Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Raikkonen apology puts balm to Sutil wounds  (Read 1324 times)

Blwe_torch

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • Last man standing
Raikkonen apology puts balm to Sutil wounds
« on: May 26, 2008, 04:23:35 PM »

Raikkonen apology puts balm to Sutil wounds
26 May, 2008 01:42 pm IST,PTI

NEW DELHI: Adrian Sutil's wound would probably take time to heal but an apology from Ferrari driver Kimi Raikkonen has at least put some balm on it.

Sutil's fairytale story at Sunday's Monaco Grand Prix had an unexpected villain of the piece in Raikkonen who rammed into the back of the Force India car, bringing the youngster's campaign to a premature end when he was just three laps and seven minutes away from a dream-come-true fourth place finish.

Force India subsequently lodged a complaint about Raikkonen in the stewards' office in Monaco but Sutil appeared to have forgiven the Ferrari driver following an apology from him.

Talking from Monaco, Sutil said, "Yes, Kimi did apologise to me. After the race he came to me and said 'I'm sorry, I'm really sorry.' He was sorry for sure.

"Anyway, it's racing and incidents like this do happen. It only shows you how the sport can be," Sutil said, philosophically.

Incidentally, team owner Vijay Mallya was not so sure of an apology coming from Raikkonen.

"In this cut-throat world of Formula One, I'm not sure whether there is any room for things like an apology. But as a world champion, I surely expected Raikkonen to drive safe and responsibly. I'm not sure of the circumstances in which he rammed into the back of Sutil's car," a dejected Mallya said.

Raikkonen, however, admitted it was his mistake and he blamed it on his brakes.

"I nearly lost the car and unfortunately I hit him. It's sad for them because they are not very often in the position to finish in the points. I feel a bit sorry for him, but I could not do anything," the Finnish said.

Sutil also rued that a top-five finish on Sunday could have raised the perfect toast to his friendship with eventual winner Lewis Hamilton.

"I did not get a chance to talk to Hamilton but he was happy that I came so close to a top five finish. I'm happy that he won the race. We are close friends and it would have been a great result to have both of us in the top five," he said, almost wishfully.

Sutil could not hold his tears as dream turned nightmare and the driver said he could not help it.

"Adrenalin was high and it was a very emotional moment. And I can tell you it was not me alone," he said.

Sutil was definitely luckless but not lacklustre in Monaco and his reputation as a formidable wet weather driver only grew on Sunday despite the fact that he had to eventually retire from the race. However, a change in fortune is just around the corner, he asserted.

"For sure, I didn't have luck so far this season. I had different problems, mostly with tyre and though I like Monaco, we started here from the back of the grid. Still, everything went perfectly to the script before the mishap. Anyway, I'm sure luck would soon change."

And he is deriving motivation from the encouraging words of his peers.

"After the race, different team members came and congratulated me. They sympathised with me. Coming from them, it feels good and nice," Sutil said.
http://racing.indiatimes.com/Raikkonen_apology_puts_balm_to_Sutil_wounds_/articleshow/3073284.cms

teamindia

• Team of the Century
Re: Raikkonen apology puts balm to Sutil wounds
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 10:42:41 PM »

Poor fellow. With four laps to go he was definitely in position to finish with points for himself and FI.
Pages: [1]   Go Up