Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Father faces the Devil's Alternative as BCCI politics rules the roost  (Read 8644 times)

kban1

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century

From ABP dated 2/24/06 -- (only significant sections of this report were translated into English, so advance apologies if some of you find minor errors)

************************************************************************************************************************
http://www.anandabazar.com/archive/1060224/24khela3.htm

Reported by Gautam Bhatatcharya in Calcutta

I am trying to guess my best what is going through Chandidas Ganguly’s mind, now that his son SG has been dropped from the Indian cricket team.

He must be wondering if he had he played a stroke off the playing square, his son’s test career (currently in ICCU) would have been revived. Because had father (CG) agreed with the current requests of the BCCI powers, there would have been enough impetus for SG’s selection in the team.

Whats the issue ? Nothing, its pretty simple. Chandidas Ganguly would simply have to accede with the Pawar group’s request.

The request – stand as candidate for the post of CAB president in July. This request has been communicated to Chandidas Ganguly numerous times by the current administration. They want CG to stand for president opposing JD. And all CG would have to say is that yes, I accede to it.

The dilemma for Mr. Ganguly senior –
--if he stands for election, he stands against his long time friend Mr. Dalmiya, and the upshot could be SG getting a fresh lease of life.
--if he refuses to stand, he maintains his friendship with Mr. Dalmiya, but might bury SG’s career.

Both Mr. Ganguly senior and the current board administration are aware of the high stakes in this quid pro quo game with SG as the political pawn, but as of Thursday, even after the tremendous set back for SG, Mr. Ganguly senior has remained firm in his decision not to run for the CAB President’s post.

Which leaves Mr. Ganguly Jr (SG) in the position of having to face destiny and his future on the strength of his own bat.

indcric

• World XI Star
Re: Father faces the Devil's Alternative as BCCI politics rules the roost
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 12:41:29 AM »

So by the extension of the argument does it mean that Pawar played the pressure tactics game by asking the selectors to sack Sourav from Test team?

ramshorns

• Team of the Century
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 12:44:50 AM »

From ABP dated 2/24/06 -- (only significant sections of this report were translated into English, so advance apologies if some of you find minor errors)

************************************************************************************************************************
http://www.anandabazar.com/archive/1060224/24khela3.htm

Reported by Gautam Bhatatcharya in Calcutta

I am trying to guess my best what is going through Chandidas Ganguly’s mind, now that his son SG has been dropped from the Indian cricket team.

He must be wondering if he had he played a stroke off the playing square, his son’s test career (currently in ICCU) would have been revived. Because had father (CG) agreed with the current requests of the BCCI powers, there would have been enough impetus for SG’s selection in the team.

Whats the issue ? Nothing, its pretty simple. Chandidas Ganguly would simply have to accede with the Pawar group’s request.

The request – stand as candidate for the post of CAB president in July. This request has been communicated to Chandidas Ganguly numerous times by the current administration. They want CG to stand for president opposing JD. And all CG would have to say is that yes, I accede to it.

The dilemma for Mr. Ganguly senior –
--if he stands for election, he stands against his long time friend Mr. Dalmiya, and the upshot could be SG getting a fresh lease of life.
--if he refuses to stand, he maintains his friendship with Mr. Dalmiya, but might bury SG’s career.

Both Mr. Ganguly senior and the current board administration are aware of the high stakes in this quid pro quo game with SG as the political pawn, but as of Thursday, even after the tremendous set back for SG, Mr. Ganguly senior has remained firm in his decision not to run for the CAB President’s post.

Which leaves Mr. Ganguly Jr (SG) in the position of having to face destiny and his future on the strength of his own bat.

