Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on Airlines  (Read 9262 times)

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
Re: Advice on Airlines
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2007, 06:34:05 PM »

all good to go. Bangkok here I come....17 hours on the plane with a horde of lithe Thai babes to get to know. Good times.

"I am leaving.... on a jet plane" :)

Nice.
"...that is me offering you an olive basket... ...and that is you spitting in my face."

Scott Caan as Turk Malloy

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2007, 12:58:46 AM »

okay guys...change in plans. I am flying straight in to Bangalore instead of going to the Persian Gulf. Thai airways has 17hr leg to Bangkok...any experience with Thai Airways?

Have a good stay and remember no herb smoking in B'lore

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2007, 01:30:54 AM »

thanks fineleg
"...that is me offering you an olive basket... ...and that is you spitting in my face."

pipsqueak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2007, 04:16:24 AM »

okay guys...change in plans. I am flying straight in to Bangalore instead of going to the Persian Gulf. Thai airways has 17hr leg to Bangkok...any experience with Thai Airways?

i have flown thai a few times (only short hops though and not long hauls). they have a direct flight from bangkok to chennai that reaches chennai at 11:30am, making it very convenient. in-flight service was quite good(but then my needs are minimal), the interior was nice and clean, with of course, the smiling air-hostesses, as always.

i didn't pay attention to the thai women, lithe or otherwise. i always seem to end up having an elderly gentleman next to me(i pick the window seat) who is full of Q's that i answer politely.

the only irksome thing was that i was asked to pick up my boarding pass for my connecting flight to chennai at bangkok. the counters that handle this were at an awkward place, with many lines and quite crowded. i think they should improve that part. also, there are quite a few security checks at the airport. they did not let me carry my coffee past the security check, and sip it while waiting at the gate. i don't think the airport has wi-fi(not 100%certain), unlike most other airports in this part of the world.

other than that, i have no complaints and in fact, have blocked tickets by thai for another trip to chennai.

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2007, 04:20:23 AM »

(but then my needs are minimal),

:o (Non-High-Maintenance? really?)  :icon_jokercolor:

i didn't pay attention to the thai women, lithe or otherwise. i always seem to end up having an elderly gentleman next to me(i pick the window seat) who is full of Q's that i answer politely.

Patient too  :o
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 04:23:41 AM by fineleg »

kban1

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2007, 04:28:03 AM »

pietersan:

That 17 hour leg is actually split into 2 -- usually Thai has a stopover at Tokyo which for some reason is actually undisclosed.

Its a 2 hour stopover and when I flew, I found it to be a nuisance because it extended the flight. But maybe I was too eager to get to my destination and perhaps overlooked the advantage of the stopover - achance to stretch one's legs.

On another note, Thai's service from Bangkok to the Indian destination is not quite as great.

Beware of Bangkok customs (which I presume you have to clear because of the one night stopover usually involved) -- because they deal with with a lot of "carriers" of Indian origin and if you are not dressed sharp, you tend to get identified as a suspect from a smuggling standpoint and then comes the question of bribes.

Finally, I am not sure what their current schedule is but usually Thai used to have on both legs, an overnight stopover at Bangkok -- for which they would provide the accommodation.

They changed that some time back to providing accommodation for one leg of the trip and accomodation at passenger cost for another leg.

They further changed that by providing accomodation on one leg of the trip and no accomodation on another leg --except this time, the lag became 2 nights on the return trip (the leg they would not cover).

I suspect Thai lost a lot of customers due to this, so I am not sure if they changed policies or not. Also, given your destination is Bangalore, the timings may be different.

Nevertheless, things worth remembering.

Jai

• Team of the Century
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2007, 05:33:07 AM »

I have flown several times by Singapore and Thai. Both are good, but SIngapore is a bit better. I have also travelled by Air France, Delta, Emirates, British Aiways, but those were from Europe. This year I flew free with Singapore using my CC miles.  :D I travelled by Thai when they used to provide accomadations and transportations. I remember once staying at a very nice hotel. My flight was next day in the evening. So I rented a car and did some sightseeing. At that time, 1 USD was equal to 65 Baht. So I literally had a ball. But in general I feel service of both Singapore and Thai are not quite the same as they used to be. And nowadays, I just don't enjoy long flights anymore.

pipsqueak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2007, 05:37:14 AM »

yes. i am an angel.  :angel2:

sgusa

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2007, 05:39:48 AM »

Lucifer was one too :)

pipsqueak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2007, 05:45:49 AM »

he turned DEVIL - i turn DEVI. please to note the difference.

feverpitch

• Team of the Century
  • Capitalism's final crisis (cartoon from 1969)
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2007, 05:47:20 AM »

Fineleg, should one consider this name calling? ::Whip:: I just want to get a measure of what you mean by the word consistency.
"Every rise of fascism bears witness to a failed revolution."
Walter Benjamin

vincent

• Team of the Century
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2007, 07:54:09 AM »

Bangkok has now a brand new Airport since about 9 months. It is nice but somewhat sterile. Because of some problems in the construction they have now transferred some flights back to the old airport. Make sure to check your connecting flight to India does leave from the new airport. (Logic says only domestic flights would be shifted. But many times, airports do not use logic).

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2007, 01:55:18 PM »

Thanks MT, kban, vincent

I get in at Bangkok at 6:10am. I have 15 hours to kill before the connection, but I doubt they are going to put me up anywhere. It says I arrive and depart from Bangkok Suvarnabhumi International Airport. So I figure this is the new airport.

sudzz

• Team of the Century
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2007, 05:59:19 PM »

all good to go. Bangkok here I come....17 hours on the plane with a horde of lithe Thai babes to get to know. Good times.

