Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Ranji 2007-08 Tracker - Plz Post Notable Daily Performances & Updates  (Read 55920 times)

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
Re: Ranji 2007-08 Tracker - Plz Post Notable Daily Performances & Updates
« Reply #360 on: December 20, 2007, 11:42:54 AM »

TN still has a mathematical chance  :icon_jokercolor:

caught and bowled

• Team of the Century
« Reply #361 on: December 20, 2007, 05:44:26 PM »

Well, UP look on track to adding to its Won quota ... have already taken a lead on the first innings with just 2 wickets down ... bengal have all the running to do now.

poor umpiring let bengal down. the crucial wkt of manoj tiwary went to an inside edge that was ruled as lbw, that could be heard from miles...

Poor umpiring is the bane of domestic Cricket in India so nothing new there. Everyone suffers the same way and things even out. What happened in the 2nd inning then? And what happened in the privious match where a lowly Orissa ( my favorite Debu and Shibu show!!) whipped Bengal's back side, nice and proper. I think they seem to do well only under coaches from the Western Union ;D
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 06:07:40 PM by caught and bowled »

caught and bowled

• Team of the Century
« Reply #362 on: December 20, 2007, 06:10:25 PM »

Mumbai need 275 to win. Looks like Agarkar is also injured.

Agarkar injured his hamstring and bowled only 6 overs on the last morning....

manee

• Fast Bowling Guru
  • Test Match Star
« Reply #363 on: December 20, 2007, 06:18:56 PM »

Do Indian fast bowlers warm up? Or train?

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #364 on: December 20, 2007, 07:31:41 PM »

Bengal is serious trouble of getting relegated !!!! Although they still have a mathematical chance to enter Semis  :icon_jokercolor:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 10:02:26 PM by justforkix »

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #365 on: December 20, 2007, 10:01:05 PM »

Group A

Saurashtra   : 20
Delhi           : 18
Mumbai        : 18
Maharashtra : 15
TN              : 13
Karnataka     : 10
HP               : 5
Rajasthan     : 4

Group B

Baroda     : 18
UP           : 14
Punjab      : 13
Andhra      : 12
Orissa       : 10
Hyderabad : 10
Bengal      : 8

caught and bowled

• Team of the Century
« Reply #366 on: December 20, 2007, 11:01:12 PM »

Do Indian fast bowlers warm up? Or train?
At this and age, I am sure Indian Bowlers (even when they are playing forf their state do eveything that all others bowlers around the world are expected to do: train, warm up, whatever). It can just be a case of bad luck especially for someone like Agarkar who is quite frigile at best and has a history of being injured at the drop of a hat...If Zhahir conks out in Australia I  hadthought they miight send  Agarkar but that chnce seems to have evaporated. Now even if he nails Saurahtra I will be happy...

caught and bowled

• Team of the Century
« Reply #367 on: December 21, 2007, 11:57:18 AM »

The long wait for Agarkar continues

Back to Section Stories  Posted On Friday, December 21, 2007

Mikhil Bhat

If the selectors had thought the way he did, Ajit Agarkar could have well been on the plane to Australia. But since it doesn’t work that way, understanding the 30-year-old’s disappointment does not need any knowledge of rocket science.

“Till you play cricket, you always have that in mind. If you don’t, you might as well stop playing cricket. I am disappointed because I thought I had a fair chance. I had bowled a lot of overs in Ranji, may be not my best, but I wasn’t bowling badly,” he said.

Bowling well
I have been left out after England and I thought I bowled well in Ireland before that. I didn’t have that bad a run to… Because I know I have done well at the top level, I feel… I just have to wait for my chances,” said Agarkar, who took 12 wickets from eight ODIs on the Ireland-Scotland-England tour.

Reason for his disappointment was simple. During India’s last tour Down Under, it was this Mumbai bowler who had Australia on the mat in the Adelaide test and so he couldn’t stop gushing about the experience before we touched on the sore nerve.

“We were there on 1999-2000 tour and never came closed to even drawing. And then going back later and to winning one test in Adelaide was fantastic. That was perhaps my best cricketing memory, not just my performance but the Test win,” he said.

Mumbai’s struggles
But while we talk, he has yet another problem lingering on his mind. Courtesy a pull in his groin, Agarkar had been sitting out the last two days of the Ranji match against Himachal Pradesh yesterday.

Watching his team-mates struggle from the comforts of the dressing room wasn’t a bit pleasing. “I feel bad for the whole team,” he said. “Because of my absence, they are falling one bowler short and others have to make up for it.”

The result of this match also means that this would be Mumbai’s second touch and go season in tandem.

“I wish Rahul Dravid wasn’t there in the first game. With a 140-run lead we could have got Karnataka,” Agarkar said with a grin. “But I don’t think we played well whether it’s batting or bowling. I could have picked up a couple of wickets more. Luckily, we play Saurashtra in the last game so it is up to us.”

