Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 2897 times)

sgusa

Suggestions
« on: July 19, 2007, 06:50:40 AM »

DEX, could you throw together a quick data entry form for this rather than post ? I could do that for you if you wish (If it is possible with the system in place - I assume mysql backend, PHP driven forum ? )

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 07:03:02 AM »

DEX, could you throw together a quick data entry form for this rather than post ? I could do that for you if you wish (If it is possible with the system in place - I assume mysql backend, PHP driven forum ? )

hmm, let's stick to this for the first test to get things rolling and then after that something more advanced can be looked into. yes, the hosting does provide for mysql and php. if you come up with something, let me know. i'll also look at other options.

sgusa

Suggestions
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 07:08:02 AM »

hmm, let's stick to this for the first test to get things rolling and then after that something more advanced can be looked into. yes, the hosting does provide for mysql and php. if you come up with something, let me know. i'll also look at other options.

Well, we need to create a table for holding this data, and then a simple PhP ( I would love if they had python+mysql support) form page that updated that table. Let me see if I can create the scripts and the page. I would need to look at how to add a new page to the forum template though (or you can just link a plain vanilla html+php page I can create to the forum via this post, maybe.)

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
Suggestions
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 09:49:39 AM »

Thanks very much dextrous for setting this up, and sgusa for your technical input.
I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. - (thanks, Hugh Gallagher)

sgusa

Suggestions
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 05:51:27 PM »

PS: When the heck did you becomes a mod ?

Permission to control this thread - thats all. If you deploy your php plans, you will be the super mod of this thread. Anyone who is interested in helping maintain these stats and contributing to it will be given permission, software permitting. I think that is the only way multiple of us can edit the same post.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 06:15:57 PM by kingofprussia »

sgusa

Suggestions
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 05:58:59 PM »

Thanks very much dextrous for setting this up, and sgusa for your technical input.

I am playing around with mysql tables on my laptop. But I would really need to take a look at the software teh DG runs on ( the rest leaving mysql out) to be able to come up with anything that can be integrated into the DG.

PS: When the heck did you beecomes a mod ?

Looks like we would need a few tables, and then a bunch of corresponding forms. I'll make the database schema, and then expost the SQL out to you, dex. But beyond that I would need to take a look at the software.

sgusa

Suggestions
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 06:39:22 PM »

Folks - I am not going to track misfield runs in tests. We'll try doing this for ODIs though. If any of you feel this will be valuable in tests too, please be my guest. My concern was the burden on us contributors in tests - hopefully it flies for ODIs.

I have updated the table accordingly. Thanks for all your comments! If we can continue this for a while, this should prove quite handy and be link worthy.

DEX, KoP - I have thought out some of the database schema and I have ideas on how to display, get data entry ( the logistics of it ( since a diff subset of memebers will contribute the stats dep on if they are watching the game etc) not the design/impl).

Please think about it, and let me know if I should invest my time into this. I will only proceed if I know that you want this happening and are willing to give me access to the site.

sgusa

Suggestions
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 08:18:29 PM »

sgusa, Yes, I think it would be quite valuable to this cause. I can also pitch in, time permitting, to implement it if you need me to. I grok db stuff, especially MySQL over SQLServer  ;D

I would suggest using this as a basis for a larger scale stats effort. I have some nice ideas that no one tracks beyond this fielding metrics (and already have nice format amenable seed data of all international players to import into a database of our choice). DD also had some good thoughts. We should start a thread of dicsussion on this, but any step you take now for ease of input and maintenance with the larger possibility in mind will be great.

From my standpoint, you can own the stats thread if you have the bandwidth and enthusiasm to architect the initial plan and continue with the larger vision. A couple of e-bondas thrown my way is all I ask ;D

Cool. I am putting together a (Very) normalized set of tables. The idea is that it can be used for more general stats in the future. I can push that into the site, throw on a few (ugly) forms and let people enter ( and view reports  of ) stats for this series. I can get the stuff ready in time for the next test ( we can retro-actively enter the data from this one), and use the series as a beta-test. People can give us the feedback and we can go and change the schema. since we wont have too much data from just this one series, we can easily export the data out and import it into the database after any schema changes we might do based on feedback.

