Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anatomy of an omission  (Read 7672 times)

feverpitch

• Team of the Century
  • Capitalism's final crisis (cartoon from 1969)
Re: Anatomy of an omission
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2006, 11:22:19 PM »

- Must not use political connections

- ...unless they belong to the right Pawar-block!

- Should average more than 20's over a 2 year period

- ...unless you are the pin-up-boy for a certain cult of youth!

- Should not go crying to media when a frank opinion is shared.

- ...but most certainly pass disparaging comments in emails about your Captain to select 'friends' in the media! And keep repeating vile accusations about the same person amongst the same group of hacks, despite repeatedly countered on the same accusations by team members and manager!

- Should be able to cross over for a single if the ball goes almost as far as the boundary.

- ... but no problems if you cannot pierce the in-field, rather find the close in fielders with pin-point accuracy with well timed shots!
"Every rise of fascism bears witness to a failed revolution."
Walter Benjamin

devatha

• World XI Star
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2006, 11:34:41 PM »

- Should be able to cross over for a single if the ball goes almost as far as the boundary.

- Should not vigil in the team bus
- Should praise GC after hitting a good knock or after taking some wickets
- Should give all the credit back to GC & that kinseiologist
- Should not be from Kolkata
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 11:37:15 PM by devatha »

dhruvdeepak

• Team of the Century
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2006, 11:38:03 PM »

- Should not vigil in the team bus
- Should praise GC after hitting a good knock or after taking some wickets
- Should give all the credit back to GC & that kinseiologist

Heh, devatha, after openly declaring that it's time to bash GC (of course this is only fair since poor SG has copped it for so long, in your opinion) despite all your assertions of objectivity in the previous DG, will be reading your posts with a pinch of salt.
In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in a clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness. Our life is a long and arduous quest after Truth.
-- Mohandas K *hi

devatha

• World XI Star
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2006, 12:46:27 AM »

Dhruv

Those assertions are still valid. Bashing GC doesn't mean I support SG. I bash pretty much every player/coach/selector/support staff (except SRT), when somebody goofs up. Still, I give credit to GC or whoever when they do a good job.

keep-it-cool

• Team of the Century
  • Thanda Thanda Kool Kool
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2006, 04:31:48 AM »

A sad day indeed for Indian cricket.

1. A captain who decides to avoid a crucial selection meeting because:
a. He likes to skirt controversy [ie, lacks moral courage]
b. He's too much in the thrall of the kangaroo court that he knew would judge and hang his former comrade
An option of my own here: c) he is up to date with more recent modes of communications - a la conference calls
2. A selection committee that basically acts as a rubber stamp for a hired coach who is a foreigner.
Or a group that is not dogmatic and weigh current form v/s past achievements ... where "is someone good enough" is a relative and not an absoulte concept. Hired Coach: Would you rather they act on behalf of a coach that is not hired? Maybe Amarnath, Yashpal Sharma, Chetan Chauhan, Madan Lal, Maninder Singh, Mudassar Nazar, Moin Khan, Aaquib Javed, Imran Khan, Krish Srikanth etc who are never bereft of the magic wand to cure Indian cricket when they have a camera in their face or a ghost writer helping them out. Who is a foreigner : who incidentally was the cynosure of all eyes when he helped one particular Indian captain regain his batting form some years ago; maybe you would want to consider some of the earlier non-foreigner names instead.
3. A blinkered selectorial policy that believes in the cult of youth [like the Nazis]
Which is probably the reason why SRT, RD, VVS, AK, WJ are still members of the team ...

and yes, check this "Nazi" out: Mahatma *hi understood the dynamics of social change that could be executed only through Youth Power Which he tried successfully during the Independence movement He had realised the tremendous potentialities in the youth. Youth have by nature greater fellow feeling and sympathy, which make them fit instruments of social change Ethical and spiritual values can provide a sure basis for a creative social order. Analyzing the social milieu, *hi must have thought that students and youth are the only sections where idealism is still a force to reckon with. The first and the foremost reason for according such high priority to youth power as a vehicle of social change lay in *hi's perception that the youth have got the least vested interest of all
4. A group of fanatic supporters that are ready to lap up anything served up to them, as long as their favourite media manipulated punching bag is finished careerwise and scarred psychologically.
Yeah, that description sure sounds familiar ...;) Guess you were in a room full of mirrors
5. And a particular fan [Teddy] who deems it his duty to start a thousand threads on innane issues in order that pertinent threads get hidden under the pile of trash!
Cant comment ... do not know Teddy well and am not much of a stats expert myself
The makings of a Bollywood potboiler, except that once again I have to emphasise, the end result is really tragic for Indian cricket!

Hmm ... Bollywood potboiler indeed ... tragic?? well, tried very hard, but the tears just dont come ... maybe you saw some tearful people around ... arre bandhu ghabra mat ... yeh to khushi ke aansoo hain!!!

You sidestepped the first issue awkwardly. Development in communications technology does not change the fact that RD did not have the guts to be present. The Mr. Clean continues to pretend that the muck surrounding him does not touch him. His task seems to be to leave the dirty work to others and issue the pretty, cliched soundbytes himself.

I agree with you that the fact of Chappel being hired and being a foreigner should not be a point of discussion. Unless one is being an ethnophobic.