• “But I don’t think mumbai played well whether it’s batting or bowling. I could have picked up a couple of wickets more. Luckily, we play Saurashtra in the last game so it is up to us”

caught and bowled

• Team of the Century
« Reply #368 on: December 21, 2007, 12:00:24 PM »

Well, UP look on track to adding to its Won quota ... have already taken a lead on the first innings with just 2 wickets down ... bengal have all the running to do now.

poor umpiring let bengal down. the crucial wkt of manoj tiwary went to an inside edge that was ruled as lbw, that could be heard from miles...

Poor umpiring is the bane of domestic Cricket in India so nothing new there. Everyone suffers the same way and things even out. What happened in the 2nd inning then? And what happened in the privious match where a lowly Orissa ( my favorite Debu and Shibu show!!) whipped Bengal's back side, nice and proper. I think they seem to do well only under coaches from the Western Union ;D

As I said, poor umpiring affects all in Indian domestic Cricket. However, if know the Mumbai boys well, Surashtra have a thing coming...

Holding out

Dogged Himachal Pradesh scuttle Mumbai’s bid for an outright victory

Back to Section Stories  Posted On Friday, December 21, 2007

Mikhil Bhat

This feels good: Ajay Mannu (third from left) gets the star treatment from his Himachal team-mates

It’s simply not the best of situations when numbers, apart from those on the scoreboard, decide the champions. Mumbai were left in exactly the same position as their Ranji Trophy match against Himachal Pradesh ended in a draw yesterday

Mumbai were five wickets away from getting themselves into a winning position when they started bowling at the Himachal Pradesh batsmen in the morning. With Himachal already five wickets down for 236, it seemed only like only a matter of time before the Mumbai bowlers would finish their job and then it would be up to the batsmen to get the runs for a victory.

Things even seemed going the right way when 21-year-old fast bowler Murtuza Husain took his eighth wicket of the match in in-form Paras Dogra (51) in the third over of the day.

No breakthrough
But three back-to-back partnerships, one of them a 79-run partnership between Ashok Thakur (46 not out) and Vikramjeet Malik (48) for the tenth wicket, meant Mumbai were left chasing a mammoth 275 in 15 overs.

With Mumbai getting three points from the match, their tally of points go up to 18 and they are level with Delhi, whose game against Karnataka was washed out. Saurashtra, who Mumbai play at the Wankhede a couple of days from now, are on 20 and only an outright win in their next match would ensure Mumbai’s safe passage to the semifinals.

Back in Dharamsala, while Thakur and Malik made sure the faces of Mumbai players drooped to irrevocable extents, it was a 293-minute effort by Ajay Mannu, who had scored nought in the first innings, that brought smiles on the faces of his team-mates and captains back. Mannu scored 103, his maiden hundred, off 217 balls.

By the time, Abhishek Nayar sent the 30-year-old back into the pavilion, the damage had already been done and the scoreboard read 351 with the hosts having a 195-run lead already.

Relieved
“I can’t say how relieved I am,” Mannu, who first started playing hockey as a kid, told Mumbai Mirror. “I hadn’t been scoring runs in the last few matches and so I have got the monkey off my back.

While Himachal boys hoisted Mannu up in the air in their dressing room, a few yards away, the mood in the Mumbai dressing room was somber, understandably so. “I had never thought I would say this but I must say that the umpiring let us down,” said Mumbai coach Pravin Amre. “It’s been happening everytime that we have had to take 15 wickets instead of 10 to get rid of the whole team. Abhishek (Nayar) was extremely unlucky not being given correct decisions on more than two occasions. There were two more decisions, which should have gone our way but didn’t. It just changes the whole game and which is what happened.”

Brief Scores
Mumbai 370 & 65-1 drew with Himachal Pradesh 214 & 430 (A Mannu 103, V Malik 48, A Thakur 46*, A Nayar 3-79)

Blwe_torch

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • Last man standing
« Reply #369 on: December 21, 2007, 12:39:09 PM »

Bengal is serious trouble of getting relegated !!!! Although they still have a mathematical chance to enter Semis  :icon_jokercolor:

The absence of Deep Dasgupta, Abhishek Jhunjhunwala nd Rohan Gavaskar, thanks to ICL has hit Bengal badly. It seems Bengal is worst hit by the ICL. :(

caught and bowled

• Team of the Century
« Reply #370 on: December 21, 2007, 12:42:49 PM »

The absence of Deep Dasgupta, Abhishek Jhunjhunwala nd Rohan Gavaskar, thanks to ICL has hit Bengal badly. It seems Bengal is worst hit by the ICL. :(

I dont think thats quite correct. Hyderabad was probably the most badly hot with about 8 players defecting to ICL

Blwe_torch

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • Last man standing
« Reply #371 on: December 21, 2007, 12:58:12 PM »

I dont think thats quite correct. Hyderabad was probably the most badly hot with about 8 players defecting to ICL
Score sheets and overall positions show Bengal is the worst hit. They were the finalists for the last couple of years and now facing relegation. Actually, those are the 3 main players to defect besides a host of other fringe players.

caught and bowled

• Team of the Century
« Reply #372 on: December 21, 2007, 01:10:48 PM »

Score sheets and overall positions show Bengal is the worst hit. They were the finalists for the last couple of years and now facing relegation. Actually, those are the 3 main players to defect besides a host of other fringe players.

