Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MBA School Help  (Read 2672 times)

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
MBA School Help
« on: May 30, 2007, 05:20:11 PM »

Hey Everyone,
As some of you know, I'm looking at business schools for next year. (I might wait for a few years perhaps, to get some work exp., still ill be taking GMAT later this summer)

Perhaps some of you have done research already on which MBA programs give scholarships/loans to international students as well. Help would be appreciated!

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
Re: MBA School Help
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 06:22:16 PM »

Have you looked at McCombs?

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 09:52:46 PM »

Talk to Avinash and Shukla
Play with heart. Win with class. Lose with dignity

Shukla

• World XI Star
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 06:32:55 AM »

dexy, what are you looking to do post mba?

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 06:37:02 AM »

Abe, what else?  :icon_jokercolor:

All the honeys who making money
Throw your hands up at me
All the mommas who profit dollars
All the ladies who truly feel me

[youtube=425,350]WuMmfDWMLgY[/youtube]
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 06:39:15 AM by fineleg »

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 06:38:40 AM »

can't say ive given it much thought. my majors are in economics and writing/communication.

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 06:40:34 AM »

can't say ive given it much thought. my majors are in economics and writing/communication.

If you want to do Marketing, get into Northwestern. (No more dg for you, go work ur butt off for gmat  ::Whip::)

Shukla

• World XI Star
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 07:43:43 AM »

true dat.

from an economics background, you can do pretty much anything, investment banking or consulting. working ass off on gmat is a must if you are looking for scholarships though...say 750 or nearabouts.

btw losingnow is the original god of mba. he helped me so much during my application. i am certain his advice is going to be sooo much more valuable.

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 06:07:56 PM »

true dat.

from an economics background, you can do pretty much anything, investment banking or consulting. working ass off on gmat is a must if you are looking for scholarships though...say 750 or nearabouts.

btw losingnow is the original god of mba. he helped me so much during my application. i am certain his advice is going to be sooo much more valuable.

yes, i've been thinking consulting for 5 years while i have high energy levels may not be a bad idea  :)

but gmat score..ya, aiming for high 700s, that's the only way i will even apply.

shuklaji, did you make a list of places with scholarships for int'l students? i haven't found anything on the web, short of going to each site and jotting info down.

mm

• 12th Man
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 05:49:06 AM »

whatever you do MAKE SURE you o to a brand name school even if they do not offer a scholorship.  Graduating from a top school will let you pay off any loans within a year or two.  I know that Nellie Mae and some other organizations offered loans to international students. do not make the mistake (as some of my friends and I did) of going to a school just because of the aid.  Harvard, Wharton, Duke, Dartmouth, NYC, Columbia, Stanford, Northwestern. U of Chicago etc...

Cover Point

• Team of the Century
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 02:39:38 PM »

whatever you do MAKE SURE you o to a brand name school even if they do not offer a scholorship.  Graduating from a top school will let you pay off any loans within a year or two.  I know that Nellie Mae and some other organizations offered loans to international students. do not make the mistake (as some of my friends and I did) of going to a school just because of the aid.  Harvard, Wharton, Duke, Dartmouth, NYC, Columbia, Stanford, Northwestern. U of Chicago etc...

Absolutely! I think I had said this before in another thread. Going to a top 5 school is critical. The money and name difference is TOO HUGE. Any upfront cost can be recouped. I wish someone had told me that when I was looking at MBA schools. A top 5 school will pay u back many many many many times over

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 06:21:57 PM »

Now if only Losingnow, the resident MBA God, would give some words of wisdom  :love7: :love7: :love7:

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 03:09:41 AM »

Now if only Losingnow, the resident MBA God, would give some words of wisdom  :love7: :love7: :love7:
LOL..

I shall speak after you conduct 2 months of penance in my name ;D ;D

--
On the topic of international loans etc. I dont know much..because I did not go through them..hence, I suggested talking to Avinash and Shukla who have done this recently. You can also call the admissions office of the reevant schools and get this information.

Very quickly on other important points..
1. As Shukla indicated, first develop a good answer for the question "why you want to do an MBA?". Your near term and medium term career goals. how do they tie with your past experience, how the MBA will help in this process etc. I know that they look like application questions..but you need to answer them honestly after due introspection. This will help you identify which schools you should apply to, what you should emphasize in your application process etc. I can assure you, if you have done this "thinking" right.. 90% of your battle is won!

