Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Fielding and Umpiring Data  (Read 11189 times)

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
Fielding and Umpiring Data
« on: July 19, 2007, 06:45:59 AM »

FIELDING

PlayerOverall Catches(Great ones)|Catches Dropped | Run Outs| Run Outs missed|
Wasim Jaffer0000
Dinesh Kartik0100
Rahul Dravid1000
Sachin Tendulkar0100
Saurav Ganguly0000
VVS Laxman0000
MS Dhoni1000
Anil Kumble0000
Zaheer Khan0000
S Sreesanth0000
Ranadeb Bose0000

Date range:
Start: 1st Test - India vs England Lord July 19th 2007
End: 1st Test - India vs England Lord July 19th 2007

Notes:

- Dinesh Kartik dropped a sitter at cover and let Andrew Strauss off Eng-India, 1st test Jul 2007, 1st innings. Strauss was 43 and went on to score 96.

UMPIRING

Umpire|Missed Catches|Incorrect Catches|Missed LBW|Incorrect LBW|Missed NB|Incorrect NB|
Simon Taufel000000
Steve Bucknor000100

Date range:
Start: 1st Test - India vs England Lord July 19th 2007
End: 1st Test - India vs England Lord July 19th 2007

Notes:

- Bucknor gave a poor decision to award Alistair Cook out LBW off Ganguly. The ball going down the slope would have missed off stump. Eng-India, 1st test Jul 2007, 1st innings.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 05:35:17 AM by broadbat »

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
Re: Fielding and Umpiring Data
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 05:40:55 PM »

OK.. here is what i noticed today..
1. AK dove over a ball that went for 4
2. AK dove to save a sure 4
3. KKD dropped a sitter
4. SG dove over a ball and let it go for 4 (2 runs were already there for the taking)
5. SRT dove over a drive and let it go for 4
6. Cook LBW was a marginal decision by Bucknor
Play with heart. Win with class. Lose with dignity

kban1

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 05:45:33 PM »

KKD saved 4
ZK conceded 4 by not diving (1-2 runs were there for the taking)
SS conceded a single
SRT saved one run -some nifty work at 3rd man -preventing boundary by running back from slips

kban1

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 05:49:16 PM »

ZK concedes a 4 (3 extra runs)

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 06:14:31 PM »

Folks - I am not going to track misfield runs in tests. We'll try doing this for ODIs though. If any of you feel this will be valuable in tests too, please be my guest. My concern was the burden on us contributors in tests - hopefully it flies for ODIs.

I have updated the table accordingly. Thanks for all your comments! If we can continue this for a while, this should prove quite handy and be link worthy.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 06:16:51 PM by kingofprussia »
I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. - (thanks, Hugh Gallagher)

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 08:07:32 PM »

sgusa, Yes, I think it would be quite valuable to this cause. I can also pitch in, time permitting, to implement it if you need me to. I grok db stuff, especially MySQL over SQLServer  ;D

I would suggest using this as a basis for a larger scale stats effort. I have some nice ideas that no one tracks beyond this fielding metrics (and already have nice format amenable seed data of all international players to import into a database of our choice). DD also had some good thoughts. We should start a thread of dicsussion on this, but any step you take now for ease of input and maintenance with the larger possibility in mind will be great.

From my standpoint, you can own the stats thread if you have the bandwidth and enthusiasm to architect the initial plan and continue with the larger vision. A couple of e-bondas thrown my way is all I ask ;D
I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. - (thanks, Hugh Gallagher)

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 08:36:36 PM »

i know we are not tracking 'good decisions' of umpires - not yet. but in any case there was only one contentious decision all day. i have jotted down some other observations (as a sample) just in case they might be useful:
--------------------

4.6 Khan to Cook, 4 byes, terrible line, full and swinging down leg side, Dhoni dives full length to his right but does not have a hope of saving it, four more byes, England are racing away

Bucknor gives it as leg byes

-

10.2 Sreesanth to Cook, no run, 137 kmh, the length on off stump draws Cook into playing the forward defence and the movement off the seam beats the outside edge