I would put that to wrong succession planning, more than anything else. Sure it hit everyone out of the blue but then every otjer team was affected too. I can speak for Mumbai, even if MUmbai loses 8-9 players today, I am sure they will be able to come up with a good team of 11 who could fight till death and NOT fold up in front of teams like Orissa ;D

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #373 on: December 21, 2007, 06:28:13 PM »

I would put that to wrong succession planning, more than anything else. Sure it hit everyone out of the blue but then every otjer team was affected too. I can speak for Mumbai, even if MUmbai loses 8-9 players today, I am sure they will be able to come up with a good team of 11 who could fight till death and NOT fold up in front of teams like Orissa ;D

I think Bengal's slide is more to do with Bose's decline (relative to the last 2 years) and less to do with players' defections to ICL.

caught and bowled

• Team of the Century
« Reply #374 on: December 22, 2007, 08:30:17 PM »

Bose's odd week, and a boost for Plate League

Sidharth Monga

November 27, 2007
No more Plate finals
The Ranji Trophy Plate League will have semi-finals and a final for the last time this season. Under the new system, ratified by the BCCI Working Committee last week, the leaders of the two groups in the Plate League will qualify for the Super League quarterfinals along with the three top teams from each Super League group.

This means a team from the Plate League could end up winning the Ranji Trophy if it is on the favourable side of three draws. The positive of the move, though, is that the teams get rewarded immediately for a good performance in the Plate League, as opposed to a promotion to the Super League the following season. But it's open to debate if the best team in the Plate League group is better than the fourth-placed team in a Super League group.

This year's points standing provides an immediate case study. If rain severely affects the match between Delhi and Tamil Nadu in Chennai, Delhi could finish fourth in Group A of the Super League, even though they are a strong team and have done well. If the ruling were to be enforced this year, they could have lost a quarter-final spot to Railways, who are leading Group B in the Plate League.

This move doesn't really remove the original problem of too many teams diluting the competition in the Super League.

Long arm of the law
When given out lbw off Praveen Kumar at Kolkata, Manoj Tiwary stood aghast - bat slightly pointing towards umpire, words on his lips, and anger in his eyes - and walked off reluctantly. PTI reported he had words with both umpires on his way back and more when the umpires were headed in for lunch.

Chhota dada lost 50% of his match fee for his antics but there seems to be some previous between him and Ranade. cricketnext.com reports that it was the latest in a string of contentious decisions by Ranade involving Tiwary. Earlier this season, when India A played South Africa A in a one-day match at Rajkot, Tiwary was given out caught - though apparently off the helmet - by Ranade. Last year in Hyderabad, Ranade declared Tiwary out lbw while there seemed to be a deflection, the website reported.

Elsewhere
Aakash Chopra was sawn off for the second time in two matches, adding to his woes a week after Delhi team-mate Virender Sehwag made it to the squad ahead of him for the Test series in Australia. While Chopra sought to be philosophical and saw it as just another occupational hazard, Pravin Amre, Mumbai's coach, lashed out at the umpires. After Mumbai failed to bowl Himachal Pradesh out in their second innings, Amre was quoted as saying in the Times of India: "[Abhishek] Nayar and Ramesh Powar had both got [Ashok] Thakur early on - lbw and caught behind respectively -- but they were denied. Earlier, Rohit Sharma, Amol Muzumdar and Ajit Agarkar were incorrectly given out. This is the sixth match and I have not spoken against the standard of umpiring so far. But it has hurt us badly in every game. We are having to take 15 wickets in every innings."

While the umpiring standards are not surprising, it is surprising that only Tiwary has been fined for showing dissent. It could have to do with that being the only match being shown live on TV.

What's in a name
Over the last week or two, Ranadeb Bose has been compared to Sourav Ganguly in terms of pace by a national selector, omitted from the invitees' list for the BCCI awards night where he was an winner, and his second name was changed on the team list in the match against Uttar Pradesh.

He was called Ranadeb Mondal on the official list given by Bengal, which could have resulted in a protest by the UP team. On the first afternoon, the Bengal officials desperately went about trying to get the mistake corrected by the match referee Inderjit Singh Sachdeva, the Indian Express reported. In case of a factual error on the team list, the team at fault has to play without that particular player. In an earlier game, against Punjab at Siliguri, Bengal had failed to mention Bose's name in the team-list, the paper reported. The mistake was rectified during the match.

