa residents, who are currently living overseas and read about the mayor's comments online ... they're shocked and outraged," Chamber of Commerce manager Patricia O'Callaghan said.

"There are much more serious regional and economic issues plaguing our town than what we all look like."

At the time, Cr Molony said he was "telling it like it is".

However, since the furore erupted, he has gone underground, saying only that his comments had been "twisted and warped".

"I've been shredded," he added, before hanging up.

In any case, the figures that informed Cr Molony's radical immigration plan for Mt Isa might not be accurate.

According to the 2006 census, males made up 52.6 per cent of the town's population of nearly 20,000.

And in a twist, some of the town's single women hit back saying that, while Cr Molony believed the town had many eligible bachelors, few were up to scratch.

"There are lots of lovely women here, but the men just aren't up to the game," said Catherine Willett, a single 26-year-old podiatrist who has been in the city for 10 months.

"To be honest, there just aren't top-quality men here.

"They are too busy drinking XXXX to notice the women and all they do is whistle or yell or beep as you go past - those sorts of communication skills which I just love."

She said the good men were "snatched up" immediately and rarely made it back onto the singles market.

Anna Warrick, 27, a single occupational therapist who moved from Sydney to Mount Isa last year, agreed.

"We've got a saying up here that the odds are good, but the goods are odd," she said.

"The guys don't make much of an effort with the girls - there isn't much wining and dining going on.

"I don't think the guys are terribly romantic from what I've seen."

Brisbanetimes' Simon O'Brien and Marissa Calligeros, with AAP.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/beautydisadvantaged-singles-outcry/2008/08/19/1218911691070.html
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up