Kban1:BCCI as the way it exists today is politics and power with very very high stakes.  There is no denying that.  I like "(SG) in the position of having to face destiny and his future on the strength of his own bat". I think it is destiny that brought an end to the career of SG IMO.  Most SG optimists will disagree with me but there is no light at the end of the tunnel for Mr.Ganguly at the moment.  Why destiny???? I think after all the decent starts in the last 4 innings one would think a three figure knock would be there for the taking in atleast one of them if the stars were lined up favorably.   That would have been an indication of some sought for SG after that Karachi test and I am sure somewhere in his mind he knew the writing was on the wall given the circumstances with the new management under GC and the direction they wanted to go.

kban1

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 12:50:03 AM »

indcric:

Thats an open question.

Maybe he did not exert pressure  to overturn GC and KM's role in excluding SG
or maybe this just means SG faces not just a performance battle but political obstacles in his bid to regain his place

Either way, pretty sad. As if the guy does not have enough enemies and obstacles already.

ramshorns:

yes he should face destiny with his own bat -no denying that.

But this means he is not only fighting a merit based battle, but is now a political pawn of the BCCI over and above the resistance he continues to face from GC over what I believe is the latter's ego.

ramshorns

• Team of the Century
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 01:01:46 AM »

ramshorns:
But this means he is not only fighting a merit based battle, but is now a political pawn of the BCCI over and above the resistance he continues to face from GC over what I believe is the latter's ego.
Kban1:I agree GC is a man with a big ego.  All greats in all sports are that way.  SG has one and SRT has one.  To a degree they earned that.  But I feel that should not interfere with the job at hand.  Else it is a conflict of interest.  I am not going to sit here and say that GC is out there to get someone and I still think he sincerly has Indian cricket intersts in mind.  Sure no one is perfect and GC has his shortcomings.  Partly SG has to blame himself for bringing the dressing room discussion during the ZIM series out into the public being a captain and then all bets were off and given the media circus it was too late to patch up.  I think as long as GC is the coach of this team I just do not think of a scenario where SG will be in the team.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 01:05:19 AM by ramshorns »

kban1

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 01:10:13 AM »

Oh of course

Both SG and GC have their egos.

After the review committe meeting SG called GC in the hotel itself but GC was not available. later GC called SG for a heart to heart but SG declined because he had a plane to catch, which GC took offense to.

See if I were SG, i would have cancelled my plane ticket and spoken with GC to mend fences. Thats SG's ego in play

And the fact that GC despite having won the battle (SG is not captain any more, is out of the ODI team, and is struggling for a test berth) has not given up shows GC's ego in play.

I think it is obvious that GC needs to step back and realize that the matter is over, it is time to bury the hatchet once and for all. I hope but like you, I doubt thats going to happen.

Again, I agree GC wants the best for Indian cricket, not sure if the end justifies the means. But yes, unless things change drastically SG will probably not appear in a GC coached team.

ramshorns

• Team of the Century
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 01:12:10 AM »

Oh of course

Both SG and GC have their egos.

After the review committe meeting SG called GC in the hotel itself but GC was not available. later GC called SG for a heart to heart but SG declined because he had a plane to catch, which GC took offense to.

See if I were SG, i would have cancelled my plane ticket and spoken with GC to mend fences. Thats SG's ego in play

And the fact that GC despite having won the battle (SG is not captain any more, is out of the ODI team, and is struggling for a test berth) has not given up shows GC's ego in play.

I think it is obvious that GC needs to step back and realize that the matter is over, it is time to bury the hatchet once and for all. I hope but like you, I doubt thats going to happen.

Again, I agree GC wants the best for Indian cricket, not sure if the end justifies the means. But yes, unless things change drastically SG will probably not appear in a GC coached team.

Complete agreement with that analysis.

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 04:49:28 AM »

Even if all this is true, I personally will not want SG to get into the Indian team this way. I hope he just goes back and scores heavily in domestic cricket and force his way in. or at least try to. If he still doesen't get in, the whole world can point a finger to BCCI, More and GC.

Yes, it is not fair dropping him right now, but sill doesen't justify the option of getting in via the backdoor.