Hat-trick season
VRV Singh became the third bowler to take a hat-trick in two rounds of Ranji Trophy matches. And like the previous two - by Sony Cheruvathur and Parvinder Awana - this one too set up a win and also helped Punjab avoid relegation. VRV dismissed Niranjan Behera off the last ball of his fifth over and Rashmi Parida and Rashmi Das with the first two of his sixth, as Orissa collapsed from 24 for 0 to 76 all out in the second innings.

Quotehanger
"To be honest, it wouldn't have been as bad had Gautam [Gambhir] made it ahead of me.": Aakash Chopra told Mid-Day about his exclusion from the squad for the Tests in Australia. "But Viru [Sehwag] - although he is a very good friend of mine - being picked ahead of both of us is a bit shocking. He was not even named in the provisional squad. In that sense, I have every right to be disappointed."

Sidharth Monga is a staff writer at Cricinfo

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
  • Thanda Thanda Kool Kool
« Reply #375 on: December 24, 2007, 01:32:49 PM »

I think the mumbai bowling has lacked teeth this time around. This, despite the presence of Powar and AA for most matches ..some would say because of the latter. One just has to look at the number of seamers they have used this season - there is just no settled attack. It is all very well to blame umpiring or flat tracks, but when a Rajasthan or HP are able to hold you off (the former almost pulled off a c.400 chase), there is something seriously wrong with the attack.

It is amazing that Saurashtra, with no player really close to national reckoning is leading one of the groups.

And, I am really impressed with UP. They have emerged as serious players over the last few years and have dealt well with the odd absence of a praveen kumar or rp singh very well.
Sachin Tendulkar gave the muhurat clap for 'Awwal Number' - that apart, he hasn't done much wrong in the last 20 yrs!

caught and bowled

• Team of the Century
« Reply #376 on: December 25, 2007, 12:18:44 AM »

I think the mumbai bowling has lacked teeth this time around. This, despite the presence of Powar and AA for most matches ..some would say because of the latter. One just has to look at the number of seamers they have used this season - there is just no settled attack. It is all very well to blame umpiring or flat tracks, but when a Rajasthan or HP are able to hold you off (the former almost pulled off a c.400 chase), there is something seriously wrong with the attack.

It is amazing that Saurashtra, with no player really close to national reckoning is leading one of the groups.

And, I am really impressed with UP. They have emerged as serious players over the last few years and have dealt well with the odd absence of a praveen kumar or rp singh very well.

Apparently, Agarkar was injured from the 3rd day of the Rajasthan match. Avishkar Salvi and Rajeh Verma were already injured (and still are) so that they could play the Rajasthan match. All these 3 are not playing the Saurashtra match either. So the new ball attck for this most imp. match is in the the hands of Usman Malvi who has been in and out of the team and the new guy Hussein. Powar's form has diopped so much post his dropping from the Indian team that he has taken 9 wickets in 4 matches. Luckily Nilesh Kulkarni is back.

Its looks really tough for Mumbai but I would still not write them off till the last ball is bowled. They are not called "Khaddus" for nothing...

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #377 on: December 25, 2007, 08:23:07 PM »

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/ranjisuperleague/content/story/327197.html

Cricinfo staff

December 24, 2007

When the last round of the Ranji Trophy Super League begins on Tuesday, nine teams will compete for the remaining three slots in the semi-finals (Baroda are already through). That, and the fact that they are all playing simultaneously, opens up various possibilities. Cricinfo looks at what various teams need to do to advance to the next stage - or to avoid relegation.

First, the rules: For teams tied on points, the separator will be the number of wins. If they have the same number of outright wins, a quotient will be applied: the ratio between the number of runs scored divided by wickets lost and number of runs conceded divided by wickets taken.
Points table

Group A

Saurashtra have a strong chance of making it to the semi-finals © Cricinfo Ltd

Saurashtra, currently on 20 points and facing Mumbai
Sure shot: Beat Mumbai, which will take them to 25 points, or take a first-innings lead - a total of 23 points. In the first scenario they will definitely lead the table, in the latter they will lead unless Delhi beat Tamil Nadu.

In the reckoning: Even if they manage a point off Mumbai, they are likely to go through to the semi-finals, because they will be tied with Mumbai at 21 points in that scenario. And incredibly if Delhi manage a first-innings lead against Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra a bonus point against Karnataka, we will have four teams tied at 21 points. In that case, Saurashtra and Maharashtra will go through by the virtue of most number of outright wins.

Scraping through: If Saurashtra lose the match, they still have a chance if Delhi fail to take the first-innings lead against Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra don't win their match against Karnataka.

Mumbai, currently on 18 points and facing Saurashtra
Sure shot: If they beat Saurashtra, they are through to the semi-finals, regardless of the results in the other matches.

In the reckoning: A first-innings lead over Saurashtra will tie the two at 21, but Saurashtra have more outright wins so they will go through. And Mumbai will have to hope Delhi don't take the first-innings lead against Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra don't win by a bonus point.