Notable decision by Bucknor. There was daylight between bat and ball, but noise of bat hitting pad

-

12.4 Sreesanth to Strauss, FOUR (Yorker outside edged through point/gully)

Appeal for lbw (it was a Yorker that was squeezed out through the offside) but it was only off the bat – correctly adjudged by Bucknor

-

14.4 Ganguly to Cook, OUT, gone! Ganguly strikes! First blood for India! Cook gets into his shot too early, to one right in front of the stumps, and plays over it as the ball angles across him, it pitches and hits him in line in front of about off stump, and after brief moment Steve Bucknor nods his head

Bucknor – pitching on leg (to left handed bat, right handed bowler), missing off. Given LBW. Looked out, but that is more because one cant note where it hit the pad (flicked the outside) on first look in full speed. Close decision, but turned out to be a wrong one. Commentators sympathize with Bucknor (“looked out”).
In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in a clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness. Our life is a long and arduous quest after Truth.
-- Mohandas K *hi

broadbat

• Team of the Century
  • A Man With A View
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 04:08:57 AM »

Just logging in what I noticed already noted by others.
1. KKD drops sitter at point of Strauss when on 43 of SS bowling
2. SRT mis field 65th over dives like beached whale at mid wicket off a MV flick, went for four. Bowler AK.

pipsqueak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 04:56:11 AM »

i don't know if bucknor's decision can be called "poor". it was incorrect as per hawk-eye but wasn't a glaring error, by any means.

feverpitch

• Team of the Century
  • Capitalism's final crisis (cartoon from 1969)
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 01:43:43 PM »

86.3     Sreesanth to Prior, OUT, Sreesanth joins the fun! Pitches full just outside off stump, the ball swings in and Prior, trying to turn it away, plays all over it, ball strikes him high on the back leg and he's unlucky to be given out by Bucknor as to the naked eye, and to replays, that ball was carrying on over the top of leg stump

MJ Prior lbw b Sreesanth 1 (7b 0x4 0x6) SR: 14.28
"Every rise of fascism bears witness to a failed revolution."
Walter Benjamin

feverpitch

• Team of the Century
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 02:14:09 PM »

2.4     Sidebottom to Jaffer, 1 run, edged and dropped! Jaffer lunges forward to a full delivery, gets a regulation edge, but Prior drops it, going one-handed to his right! And its a single to boot...
Walter Benjamin

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 10:46:58 PM »

Khan to Pietersen, no run, madness! Pietersen was beaten twice in the over, then gets one fuller outside off stump, drives hard, gets a thick edge, which replays clearly indicated hit the turf before Dhoni snapped it up! They all appealed, Simon Taufel raised the finger, Pietersen had already started to walk...then with the tv showing what happened - the ball did hit the grass just before going into Dhoni's gloves - and Pietersen is called back from near the ropes. The third umpire is referred to and NOT OUT is the verdict. Pietersen was almost home when he looked up at the balcony and saw his mates waving him back. People will have their views on this, I'm all too sure...

-----

86.3 Sreesanth to Prior, OUT, Sreesanth joins the fun! Pitches full just outside off stump, the ball swings in and Prior, trying to turn it away, plays all over it, ball strikes him high on the back leg and he's unlucky to be given out by Bucknor as to the naked eye, and to replays, that ball was carrying on over the top of leg stump

Bucknor – ball hitting high on the pad, going over the stumps

-----

26.6 Collingwood to Jaffer, no run, now he brings one in and Jaffer lunges forward, struck outside the line of off, Collingwood appeals but Taufel shakes his head

Tough decision by Taufel – doubt was because bat and pad were together. It hit the pad first, and hit just in line with offstump, on the replay. Very close decision.