That said, this kind of politics is sick !!! Seems like a movie to me.However, it does not surprise me at all with Pawar, a politician involved. ALso, BCCI was aways full of *ty politics.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 04:52:48 AM by justforkix »

gouravk

• Team of the Century
  • Which way will this ball swing ?
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006, 04:50:34 AM »

I wish he does not come back at all. It will only lead to more complications.
...Tvameva Vidya Dravidam Tvameva ... Tvameva Sarvam Mama Deva Deva !!

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2006, 04:55:39 AM »

I wish he does not come back at all. It will only lead to more complications.

Doesen't matter. if SG's coming back will help India to win in tests or ODIs, he should come back. i.e., bottom line is Indian win. complications etc. don't matter in the bigger scheme of things.

gouravk

• Team of the Century
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2006, 04:57:27 AM »

hehe... u really believe SG can make a difference now at this age to this team ?? a positive difference ? when was the last time he played an innings that really shone ? brisbane 2003. nothing after that.

kban1

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2006, 05:00:19 AM »

JFK:

I think the point here is that he has more than one obstacle to mount to get back in the team now if his dad does not agree  - form, selectorial whims, and now the BCCi politics.

Of course if his dad agrees, then the pressure from the board neutralizes the team management whim obstacle -- Which would mean one political decision (BCCI) would neutralize another political decision (selectors & coach) and SG would be selected provided he can hold his form.

But his dad (at least so far) has resisted all pressure to agree to BCCI's suggestion, and this even after he was dropped day before yesterday.

So, in effect, if he finds a place in the team, it will be on his own merit.

I am in agreement with you  --that I would like to see him back based on merit.  

gouravk

• Team of the Century
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2006, 05:24:20 AM »

so kban1
you are taking this report at face value ?

Jai

• Team of the Century
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2006, 05:35:47 AM »

so kban1
you are taking this report at face value ?

I had mentioned this probably yesterday or today morning. I have also read it somwehre, not so much in details, but along the same line. There was indeed a proposal to CG from the Pawar group and he declined. The face value part depends on you. You can either believe it or ignore it.

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2006, 06:01:56 AM »

hehe... u really believe SG can make a difference now at this age to this team ?? a positive difference ? when was the last time he played an innings that really shone ? brisbane 2003. nothing after that.

Yes. I think so. SG can make a positive difference in both ODIs and Tests. More so in ODIs. In tests, after that Gabba innings, he had a couple of 70s - MCG in a losing cause, Pindi, outshone by of course RD's 270. After that no significant contribution in his next 15 innings (excluding ZIm, BD of course). So, instead of citing 2-3 years, 2003, 2004 etc, I guess citing exact no. of tests/innings will be more unbiased. In ODIs, he had a couple of 90s in Eng, albeit one was against Kenya. This was in late 2004. AFter that he has played 12 ODIs. SO again, not 1 1/2 or 2 years, but 12 ODIs.

Maybe you think GG is more than a capable opener to replace SRT or VS in case of injury during WC07. I think that is a recipe for disaster. I believe SG is closest is terms of like for like replacement for SRT or VS. So, our best choice for backup opener for WC07.

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2006, 06:09:23 AM »

kban :

Yes. I understood the full content of the post. So, what the report is saying is that if SG's dad does contest the elections, SG can come back into the team if his recent form merits selection without politics, non-cricketing reasons coming in.

But still I feel GC got a unopposed and free say in SG's matter because of the 4-1 ODI series victory. The scenario might have been quite different if we had lost 1-4 or 2-3 as predicted by many.

cardus

• One Day Star
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2006, 06:28:53 AM »

Moot point is, Siraj-ud-daula and Mir Jafar have had differences and Robert Clive is making all the hay...

History Repeats Itself, the First Time as Tragedy, the Second Time as Farce [Karl Marx]

Meanwhile, I notice our diligent Rahul fan Teddy is starting hundreds of threads [maybe he's thinking he  is the Great Helmsman of the DG and should let a hundred flowers bloom] in order that certain pertinent threads get buried under their weight!

