Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on Airlines  (Read 9261 times)

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
Advice on Airlines
« on: July 10, 2007, 04:26:56 PM »

Any experience with Qatar Airways, flying to the Persian Gulf? Any suggestions? Thanks.
"...that is me offering you an olive basket... ...and that is you spitting in my face."

Scott Caan as Turk Malloy

Cover Point

• Team of the Century
Re: Advice on Airlines
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 06:30:37 PM »

Any experience with Qatar Airways, flying to the Persian Gulf? Any suggestions? Thanks.

I would avoid going to the gulf. I hear there is a small fight going on in the area.

sgusa

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 06:34:22 PM »

CP, you might want to ask him where he wants to land, though :)

He mentions something about flying TO the Persian Gulf. Kinda hard to avoid the gulf if that is where one intends to land !

Cover Point

• Team of the Century
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 06:41:09 PM »

He mentions something about flying TO the Persian Gulf. Kinda hard to avoid the gulf if that is where one intends to land !

So correction. You can ATTEMPT to go to the gulf. Where u land will be determined by outside forces.

sgusa

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 06:48:21 PM »

So correction. You can ATTEMPT to go to the gulf. Where u land will be determined by outside forces.

unnecessary correction :) I used "Want", "intend". Said nothing about actually landing :)

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 10:25:19 PM »

Thanks guys....I knew I could count on you.  :)
"...that is me offering you an olive basket... ...and that is you spitting in my face."

feverpitch

• Team of the Century
  • Capitalism's final crisis (cartoon from 1969)
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 03:26:37 AM »

actually, i find there to be a big gulf in the service between the various gulf airlines and the brit/american airlines. on cattle class, emirates is waay ahead... followed by royal jordan, and although i havent travelled either kuwait or qatar, ive heard that they are not as bad as british. depending on routes, singapore is the best though.
"Every rise of fascism bears witness to a failed revolution."
Walter Benjamin

Aloo Kashmiri Ul Haq

• Bismallah Rahim izzz I izzz score 15017 runs
  • Team of the Century
  • sekho na naino ki bhasha..
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 04:00:46 AM »

actually, i find there to be a big gulf in the service between the various gulf airlines and the brit/american airlines. on cattle class, emirates is waay ahead... followed by royal jordan, and although i havent travelled either kuwait or qatar, ive heard that they are not as bad as british. depending on routes, singapore is the best though.

Have heard not so good stuff about Kuwait, they have severe technical snags at times including the non availability of seats inspite of you having a ticket
Why did the chicken cross the road?

According to Le Chatelier:

The chicken crossed the road because there were too many moles of chicken
on the reactants side of the road equilibrium.

feverpitch

• Team of the Century
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 04:13:42 AM »

Have heard not so good stuff about Kuwait, they have severe technical snags at times including the non availability of seats inspite of you having a ticket

well... can't comment on that. but certainly, my worst experience has been with american and british... always
merkins have the most ramshakle and dirty planes... and brits have the least legspace, poor service on the asian leg [heathrow to india] and are always snooty on the atlantic leg. i've also lost luggage everytime on british.
Walter Benjamin

poondu

• Team of the Century
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 04:17:00 AM »

well... can't comment on that. but certainly, my worst experience has been with american and british... and brits have the least legspace, poor service on the asian leg [heathrow to india] and are always snooty on the atlantic leg. i've also lost luggage everytime on british.

I had the same experience , BA sucks. I have travelled in Kuwait also, much better than BA.

sgusa

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 04:30:11 AM »

well... can't comment on that. but certainly, my worst experience has been with american and british... and brits have the least legspace, poor service on the asian leg [heathrow to india] and are always snooty on the atlantic leg. i've also lost luggage everytime on british.

I had the same experience , BA sucks. I have travelled in Kuwait also, much better than BA.

Wierd. I have had the second best service on BA. Korean Air has been my fav!

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Chamat song
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 05:17:26 AM »

I second that. Korean Air treats you great, if you can handle the communication gap. 10+ years ago, their planes were supposedly unreliable and had all sorts of tech problems. But I don't read of any such reports of late. Plus their prices are always competitive.