Scraping through: If they concede a first-innings lead at the Wankhede Stadium, they still have a chance to go through if Delhi lose and Maharashtra don't take the first-innings lead. In case Delhi and Mumbai lose their matches, they will be tied at 18 points, and the quotient will have to separate the two, and as of now Delhi have a better quotient.

Delhi, currently on 18 points and facing Tamil Nadu
Sure shot: If they beat Tamil Nadu, they are assured of a semi-final place without having to worry about other results.

In the reckoning: A first-innings lead against Tamil Nadu will get them to 21, but if Maharashtra win with a bonus point, Delhi will be knocked out.

Scraping through: If they lose, they will hope Mumbai do too and that Maharashtra don't win their match. If Maharashtra take the first-innings lead, all three will be tied on 18, and the quotient currently favours Delhi in that scenario.

Maharashtra, currently on 15 points and facing Karnataka
In the reckoning: They will have to win with a bonus point over Karnataka and then also hope that only one of Mumbai, Delhi or Saurashtra reach 21 points. If they fail to get the bonus point, they will go through if Delhi and Mumbai fail to take the first-innings lead, or if Mumbai beat Saurashtra and Delhi fail to gain three points.

Scraping through If they manage a first-innings lead and Delhi and Mumbai lose, the quotient will come into play. There is a faint chance Maharashtra might go through in that case.

Tamil Nadu, currently on 13 points and facing Delhi
Outside chance: If they beat Delhi outright with a bonus point, and Mumbai and Maharashtra lose, Tamil Nadu will qualify second from the group. If they win without the bonus point, and if either of Mumbai or Delhi lose and Maharashtra fail to take the first-innings lead, the quotient comes into play, and Tamil Nadu currently have the second-best quotient after Delhi.

Relegation face-off between Himachal Pradesh and Rajasthan
A draw or tie will be enough for Himachal, but Rajasthan will be through if they win or take the first-innings lead.

Group B

A close-fought battle so far means that Andhra can either qualify for the semi-finals or be relegated © Cricinfo Ltd

Baroda, currently on 18 points and facing Orissa
They are already through to the semi-finals, but will want to ensure they lead the group by taking a first-innings lead.

Uttar Pradesh, currently on 14 points and facing Hyderabad
Sure shot: A win over Hyderabad, which will take them to 19, will be enough to ensure them a place in the semi-finals.

In the reckoning: A first-innings lead will take them to 17, which will not be enough if Andhra win with a bonus point. If Andhra wins, quotient comes into the picture.

If UP fail to take the first-innings lead, Andhra will go through if they gain the first-innings lead. In such a scenario, a win for Orissa will also see UP knocked out.

No second chance: If they fail lose against Hyderabad, they will be out of the race.

Andhra, currently on 12 points and facing Bengal
In the reckoning: A win with a bonus point, and they will still have to hope UP don't win their match.

No second chance: A first-innings lead will not be enough for Andhra to go through, as even if its comes to a tie, their solitary win will be their downfall.

Facing the axe: They need only one point against Bengal to avoid relegation. But if they lose, and Orissa and Hyderabad manage first-innings leads, Andhra will be relegated.

Hyderabad, currently on 10 points and facing UP
Only way in: They have to beat UP outright, preferably with a bonus point, and hope that either of Orissa and Andhra don't end up in a better position.

Facing the axe: A first-innings lead will ensure they don't get relegated, but if they don't they give Bengal and Orissa a chance to move ahead.

Orissa, currently on 10 points and facing Baroda
Only way in: They have to beat Bengal outright, preferably with a bonus point, and hope that either of UP, Orissa and Andhra don't end up in a better position.

Facing the axe: A first-innings lead will ensure they don't get relegated, but if they don't they give Bengal and Hyderabad a chance to move ahead.

Bengal, currently on 8 points and facing Andhra
Facing the axe: Trailing the second-last team by two points, a win will ensure Bengal are not relegated.

If Bengal manage a first-innings lead, they will have to hope either Orissa or Hyderabad lose their match, or Hyderabad manage only one point, in which case a lower quotient will result in Bengal or Hyderabad being relegated.

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #378 on: December 25, 2007, 11:29:59 PM »

Not looking so good for Mumbai ... Saurashtra clearly in a "play for draw" mood and doing well so far ... while Delhi has done well to restrict TN.
Sachin Tendulkar gave the muhurat clap for 'Awwal Number' - that apart, he hasn't done much wrong in the last 20 yrs!

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #379 on: December 26, 2007, 06:25:37 AM »

what is wrong with the wickets in bengal?? the home side is under the hammer once again!!

Group B: Bengal v Andhra at Kolkata - Dec 25-28, 2007
Lunch - Andhra lead by 39 runs with 10 wickets remaining
Andhra 121 and 16/0; Bengal 98
HH Watekar 15*  LNP Reddy 1*  RR Bose 3-0-12-0  SS Paul 3-0-4-0 

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #380 on: December 26, 2007, 10:00:57 AM »

Saurashtra almost making sure that Mumbai is unlikely to make it to the semis this time around.