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
Suggestions
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 08:33:22 PM »

I don't think it is a good idea to mess with the SMF database tables--that's a complicated beast--and any changes, even if succesful, might make future updates difficult. A seperate database can be used to keep things intact with a userinterface for 5-10 ppl who can access that--perhaps a much simpler version of cricinfo stats.

Alternatively, it can be tested on a new instance of SMF that I can create under "/cvstatstest"

sgusa

Suggestions
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 09:01:45 PM »

I don't think it is a good idea to mess with the SMF database tables--that's a complicated beast--and any changes, even if succesful, might make future updates difficult. A seperate database can be used to keep things intact with a userinterface for 5-10 ppl who can access that--perhaps a much simpler version of cricinfo stats.

Alternatively, it can be tested on a new instance of SMF that I can create under "/cvstatstest"

Dex, we dont have to mess with the existing tables. We can just add my tables to the same database you use. We can code up some scripts ( what languages does your server's CGI allow you to use ? php/python/js/perl ? ) that will be served by some simple html forms (you can add to forms to a seperate section of the forum. ) and use the data to update said tables. We dont have to touch existing tables.

PS: It would help if I can take a look at the existing setup. Contact me via email.

sgusa

Suggestions
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 05:23:10 AM »

Err, when did broadbat and Pips become mods ?

CricketvoiceMods

• Global Moderator
  • 12th Man
Suggestions
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 05:37:38 AM »

Names of those who volunteered to update the stats were forwarded on by project leader KOP...and were all given mod powers for this board. They can edit the main post to keep it updated. The mod powers only apply to this particular board and have been assigned for this project.

sgusa

Suggestions
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 05:38:34 AM »

Names of those who volunteered to update the stats were forwarded on by project leader KOP...and were all given mod powers for this board. They can edit the main post to keep it updated. The mod powers only apply to this particular board and have been assigned for this project.

Coooooooollll! :) Still waiting to hear about my proposal. I would need under the hood access, though.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 05:40:10 AM by sgusa »

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
Re: Suggestions
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 08:02:04 AM »

IMO, we should wait and see how this works (i.e. how many people still maintain interest) before investing any time into it any more than filling in the data  :) Given the small group of people who're undertaking this project for now, I think we can manage with the basic table we have right now.  I'm in touch with kop and will discuss with him the specific needs before going ahead with anything else.

sgusa

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 08:03:58 AM »

IMO, we should wait and see how this works (i.e. how many people still maintain interest) before investing any time into it any more than filling in the data  :) Given the small group of people who're undertaking this project for now, I think we can manage with the small table we have right now.  I'm in touch with kop and will discuss with him the specific needs before going ahead with anything else.

But do you have a way of associating the comments for each fielding data with the fielding data ? After a few games it will be a pain to know why , say KKD has a score of 3 dropped catches.

kingcool1432

• Hakuna Matata
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 07:32:47 PM »

Wouldn't a wiki be a good middle-ground here? No mucking around with back-end stuff, and much easier to post/update/keep-track, and would probably support much better formatting options than posting here does. I see the site already has a defunct wiki section, so maybe that could be put to good use.
Reality continues to ruin my life.  Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat, p67-1

sgusa

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 07:36:57 PM »

Wouldn't a wiki be a good middle-ground here? No mucking around with back-end stuff, and much easier to post/update/keep-track, and would probably support much better formatting options than posting here does. I see the site already has a defunct wiki section, so maybe that could be put to good use.

makes perfect sense. Give the same people write authority and have a submission mechanism for the rest.

Only draw back is interesting queries cant be performed on the data like in a DB implementation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up