Some 5 years ago, soon after 9/11 I had gone to SFO to drop off someone on a Korean flight. And there was this elderly Gujju man with a terribly expired Indian passport fighting with them to be put on the flight, even with such an old passport. He was loudly shouting in Hindi that he will deal with the situation in India and Korean Air should not interfere with him. They did not know what to do, he was getting louder and louder and I was watching the drama totally amused. All of a sudden the cust service manager walks up to me, asks me what I think. I say, yeah, he probably can sort himself out in India if you allow him to change flights in Seoul. He makes a few calls, and then allows this man through! All this not even a year post 9/11. My respect for Korean Air was infinite after the incident -- not because they asked me, but because they bent what was a clear law in favor of a clueless desi passenger. If this were British Air, that Gujju man would have been in lock-up.

I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. - (thanks, Hugh Gallagher)

sgusa

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 05:28:55 AM »

I second that. Korean Air treats you great, if you can handle the communication gap. 10+ years ago, their planes were supposedly unreliable and had all sorts of tech problems. But I don't read of any such reports of late. Plus their prices are always competitive.

Some 5 years ago, soon after 9/11 I had gone to SFO to drop off someone on a Korean flight. And there was this elderly Gujju man with a terribly expired Indian passport fighting with them to be put on the flight, even with such an old passport. He was loudly shouting in Hindi that he will deal with the situation in India and Korean Air should not interfere with him. They did not know what to do, he was getting louder and louder and I was watching the drama totally amused. All of a sudden the cust service manager walks up to me, asks me what I think. I say, yeah, he probably can sort himself out in India if you allow him to change flights in Seoul. He makes a few calls, and then allows this man through! All this not even a year post 9/11. My respect for Korean Air was infinite after the incident -- not because they asked me, but because they bent what was a clear law in favor of a clueless desi passenger. If this were British Air, that Gujju man would have been in lock-up.

I flew Korean Air recently. They have new planes ( fantastic entertainment systems, BTW). They had GREAT veg food (yes, on a korean Airlines) , on the Seoul-Bombay sector they had GREAT Desi food. I can only imagine how the non-vegetarians would relish their options. Service is fantastic, the flight attendents are hot, very courteous and come by frequently to provide refreshments and take special orders with a smile. Throw in the very attractive prices and you have a winner.

vincent

• Team of the Century
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 08:15:45 AM »

Compared to US Airlines and Air India any Airline would be good. I have flown Kuwait Airways couple of times. They are good,if you do not mind not having booze while flying. But Qatar Airways wants to be couple of notches better equalling Etihad Airways and Emirates. They have modern fleet and have modernized their airport for the recent Asian Games. The shorter leg from Qatar to India may not be that good (apart from food) since it caters to mostly the immigrant workers from India and hence most middle-east Airlines "take it easy" on this route. But I have not flown them yet, so you may be in for a good surprise even on that leg.

feverpitch

• Team of the Century
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 08:25:46 AM »

Emirates is good on the Asian leg too. And they serve all varieties of liquor in copious quantities. they also have the best legspace, food, service, entertainment and airport transfer amongst all the mid east airlines. Their fleet is perhaps the most modern of all the fleets.

PS: Vince, I disagree on your clubbing the Maharaja with Delta/American. Esp if you consider all factors, incl the amount of luggage they allow you.
Walter Benjamin

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 08:26:39 AM »

How is the comparison between Singapore Airlines, Malaysian Airlines and Korean Air?
Any reviews?

feverpitch

• Team of the Century
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 08:28:08 AM »

How is the comparison between Singapore Airlines, Malaysian Airlines and Korean Air?
Any reviews?

I'm waiting for you to post your googled results for us all.
Walter Benjamin

sgusa

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2007, 08:31:24 AM »

Any reviews?

