Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Organisation  (Read 2349 times)

manee

• Fast Bowling Guru
  • Test Match Star
Organisation
« on: October 24, 2007, 10:45:17 AM »

I posted this earlier I believe but it was either deleted or didn't post properly or I can't find it.

Basically, I was just thinking that in the General Cricket Section, you could organise the forum better and it would result in more discussion. E.g. Just one thread per player, per incident, per domestic series, per international game, not one thread per article because then it is hard to find all the information and discussion becomes limited.

Just a suggestion

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
Re: Organisation
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 03:58:54 PM »

Agree with you in principle, but may be tough for a single person to do it.

Actually some of the members do try to club articles relevant to a particular topic, while some of them don't. I think it should up to each member to try follow this process as much as possible to facilitate optimal discussion.

Since it is quite painful to split/merge topics/posts, it may be too much of an ask for moderators to do it regularly ;)

manee

• Fast Bowling Guru
  • Test Match Star
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 04:21:54 PM »

Actually some of the members do try to club articles relevant to a particular topic, while some of them don't. I think it should up to each member to try follow this process as much as possible to facilitate optimal discussion.

Since it is quite painful to split/merge topics/posts, it may be too much of an ask for moderators to do it regularly ;)

I think a simple stickied thread advising members to search for a thread of a similar topic before starting a new one will do and work well. The forum is too hap-hazard (British phrase), and I guarantee that you will get more posts.

Just a question. Isn't it breaching copyright to post whole articles? I was just wondering because some forums allow it and others don't.

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 04:31:15 PM »

I think a simple stickied thread advising members to search for a thread of a similar topic before starting a new one will do and work well. The forum is too hap-hazard (British phrase), and I guarantee that you will get more posts.

Fair enough. Will talk to the other mods and if ok, will put one in the weekend. Thx for the suggestion.

Just a question. Isn't it breaching copyright to post whole articles? I was just wondering because some forums allow it and others don't.

Dunno. But most of us post articles along with their links. Is that still a violation ?!? We are giving due credit for it, right ?

manee

• Fast Bowling Guru
  • Test Match Star
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 04:37:46 PM »

Fair enough. Will talk to the other mods and if ok, will put one in the weekend. Thx for the suggestion.

Dunno. But most of us post articles along with their links. Is that still a violation ?!?

Probably not.

Thanks for taking on board my suggestions.

sudzz

• Team of the Century
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 06:26:29 PM »

I posted this earlier I believe but it was either deleted or didn't post properly or I can't find it.

Basically, I was just thinking that in the General Cricket Section, you could organise the forum better and it would result in more discussion. E.g. Just one thread per player, per incident, per domestic series, per international game, not one thread per article because then it is hard to find all the information and discussion becomes limited.

Just a suggestion

This approach will severly limit discussions...Only the most vociferous voices will be heard

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 07:14:02 PM »

sudzz - how so ?

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 07:59:59 PM »

Just a suggestion

This approach will severly limit discussions...Only the most vociferous voices will be heard
sudzz - how so ?

I understand where Sudzz is coming from. The problem with not having threads per article is that it becomes difficult to follow discussion on a particular article since a thread contains discussions pertaining to several articles. This might lead to articles simply being clumped together in a thread. In addition, we have the headache of divergence which would make managing such threads even more difficult.

I also understand Manee's issue - I am not sure if the solution is so straightforward.
"...that is me offering you an olive basket... ...and that is you spitting in my face."

Scott Caan as Turk Malloy

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 10:38:12 PM »

from my understanding...to enforce copyright laws, the particular company would have to prove that we caused substantial damage to its reputation/revenue/etc.

i'll comment on the other suggestions later--wed sucks for me!

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 08:48:25 PM »

from my understanding...to enforce copyright laws, the particular company would have to prove that we caused substantial damage to its reputation/revenue/etc.

i'll comment on the other suggestions later--wed sucks for me!

Did you wed someone?  :icon_thumleft:  or still dating?

pipsqueak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 12:28:59 AM »

i find the excessive compartamentalization of the DG forum a terrible pain - it takes me forever to locate a certain thread if it is not part of my "unread posts" list. earlier, if it was a cricket post i was looking for, i would go look at General Discussion and if it was something else, it would in ETC. or Other Sports. now, i have to spend a lot of time wading through several layers and eventually, i ended up looking up a poster whom i knew had posted there, searched through his last posts and found the thread.

not fun!

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 12:48:39 AM »

i find the excessive compartamentalization of the DG forum a terrible pain - it takes me forever to locate a certain thread if it is not part of my "unread posts" list. earlier, if it was a cricket post i was looking for, i would go look at General Discussion and if it was something else, it would in ETC. or Other Sports. now, i have to spend a lot of time wading through several layers and eventually, i ended up looking up a poster whom i knew had posted there, searched through his last posts and found the thread.

not fun!

Agree .. we should have Cricket, ETC, DG Classics, VIP Area and Other Sports .. that is it.
Play with heart. Win with class. Lose with dignity

pipsqueak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 01:22:35 AM »

also, where's that much promised feature to ignore threads COMPLETELY? i certainly don't want to see NFL and other american "world championship" sports threads, among other things.... :P

kingcool1432

• Hakuna Matata
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 01:33:18 AM »

not fun!

I second tht!
Reality continues to ruin my life.  Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat, p67-1

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 02:37:38 AM »

ya..i think we have killed our etc board with the # of sub-forums

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century