I say this because this is not the first time Teddy is doing this [I appreciate his industry], but dear Teddy, has any trauma ever been repressed without unfortunate consequences of the repression?
"To be an enemy of America can be dangerous, but to be a friend is fatal": Henry Kissinger

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2006, 06:51:52 AM »

Cardus,
I do not think it is nice to blame Teddy for doing a great job finding stuff on the net. One of the mods usually go around collecting articles and while the rest of us were busy debating the SG issue, he has still kept us updated. Nothing to blame him for. People are picking and choosing what to respond to, but it is nice that we have a collection of things. Kudos to Teddy. Anyway, I'll shut up so we can keep the focus on this VERY important bit of news Kban has translated for us

cardus

• One Day Star
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2006, 07:07:31 AM »

Oh! I'm sure Teddy is just doing his sacred duty!
"To be an enemy of America can be dangerous, but to be a friend is fatal": Henry Kissinger

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2006, 07:22:32 AM »

Oh! I'm sure Teddy is just doing his sacred duty!
Not everything here is a conspiracy.

kban1

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2006, 07:49:02 AM »

I think the article points out the dilemma his dad faces and presents the reader with a few alternatives to ponder

if dad agrees:
assuming form is present, SG gets in the team with BCCI veto overriding selection decisions taken by GC & KM

----- Then people will cry he used politics to get in (I can hear the reverbating cry from the anti SG crowd here) not withstanding the fact that it is currently politics that is keeping him out.

if dad does not agree (as he has indicated so far)
assuming form is present, SG has to supecede selection stakes (stacked against him) as well as possible BCCI politics

----- Under this secenario, he faces a near impossible battle to get in the squad. So his career (unless dramatic changes happen in the next few months) is as good as over.

And the people will still gloat, do the Indian smoke dance, and jump up & down like the rare specimen of the multi orgasmic male released from a 20 yr jail term saying SG deserves to be gone because he was a man who used politics for his spot.

What a predicament !!!!!!!!!!!

kban1

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2006, 07:49:43 AM »

jfk,

But still I feel GC got a unopposed and free say in SG's matter because of the 4-1 ODI series victory. The scenario might have been quite different if we had lost 1-4 or 2-3 as predicted by many.

Obviously!!

Would have been a harder sell otherwise.

Also, the absence of assent by father prevented a board directive to overturn selectorial decisions (that is also mentioned in the article)

kban1

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2006, 07:56:02 AM »

gouravk:

yes, i believe the article because

1) the publication
2) the reporter -- he is ABP's top reporter with respect to BCCI matters over the last decade or so. And in my experience, he has rareley been wrong about these BCCI inside matters (Events have proven him right --facts happening later on have borne out his writings published before)
3) I know a lot about CAB's workings, the roles that JD and Chandidas Ganguly had / continue to have in these organizations.
4) perhaps lost in translation to English is the fact that the report quoted Chandidas Ganguly while mentioning all of this (You can blame me for the deficiencies in translation).

tombaan

• World XI Star
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2006, 01:52:28 PM »

one who lives by sword dies by it....ganguly shouldnot have alligned himself or identified so much as dalmiyas boy....again remember amarnath here he was a victim of board politics and everytime he came back did that based on performance.....lala was a pariah for the board and his sons paid for it......sad but true....atleast ganguly got a chance look at someone like kale....poor guy is screwed and he like kalyani is a very talented bat....with very good performance. In india it always happens that way unless you are a chawla or tendulkar.....

CLR James

• Team of the Century
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2006, 04:01:43 PM »

indcric:

Thats an open question.

Maybe he did not exert pressure  to overturn GC and KM's role in excluding SG
or maybe this just means SG faces not just a performance battle but political obstacles in his bid to regain his place

Either way, pretty sad. As if the guy does not have enough enemies and obstacles already.

ramshorns:

yes he should face destiny with his own bat -no denying that.