The fact that Mahatma *hi (as many others) had something nice to say about youth does not change the fact that transforming youth into a cult, an Absolutist national obsession pertaining to purity and regeneration is something the Nazis did more significantly than anyone else. Besides why bring in *hi at all into this? Is he infallible? *hi supported the Zamindari system. Do you? He was staunchly against industrialization. Are you?

Your final answers are purely rhetorical, so I have nothing to say about them.

I did not side step the first issue .. because there is no issue, in my view. Getting things done through teleconferences - often much more important than the selection of a team - is not unheard of, and is in fact gaining traction everyday. Why would you want your captain, who has to go through 5 days of grind in the heat in a few days, to waste an entire day travelling - when he can be as involved from home? It seems to be a very common sense approach to me, and I would want more of the same to happen in future. I work in a company that has operations across continents and, believe me, much more important decisions are taken this way on a much more regular basis ... I am sure I am not the only one. If you or anyone else wants to construe this as lack of guts, it is clearly your call. Many may agree with you; many may not. I do not, for one. And, I am sure RD does not care what you or I think about this.

I am not saying *hi is infallible. And I am also not saying that I support all his views / ideals. Just wanted to place another reference point. In any case, the comparison with Nazis is much more far fetched. As I pointed out in my earlier response, SRT, VVS, RD, AK (all comfortably above 30) and WJ (nearing 30) are still in the team; so while the thrust is on youth (and very rightly so), it is not a "bull in a china shop" exercise. I however strongly share the view that unless an ageing player can either a) meet a certain base level of standards w.r.t. factors such as fielding, running between the wickets and fitness, or b) set the field on fire with clearly superlative displays of batting / bowling, he is in trouble, and rightly so. The sport is getting more athletic day by day, and you either adapt or you fall behind. VVS, to my mind, is another player who need to pull up his socks - he was never a great fielder, but was very good at slip. However, he did show the ability to score big. Things seem have to have fallen off a bit on the batting front, of late, and if he does not recover soon, I believe one should look ahead. Unfortunately, in India, we have generally found our new batting / bowling stars through accidents, rather than design. SG and RD, for instance, may never have made it had Sidhu not walked off on that infamous England tour and Sanjay Manjrekar not been injured. We may never have rediscovered the improved AK, had HS not become injured in Australia. Serendipity is fine, but not always bankable - it is time we begin to plan ahead.

Further clarifications:

1. It is not just about the functionality of teleconferencing. Presence here matters. It sends out messages and signals. It matters that you attend the meeting and face the music of the press after that. It shows that you a convinced and committed about what you are doing. Teleconferencing, in this respect, in this particular context, is like entering through the backdoor, attending the meeting, and then leaving through the fire exit with the public waiting at the gates.

2. Again, it is not about how old players actually are (Aussie players have always been much older; apart from Clarke, who has debuted before 30?). It is also not about fitness here (certainly SG and VVS deserved a rap on the wrist about that). It is about creating an aura with an obviously hyperbolic statement (23-24 years average age) and then using that as an apparent gospel truth to do anything, the latest being the dropping of SG and ZK (what did he do wrong as a test bowler in Pak)?

3. It is also about a megalomaniac's disturbing desire to ultimately bring everything under his control and build a team in his own image.

On the first point: I may be wrong, but I do not ever remember an Indian captain being present in the press conference to announce the team; it has always been the board secretary along with the chairman of the board of selectors who has been doing this in the past as well. In fact, I agree with you that it would help if the captain can be present at press conferences - often used to tear my hair off while listening to SK Nair announcing the team and wonder why SG cannot be there and add a lot more colour to the announcement. But I guess that's the way it always has been - often ODI teams are announced when test matches are on and again the captain cannot be physically present. If the captain being physically present at team selections and addressing the press is made a regular practice, then great .. but till then, I think it absolutely makes no sense for the captain to physically go over if he is somewhere else - it just does not serve any purpose. And again, why should there be any exception made for SG's exclusion - I know he is a great player, but then it may also transpire that he will, in future, be in and out of the team ... so does that mean that for every selection committee meeting where SG is dropped or included, RD needs to be physically present??

On the second point I agree with you that youth alone should not be the criterion for selection ... just that so far, I personally do not see anyone who has been given a raw deal due to the youth focus. As must be evident by now, I support SG's exclusion - especially in ODIs as I think he is a liability on the field and his bowling has lost any bite that it used to have earlier. The same applies to kumble, laxman, zaheer - now in some cases, we may not have alternatives and may need to carry them on for some more time; but in SG's case we have alternatives, with SRT and VS being the settled openers and MSD able to step in, in case of an emergency. If the super sub rule were still in practice, we could have looked at using SG and AK, but with that option no longer available, I see no way in for the two. As far as tests are concerned, I do believe that this is the time to start blooding youngsters ... SG has not been setting the field on fire anyways and had to lose out ... tough call, but understandable. It could be Laxman next, if he does not pull up his socks. And on ZK, he may not have done anything wrong on the test tour to Pakistan, but then he did not do enough to make his place in the team his own. He is clearly not penetrative in unhelpful conditions - irfan pathan is not either, but he is still better than zaheer and he bats as well and is not an apology on the field. So, if we decide that we need to find someone with more pace, someone in the side had to lose out and clearly zaheer was most vulnerable.

On the third I really do not see that .. I mean look into the team and you find virtually no one who is similar to chappel in image ... and I have no issues if chappel does manage to turn the team into a ruthless lot ...
Sachin Tendulkar gave the muhurat clap for 'Awwal Number' - that apart, he hasn't done much wrong in the last 20 yrs!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up