In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in a clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness. Our life is a long and arduous quest after Truth.
-- Mohandas K *hi

broadbat

• Team of the Century
  • A Man With A View
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2007, 05:09:36 AM »

Third umpire decision of Dhoni catch of KP means it will have to go down as a missed catch against Dhoni.

kban1

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2007, 07:51:49 AM »

Third umpire decision of Dhoni catch of KP means it will have to go down as a missed catch against Dhoni.

no, it wont, IMO.

Ball bounced just before it reached Dhoni's gloves. Thats not a missed catch considering Dhoni was diving sideways and forward -- as a wicketkeeper, you really cannot do much if the ball is dying on you

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2007, 08:30:38 PM »

no, it wont, IMO.

Ball bounced just before it reached Dhoni's gloves. Thats not a missed catch considering Dhoni was diving sideways and forward -- as a wicketkeeper, you really cannot do much if the ball is dying on you

I did not watch this, but I'd have to agree with Kban (with the assumption that he is quoting it correctly)...can't do much if the ball falls short when you are making a diving effort.

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2007, 09:10:43 PM »

12.1 Khan to Cook, OUT, Zaheer strikes a second blow! Well bowled, pitching marginally outside the line of off stump, off a length, and swinging in to catch Cook playing forward and across on the bounce, in front of off stump

Bucknor gives LBW – hit outside the line of off (marginal)
-- Mohandas K *hi

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2007, 06:08:18 PM »

13.5    Tremlett to Dravid, OUT, gone, leg before! Dravid doesnt move the feet, pushing at a straight one that comes on from outside off stump, striking him marginally outside the line and after a brief thought Simon Taufel raises the finger of fate, thats a big wicket!

Taufel - hit outside the line of offstump, while attempting a shot. Poor decision
-- Mohandas K *hi

kban1

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2007, 06:52:39 PM »

SG: - 2 runs for runs not taken during batting

SG: +2 runs saved at boundary, -1 run conceded by not attacking the ball.

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
  • Thanda Thanda Kool Kool
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 04:51:20 AM »

13.5    Tremlett to Dravid, OUT, gone, leg before! Dravid doesnt move the feet, pushing at a straight one that comes on from outside off stump, striking him marginally outside the line and after a brief thought Simon Taufel raises the finger of fate, thats a big wicket!

Taufel - hit outside the line of offstump, while attempting a shot. Poor decision

wasn't this high as well?
Sachin Tendulkar gave the muhurat clap for 'Awwal Number' - that apart, he hasn't done much wrong in the last 20 yrs!

pipsqueak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2007, 05:55:04 AM »

weren't there 2-3 fumbles in the field by zaheer, jaffer and dinesh karthik(he also did a few saves)? also, i recall two throws at the stumps that went awry.

schumi

• Test Match Star
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2007, 09:01:40 PM »

wasn't this high as well?
The height was alright. Hawkeye showed it as hitting the stumps and it was just about the knee roll. The problem was it hit outside the line of off. RD didnt help it either. He tried to indicate that it was outside and he played a stroke (which he did) but that was clue enough for Taufel.

schumi

• Test Match Star
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2007, 09:02:56 PM »

weren't there 2-3 fumbles in the field by zaheer, jaffer and dinesh karthik(he also did a few saves)? also, i recall two throws at the stumps that went awry.

One fumble by ZK was at fineleg where he gave away a clear extra run after failing to pickup the ball.

broadbat

• Team of the Century
  • A Man With A View
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2007, 04:13:02 AM »

Panesar to SS - OUT LBW to everyone but Bucknor!