There is one problem here. One can face one's destiny with one's bat only if one is allowed to bat.

gouravk

• Team of the Century
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2006, 04:21:52 PM »

gouravk:

1) the publication
2) the reporter -- he is ABP's top reporter with respect to BCCI matters over the last decade or so. And in my experience, he has rareley been wrong about these BCCI inside matters (Events have proven him right --facts happening later on have borne out his writings published before)
3) I know a lot about CAB's workings, the roles that JD and Chandidas Ganguly had / continue to have in these organizations.
4) perhaps lost in translation to English is the fact that the report quoted Chandidas Ganguly while mentioning all of this (You can blame me for the deficiencies in translation).
Hmmm .. just as I believe Prem on the Nagpur issue.

tombaan

• World XI Star
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2006, 04:34:50 PM »

gouravk:

1) the publication

well said gaurav...so do i

Cover Point

• Team of the Century
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2006, 06:25:23 PM »

There is one problem here. One can face one's destiny with one's bat only if one is allowed to bat.

He is allowed to .. he choses not to... in domestics that is.

KBan, I am not sure I take this article at face value.

There are two points the Gangulians are pointing to.

1) GC is the superman evil doer who wants to keep SG out at all costs!
2) It is the board politics and SG would have been in the team if his dad had agreed to Powar.

Which one is it? If GC is as powerful as he is being made out to be then why would 2 make a difference? Also, the last time SG wined and dined with Powar to get back into the team why was #2 not an issue then?

I think it is unfair to keep looking for conspiracies where there are none. I think there is a point about GC not wanting SG in the team ... on cricketing  grounds.. but I dont think all the other things matter.

SG has a chance to play domestics and score a mountain of runs and see how he can be ignored then. Last time he did that ... even if he scored just that one 100 .. he did get in the team! So he should just stop making excuses and show us that he stil has got it in him!

If he does that, and with the kind of support he still enjoys among fans , no amount of politics or GC would be able to keep him out. To make excuses for him that politics and all other things are involved BEFORE he has scored ANY runs in the domestics since being dropped is just being an apologist for him.

I personally think he is past it BUT if he can prove me wrong and score some BIG runs I will lead the charge and cheer to get him back in the team. I mean I am sure all of us want the best for team India. Dont we?

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2006, 06:31:49 PM »

He is allowed to .. he choses not to... in domestics that is.

KBan, I am not sure I take this article at face value.

There are two points the Gangulians are pointing to.

1) GC is the superman evil doer who wants to keep SG out at all costs!
2) It is the board politics and SG would have been in the team if his dad had agreed to Powar.

Which one is it? If GC is as powerful as he is being made out to be then why would 2 make a difference? Also, the last time SG wined and dined with Powar to get back into the team why was #2 not an issue then?

Neither are mutually exclusive. We know GC doesn't want Ganguly. There's no debate at all there. We know that's keeping him out. Now, the #2 is an interesting twist -- because Pawar CAN overrule GC (you will cry foul but it is GC's politics that's keeping him out right now anyway) but will only do so if Sourav's dad takes on his arch-nemesis

kban1

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2006, 08:53:26 PM »

gouravk and tombaan:

the difference between Prem's assertion and this article are 2 important points

1) this article quotes Chandidas Ganguly, and is therefore on the record and in print. To be confronted, denied, debated etc etc. So the options for verification are laid bare for everyone. The reporter here has gone on the record and stated something, complete with quotes.

2) Prem never wrote about it, neither did anyone else --all we hear is off the record, whispers and murmurs. No one went on the record, no one puts it in print and is therefore not open to verification, confrontation, denial or debate. In fact when some of us asked Prem why he did not publish it or why others didn't, he specifically responded that if they did, the Indian team management including SG and RD would totally deny it, thereby leaving the story with no ground to stand on.

What that means is there would be no support for the story, and the reporters (including Prem) did not have the conviction to state this out front in print  without concerns about their publication being shown in bad light.

No proof, no verification. There is another term for this  - it is called innuendo

kban1

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2006, 08:58:23 PM »

CP:

I think dextrous already responded to your question.

There are 2 issues here -- GC  and the selection committee
and
The BCCI - dad equation.

The latter can trump the former or the latter can be an additive to the former based on the decision taken by dad.