My take

Price: Korean Air wins this one
# of jumps: Korean air. West Coast -> Seoul -> Bombay, as opposed to {1-2 jumps in WC}-{Tokyo/HK/BK}--{Sing/KL}--India for rest
Service: Sing by a hair width, I suppose
Facilities: Sing, very closely followed by KA
Total comfort: Pretty much equal

pipsqueak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2007, 08:34:21 AM »

my worst flying experience to date has been on singapore airlines. i found their ground staff at LA extraordinarily unfriendly, they lost my baggage and eventually sent me some paltry sum of money that was less than the cost of the bag, forget the contents. my connecting domestic flight had arrived late and so i had to rush to the international terminal - i was refused entry into the plane even though the departure was 30 minutes away and the next flight out was 24 hours later. i was making a quick 7 day trip to india for some urgent reasons - they made me lose a day and were totally nonchalant about it. i had chosen s'pore, paying a lot more just to avoid any whatsoever hassle but ended up having the worst experience.

i have travelled with them since then with no such nightmares but i cannot get over this experience.

i rank thai/malaysian and cathay pacific way above s'pore airlines. qantas was a pleasant experience too but the immigration/customs procedure in australia is A..W..F..U..L!

i flew korean once and it was okay.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 08:40:34 AM by pipsqueak »

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2007, 08:46:01 AM »

Any reviews?

My take

Price: Korean Air wins this one
# of jumps: Korean air. West Coast -> Seoul -> Bombay, as opposed to {1-2 jumps in WC}-{Tokyo/HK/BK}--{Sing/KL}--India for rest
Service: Sing by a hair width, I suppose
Facilities: Sing, very closely followed by KA
Total comfort: Pretty much equal

Used to be Singapore food rated highly...but u have indicated that KA food is good (surprising news that)

Also SA baggage handling used to be rated high.

Is Malaysian quite poor these days?

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2007, 08:48:44 AM »

my worst flying experience to date has been on singapore airlines. i found their ground staff at LA extraordinarily unfriendly, they lost my baggage and eventually sent me some paltry sum of money that was less than the cost of the bag, forget the contents. my connecting domestic flight had arrived late and so i had to rush to the international terminal - i was refused entry into the plane even though the departure was 30 minutes away and the next flight out was 24 hours later. i was making a quick 7 day trip to india for some urgent reasons - they made me lose a day and were totally nonchalant about it. i had chosen s'pore, paying a lot more just to avoid any whatsoever hassle but ended up having the worst experience.

i have travelled with them since then with no such nightmares but i cannot get over this experience.

i rank thai/malaysian and cathay pacific way above s'pore airlines. qantas was a pleasant experience too but the immigration/customs procedure in australia is A..W..F..U..L!

Sad to hear about your Singapore experience...Usually I think they are efficient. It seems like you have had better experience next time onwards with SA too.

I forgot about Cathay!!! Cathay used to be rated well too...MT - any specifics on Cathay? Food, Service?

pipsqueak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2007, 09:41:07 AM »

Sad to hear about your Singapore experience...Usually I think they are efficient. It seems like you have had better experience next time onwards with SA too.

I forgot about Cathay!!! Cathay used to be rated well too...MT - any specifics on Cathay? Food, Service?

i don't care about airlines food - always some greasy muck. it is not like they serve me hot venn pongal w masala vadai and filter kaapi.

i don't drink alcohol and so cannot really say much about the quality of that.

ground service, efficiency, accommodating requests - quite commendable (again, my experience). usually more pricey which is a bit annoying. during my last trip to US/canada, baggage didn't make it across to the connecting flights (again, coz of delays) but it was promptly sent by the next flight and delivered to me.

i guess baggage handling is more to do with the airport and not airlines but stilll.....
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 09:56:19 AM by pipsqueak »

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2007, 09:48:36 AM »

Greasy muck!!! LOL! :icon_jokercolor: Should have seen that one coming.