Saurashtra 399/6 (159.1 ov)

Especially, with Delhi trailing TN by only 66 runs with 7 wickets in hand. GG scored 84!

Zacked

• Team of the Century
« Reply #381 on: December 26, 2007, 03:26:12 PM »

Saurashtra almost making sure that Mumbai is unlikely to make it to the semis this time around.

Especially, with Delhi trailing TN by only 66 runs with 7 wickets in hand. GG scored 84!

esp Kotak... anyone rem. Hanif Mohammed

SH Kotak (lhb) 162 514 19 0 31.51  non-striker

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
« Reply #382 on: December 26, 2007, 05:21:51 PM »

Saurashtra's rise has been great. A team that, till recently, was struggling in the Plate group is practically through to the semi finals. All credit to the team and Debu Mitra who it seems (with a lot of support from Niranjan Shah) has worked very hard for this.

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #383 on: December 26, 2007, 08:14:03 PM »

I think Mumbai's only hope now is for TN to somehow beat Delhi ;)

Also, Bengal is on the verge of elimination.

The UP vs. Andhra battle for semi spot is also getting very interesting with possibly quotients coming into play :)

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #384 on: December 27, 2007, 08:40:41 AM »

Bengal LOSE by 101 runs and RELEGATED !!!!

Good fightback by Rajasthan - need 161 more runs to win and avoid relegation. HP needs 9 wkts to avoid relegation.

Maharashtra traling by 146 runs in the first innings says Bye Bye to Semis

Mumbai is pretty much eliminated from Semis as TN in deep trouble vs. Delhi, TN are 65/6 in 2nd innings and still trail by 5 runs.

Now Andhra wins and gets to 17 pts. UP has 1st innings lead, so will need to win or get a higher quotient. Knowing Kaif, he'll prolly have an eye on both.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 08:48:44 AM by justforkix »

caught and bowled

• Team of the Century
« Reply #385 on: December 27, 2007, 10:35:14 AM »

esp Kotak... anyone rem. Hanif Mohammed

SH Kotak (lhb) 162 514 19 0 31.51  non-striker

Mumbai is out of the semis for intents and purposes...out batted by the the old timer Sitanshu Kotak. And yes, I remeber Hanif Mohammad (both and mother and father have spoken about his marathon inning)...

caught and bowled

• Team of the Century
« Reply #386 on: December 27, 2007, 10:39:19 AM »

The Great Bengal out for 98 in first inning after Ranadeb took 7 to restrict Andhra to 121. Eventually losing by 101 runs. Before that they had lost to Orissa!!.

No excuse for Tiwary this time, bold by Vijay kumar for 0 and then made 35 in the 2nd..
All these great big hopes of the future, Tiwary, Sharma(mumbai) have suddenly lost their sting...

Blwe_torch

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • Last man standing
« Reply #387 on: December 27, 2007, 10:51:34 AM »

The Great Bengal out for 98 in first inning after Ranadeb took 7 to restrict Andhra to 121. Eventually losing by 101 runs. Before that they had lost to Orissa!!.

No excuse for Tiwary this time, bold by Vijay kumar for 0 and then made 35 in the 2nd..
All these great big hopes of the future, Tiwary, Sharma(mumbai) have suddenly lost their sting...

Yes it is sad that these good talents( Tiwary/Bose, etc) were not encouraged at the right time..........................not that India has benefitted by depriving them. Now these guys will never play for India....may play for ICL in the next season. :(
India will continue to grovel when faced with real challenge, as they did in Melbourne today.

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #388 on: December 27, 2007, 11:12:38 AM »

Eh !!! Tiwari has had just one good season and he's just 22. Not encouraged at the right time !!  ::) ::)

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #389 on: December 27, 2007, 11:15:05 AM »

Kaif gets a 100* !!

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #390 on: December 27, 2007, 11:16:39 AM »

Yes it is sad that these good talents( Tiwary/Bose, etc) were not encouraged at the right time..........................not that India has benefitted by depriving them. Now these guys will never play for India....may play for ICL in the next season. :(
India will continue to grovel when faced with real challenge, as they did in Melbourne today.

tiwary had his chance almost..then he hurt his shoulder

bose...sad that him and ga*eep never get a game. they must be doing something right if they can take so many wickets!

Zacked

• Team of the Century
« Reply #391 on: December 27, 2007, 10:34:57 PM »

Kaif gets a 100* !!

he has scored more than what sehwag has scored.. though its still aint anywhere near to how much he should have scored to get an Indian call

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #392 on: December 27, 2007, 10:42:40 PM »

And Badri has finally realzied that only 10s and 20s get you into the Indian team as backup middle order bat and not those silly 100s and 200s !!!

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #393 on: December 28, 2007, 03:33:11 AM »

Andhra defeats Bengal

Special Correspondent

JUBILIANT: The Andhra cricketers put up a disciplined show to defeat Bengal at the Eden Garden in Kolkata on Thursday.