2. Get at least 3 years of work experience (preferably related to your career goals). Most of the "real" learning in b-school happens by sharing one's knowledge and learning from other's perspectives in different business situations.

3. I agree with CP and others, the drop-off in quality (and therefore, payoff) after the top 5-6 schools is quite dramatic. The payoff difference becomes apparent not only at the time of graduation.. but also in the long run due to the quality of alumni network you have access to. Networking is a very important part of b-school education. Depending on the school you pick, the contacts you develop during your b-school education could be with future C-level executives in top organizations. Your contact with them in school and the fact that you are a fellow alum ..would sometimes open doors that maybe shut in other circumstances. Believe me, that access matters!!
Play with heart. Win with class. Lose with dignity

sudzz

• Team of the Century
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 08:20:08 AM »

Dex,
While I did not go to a B-school in the US and did so in India, the ground realities are largely the same.

While you cram up and crack Gmat, it is imperative to get your app in order and answer questions honestly first to yourself and then embellish them only if you can confidently pull it off. You application itself and your interview will play a big role in determining if you get selected and if you do you get a selection of your choice.

The other big aspect of your education you need to consider is what sort of work ex you want to go into B-school with.

Like LN said the two years or so that you will spend in B-school you will learn more through interactions and exchanges than through the course material itself.

Finally always go for brands in B-schools irrespective of the initial outlay you can ammortise the initial cost over the first 3-5 years of your career (consider that you will only get 50% of the actual bonus that you will get in this period). Any B-school in the top 5-10 will offer you a wider choice of not just jobs but of more powerful alumni and a contact base that will really help in more ways than you can imagine.

Of course the flip side of this argument is that a big name B-school only fetches you the first job beyond that its your own skill set that will propel you but always remember that the first job at a right place with a good package will ensure that your base always remains higher than market average.

fineleg

• Team of the Century
  • she is the IPL Winnah!
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 09:13:04 AM »

BTW - a while ago, I had seen this link somewhere: http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Degree=Master_of_Business_Administration_(MBA)/Salary

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/mba100/pay/

This seems to be quoting things on the 'low' side...any comments?

What is the median salary for folks graduating out of top schools?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 09:14:47 AM by fineleg »

avinashgodkhindi

• Test Match Star
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2007, 04:25:46 AM »

Dex sorry i hadn't had a look a this message/thread earlier. There is no one answer to which are the schools that give scholarships to intl students, if only it were that easy!!! There are aspects to it, are you talking of funding on for tuition fees or total living expenses? Are you thinking some funding or all of it? Are you going to work in and major in Marketing, then Chicago will give you some funding. Are planning to major in finance and work in I banks, then Kellogg may fund you., All the schools are looking to have a well rounded profille of students and placements and hence Chicago will encourage more marketing applicants ( strong ones!!!) and kellogg will look to add to its no. of I banking alums!!! In principal, there is some amount of funding in every school which applies also for internationals.

I suggest a few different angles to look at this:

1. Look at those schools that provide guaranteed loan to Intl's ( I don't know if you have a green card, if you have this is not an issue)
2. Are you looking to work in top corporations in I banking, Investment management, private equity,consulting? If yes target thee top 10 infact the M 7. Else it becomes very difficult. If not, for example if you are looking for commercial and retail banking, or a technology job or something in CPG marketing then other top 30 schools are good too.
3. Are you sure you want to work in the eUS after your MBA? Then a top 30 school is fine. If you want options across the globe in a variety of job profiles target M 7.

The moment you target M 7 you chances of schol go down. Its not impossible, I applied in the elast round at GSB and got a small one of 15 K but its tougher. If you don't have work ex it makes sense to wait for another 3-4 years if you are looking M 7. There are a lot of variables and this is complex, just like cricket and life!!!! A straight answer is a illusion of the ignorant, but thene again ignorance is blisss :-)

avinashgodkhindi

• Test Match Star
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2007, 04:57:45 AM »

Sorry the M 7 jargon is pretty common in B schools and business week forums. It stands for the following 7 schools in alphabetical order:

Chicago GSB
Columbia
Harvard
Kellogg
MIT
Stanford
Wharton

The deans of these schools meet every year or 2 years to discuss how to improve their b schools etc. Whatever, the rankings say each year these are the big boys.

The next 7-8 would be:

Berkley
Cornell
Dartmouth (tuck)
Darden
Duke
Michigan(Ross)
Stern

Pages: [1]   Go Up