Danke for the post.

vincent

• Team of the Century
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2007, 10:04:56 AM »

i don't care about airlines food - always some greasy muck. it is not like they serve me hot venn pongal w masala vadai and filter kaapi. i don't drink alcohol and so cannot really say much about the quality of that.

ground service, efficiency, accommodating requests - quite commendable (again, my experience). usually more pricey which is a bit annoying. during my last trip to US/canada, baggage didn't make it across to the connecting flights (again, coz of delays) but it was promptly sent by the next flight and delivered to me.

i guess baggage handling is more to do with the airport and not airlines but stilll.....

Well, you do get that kind of food on domestic airlines like Kingfisher.

sgusa

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2007, 10:10:23 AM »

i don't care about airlines food - always some greasy muck. it is not like they serve me hot venn pongal w masala vadai and filter kaapi. i don't drink alcohol and so cannot really say much about the quality of that.

I got nice idlies on Korean Air :)

pipsqueak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2007, 10:20:11 AM »

well, when i travel domestic within india, i usually eat home or at some restaurant. i don't really care much about food on a 2-3 hour flight and invariably, the indian food served is above my spice tolerance limits.

cathay also served idlis - bite-sized ones w corn embedded!!! bizarre.

Nima

• First Class Player
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2007, 12:42:28 PM »

I never had any problems with Singapore airlines, I found them quite good.  Quantas is equally good, but the vegetarian food sucks.

Customs in Aus is the worst, there are so many restrictions in what one can bring, all food items needs to be declared, can't bring banana chips, any sweets made out of ghee/milk (customs have a chart of all the sweets, complete with names, recipes etc) all wood items needs to be declared etc etc.  They are too paranoid....

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2007, 08:51:40 PM »

Appreciate it guys....at this point Qatar Airways sounds good.

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2007, 10:56:08 PM »

well, when i travel domestic within india, i usually eat home or at some restaurant. i don't really care much about food on a 2-3 hour flight and invariably, the indian food served is above my spice tolerance limits.

That is bizarre indeed! Next they will have brocolli embedded!

sgusa

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2007, 10:57:13 PM »

At which point I should be allowed to hurt the caterers however I please.

Vile weed! ( 3 brownie points for guessing the reference )

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2007, 05:08:02 AM »

way too easy. newman, Seinfeld
In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in a clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness. Our life is a long and arduous quest after Truth.
-- Mohandas K *hi

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2007, 06:44:08 AM »

way too easy. newman, Seinfeld

Good catch.

sudzz

• Team of the Century
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2007, 02:04:06 PM »

I travelled Qatar from Doha to Chennai, service was good but slightly ameturish (maybe because of the sector) otherwise pretty good. My friends that have flown longer distances (read as West-London/New York) rave about the aircrafts, comforts and the general service levels...so maybe worth a dekko

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2007, 03:52:28 PM »

okay guys...change in plans. I am flying straight in to Bangalore instead of going to the Persian Gulf. Thai airways has 17hr leg to Bangkok...any experience with Thai Airways?

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2007, 05:00:04 PM »

okay guys...change in plans. I am flying straight in to Bangalore instead of going to the Persian Gulf. Thai airways has 17hr leg to Bangkok...any experience with Thai Airways?

Bangalore ?!? When ?!? We should try to meet up  ;)

Cover Point

• Team of the Century
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2007, 05:10:15 PM »

I will be there April 11th 1992. Can we meet at the Kamath in the Majestic area?

vincent

• Team of the Century
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2007, 05:45:29 PM »

I recently flew from Bangkok to Bombay with Thai. They are really good. But the leg from Bangkok to Bombay was short so we could not really enjoy it.

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2007, 05:48:16 PM »

I'll be in Bangalore July 27 through August 8 (at the very least). It would be fun to get together and catch some of action from England.  :)

pieterSAN

• Team of the Century
  • Helwe
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2007, 06:05:49 PM »

all good to go. Bangkok here I come....17 hours on the plane with a horde of lithe Thai babes to get to know. Good times.

sgusa

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2007, 06:17:05 PM »

all good to go. Bangkok here I come....17 hours on the plane with a horde of lithe Thai babes to get to know. Good times.

"I am leaving.... on a jet plane" :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up