KOLKATA: Andhra’s stupendous all-round show floored Bengal by 101 runs in the final Group ‘B’ super league cricket match of the Ranji Trophy at the Eden Gardens here on Thursday.

The win earned Andhra five points and it has 17 from six games while Bengal, having lost its fourth match, will be relegated to the Plate division next season.

Andhra’s success was based on responsible batting, disciplined bowling and keen fielding.

Stressing on these virtues, team’s coach, Syed Abid Ali, said, “we endeavoured to play like one unit. The team’s strength is being together in any situation.”
Rapid fall

Having figured in the final of the National championship for the last two seasons, Bengal’s fall from grace was rapid and ignominious.

The last time when Bengal faced a similar situation in the 2004-05 season, it extricated itself by beating Madhya Pradesh.

But this time three successive defeats at home against Orissa (at Siliguri), Uttar Pradesh and Andhra here (all within three days) completed Bengal’s tale of woe.

Resuming at 147 for six, Andhra added 43 runs before being dismissed for 190.

Ranadeb Bose added three more to his overnight four wickets to end with seven for 74, his 18th five-wicket and fifth 10-wicket haul (10 for 121) in a first class match.

Normally, a target of 214, should not have posed a problem to a side high on spirit, but for a side with low morale, it looked insurmountable.

By lunch, Andhra had reduced Bengal to 35 for three and the lone hope Manoj Tiwary looked good in scoring 17 runs.

The pitch, having lost its pace a bit, still offered movement and carry. The ball came nicely to the bat and Bengal needed someone to stay at the wicket and build one solid partnership.

Tiwary did look in good nick but chose the wrong ball for a short-arm pull and dragged it onto his stumps off Y. Gnaneswara Rao for a well-made 35.

Accurate line

Skipper Laxmi Ratan Shukla’s late flourish for 39 did not matter as P. Vijay Kumar, sticking to an accurate line and length, completed his second five-wicket haul of the match and end with 10 for 87, his best so far.

Gnaneswara Rao too registered his first five-wicket haul, ending with magic figures of five for 16.

The scores:

Andhra — 1st innings: 121.

Bengal — 1st innings: 98.

Andhra — 2nd innings: H. Watekar c Saha b Mukherjee 67, L.N.P. Reddy c Saha b Paul 12, D. Kalyan Krishna lbw b Bose 12, Y.G. Rao c Dinda b Bose 6, A.S.K. Varma c Saha b Bose 6, B. Sumanth lbw b Bose 1, M.S.K. Prasad c Saha b Bose 54, A.G. Pradeep c Mondal b Paul 22, G.S. Rao c Saha b Bose 2, I. Raju c Majumdar b Bose 0, P. Vijay Kumar (not out) 6, Extras (lb-1, w-1): 2; Total (in 64.1 overs): 190.

Fall of wickets: 1-47, 2-88, 3-98, 4-104, 5-104, 6-109, 7-154, 8-159, 9-159.

Bengal bowling: Bose 26.1-6-74-7, Paul 20-7-41-2, Dinda 9-2-38-0, Chowdhury 3-1-19-0, Mukherjee 6-2-17-1.

Bengal — 2nd innings: A. Majumdar c Prasad b Vijay Kumar 8, A. Das c G.S. Rao b Vijay Kumar 9, W. Saha c Watekar b Vijay Kumar 0, M. Tiwary b Y.G. Rao 35, K.H. Mondal lbw b Vijay Kumar 0, L.R. Shukla lbw b Vijay Kumar 39, R. Chowdhury c Prasad b Y.G. Rao 1, P. Mukherjee lbw b Y.G. Rao 0, A. Dinda c Watekar b Y.G. Rao 0, R. Bose lbw b Y.G. Rao 8, S.S. Paul (not out) 6, Extras (lb-5, nb-1): 6; Total (in 29.5 overs): 112.

Fall of wickets: 1-9, 2-9, 3-27, 4-35, 5-65, 6-70, 7-70, 8-88, 9-98.

Andhra bowling: Kalyan 6-1-18-0, Vijay Kumar 13-3-56-5, Raju 4-0-15-0, Sankara Rao 1-0-2-0, Gnaneshwar Rao 5.5-3-16-5.
---

Kaif hits century

Principal Correspondent

HYDERABAD: Uttar Pradesh stayed in contention for a possible outright win over Hyderabad, thanks to a century by captain Mohd. Kaif.

The host was struggling at 55 for two at close on the third day, chasing 438 for a win, in the Ranji Trophy super league Group ‘B’ cricket match at the Rajiv *hi Stadium (Uppal) here on Thursday.

Kaif, who was dropped on three by wicketkeeper Abhinav Kumar off left-arm spinner Pragyan Ojha and again, on 82 survived a stumping chance off off-spinner Vishal Sharma, went on to score an unbeaten century (100 not out, 150b, 8x4, 3x6).