I do not disagree with you that the only course for him to score a mountain of runs in domestics. He has been doing so, and he will have to do even more than that.

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2006, 08:59:44 PM »

gouravk:

1) the publication

well said gaurav...so do i

gourav and tombaan - any links as what Prem's stand on this is ? I'm curious and want to read it.

dextrous

• Administrator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2006, 09:00:01 PM »

Yeah, for those that have missed -- he's been averaging 90 in the Indian domestic cricket. And averaged 60 in English FC cricket.

Cover Point

• Team of the Century
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2006, 10:00:15 PM »

CP:

I think dextrous already responded to your question.

There are 2 issues here -- GC  and the selection committee
and
The BCCI - dad equation.

The latter can trump the former or the latter can be an additive to the former based on the decision taken by dad.

I do not disagree with you that the only course for him to score a mountain of runs in domestics. He has been doing so, and he will have to do even more than that.

Thats the way for him because this third one (run scoring) can really trump 1 and 2. I am not bought into the conspiracy theories (CT)but even if these exist SG needs to show his desire and ability and score those runs. He scored them before the SL series and got in didnt he?

I think what disappoints me is that he continues to skip matches when he should be using every opp he can get to score. If he is playing a weak team ... then score a double hundred! Hard to ignore big scores!

Dont forget the last time he scored a 100 he got so much support from everyone that he did get selected. What all these CT's tell me is that his supporters dont have faith in him to stand head and shoulders above the rest of the competition in domestics and keep making excuses. There is time before the England ODI's ... lets see if he can prove himself to be head and shoulders above everyone else. Then IF he doesnt get selected we can talk about CT's and biases and what Asses GC and more etc are!

gouravk

• Team of the Century
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2006, 12:36:18 AM »

Yes and the fact of the matter remains the 4 times he got chances he scored 30s. He couldnt convert even one of them.

tombaan

• World XI Star
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2006, 12:56:37 AM »

but gaurav he was about to and the form was just around the corner

justforkix

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2006, 01:00:12 AM »

Yes and the fact of the matter remains the 4 times he got chances he scored 30s. He couldnt convert even one of them.

If the benchmark is the same for other players in the Indian team - it is OK with me. Key players in the same boat as SG in terms of performance in tests in the last 2 years - SRT, VVS. FYI - I don't agree with this benchmark. It is too short a rope for any player - old or new.

gouravk

• Team of the Century
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2006, 03:11:46 AM »

Another point is that Yuvi had made an almost irresistible case. Raina or anyone else has not yet made that case and hence the seniors still have some breathing space (read VVS)

Cover Point

• Team of the Century
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2006, 03:15:59 AM »

If the benchmark is the same for other players in the Indian team - it is OK with me. Key players in the same boat as SG in terms of performance in tests in the last 2 years - SRT, VVS. FYI - I don't agree with this benchmark. It is too short a rope for any player - old or new.

2 years is too small a time? Do you want a decade? You mean to say 4 innings is too small ... ok BUT in conjunction with his 2 years AND fielding it is enough.

Ok lets do the numbers (2 years starting Feb 1 2004 no minnows)

SRT batting average 38  2 hundreds
SG  batting average 27.25 0 hundreds
VVS batting average 31.68 1 hundred

So as you can see still only SG has an average in the 20's. We have all agreed that VVS is in a pickle himself and needs to deliver. But still has done MUCH better than SG. Tendulkar has a healthy average by most standards (much below his GREAT levels)

Let Lakhan have a couple of bad tests now and we will call for his head too.  

But even looking at this list if you had to kick out a MO bat .... SG seems valid. It also (validly) keeps VVS on notice that he needs to shape up in the scoring department.

gouravk

• Team of the Century
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2006, 03:18:43 AM »

See the scores by themselves were not bad - but they left the door open for questioning ... and the selectors did that. if one of them was a hundred, the selectors would have been left with no option ... thats why i was harping that he shud have converted his start in karachi in 100 than go for that atrocious pull shot
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up