Nice.

Bangalore is absolutely awesome right now weather wise, quite pleasant most of the time and I have been lucky to not get caught in famous traffic jams as well...

sudzz

• Team of the Century
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2007, 06:11:59 PM »

My wife and kids flew Thai from Dxb to Chn and apparently had a very bad time of it, what with a man going crazy on board (literally crazy like tearing off his clothes etc) and then none of the on board staff doing anything but control this guy while my wife was dealing with a two year old with high fever and vomiting....

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2007, 06:16:14 PM »

Perhaps, this is the time for an DG India Meet ?!? All in India should try to get together in a common place ?!?

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2007, 06:28:31 PM »

My wife and kids flew Thai from Dxb to Chn and apparently had a very bad time of it, what with a man going crazy on board (literally crazy like tearing off his clothes etc) and then none of the on board staff doing anything but control this guy while my wife was dealing with a two year old with high fever and vomiting....

Yikes!!

But flights from Dubai/Abu Dhabi to Kerala invariably have a weirdo or two.

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2007, 06:30:19 PM »

Perhaps, this is the time for an DG India Meet ?!? All in India should try to get together in a common place ?!?

Right - and Bangalore would be the place to have it.

kingcool1432

• Hakuna Matata
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2007, 06:30:59 PM »

Yikes!!

And if everyone else seems perfectly fine, then maybe its you ;)
Reality continues to ruin my life.  Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat, p67-1

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2007, 06:40:40 PM »

Yikes!!

it would explain all the looks that I get.... and no ruchir, not after tearing off my clothes.

sgusa

« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2007, 06:49:55 PM »

Yikes!!

it would explain all the looks that I get.... and no ruchir, not after tearing off my clothes.

What DO you get after tearing off your clothes ? :)

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2007, 08:19:24 PM »

Yikes!!

...a cold shower.

sgusa

« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2007, 08:27:14 PM »

Yikes!!

...a cold shower.

Poor you  ::Whip:: ::Whip::

pipsqueak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2007, 11:32:30 PM »

Thanks MT, kban, vincent

I get in at Bangkok at 6:10am. I have 15 hours to kill before the connection, but I doubt they are going to put me up anywhere. It says I arrive and depart from Bangkok Suvarnabhumi International Airport. So I figure this is the new airport.

yes. it is the new one. 15 hours? ouch! you may likely reach b'lore faster if you take the chennai flight and head to b'lore from chennai! (the b'kok-chennai flight is at about 10:00am or so) you should check into that possibility.

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2007, 11:46:49 PM »

Thanks MT, kban, vincent

yes. it is the new one. 15 hours? ouch! you may likely reach b'lore faster if you take the chennai flight and head to b'lore from chennai! (the b'kok-chennai flight is at about 10:00am or so) you should check into that possibility.

I did consider this. It would be what most people would do but where others would have seen misery I saw opportunity.

pipsqueak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2007, 11:57:21 PM »

Thanks MT, kban, vincent

I did consider this. It would be what most people would do but where others would have seen misery I saw opportunity.

heh, let me just caution you that the chances of lithe, lissome thai girls wandering about the transit area of the international airport is rather slim. the connecting flights to india are taken by mostly indians flying out of other places, say, NZ, australia etc. they are usually non-lithe housewives w bawling children, very non-lithe husbands, business men and such. i did come across an interesting indian man the last time - he was wearing robes and chappels, with an elderly american woman in tow. i suspect he had promised her a spiritual journey of some sort, based on the facial expressions and his general demeanour - i cdn't sit near enough to catch all the conversation.

bangkok airport is a rather boring place, otherwise. (unless you intend to get a thai visa and wander out - THAT would be a whole new experience)

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2007, 12:06:51 AM »

bangkok airport is a rather boring place, otherwise. (unless you intend to get a thai visa and wander out - THAT would be a whole new experience)

With jiet's penchant for seeking out folks wearing Jamaican flag on their shirts, THAT is zigjacktly what he might do.

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2007, 12:45:38 AM »

With jiet's penchant for seeking out folks wearing Jamaican flag on their shirts, THAT is zigjacktly what he might do.

We understand each other so well.  ;D

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2007, 12:51:34 AM »

Quote from: pipsqueak
he was wearing robes and chappels

indeed
In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in a clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness. Our life is a long and arduous quest after Truth.
-- Mohandas K *hi

pipsqueak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2007, 01:01:32 AM »

indeed

?? is that not how it is spelt? you know, something like this:

ah, 'chappal'
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 01:09:41 AM by pipsqueak »

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2007, 01:06:28 AM »

indeed

?? is that not how it is spelt? you know, something like this:

Bathroom slippers from bata?

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2007, 08:19:35 PM »

Nice.

Bangalore is absolutely awesome right now weather wise, quite pleasant most of the time and I have been lucky to not get caught in famous traffic jams as well...
Damn.. you were in B'lore too. I was there 3 days ago. JFK, you and I could have got together. Oh well.

I agree.. the B'lore weather is absolutely fantastic now. Cool breeze in the morning with occasional afternoon showers...and I was waking up at 5AM in the morning to the sounds of Cuckoo! Fantastic.
Play with heart. Win with class. Lose with dignity

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2007, 08:39:42 PM »

Thanks MT, kban, vincent

Watch-out for those flyers that are constantly slipped under the door of your hotel room selling "special" services ;D ;D

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2007, 08:59:16 PM »

BTW, hearing a lot of positives about Etihad's business class.

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2007, 09:56:08 PM »

Air India's Non-stop from NY to Mumbai starting Aug 1

http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/videos.aspx?id=15596
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up