Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: History of Cricinfo  (Read 5555 times)

pipsqueak

• Team of the Century
History of Cricinfo
« on: September 07, 2007, 07:00:39 AM »

someone just sent me this link:

http://bluwiki.com/go/CricInfo_History
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 08:59:29 AM by pipsqueak »

Libran

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
Re: History of Cricinfo
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 07:12:09 AM »

Amazing growth ....

kban/Dex/blwe/jfk ....  Food for thought  ::cheers::

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 07:15:40 AM »

when .com boom was at its height i used to own a profitable pro-wrestling site with a very good forum...sadly, i lost interest once i joined college (and bret hart retired) otherwise i could have been rich now  :icon_scratch:

Libran

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 10:00:59 AM »

On a serious note...if we could get to grounds with laptops and wireless connections and put down commentary and descriptions, there will be more visitors to the CV site....

Think about it.... maybe mobile phones with cameras with shots of crowds and cricket on the ground... upload on DG ( how ?? I do not know) ....etc., it would make this a more noticeable site

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 09:13:06 AM »

On a serious note...if we could get to grounds with laptops and wireless connections and put down commentary and descriptions, there will be more visitors to the CV site....

Think about it.... maybe mobile phones with cameras with shots of crowds and cricket on the ground... upload on DG ( how ?? I do not know) ....etc., it would make this a more noticeable site
ravi,
i can def. easily set up ppl with ftp access to allow uploading. would you be interested in doing something like that next time you're at a game? once someone starts, maybe more will show interest!

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 03:38:35 AM »

pip, thanks for the excellent historical biography of cricinfo. It made my day. Like perhaps others, I followed rec.sport.cricket the NDSU node and eventually CricInfo from the early 90s, so it was nice to see the blow by blow recap.

It would have been nice if the article went into the financial dealings of CricInfo.

Here is my take. Satyam invested money and it was washed out completely in the sale to Wisden.
Wisden sat on it for a while and made excellent money flipping it to ESPN.

Ultimately those turds at Wisden are cashing in on something that was started for free. I am not against capitalism but this affects my sensibilities -- Badri's note (captured in the article) where he talks about the way the initial money was obtained and the absolute necessity of keeping it free as a result, is worth reading. I just wish the founders had a strict GPL (Gnu Public License) around everything they developed, so anyone extending it could not make it proprietary as they now have. I know for a fact that Badri, key contributor and management since 1994, and MD in the end, made very little money when it was acquired by Wisden.

With the brand now owned by ESPN, I am convinced the 'live scores with commentary' is going to become monetized further and further, till it becomes useless on a free basis. The foremost ideals of the laudable founders who truly put their sweat, blood and guts, is going to be completely violated.

If CricketVoice ever goes somewhere, I hope the management realizes that it is what it is due to a multitude of significant contributions, a whole bunch from folks who won't financially gain from an upside. Like my stance towards CricInfo, this should remain free IMO - managed as community property with mimimum overheads and no ambitious 'own the niche' plans.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 03:42:22 AM by kingofprussia »
I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. - (thanks, Hugh Gallagher)

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 03:45:17 AM »

was just thinking, cricketvoice should get its own wiki page too...anyone good with the wiki codes so we can create an entry there? we can all contribute and edit the page once its set up...

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 04:06:57 AM »

was just thinking, cricketvoice should get its own wiki page too...anyone good with the wiki codes so we can create an entry there? we can all contribute and edit the page once its set up...

I offer 1 is to 10 odds that it would require a controversy marker within 2 weeks, owing to differing opinions of Saurav Ganguly  ;D
I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. - (thanks, Hugh Gallagher)

Libran

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 05:34:57 AM »

ravi,
i can def. easily set up ppl with ftp access to allow uploading. would you be interested in doing something like that next time you're at a game? once someone starts, maybe more will show interest!

We are not even allowed to carry bags and water bottles...not sure if laptops are allowed..and after carrying it all thw way to the gate  and it is not allowed in, walking back 3 kms to put it back into the car .... and back into the queue...match will be over by then :)

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 06:00:12 AM »

I offer 1 is to 10 odds that it would require a controversy marker within 2 weeks, owing to differing opinions of Saurav Ganguly  ;D
hehe, good point...let's not forget moderation controversies that are bound to find a place too!

kingcool1432

• Hakuna Matata
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 02:57:21 PM »

What's wrong with the wiki we currently have? ???
Reality continues to ruin my life.  Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat, p67-1

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 04:34:25 PM »

What's wrong with the wiki we currently have? ???

that way we can be on wikipedia=free publicity.

mathew2sellers

• Spectator
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 01:15:08 PM »

Thank you so much for sharing this link.
Pages: [1]   Go Up