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2007, 06:07:41 AM »

Panesar to SS - OUT LBW to everyone but Bucknor!

finally, for a change!  :icon_thumleft:

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2007, 03:15:49 PM »

2nd Test:

14.4     Singh to Pietersen, OUT, and he's got him - very well bowled by Singh. Full and straight, swinging back into Pietersen who tried to whip it to leg but was trapped in front - the ball would have taken out middle quite comfortably

- Ian Howell. Hawkeye disagrees with cricinfo - going over the stumps. Ball hit KP on the thigh pad of his back leg. Looked a fair decision though
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 03:21:21 PM by dhruvdeepak »
-- Mohandas K *hi

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2007, 03:19:19 PM »

15.1    Sreesanth to Cook, no run, very close indeed and I'm calling it, it looks absolutely plumb. Swinging into Cook and rapping him on the pads, dead in front. Replays don't appear to indicate he hit it, but it did look a bit high. Either way, here's there to fight another ball

- 3 deliveries later, different umpire, Taufel gives the benefit of the doubt for height. Front foot forward, hit above the kneeroll. Hawkeye says it would just hit the top of the bails (fair enough decision)
-- Mohandas K *hi

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2007, 12:31:38 AM »

15.1    Sreesanth to Cook, no run, very close indeed and I'm calling it, it looks absolutely plumb. Swinging into Cook and rapping him on the pads, dead in front. Replays don't appear to indicate he hit it, but it did look a bit high. Either way, here's there to fight another ball

- 3 deliveries later, different umpire, Taufel gives the benefit of the doubt for height. Front foot forward, hit above the kneeroll. Hawkeye says it would just hit the top of the bails (fair enough decision)

They have been giving this OUT. Not sure if it is fair in the context of umpiring in this series

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2007, 01:51:03 AM »

Can someone update the catches dropped...I heard SRT dropped a dolly (AN Cook?)

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2007, 01:59:08 AM »

48.4     Khan to Tremlett, no run, dropped Zaheer finds the edge, the ball zips to Tendulkar at knee height ...he did everything right except catch it. It went into the middle of his hands and out again

Tendulkar drops a sitter.

kban1

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2007, 03:59:15 AM »

Ganguly saved  4 runs (+4), surprise, SS gave away 2 runs at the boundary (-2), RD allowed 5 (-5)

feverpitch

• Team of the Century
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2007, 04:06:53 AM »

2nd Test:

14.4     Singh to Pietersen, OUT, and he's got him - very well bowled by Singh. Full and straight, swinging back into Pietersen who tried to whip it to leg but was trapped in front - the ball would have taken out middle quite comfortably

- Ian Howell. Hawkeye disagrees with cricinfo - going over the stumps. Ball hit KP on the thigh pad of his back leg. Looked a fair decision though

The Independent agrees with CI though.
Walter Benjamin

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2007, 03:13:06 AM »

India 84/0. Kartick 44*
28.1 Panesar to Karthik, no run, and he nearly strikes first ball, with a very close shout for lbw. Overpitched, it's true, but that's a risky sweep to be playing there 
--
This was plumb. Not given by Ian Howell

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2007, 03:15:16 AM »

India 89/0   W Jaffer 36*
30.1 Panesar to Jaffer, no run, on off, and that's a very loud shout indeed, striking him right on the pad. It looked very out, and he's not a happy Monty 
--
The ball hit him just outside off, "live"..but in line per hawkeye. Marginal decision. Not given by Ian Howell

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2007, 03:43:40 AM »

Zaheer Khan to (Panesar I think) during ENG 1st Inn. Clear LBW.
Howell denies it.

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2007, 01:31:17 PM »

Taufel big time screws up SRT lbw. Outside off impact, going outside off, high as well.

broadbat

• Team of the Century
  • A Man With A View
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2007, 05:36:22 AM »

SRT drops Tremlett of ZK in first innings

kban1

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2007, 05:54:08 AM »

Bigger umpiring error that SRT's - SG given out caught behind, again Taufel

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
  • Thanda Thanda Kool Kool
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2007, 05:55:34 AM »

SS was not out as well
Sachin Tendulkar gave the muhurat clap for 'Awwal Number' - that apart, he hasn't done much wrong in the last 20 yrs!

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2007, 05:26:30 PM »

Any umpiring errors when ENG was batting in 2nd Inn at Trent Bridge? Please post.

feverpitch

• Team of the Century
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2007, 06:05:27 PM »

Colly, Pietersen, Vaughan not given out.
Walter Benjamin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up