In the company of Ravikant Shukla (70 not out, 107b, 14x4), he put on 170 for the fourth wicket which dashed Hyderabad’s hopes of restricting U.P. for a modest second innings score after Ojha struck twice in quick succession to reduce it to 124 for three.

Pleasing strokes

The day certainly belonged to Kaif, who played some pleasing strokes with admirable footwork against the spinners — hitting them for three huge sixes.

He made his intentions clear immediately after lunch when he walked down to loft off-spinner Amol Shinde for a straight six.

That was just the beginning of a dominant partnership during which the body language of the Hyderabad bowlers was not positive.

With news of Andhra scoring an outright win over Bengal and thereby saving the ignominy of Hyderabad being relegated to Plate division (if it were to finish at the bottom of the table, which Bengal is eventually doing), there seemed to be little motivation for the home team except to go through the motions.

When Uttar Pradesh declared its second innings at 294 for three, 13 minutes after tea, it was certainly looking for a possible victory to steer clear of all permutations and combinations which it had to engage, if it were to tie with Andhra with equal number of points after this match.

The two teams will be level on 17 points if U.P. gets only three points for the first innings lead from this contest.

Bad start

Hyderabad began the second essay with makeshift opener Abhinav Kumar trapped leg before by medium-pacer Praveen Kumar in the third over.

Then an enterprising 49–run partnership between opener S. Daniel Manohar (28 batting, 4x4) and S. Anoop Pai 24 (4x4) gave an impression that Hyderabad was serious in it’s pursuit of the target.

But Pai played an irresponsible stroke, swinging Praveen Gupta straight to mid-wicket in the last over of the day to reduce Hyderabad to 55 for two.

For Hyderabad, the bad news is the freak accident opener and the in–form D.B. Ravi Teja was involved in when his car rammed into another right in front of the Stadium gate in the morning.

His neck needed immediate medical attention and it is not known for sure whether he will play on Friday or not.

The scores:

Uttar Pradesh — 1st innings: 336.

Hyderabad — 1st innings: 193.

Uttar Pradesh — 2nd innings: R.P. Srivastava lbw b P. Ojha 56, T.N. Srivastava lbw b A. Shinde 54, S.K. Raina lbw b P. Ojha 10, Mohd. Kaif (not out) 100, R. Shukla (not out) 70, Extras (b-2, lb-2): 4; Total (for three wkts. decl. in 83.4 overs): 294.

Fall of wickets: 1-100, 2-116, 3-124.

Hyderabad bowling: Arjun 12-3-48-0, Ojha 35.4-9-109-2, Vishal 10-0-62-0, Shinde 25-7-65-1, Shoaib 1-0-6-0.

Hyderabad — 2nd innings: S.D. Manohar (batting) 28, Abhinav Kumar lbw b Praveen Kumar 2, S.A. Pai c B. Kumar b P. Gupta 24, S.M. Shoaib (batting) 0, Extras (nb-1): 1; Total (for two wkts. in 16 overs): 55.

Fall of wickets: 1-6, 2-55.

Uttar Pradesh bowling: Praveen 7-2-19-1, B. Kumar 3-1-13-0, Tyagi 4-1-17-0, Gupta 2-1-6-1
Play with heart. Win with class. Lose with dignity

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #394 on: December 28, 2007, 08:13:05 AM »

UP is on the verge of entering Semis as the top team.

Baroda will finish 2nd unless they declare and try to pull of a miracle win over Orissa.

Delhi finish as the top team in the other group.

Mumbai is pretty much eliminated. 43 overs remaining and they trail by 101 runs. Strange that they are not even trying to force a win inspite of now knowing that Delhi has beaten TN.

In all likelyhood this is the Semis lineup:

UP vs. Saurashtra
Baroda vs. Delhi

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #395 on: December 28, 2007, 08:44:34 AM »

Kaif gets a 100* !!

he has scored more than what sehwag has scored.. though its still aint anywhere near to how much he should have scored to get an Indian call

Also, apparently Kaif declared with only 3 wickets lost to maximize UP's quotient (calculated based on runs cored / wickets lost)  :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #396 on: December 28, 2007, 09:45:34 AM »

UP wins. PK gets 6 wickets
Play with heart. Win with class. Lose with dignity

Zacked

• Team of the Century
« Reply #397 on: December 28, 2007, 07:18:09 PM »

source: cricinfo

Zacked

• Team of the Century
« Reply #398 on: December 28, 2007, 07:24:04 PM »

atticus

• Test Match Star
« Reply #399 on: January 06, 2008, 08:43:11 AM »

Meanwhile back in India we have 2 engrossing semis taking place

Saurashtra needs 162 runs to beat saurashtra - http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ranjisuperleague/engine/current/match/306345.html

Good for Kaif for scoring 80 out of 188 total runs in the 1st innings.

Delhi has taken the lead vs Baroda - http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ranjisuperleague/engine/current/match/306344.html

Looks like another round of games in not so great pitches (or not so good batsmen playing on pitches that helps the bowlers)...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15   Go Up